WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for first motorhome (possibly)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That chassis and drivetrain will have a difficult time with more than 4000lbs towing

Good to know!! 4,000 isn't shit.. My Schiada weighs more than that on the trailer I'd bet.

RD

Universal Elements

Reaction score
We are going to sit down and go over the list tonight and see which one makes the most sense. For me the cheaper the better.. lol

Personally something like this makes a lot of sense to me..
https://www.rvt.com/Thor-Motor-Coac...do-TX-ID8593095-UX50219#.XifekdLRHuE.facebook

I don’t know shit about motor homes though so when we get our list narrowed down I’ll post it in the thread and ask for feedback from Steve and the other guys that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.

You want something 2-3 feet longer. They usually have the big double door refrigerators and you definitely want the 2 bathrooms. The front one will have the sink and toilet and the back one will be a full one with shower/bath.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
i bought this super C salvage title (theft recovery). Has an 8.1 gas. Sleeps a ton of people, all 3 kids CAN sleep on the top bunk if they want, but there are also 3 separate beds up front and the queen in the back. Holds 96 gal of fresh water. The moho all loaded up weighs ~19,450lbs, and I commonly tow 5-10K behind it. I have towed my carrera, my dodge cummins on a trailer, the rock crawler, an enclosed with all the bikes and stuff, etc. Overall length is 33'6", which gives me a solid 31.5' to work with and still be legal in all the states we travel.

The 8.1 tows it all great. Has good ground clearance and gets taken off road a bunch. Ive had it some pretty stupid places. When we take it to the lake, I get it down in some stupid sandy spots that require me dragging it in with my deuce and a half.

All in all...it does everything you listed you want to do. You can also get the same model with a duramax if you want a little more power, but I am overly impressed with the 8.1. I have put ~20K miles on it over the last 5 years and only occasionally have i wished to have more power. Mainly in the hills of colorado, at 30Klbs combined.

Pic attached is when I just bought it and towed the carrera with it. Also, since it is on a kodiak chassis, you can find the front axle/t case out of a 4wd kodiak and do the swap, if you wanted 4wd. The bottom attached pic is one that has been converted.

I just wish mine was all white...but its super functional, and I got into it SUPER cheap!

FWIW, my dad has a Super C gulfstream supernova like posted a few posts up, and it has the VT365 and it is pretty anemic. We have done head studs, gaskets, all the 6.0 bulletproof stuff, and a tuner...and my 8.1 still runs circles around it.

IMG_7124.JPG

photo 4.PNG

user69655_pic15106_1410128472.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
There is a guy I’ve seen a couple of times at the Islander, he has a 42-45ft (tag axel) pusher and tows a 36 Daytona. That is a LONG set up lol

friends parked next to him during Monster Bash.
Blew the drive on boat and trailered it back to CA behind the pusher. Long ass setup

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
there are over 750 motorhomes for sale in Utah today. Look at www.ksl.com Tons of RVs for sale.

1. www.KSL.com
2. click on classifieds
3. click on Recreation Vehicles
4. click on Motorhomes

you can scroll by price, take a look, there is a shit ton for sale under 100K.

fmo24

Reaction score
I've been looking all day and I've found some pretty nice ones. But I REALLY want the bunks and I see thats where the problem is going to be. I told Dave we should take a trip to Quartzite to see if we can find something. Do you guys think it's worth the trip?
Right now is the big show. Lots of used coaches on all the dealers lots. Town is madness on weekends so go during week.

fmo24

Reaction score
On pushers the transmission is the limiting issue. 2500 (least desirable in my opinion) is on smaller horsepower engine (under 300) I think. The 3000 is on coaches with the 380-450 horse Cummins then the 4000 on tags and big horse high torque engines.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
for towing 10k, you'll want to go diesel

I wanted a shorter rig last time around but ended up with a 39' and glad I did. You'll always like the extra space, and the longer the wheel base, the better it usually drives. In that price range, you should be able to find plenty of used rigs that fit your needs. Just make sure it has the Allison 3000 trans or bigger and hopefully more than 300HP.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you guys are putting motorhomes up in the thread please put the price as well!

In about an hour Stacy and I are going to go through and try to make heads or tails of all of this.. It's a lot of information for people that don't know anything about motorhomes.

What in the thread so far makes the most sense for us / bang for the buck?

RD

Singleton

Reaction score
If you guys are putting motorhomes up in the thread please put the price as well!

In about an hour Stacy and I are going to go through and try to make heads or tails of all of this.. It's a lot of information for people that don't know anything about motorhomes.

RD

Figure out your ‘must haves’ vs ‘nice to have’ then that answer can be provided.

You and your wife have listed different things in this thread. Get he MUST and NICE list agreed to then we will be able to answer which rig in this thread will work best.

Singleton

Reaction score
Another item to think about.
Must CA state parks and Federal state park limit RV’s to 36-38’. Once you get over that length, very difficult to get a spot. At 36-38, you can find spots at almost 95% of the parks

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We are going to sit down and go over the list tonight and see which one makes the most sense. For me the cheaper the better.. lol

https://www.rvt.com/Thor-Motor-Coac...do-TX-ID8593095-UX50219#.XifekdLRHuE.facebook

I don’t know shit about motor homes though so when we get our list narrowed down I’ll post it in the thread and ask for feedback from Steve and the other guys that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.
run, don't walk away from that one.... that model almost broke thor…. the slide with two gears was horrible... the freight shaker is under powered… and ride like crap...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
D

RD
Dave,,,... don't be afraid to go gas v-10.... you can always just not run full throttle...I have a 30' gasser right now that I tow 10k with... does it with ease... drop down bunk, table bed, sofa bed... king bed in the rear bedroom... out side tv, out side kitchen

DSC04652.JPG
DSC04653.JPG
DSC04622.JPG

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Class A Diesel Pusher on a Spartan Chassis, with a Side Radiator.

Finding one with Bunks in the $80k-$100k price point is going to be difficult.

I like Stacy's idea of having the kids have a separate area that isn't in the living room, so the adults can hang out for a few hours at night.

That said, what about converting the bedroom into a bunk room for the kids?

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
This is with my 16" trailer, just upgraded to a 20" with a 12" height added. Rig looks great, it's a good size RV with a drop down bunk, sofa that makes into a bed and kitchen seating that makes into a small bed.

Attachments

• IMG_9020.JPG
    IMG_9020.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9013.JPG
    IMG_9013.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 201

C08H18

Reaction score
@RiverDave 15 yrs ago i was in the in a similar position. We cycled thru tag trailers, 5th wheels, toy haulers and finally a 36' Country Coach pusher on a Gillig bus chassis w/ big block cummins power and 10K hitch. We kept that 12 yrs, longer than anything else we owned. Looking back, here are some key factors -

- we only needed 18' of trailer, so i had a custom trailer built. 2' matters in this game and I'm glad i went this route.
- we used fold out couches for the kids rather than bunks etc. this worked great. as the kids got older, they went to bed late, so having a 'fixed' bed would have been wasted space in the long game.
- Don't skimp on the conversion. Country Coach makes good shit and I had few headaches with the conversion. Radiator, tires, air dryer, suspension parts, shocks, air compressor were the big ticket items- all related to the chassis manufacture.
- a MH is not a launch vehicle. just ask someone to launch your boat and guy him a drink later that night...

Kids gone now, Shortest Super C is in my future.

FishSniper

Reaction score

RD
Friend brought a new gas Allegro Open road last year and he already is wanting to sell and get one with diesel power. There is a reason large equipment and the big rigs are all diesel especially with you planning to tow with it your gonna want the extra torque and power the diesel will provide.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Lots of great opinions. Personally, I think you’re better off going with a diesel and I wouldn’t be afraid of an older one, if it’s a quality manufacturer. My uncle has a 2001 Signature Series with a 500 Cummins and it’s probably one of the best driving coaches I’ve ever driver.

My family has had several Country Coaches. Our first was a 1996 with a 300 Cummins and we towed a 28’ trailer with 4 quads and a buggy in it. It was never down on power, but it wasn’t the fastest up the hills. Took it St. Anthony’s a few times and it never had an issues, just set the cruise and go. It didn’t have a slide, so we had opposing couches that met in the middle and we slept 3 across it all the time.

One of my favorite coaches was a 2002 CC intrigue. Had a 400 Cummins in it and it was a great coach. Towed a 22’ trailer to Florida and back and the thing was a runner. Also towed a 27’ Hallett with it a few times.

DF3A5FF2-880A-4B40-AF1A-554476614EF7.jpeg

RVRKID

Reaction score
Just saw this one on FB and it looks like a pretty good deal, no bunks though.
IMG_8992.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brgrcru

Reaction score
We have had our 26' class c rv v10 for 15 years .
It's Been a great moho.
I have been pulling smaller River rod boats, to parker and Blythe and back home, its entire time . 60 k miles . No problem . Also to glamis with a two seat rail .

Once we started pulling our new malibu VTX back and fourth to the delta over the grape vine . I realized right away , I need a diesel moho. There were times , when I got stuck behind a truck . no way in hell , am I going to get any momentum , to get around this big rig doing 20-25 mph. So there I am chugging between 15/20/25 mph.
On a good day with no interference going up the hill , maybe 35 mph . At 4k rpm.
Trying to baby it . It will pull hills , and it has passed other rv's going up the hill. But it will wear out sooner or later .
Not that I plan on running hills at 55mph . But 45 mph and not laboring the drivetrain .
Where the v10 is just screaming at me at 35/45 . At 4 k rpm.

So now we're in the market also.
I really like the super c , as I like having drivers and passenger doors. We like the truck front end. Probably because of my trucking days , the overhead , that actually blocks a lot of the sun , from hitting you while diving .

Mostly likely buying used , no carpet though , has to have oven. For chocolate chip cookies .

RodnJen

Reaction score
It's Been a great moho.
I have been pulling smaller River rod boats, to parker and Blythe and back home, its entire time . 60 k miles . No problem . Also to glamis with a two seat rail .

Once we started pulling our new malibu VTX back and fourth to the delta over the grape vine . I realized right away , I need a diesel moho. There were times , when I got stuck behind a truck . no way in hell , am I going to get any momentum , to get around this big rig doing 20-25 mph. So there I am chugging between 15/20/25 mph.
On a good day with no interference going up the hill , maybe 35 mph . At 4k rpm.
Trying to baby it . It will pull hills , and it has passed other rv's going up the hill. But it will wear out sooner or later .
Not that I plan on running hills at 55mph . But 45 mph and not laboring the drivetrain .

I really like the super c , as I like having drivers and passenger doors. We like the truck front end. Probably because of my trucking days , the overhead , that actually blocks a lot of the sun , from hitting you while diving .

Mostly likely buying used , no carpet though , has to have oven. For chocolate chip cookies .
Thank you, never thought about the overhang blocking the sun.

A question for some of you with a residential fridge, what do you do when you dry camp? Do you run the coach generator? Carry a satellite generator and run a cord?

Emac

Reaction score
Thank you, never thought about the overhang blocking the sun.

A question for some of you with a residential fridge, what do you do when you dry camp? Do you run the coach generator? Carry a satellite generator and run a cord?

I run a residential fridge in our Monaco and dry camp 99% of the time. The fridge will run for two -three days before batteries are drained. This is of coarse with nothing else being used. I added solar and it will keep batteries up but then you rely on the sun. I Cary a little Honda 2000 watt and will run that to keep everything up if needed. If not I have the 8kw that’s built in. Never had any issues though with killing the batteries with the residential fridge.

RCDave

Reaction score
I run a residential fridge in our Monaco and dry camp 99% of the time. The fridge will run for two -three days before batteries are drained. This is of coarse with nothing else being used. I added solar and it will keep batteries up but then you rely on the sun. I Cary a little Honda 2000 watt and will run that to keep everything up if needed. If not I have the 8kw that’s built in. Never had any issues though with killing the batteries with the residential fridge.
Same experience here with a similar setup

RCDave

Reaction score
It's Been a great moho.

Just a little experience for reference. I have a 2009 tiffin Allegro bus 36qsp. It's really 37' and has a Cummins 8.9 425 hp diesel.

Fully loaded and pulling a 4000-4300 car, it matches up the grapevine at 55, not wot. 2000 rpm. Pretty mellow driving experience

brgrcru

Reaction score
Just a little experience for reference. I have a 2009 tiffin Allegro bus 36qsp. It's really 37' and has a Cummins 8.9 425 hp diesel.

Fully loaded and pulling a 4000-4300 car, it matches up the grapevine at 55, not wot. 2000 rpm. Pretty mellow driving experience

That's nice , while i am screaming at 4 k going 30mph . Watching thhe gas gauge use a quarter tank climbing up the grapevine.

srttruck

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36pdq im going to sell in a couple months. Not a bunk house, Cummins 400hp 1250tq , 10k tow.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

Do you know how many Amp Hours of reserve your battery bank has?

Tank

Reaction score

Meaney77

Reaction score
This thing seems to check off a LOT of the required boxes for you guys RD. Full fridge, bunks, V10 will pull large trailer, roomy, nice creature comforts and in your price range.
Its to bad about some of the interior colors:eek::D

Tank

Reaction score
Its to bad about some of the interior colors:eek::D
You talking about that first interior pic? LOL I think it's the lighting of the photo. The leather is actually a dark brown not plumb. Pretty nice.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Bunks are a BAD Idea! IMO They are almost always VERY close, if not almost in the Master bedroom. Unless you're comfortable banging around in the workshop with the kids on the otherside of a VERY thin door or less, Keep the kids up front. Your Coach should be like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. When we're hanging out with people, it's outside if the kids are crashed, most like ours have a TV and entertainment setup outside and your seating space is only limited to the number of lawn chairs around.
If you're long hauling on trips, a pusher will ride better IMO. If you're on shorter trips, something like a dynamax or renegade would be better for you're wanting to tow

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score

Dave we LOVE our Palazzo! BUT... prior to about 1/2 way through '14 they came with only one track (where the slide motor moves the slide- you can see the single track on the passenger side pic with the slide out). Single track wall slides are the BIGGEST complaint on the Palazzo forums, and many dealers have upgraded them to triple tracks. If you're serious about this unit, make sure to have the dealer do the upgrade for you!
Under storage is awesome on Palazzos! And the comment that it wouldn't tow over 4000# is bull shit. Ours usually drags my Avalanche around behind it like it's not there (at just under 6000#'s loaded with bikes and shit) and I've pulled our 28' enclosed with an old Caddy in it without any problems. On the hwy, I usually run 75-80 and mine averages 9-9.2 mpg, but there's ol'folk on the forums that cruise down in the low to mid 60's that say they're getting 13-14 mpg with a toad. We have the 36.1 that's 39' tip to tail and it will walk my dads 40' Monaco flat or on a grade, and not get hot doing it. The Palazzo weighs about 12000 less though.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
bunks are cool in theory, but they are tiny and the kids grow through them pretty quick... and then after that, you have some serious wasted space eating up your floor plan.

My kids are 8 & 10 and they sleep on the fold out sofa bed. They are good sleepers, so if we are in and out to make a drink or what not, they aren't bothered. I'd rather hang out by the fire when they are sleeping than inside the motorhome.

current: fleetwood discovery 39' w/ 3 slides
IMG_5587.JPG

before that, had a fourwinds / thor hurricane gasser V10 34' w/ one slide. We liked the floorplan and space etc, but the thing was a nightmare to drive.... any wind at all and it was white knuckle, about to flip over type experience. The diesels drive sooooooooooo much nicer.

IMG_2870.JPG

HBCraig

Reaction score
Bunks are a BAD Idea! IMO They are almost always VERY close, if not almost in the Master bedroom. Unless you're comfortable banging around in the workshop with the kids on the otherside of a VERY thin door or less, Keep the kids up front. Your Coach should be like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. When we're hanging out with people, it's outside if the kids are crashed, most like ours have a TV and entertainment setup outside and your seating space is only limited to the number of lawn chairs around.
If you're long hauling on trips, a pusher will ride better IMO. If you're on shorter trips, something like a dynamax or renegade would be better for you're wanting to tow

What he said RD.

For you, right now, a Class C or super C that has sleeping in the front would be great.

brgrcru

Reaction score
bunks are cool in theory, but they are tiny and the kids grow through them pretty quick... and then after that, you have some serious wasted space eating up your floor plan.

My kids are 8 & 10 and they sleep on the fold out sofa bed. They are good sleepers, so if we are in and out to make a drink or what not, they aren't bothered. I'd rather hang out by the fire when they are sleeping than inside the motorhome.

current: fleetwood discovery 39' w/ 3 slides
View attachment 838307

before that, had a fourwinds / thor hurricane gasser V10 34' w/ one slide. We liked the floorplan and space etc, but the thing was a nightmare to drive.... any wind at all and it was white knuckle, about to flip over type experience. The diesels drive sooooooooooo much nicer.

View attachment 838308

oh god don't mention wind . lol specially a head wind.

hawgty55

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what we say youll know exactly what you didnt get as soon as you purchase your 1st one. Lol. If you cant tell most of us have made purchases up and down the spectrum. I moved up over my last couple but now moving back down. Life changes. Good luck