WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why Are Motorhome Paint So Ugly?

BajaMike

Reaction score
Why are motorhome paint/vinyl exteriors so fucking ugly? They start out ugly, and in 5 years they are all faded out and looking uglier.

I don’t get it. You would never buy a boat, truck or airplane that was painted like that shit.

I would much rather see a solid color (white or yellow or light blue) with a racing strip and forget about all the ugly swirls and vinyl crap they put on them. Aside from being hideous from the start, the age badly and really date the motorhome.

See below as examples of brand new motorhomes.....ugly.....I would not want to have one of those in my driveway.

F61FCE35-83FF-479B-8E2D-EC2780089533.jpeg

jet496

Reaction score
I think the same thing. All of them are ucking fugly. There must be a reason because they're all like that. My guess is to weather the sun & not show aging & scratches.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Why are motorhome paint/vinyl exteriors so fucking ugly? They start out ugly, and in 5 years they are all faded out and looking uglier.

I don’t get it. You would never buy a boat, truck or airplane that was painted like that shit.

I would much rather see a solid color (white or yellow or light blue) with a racing strip and forget about all the ugly swirls and vinyl crap they put on them. Aside from being hideous from the start, the age badly and really date the motorhome.

See below as examples of brand new motorhomes.....ugly.....I would not want to have one of those in my driveway.

View attachment 837450

Ugly or not I won’t be affording any of these for at least another ten years (my current Southwind is 14, old enough to be in the 8th grade if human). By then I’ll be too old to drive the damn thing and probably won’t care any way!

riverroyal

Reaction score
Cause they design for a mid states person over 65 thats why.
Just the market.
They are also not designed on the west coast by performance boaters.
Although, ive seen so shit gel coats in the last few years.

I just got a new rig. 50 50 on removing the graphics now

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

View attachment 837450

Hater! Lol

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
They will do anything to make the shoebox look fast when parked. Hell, I remember when every boat, motorcycle, and tattoo was tribal so this doesn't look that bad to me.

hawgty55

Reaction score
To me they look like every other boat I see from the mold being put out there guess that's what's in. Every once in awhile I see a boat where somebody actually design something nice and stepped out of their red and blue comfort zone.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I think the vinyl wraps hide the imperfections in the exterior panels. If they were painted it would stand out more.

I think the same thing. All of them are ucking fugly. There must be a reason because they're all like that. My guess is to weather the sun & not show aging & scratches.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
IMG_0418.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg
IMG_0415.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0411.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0368.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg
Most are stored outside in the weather so they are worse than a comparable car at 20 years.

Stickers are the worst.....they fade at different rates and dog ear when you try to polish them.

Ive got an older pre slide out rig, but a still a diesel pusher with an allison 6 speed.

I did whats called a stage 1 paint job about 10 years ago - thats where you pull the stickers and paint where they were and polish everything else up to as high a gloss as you can get it.

UD

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 837644 View attachment 837645 View attachment 837646 View attachment 837647 View attachment 837648 View attachment 837649 View attachment 837650 View attachment 837651 View attachment 837652 Most are stored outside in the weather so they are worse than a comparable car at 20 years.

Stickers are the worst.....they fade at different rates and dog ear when you try to polish them.

Ive got an older pre slide out rig, but a still a diesel pusher with an allison 6 speed.

I did whats called a stage 1 paint job about 10 years ago - thats where you pull the stickers and paint where they were and polish everything else up to as high a gloss as you can get it.

UD
In my eyes that's a perfect rig. Good era with less electronics, and less to go wrong in general. Still built like a brick shithouse though;)

BajaMike

Reaction score
View attachment 837644 View attachment 837645 View attachment 837646 View attachment 837647 View attachment 837648 View attachment 837649 View attachment 837650 View attachment 837651 View attachment 837652 Most are stored outside in the weather so they are worse than a comparable car at 20 years.

UD

Looks good!

traquer

Reaction score
I don't think anyone really cared enough until now to change the trend. Honestly I think they're not great, but not terrible either.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Thanks guys she came out nice for an older gal....

Little plastic surgery (paint and sticker) nip and tuck - surgery and she looks a lot better than the green and harvest gold....

UD

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I could order one new I'd order it solid color and call it a day..

RD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I used to wonder why even mid 2000's RV's had grandma's interior - light blue tones, crochet rose patterns, gold light fixtures.....till somebody mentioned the answer. "Grandma is the one buying the damn thing" I guess the retired generation dictates Motorhome design for the most part. But the exterior.....when you find that out, you will also understand Kachina

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If I could order one new I'd order it solid color and call it a day..

RD
You can...Renegade, Show Hauler, etc...White, Black, Red...But the entry fees are beyond the "Average Baller"

Most would tow most anything you may end up with, CC or giant tilt. I have one on my checklist...right after buying winning Lotto ticket.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
CDF5B582-B2B7-4939-9074-242A570FA59F.jpeg
I guess it’s all personal preference, I never seem to see an ugly motorhome when I pass by marathon coach up in Oregon