WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for first motorhome (possibly)

TCHB

Reaction score
Well we are down in Quartzsite.. Don’t botherWith the RV show.. Lol. What a bunch of carnes..

Tell them you want to spend a 125 and they show ya 200’s.. etc. They say they do an inspection but will brag that they will take your trade and sell it the same day?

we went in a few and I opened the freezer and there was spilled frozen peas spilled everywhere and I don’t think they took it in on trade more than a few hours before?

We went over back across the bridge to La Mesa RV. I really like this place, huge selection and the guy JJ we talked to was really mellow, even if you could tell he was a salesman at heart.. “let me help you rip this one” type shit like he’s gonna do us a favor over management.. lol. Either way low pressure and super nice guy.

At the show we went through several 2019 Holiday Ramblers that I thought were super nice. They were gas but made amazing use of the space and Stacy got her bunk option in at least one of them. They are gas coaches and I’m not sure if they will pull that enclosed trailer or not? I’m inclined to believe they will. I don’t think they are gonna Paul a 28-33’ boat though or even my existing Hallett to lead or powell.

mad went to la Mesa and looked at an older Monaco signature. I was in love but Stacy was out.. lol

After bouncing around I absolutely love the Fleetwood Providence 41’ tag axle. That thing with the double slides is flipping huge inside. Has 3 beds for kids up front and the hallway to the bedroom is still wider than most other single slide motor homes. Lol

The one I was looking at was a 2014 35,000 miles 1200hrs on gen perfect shape and they want 159k.. (way out of our range). Stacy didn’t like making the beds each day but the room inside is undeniable and we are entertaining kinda people. You can put a lot of people in that thing and not feel cramped..

downside is it’s fucking huge.. I have no idea where I’d keep something like that. Outside storage or a storage unit.

we are back to the drawing board..

We did look at some super C’s they feel very tight inside?

I’m considering abandoning the idea of towing a boat, going back to just our enclosed trailer and looking hard at gas coaches..

Any thoughts?
Smart idea.

Tank

Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

Your’re driving down I-40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up and hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad, I have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV - fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom, i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull a tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of 5000 rpm as you creep along at 40mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.

Jerry! Bro, that is fuckin fantastic! Post of the year right there. I was actually laughing out loud. Holy shit. Vivid images there.

TCHB

Reaction score
The newer gas coaches come with the new 6 speed trans. Makes a big improvement

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Remember if you tow a boat with it you are probably going to have to launch with it. My moho is 32 ‘ and and a 25 shockwave and I still won’t do it. We end up towing with the truck. Screw that shit almost 60 feet on the launch ramp. No thanks:D

Mines 33' and my wife has no problem unloading our carrera on the ramps. :)

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

Your’re driving down I-40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up and hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad, I have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV - fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom, i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull a tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of 5000 rpm as you creep along at 40mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.

Ive read this like 9 times, and laugh out loud every time!!

So accurate!!! I grew up in a moho, and all my friends/cousins always wanted to ride to the lake with us so they could watch tv, lounge around, etc. All they got was getting yelled at by my dad to sit the fuck down every time they stood up, unless he needed them to pick up the food that fell out of the fridge cause someone didnt latch it. :)

I still do the same with my kids. Even if they look like they are going to get out of their seat, I commence the yelling.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

Have you been following me up the el cajon pass?

RCDave

Reaction score
I just wanna say this...the bigger and more it's like home.... the more it stays parked... the smaller and more car / truck like...the more it gets used...
getting in and out of shows is a mo-fo with big rv's and trailers..

I have a 30' gas...it is absolutey the best 30'r out there... smoother riding then every 34' pusher I've ever owned....with less rattles....except for the holy grail alpine.... most I got rid of after a couple trips...rattling all over the road.. creeping up grades , fuel guzzling ,harsh riding junk...I've probley owned 40 DP's and I couldn't get 14 mpg with it idling on a flat bed tow truck.... .... wait till you are headed down a 7/8% grade in a pusher

I've had the old f'r tell me how quiet their pusher is, I reply, put some battery's in your hearing aid, you can't even hear me talk setting next to me...

no one wants to admit they bought a POS that just sits at the storage yard...till it's sold...

My experience with a quality pusher coach (Tiffin Allegro Bus, Newmar Dutch Star, American Eagle Coach, Country Coach, etc) built on a quality chassis (Powerglide, Spartan, Peak, Dynomax) is they don't exhibit the traits you mention.

I know from riding in mine (Powerglide) and a few friends coaches (Spartan) is the following:

* They are very quiet. Almost no engine noise regardless of load.
* Interiors are pretty tight. Not much rattles, etc.
* Ride is plush for a 25-35K rig. Much better than any class A gasser or Super C I've been in.
* Downhill control with a DP is exceptional. Chassis with two stage exhaust brakes are far superior to gassers downhill. I know with a 4-5K towing load in mine, using just the first stage maintains a comfortable speed down steep grades. Using the 2nd stage results in reducing downhill speeds. I haven't needed to use the service brakes on mine down grades unless traffic conditions require it.

Singleton

Reaction score
This thread is awesome.
Reminds me of when I was looking at RV’s. So glad I ended up with the custom ToyHauler I purchased from an RDP member. Works so much better for our family.

Only advise I can give to @RiverDave and @RiverDiva - no matter what you get, after 2 or 3 trips you will realize what things you are missing and what options you have that are useless. Only time we have sat inside the trailer is when the wind and sand was blowing 40+ outside and we did not want to pack up and leave at night.
Other thing, if you like what you get, you can always update and add those things you are missing. That’s what we did - added second AC, 2k watt inverter. Next up, building some custom wall mounted, roll over sofas in the rear to give us a better spot to sit and eat at.

fmo24

Reaction score
Can I get opinions on this one? It is the right length, and it’s a Tiffin.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/58036837
We had a 32 SA which has a king bed. Nice coach. A bit tight if you have someone sleeping on the fold out bed. You can’t really get by when it’s opened up. If it has the fold down over the cockpit it’s only a single bed not a double like some.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

DYING over here!!!:D:D:D This is EVERY Trip and the only thing missing is how the wife tells you how to drive!

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

Had to send this to wife - Keep in mind SHE was the one that wanted to buy the moho:

Her reply

"LOL!!! Oh my goodness that is soooooo funny!!!! And maybe some of it is true :)"

I said some of it? Damn it woman you know this shit is spot on :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
One thing about you Dave, you hear me, but you never listen,,,so you waisted a bunch of time and fuel,..and no better off....one more time... load up the family and go to sunshine rv. in havasu..test ride the two that I showed you,... drive both to del taco...and tell me how big of a coach you really want....lol.... come to vegas and I'll take you out in my gasser with the trailer hooked up...you're not gonna use a big rv....unless as a guest room on the side of the house...

I listen to everything ya say Steve, intently. Especially on this subject! Lol

we are just getting some education and experience etc.. we haven’t bought anything

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I really like the idea of a smaller motorhome and towing a toyhauler with a shower/bathroom etc for the kids to sleep in.

<<<<<Not in the market anytime soon but interesting reading.

My .02 RD, take your time, hell even borrow or rent a couple to figure out what really works for you.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Just throw a camper on the limo and call it a day

limo.jpg

brgrcru

Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

That is so funny . Thank you :D:Dlmao
so true

brgrcru

Reaction score
You should hit up the other lakes besides the delta. We have some nice ones up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have lake McClure , pine flat, don Pedro.
Milerton , ballards bar .
That's about it .
All awsome

Reactions: E4L

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Just keep looking and going in person to see them.. especially used ones.. if your not in any rush...
Stacy is right get the bunk house.. have some friends with younger kids and its the way to go..
We looked and drove to other states looking took us about 2yrs to buy.(lol).. motorhomes.. toyhaulers.. cabover trailer.. etc
We ended up with a toyhauler with the bathroom I didn't like but saved 10k more then my buddy..

The stories and units we looked at i can tell you all kinds of crazy stuff.. we even signed paperwork on
2 from different places and sales guy told us its going to be this much after its done.. and said I understand if u walk(wink wink) and we did pass on them..
its a big purchase and u might have to jump up a little money and buy new.. never had anyone elses stuff in it..:eek::eek:

p.s 8 years later toyhauler gets used 1-2 a year.. other times its great for xtra guest at house..

Reactions: DWC

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

You forgot about both air conditioners taking a shit while you’re crossing the desert in July.:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You forgot about both air conditioners taking a shit while you’re crossing the desert in July.:D
That happened to me last year in June - generator crapped out just as we got to Pirates Cove. We had hookups while there, but man that drive home sucked! 100 degrees of awesome

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That happened to me last year in June - generator crapped out just as we got to Pirates Cove. We had hookups while there, but man that drive home sucked! 100 degrees of awesome
was it the carb????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the more I think about what you are doing.... the more I think that 30' is gonna be big.....I'd get off the idea that you are gonna pull and launch a 34' boat with an rv.…. in fact,... I'd get of the 34' boat idea...the rv , if used to do boat shows and such,anything over 22' is gonna be big...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
keep in mind, the more simple the rv, the more it will get used...the smaller and easier to drive, the more you will drive it... a way to prove this,... look at used rv's…. you can find 15 yr old 40'rs with onlt 10k miles, while 10 yr old 22'rs have 100k

Singleton

Reaction score
the more I think about what you are doing.... the more I think that 30' is gonna be big.....I'd get off the idea that you are gonna pull and launch a 34' boat with an rv.…. in fact,... I'd get of the 34' boat idea...the rv , if used to do boat shows and such,anything over 22' is gonna be big...

smaller rv with a built out trailer. Wall mount some sofas that convert to beds, TV, propane, big buddy heater and maybe a small bathroom (sick and toilet).

RV for the adults and trailer for the kids while camping. big plus on this route, you don’t care what the trailer looks like inside. Just make the kids pack up and clean up before departure.

Meaney77

Reaction score
smaller rv with a built out trailer. Wall mount some sofas that convert to beds, TV, propane, big buddy heater and maybe a small bathroom (sick and toilet).

RV for the adults and trailer for the kids while camping. big plus on this route, you don’t care what the trailer looks like inside. Just make the kids pack up and clean up before departure.

Great advise that’s why I said he should keep his trailer if it would work for him!!

This is my plan for my kids- have fun, hang out and play in the enclosed- even thinking about hanging a tv in there for them. Goal is to stay out of the motorhome and not completely rat fuck the inside with all of their toys and crap.

Singleton

Reaction score
Great advise that’s why I said he should keep his trailer if it would work for him!!

This is my plan for my kids- have fun, hang out and play in the enclosed- even thinking about hanging a tv in there for them. Goal is to stay out of the motorhome and not completely rat fuck the inside with all of their toys and crap.

only con I see to this setup is towing the boat with the RV for Mead, Powell and other Midwest / east coast lake trips and maybe family trips to National Parks. can’t tow trailer and boat at same time.

IMO, it comes down to WHAT you want to do. We wanted the ability to go off-roading and camping. Got a trailer (custom ToyHauler) that fits the Jeep and started our adventures. It is not the fanciest, but works for off-road adventures, used in Sept-Oct @ the Islander and has made a few National Park memories for the family. Would love to use it and the boat at Powell, but decided if I do Powell, getting a houseboat for that adventure.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
funny thing about rv's… the more kids or other people...the more a class C makes sense...If I was dave I would just get the smallest class A with a walk around re bed... on ours... we have the dinette and the front table to dine..mom and dad up front and kids in the dinettes... mine has a rear king bedroom,... and 3 beds up front... tow 10k easy, and is under 100k new.....wait..... mine is the best there is.....LMAO>>>>only had to go through about 60 to get here...:D

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Best post of the year. I was laughing out loud at lunch today when I read this.

Motorhomes

THE DREAM

THE REALITY

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Here you go, cheap and will get you in all the parks. All it needs is some waterproof flooring installed and the decals won’t cost too much (if they need to be replaced). I know a place that will do it for $500 a side with whatever design you want. Probably detail after that.

11703BEA-BAA2-418F-8648-420938150890.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yea living right off Foothill in Upland for the past few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that all depends where off of Foothill... :) there are a few places that are happier than others.