WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Shipping a BBC

Husqy510

Reaction score
Found a motor that I want at a good price, the problem is it's in Oregon and I'm in SoCal. Anyone have ideas for the most economical way to ship a motor, or does anyone go from Oregon to southern California or lake Havasu?

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Yeah where in Oregon, i could pick it up and deliver, for the right price
if it is near Medford I can deliver for $1,200 two day delivery to Havasu

Husqy510

Reaction score
Let me find out exactly where it is. Thanks for the offer but $1200 makes the $3500 motor less of a deal. That's my fear, the motor is a deal, but only if shipping can be done cheaply.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Let me find out exactly where it is. Thanks for the offer but $1200 makes the $3500 motor less of a deal. That's my fear, the motor is a deal, but only if shipping can be done cheaply.
For me it's 500to 600 in fuel, and 600 drive time29hours, I live in northern Californy near Truckee,CA

Last edited:

Husqy510

Reaction score
For me it's 500to 600 in fuel, and 600 drive time i live in northern Californy near Truckee,CA
Totally get it. Not saying it's an unreasonable number, but the motor is no longer a deal with 1200 for shipping.

I was kind of hoping someone might be making that trip and I could throw in a couple hundred for their gas.

It's not the end of the world if I can't make it work.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Totally get it. Not saying it's an unreasonable number, but the motor is no longer a deal with 1200 for shipping.

I was kind of hoping someone might be making that trip and I could throw in a couple hundred for their gas.

It's not the end of the world if I can't make it work.

It's cool, Ya never know when the right engine deal will come up, Good Luck, Check with Dave Connolly that's where I bought my 454.
I drove from My home to Havasu city To pick up my 454 , it took two days 10hrs there 10hour home.
I left at 10pm and got to the shop in Havasu at 730 AZ time. loaded up engine drove home.
It took 4 tanks of fuel round trip, a lot of pee stops, $340 fuel + 4K for engine = $4340 for engine, Not bad for a nice Engine.
454.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Have the seller crate it with a pallet base and send it LTL freight. Probably can be shipped for under $400 that way.

I was going to suggest R&L Freight...I've shipped engines across the country for less than $200 on a pallet with them...but using a business account. I have a bunch of stores in oregon...if it's local, maybe I could get you some help with freight to SoCal....then it's easy to get to Havasu from here.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Like others have said LTL on a pallet is yore best bet.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Found a motor that I want at a good price, the problem is it's in Oregon and I'm in SoCal. Anyone have ideas for the most economical way to ship a motor, or does anyone go from Oregon to southern California or lake Havasu?

I don't know if Shipping Guy is still on here, he took care of some stuff for me. I fastened mine to pallets and then crated them for protection.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, the seller is working on a couple options as well. Ideal would be getting it to SoCal (Ventura County) as that's where the car is , but Havasu area would work as well because I'm up there every couple weeks.

Boat 405

Reaction score
scribner plastics makes a nice crate for shipping engines.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Definitely get ahold of @shippingguy he got a short block shipped from Michigan to me here in Reno at a great price with insurance.

Sherpa

Reaction score
where is it in oregon??

I might be heading to portland myself to pick up a motor... I live in Campbell. (San Jose-Los Gatos) area.

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, the seller is working on a couple options as well. Ideal would be getting it to SoCal (Ventura County) as that's where the car is , but Havasu area would work as well because I'm up there every couple weeks.

Give up on finding an individual to haul it. Ship it LTL on Estes, ODFL, Saia, or other large shipping companies. Just remember their basic insurance covers something like 45¢/lb, you can buy stated value coverage from the shipper and it's cheap.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Thanks for the leads. The seller has a friend that moves trailers from Oregon to socal so I'm hoping that will work out.

C08H18

Reaction score
If you can get it to the Bay Area I can haul it to Havasu on 3/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bocco

Reaction score
Does anybody have a picture of the pallet setup?