WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mountain Bikes

caribbean20

Reaction score
Some fun and beautiful pictures! Got my first mountain bike a few months ago but, havent had a chance to take it on the trails yet. Have been trying to get with a couple friends that have bikes, but schedule is too busy. But I cant post a picture of my hardtail with all of these DCB and Skater bikes on here.

Have fun and stay safe out there, no one wants to go to the hospital now!
“no one wants to go to the hospital now,” my feelings exactly. I’m taking a time out from MX and MTB for a while. Would be just my luck to break a bone now.

golakers

Reaction score
Nice setup . I am a Specialized fan to . Even though I could afford it I couldn't bring myself to go with the S Works . Just not that hard core anymor . At least with bikes .I have a slightly older SL3 pro Roadbike upgraded all to Dura Ace including C24 carbon tubeless wheels and FSA carbon Cranks . I also have 4 yr old Rockhopper fully upgraded to top Sram , Stans No Tube wheels and Race Face Carbon Cranks . Just never was the type to upgrade every year or 2 .
I’m a junkie. Ride 4/5 days a week. It’s my stress reliever! I can ride to the hills in 10 min. Tubeless is the best. Actually tubeless on the road bike too. So far so good!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Been riding southridge almost every day
View attachment 862209
and some new trails I found in norco, with my son and his new riprock 24
View attachment 862211

Sometimes I ride the XC trails up there. It's pretty cool but I don't love all the pedal strikes. My boys much prefer Sycamore Canyon.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
What are you guys using to monitor your rides? Are you using an App like Strava? I used All trails and gave me info I needed.

Or are you using an wireless odometer/GPS unit?

I use Strava and a wireless computer on my bike

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I’m a junkie. Ride 4/5 days a week. It’s my stress reliever! I can ride to the hills in 10 min. Tubeless is the best. Actually tubeless on the road bike too. So far so good!

I switched to tubeless and wonder why I didn’t long ago. Stan’s is awesome

Meaney77

Reaction score
and if you haven't done it yet, get rid of the tubes in your tires (add 2oz of stans) and go tubeless. You can run less tire pressures for more traction and also lighten up the bike a tad. Start accumulating bike specific tools and a work stand. When you become a consistent rider you'll be doing regular up keep and maintenance just like you did riding moto.

Have fun!

I switched to tubeless and wonder why I didn’t long ago. Stan’s is awesome

Newbee question regarding going tubeless- Is it as easy as pulling my tubes out of my existing tire/rim set up and adding the "Stans" along with a new valve?

Also along with the shock pump, can a shock pump double as a tire pump ?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Newbee question regarding going tubeless- Is it as easy as pulling my tubes out of my existing tire/rim set up and adding the "Stans" along with a new valve?

Almost....
Provided your tires are TR (Tubeless ready) which I would be shocked if they aren't. Remove the tubes and tires from your rims and if you don't already have rim tape on the rim you'll need to stick that on. Add the tubeless valve stems which you can get in any color and reinstall the tires.

IMG_4549.jpg

I take the valve stem cores out and run my air compressor up over 100\lbs. I next air up each tire to pop the beads (using this) and I do this with the valve stem cores out.

IMG_4547.jpg

Allow all the air to escape and apply 2 oz of stans through the stems. Buy the small 2 oz bottles and don't store them in a hot garage. You need to add new fluid every 4-6 months depending on weather.

IMG_4550.jpg

Reinsert valve stem cores and air up to desired pressure.

Shock pumps are not going to be the best way to air up your tires, but I suppose you could do it using a presta valve adapter. Schock pumps are schrader.

IMG_4551.jpg

There's a ton of youtube videos on how to do this and many show the process without using "tubeless" specific rims and tires. Your bike probably does have the correct rims and tires to do the conversion correctly.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking about buying a MB?

Need some input, I live in Mountain Biking Mecca- we are surrounded by mountains with some awesome mountain biking trails and I am kind of getting a wild hair to buy something while we sit in quarantine but the problem is I am absolutely clueless on what to look at, whats good, whats bad etc... I have ridden/raced dirt bikes all my life but mountain bikes are totally foreign to me.

Looking for some input before I go into the shop.

Im 6'1, 225 LBS looking for an entry level bike that will last me for a while but not totally break the bank. Looking to ride local mountains/Trails, etc... what should I look at and what is realistic to spend- not looking to break the bank.

I guess im the only one that read the words ENTRY LEVEL here?? lol

Get a Giant, or something used. See if you even like the mt. biking thing. It's a fuck ton of work!!! But if you enjoy pushing yourself, and your body can take it, it's pretty enjoyable work.

My friend has a road bike he paid like 7k for. He says its SO easy to pedal! I wanna ask him...

Isn't the point of riding a bike to get some exercise?? But I keep those thoughts to myself. ;)

3.Slow

Reaction score
Sometimes I ride the XC trails up there. It's pretty cool but I don't love all the pedal strikes. My boys much prefer Sycamore Canyon.

Yes, a lot of rocks sticking out everywhere at southridge, it's just the closest trail to my house other than norco, which is a steep climb. Maybe I will try sycamore this weekend. I use the trail forks app which has been pretty good at helping me navigate the local trails.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of rocks sticking out everywhere at southridge, it's just the closest trail to my house other than norco, which is a steep climb. Maybe I will try sycamore this weekend. I use the trail forks app which has been pretty good at helping me navigate the local trails.

Trail Forks is great!

Sycamore, Hulda Crooks and Crafton hills are all close and Chino Hills can't be very far for you either. 👍

golakers

Reaction score

Attachments

• 3748C745-9B08-4955-991E-8367D90DB506.jpeg
    3748C745-9B08-4955-991E-8367D90DB506.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 7CEB1D3D-7396-4743-977B-94AF78EBA451.jpeg
    7CEB1D3D-7396-4743-977B-94AF78EBA451.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 98A03658-15B4-4E8D-81CB-789E8ECB03F3.jpeg
    98A03658-15B4-4E8D-81CB-789E8ECB03F3.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 195
  • C60888FB-A2E3-4367-95A9-9FAAFCBA7A3E.jpeg
    C60888FB-A2E3-4367-95A9-9FAAFCBA7A3E.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 191

3.Slow

Reaction score
Trail Forks is great!

Sycamore, Hulda Crooks and Crafton hills are all close and Chino Hills can't be very far for you either. 👍
I ride chino hills now and then, was riding marshal canyon on monday nights with a group from incycle, think I will explore sycamore this weekend.

ssc

Reaction score
Build a klunker. I ride vintage bikes and my next build I am thinking of is a klunker using a schwinn 1941 frame. My favorite is my 1939 schwinn straightbar motorbike for riding beach trails etc.

1586052160162.png

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Damn 3.Slow! 2 good suffer-fests right there. Especially today! You're in pretty good shape! I'm gonna follow you on Strava.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I'm still riding a 2009 Jamis 26er, custom build. It weighs 28 lbs with pedals. I used to ride Bootleg in Boulder City all the time, but now live in Pahrump so the area by Red Rock is closer to me now.

Attachments

• 20181110_151329.jpg
    20181110_151329.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 187

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I guess im the only one that read the words ENTRY LEVEL here?? lol

Get a Giant, or something used. See if you even like the mt. biking thing. It's a fuck ton of work!!! But if you enjoy pushing yourself, and your body can take it, it's pretty enjoyable work.

My friend has a road bike he paid like 7k for. He says its SO easy to pedal! I wanna ask him...

Isn't the point of riding a bike to get some exercise??
But I keep those thoughts to myself. ;)

Sure it is Joe. If you want max resistance you usually have 27 gear ratios to choose from to meet your needs.
Just riding the bike is exercise and if done correctly it can increase not only your endurance but your over all leg strength to a point.
Are you familiar with working out with free weights?
Maximum repetitions increases muscle endurance, as well as muscle strength to a point.
Maximum weight repetitions increases maximum strength.
I don't want to get into fast twitch leg muscles tonight. Not everyone is born with them, fortunately I was.
By the way I was a Kinesiology major in college.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

I don’t think you will ever be able to pop the bead on with a shock pump used as a tire pump. Get a good tire pump you will need one. Go to Stan’s website there is a lot of info there for going tubeless. You can get everything on amazon.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
FYI over in the information station, fishing, hunting, camping, there is another mountain bike thread [emoji106]

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I was on the steep section of 3B's in Chino hills (27%) and a dude rolled by me like I was going backwards (not on an ebike). I had to get off and hike-a-bike because I couldn't do it. I caught him at 4 corners where he had stopped. We talked (from 20+ feet) which revealed he was 62 years old! I love seeing people like that!

I was trying to beat the rain but I lost that race too. Spent half an hour cleaning when I got home.

IMG_4559a.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4554.jpg

wayniac

Reaction score

No way a shock pump would work for a tire pump... I know a lot of people have recommended Stans, but check out Orange Seal... Ive had much better luck with it.

Going tubeless is as easy as adding a tubeless valve stem, assuming you have Tubeless ready rims, and are using a tubeless tire. If its not TL ready, you can go "ghetto tubless" which works too. Wrap your rim with gorilla tape, you can even cut out your valves from old tubes, and run one layer of gorilla tape over that too. poke a hole in the tape where the valve goes and put your tire on. a higher pressure compressor works best for that. Also remember the stuff drys out and needs to be replaced every so often...

Wayne

Meaney77

Reaction score
I don’t think you will ever be able to pop the bead on with a shock pump used as a tire pump. Get a good tire pump you will need one. Go to Stan’s website there is a lot of info there for going tubeless. You can get everything on amazon.
Thank you, went and bought 2 pumps over the weekend and also educated myself on pumps, tubless, and suspensions set up!

Supers pumped on the MTB thing so far, I have been making it a point to try and ride every day. Pretty bummed at the moment- no riding with the rain today and the next few days.

I did a few descent rides last week. I am still slow and struggle with climbing but hoping to get better over time. Still trying to figure out what I like better to keep track- Strava or All Trails.

56D71852-428A-4751-9029-3EF710CB7474.png
0D099ECE-814E-4474-B530-2715794DC2A4.jpeg
98F5EF44-8C8F-46F3-A716-F92BA8274DE8.jpeg

golakers

Reaction score
Thank you, went and bought 2 pumps over the weekend and also educated myself on pumps, tubless, and suspensions set up!

Supers pumped on the MTB thing so far, I have been making it a point to try and ride every day. Pretty bummed at the moment- no riding with the rain today and the next few days.

I did a few descent rides last week. I am still slow and struggle with climbing but hoping to get better over time. Still trying to figure out what I like better to keep track- Strava or All Trails.

View attachment 863320 View attachment 863321 View attachment 863322
Keep it up. It’s all about seat time. Trails will be closed for while with all this rain. While they dry find some hills in a neighborhood or something just to keep legs moving. It will be a week of mudd 😏

Meaney77

Reaction score
I swear I’ve seen $50k worth of new bikes go past my home since this coved thing started.
Ive never seen more people out riding- mountain bikes, BMX, Beach cruisers- everyone is out!

The local bike shops say its like Christmas in March with everyone buying bikes, exercising, getting off their asses and getting out of the house.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Ive never seen more people out riding- mountain bikes, BMX, Beach cruisers- everyone is out!

The local bike shops say its like Christmas in March with everyone buying bikes, exercising, getting off their asses and getting out of the house.

It's basically a parade of mountain bikes riding by my house everyday. We really do live in the mecca.