WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lots of Machinist Folks here anyone know Lathe repair

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
We have an "offshore" lathe , has worked well but is slow to start likely needs a motor so begins our quest its 12x36 Enco 510-2584 so far we know its a single phase 2 HP any help or direction from the RDF brain trust appreciated ;)

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Single Phase AC motors are much more difficult to source, and much more expensive than 3 phase, especially in anything above 1hp...

What you need to do is figure out what frame size the motor is, this can be determined either by the tag on the motor that says what frame it is, or by measuring key frame dimensions.

From there you don't need to worry about the enco part number, just find a motor in that frame size.

rrrr

Reaction score
This could be a failure of the part winding centrifugal start switch, which is a cheap replacement. You should remove the motor and take it to a good motor repair shop. They can diagnose the problem and fix it. While it's there, they can change the bearings and megohm test the insulation on the stator and rotor windings.

It'll run like new at a fraction of the cost.

4Waters

Reaction score
This could be a failure of the part winding centrifugal start switch, which is a cheap replacement. You should remove the motor and take it to a good motor repair shop. They can diagnose the problem and fix it. While it's there, they can change the bearings and megohm test the insulation on the stator and rotor windings.

It'll run like new at a fraction of the cost.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the start capacitor?
As rrrr stated it could possibly be part of the starting circuit as well.
New can be had at Grainger but at a cost.
If your in no hurry and would want to send it down to me I can have my electrician take a look at it at no cost to you. I'm in north OC.

Screenshot_20200406-173723_Samsung Internet.jpg

CigAjerk

Reaction score
I don't know if he's still around but Wally Fox used to repair/rewind all my large, oddball motors for way cheaper than replacing.

Fox Electric
8307 Standustrial St.
Stanton, CA
714-995-4660

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Not familiar with the lathe so have to ask.
Does it have a brake, and does it revers?
I ask this as converting it to a DC motor with a controller could give extra options

rrrr

Reaction score
@jetboatperformance

This video shows how to inspect the start switch. Checking the capacitors is easy, there are lots of videos for that too.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
We have an "offshore" lathe , has worked well but is slow to start likely needs a motor so begins our quest its 12x36 Enco 510-2584 so far we know its a single phase 2 HP any help or direction from the RDF brain trust appreciated ;)

"Slow to start", but otherwise runs fine, is very likely the start capacitor, as has been mentioned. If you can disconnect power and carefully remove the protective can(s) on the caps, you may see evidence of leakage around the end seals. Easy, cheap fix if that's it.

rrrr

Reaction score
"Slow to start", but otherwise runs fine, is very likely the start capacitor, as has been mentioned. If you can disconnect power and carefully remove the protective can(s) on the caps, you may see evidence of leakage around the end seals. Easy, cheap fix if that's it.

It seems to me capacitors usually fail open, if that had happened it wouldn't start at all. Often a slow start is due to dirty contacts on the start switch.

Of course neither one of those is difficult to diagnose and repair. I'm sure the OP has the technical ability, even if he's never busted into a motor.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
It seems to me capacitors usually fail open, if that had happened it wouldn't start at all. Often a slow start is due to dirty contacts on the start switch.

Of course neither one of those is difficult to diagnose and repair. I'm sure the OP has the technical ability, even if he's never busted into a motor.
Many times a bad capacitor will just mean a slow start, depending on the load. I installed and serviced electric gates for about 30 years and replaced a fair number of motor start capacitors in that time period.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Many motors have Centrifugal Switches on them for start up. Very common for the mechanical parts to get gummed up and stuck.
Without knowing what the motor is leaves much up to the imagination. Posting a clear picture of the tag will greatly help.