WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GPS Tracker questions.

floatn turd

Reaction score
So, I know that there are a ton o threads about this subject.

I am looking for specific info about two different Companies that people have said they personally use on this site.

What I'm looking for in a GPS Unit: Geofence with an immediate alert, if it moves beyond that fence. And tracking that I can send to the local fuzz.

Company #1
GPS & Track.com
TINY GPS ASSET TRACKING
$255 – Includes Service for Life of Battery
No Monthly Fees – Zero Contracts for Life of Device

2 ½ year Battery Life
Multiple Daily Updates
Geo-Zone Alerts
Aggressive Tracking Mode

I spoke to a guy at this company but I was not 100% clear on how it worked.
I came away thinking that:
The unit gives "daily updates" once a day (5yr battery life) or twice a day (2.5yr battery life) and that's it.
Unless you switch it into "aggressive mode" only after the "daily update" occurs and it finds that your equipment has been moved outside of the Geofence.

Is that correct?

Company #2
SpotTrace
MOVEMENT ALERTS

30 mins or 12 hrs
DOCK MODE
STATUS MESSAGE
BASIC TRACKING

5, 10, 30 and 60 mins
EXTREME TRACKING
2½ mins: $4.95/mo. or $59.40/yr.

(I did not talk to anyone from the company about this one)

But I think:
If your equipment is moved outside of the Geofence in "Dock Mode" you will get an immediate alert and tracking every 5, 10 or 30 minutes after that (depending how you have it set up)

Is that correct?

Please advise if you happen to have any of these two units or know of a different Company I should look at

Thank you

FT

DaveH

Reaction score
i have a spot device i use when flying.

you are correct that the dock mode is what you are looking for.....just a another name for an "anchor alarm" lowrance uses in the marine environment where an alarm will go off if your boat goes outside a given radius (allows for an anchored boat to swing around) and sets an alarm off, although it doesnt send GPS messages.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have employee or owner knowledge, but a company I do some work for uses "GeoTag" I think was the name. Pops into the odb port, for power and vehicle info. According to the shop forman, he could set it up for immediate notifications on distance, as well as speeds, and even if the abs was triggered. The device itself is maybe the size of an old pager, and has a pigtail with a "new" odb port to leave under the dash. Slick deal, but only for cars and pickups, no good for mdt or other equipment.

floatn turd

Reaction score
i have a spot device i use when flying.

you are correct that the dock mode is what you are looking for.....just a another name for an "anchor alarm" lowrance uses in the marine environment where an alarm will go off if your boat goes outside a given radius (allows for an anchored boat to swing around) and sets an alarm off, although it doesnt send GPS messages.

Thank you Sir for the info.
I would like to go with the GPS & Track.com unit because it is $280 for 5 years VS Spot Trace @ about $680 for 5 years.

I just want to make sure I have my info right about it, before I pass on the GPS & Track.com and go with the Spot Trace.
Because I am mostly looking for that immediate "dock mode" / Geofence alert feature.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I don't have employee or owner knowledge, but a company I do some work for uses "GeoTag" I think was the name. Pops into the odb port, for power and vehicle info. According to the shop forman, he could set it up for immediate notifications on distance, as well as speeds, and even if the abs was triggered. The device itself is maybe the size of an old pager, and has a pigtail with a "new" odb port to leave under the dash. Slick deal, but only for cars and pickups, no good for mdt or other equipment.

Thank you.
I saw that guy as well but passed on it since it needs the ODB port to operate.
But it did look like a good deal for cars.

FT

Deckin Around

Reaction score
How big are the units you are looking at?
I want something as small as possible to HIDE on/in a vehicle. Like in the airbox of a dirtbike so I am alerted asap if it moves and hopefully track it before the thief finds the device

DaveH

Reaction score
you may wish to also consider cellular devices. they operate much the smae but can be added to an existing cell phone plan. the downside would be if your device went out somewhere there is no cell service.

czarmarz

Reaction score
I use a company called samsara, they have a lot of different units for different end user needs, I have battery pack units for asset management that is not connected to power perfect for boats, trailers, equipment. cost is $10 a month, pings twice a day and battery suppose to last 3 years, the more pings the more battery consumption. they usually have start up deals not to pay for equipment though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

floatn turd

Reaction score
How big are the units you are looking at?
I want something as small as possible to HIDE on/in a vehicle. Like in the airbox of a dirtbike so I am alerted asap if it moves and hopefully track it before the thief finds the device

The dimensions are on the websites.

But they appear to be pretty small.
Like an old pager.

rcmike

Reaction score
If you are getting one of these, make sure it is one that does instant messages. That is the whole point. To catch it before it goes into a container, or south of a border..

Icky

Reaction score
I have the spot trace in my boat. It has no service inside my storage unit, but once it moves out I get updates every 15min. Its about the size of a pager.

I don't like that it has to be hooked up to the computer to make changes(I've had it for a few years so maybe thats changed), and the battery isn't rechargeable. Speaking of that the battery is probably dead in it by now, I usually change it every 6 months to be sure.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
I purchased the spot trace a few years ago for around $50, yearly service at the time was $167 it is currently $242, I am not continuing service, I purchased a viper power sport gps unit for $99 with the first year of service included, 2 of my trucks already have the viper units installed, I cannot figure out how to actively track the spot, it will send gps updates if it moves or I have it set for daily updates, the spot unit will be up for grabs soon if anyone is interested, it has the optional power connector and new rechargeable batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...if you can get a remote gps deal, with integrated detonator...you may sacrifice your stolen goods, but society will thank you.