WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rookie into the stock market.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I recently jumped back into the game. Currently have shares in KO, PENN, F(ord), JNUG, and OGI.

The ones im kicking myself in the ass over right now are BOYD and MGM and PK.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I recently jumped back into the game. Currently have shares in KO, PENN, F(ord), JNUG, and OGI.

The ones im kicking myself in the ass over right now are BOYD and MGM and PK.

I am on the OGI train as well. I’m also still in TLRY, and watching VSLR.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What do you guys think about PG&E trading around $8.50 right now? They’re too big to fail and I’m pretty sure they’ll get a lifeline from either the State Fire Fund or a bailout so it’ll go up eventually, I’m mostly curious if it might drop more?

I don’t see anyone wanting to buy it and rake it over that’s for sure. So I’m sure they will get help financially somehow.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have a Tesla Model S. I personally installed a 80amp breaker in my panel, that charges my car with a 60amp (adjustable dip switch settings inside the tesla wall charger) which allows me 50 miles for every hours its connected. I did not have to change out anything. Installed the Tesla Wall charger. I did not upgrade any wiring feeding my house. The conductors feeding my house are the same ones of when it was built. And I meet all Ca Codes

For the most part, most Tesla charger installs are at 50 amp breakers, charging at 40amps, which is 29-30miles/hour.

So I should disregard DDS-12 and ignore any voltage drop or flicker concerns.
I understand you are able to charge your beloved Tesla that’s great. But if what you say is true about electric vehicles becoming more popular. The distribution system will be overloaded in many areas.

I’m glad you meet CA code that should go without saying shouldn’t it?

now that I know you own a Tesla I will throw all your stock info out the window.
Every Tesla owner I have talked to are the same, they know everything and are never wrong.

Xring01

Reaction score
So I should disregard DDS-12 and ignore any voltage drop or flicker concerns.
I understand you are able to charge your beloved Tesla that’s great. But if what you say is true about electric vehicles becoming more popular. The distribution system will be overloaded in many areas.

I’m glad you meet CA code that should go without saying shouldn’t it?

now that I know you own a Tesla I will throw all your stock info out the window.
Every Tesla owner I have talked to are the same, they know everything and are never wrong.

Well thats truly a huge assumption., I can prove you wrong right now.. look at a few posts on this thread. I admitted, that I bought Zoom last week. Look whats its done to date. Dropped.. So I can be wrong. But the other three I mentioned in that thread are up, some better than others.

When is comes to Business Expenses and my Business vehicle. I ran the Numbers.
What if I could prove to you how much money I will save over a 4-5 year period. Versus what I was doing.

My monthly fuel bill on a low month was $500, Some months $750
Fast track could be $250-$350/month.

Electricity at my house is .12 cents / kwr.... full range of battery from 0-100% is $9.00 ish....
I have Free Super charging at Tesla Charging stations... I can charge for free if I want.
No more fast track fees.
I use the car pool lanes for free.
I bought a used Tesla S, that already took the depreciation hit. Based on current resales values, I will loose less on it over 4 years, than the what I was driving.

BTW... an overloaded distribution system helps me out a bunch. Why, because I am in the utility field. I love it when they have to rebuild distribution substations, transmission substations, T&D Lines, Automation, Scada, all the above....

The overload that you are thinking of is not truly what is happening in reality.
Do a quick google search of Reverse Flow energy, due to high solar penetration areas. Basically when you have a high density of roof top solar in a small area, they back feed the distribution circuit. Resulting in power going up hill, not down hill... this is bad... bad, bad...

The Distr Substation is a Step down system. Typically 69kv to 12kv on most IOU systems in SoCal. But Reverse flow happens all the time in areas like Poway, Chino, Rancho Sante Fe, Santa Barbara , etc etc etc. That puts a huge strain and does more damage to the network than you can imagine.

So in all regards, plugging in electric vehicles, solves that reverse flow problem. Which extends the life of the Substation Assets, because the LTC’s are not operating 100x/hour, and the Step Down design, stays that way. All hell breaks loose when you have a Step Down Design, become a Step UP, or called a GSU.. which mess’s with the PF (power factor, excitation currents, eddy currents, localized heating) and then you truly get FLicker and other bad things happening at the transmission substations. Which cost alot more money to fix than the distribution substations. Dont get me wrong, it wreaks havoc on the Distribution System. Stuff with a design life of 30 years, may get 10-15 years. Please ask me how I know.

I can keep going... $$$$ talks..

As a business owner... I write of the mileage anyway, which brings in alot more money... think about 25,000 - 30,000 miles at .58cents/mile...

How much am I losing?
After rebates.... I paid in the Mid $50K for the car used... I expect to sell it in 3-4 years for $25K-$30K (based on current models that are 4 years older than it and expected mileage).

So I may lose $30K over 4 years on the cost of the vehicle. But.... I am truly losing $$$, when I am writing off the mileage $14,500/year (which is more than my car payment), fuel costs plummet, fast track dissappears, free car pool, gets me where I need to be faster.

BTW... I created a spreadsheet which even factors in all the maintenance costs, or lack of maintenance on all scenarios of this purchase.

Yes, I could have bought brands other than Tesla, but that would not be conducive to the ranges that I need, or what my customers expect. My customers are the ones who pay the bills, so I have to keep them happy.

Last edited:

Carrera205

Reaction score
dont buy disney anytime soon... they just announced they're giving refunds and not charging annual passholders until the parks re-open. also they're not extending annual passes for the closure time. thats gonna piss a lot of customers off, also theres no income at all during closure...
People are psycho about Disneyland tho they will line up and sign up as soon as possible that place will never go down.

Xring01

Reaction score
People are psycho about Disneyland tho they will line up and sign up as soon as possible that place will never go down.
In my opinion,
The key aspect of the last 18months rise of Disney, is the fact they are putting up a competitor to NFLX with ESPN and Disney Channel online. Which provides alot of monthly revenue. CV19 is a drag on the Resort aspects of Disney, but its a boost to the online entertainment. But I am not a buyer at this point. NFLX would be a better choice at this time.

Again, thats my opinion. If you crystal ball works better than mine, then please share some good stock picks for the next week or so.

I believe there can be alot of money made in the markets in the next month or so. At the same time, one wrong choice, can lose alot.

Carrera205

Reaction score
In my opinion,
The key aspect of the last 18months rise of Disney, is the fact they are putting up a competitor to NFLX with ESPN and Disney Channel online. Which provides alot of monthly revenue. CV19 is a drag on the Resort aspects of Disney, but its a boost to the online entertainment. But I am not a buyer at this point. NFLX would be a better choice at this time.

Again, thats my opinion. If you crystal ball works better than mine, then please share some good stock picks for the next week or so.

I believe there can be alot of money made in the markets in the next month or so. At the same time, one wrong choice, can lose alot.
Here is a snapshot of my
Portfolio it’s just my investment/boat fund/play account. My retirement and 457 is completely Different but these are where I’m putting my money and making it work for me There’s some good buys in here I believe and these are going to make me some money I believe. See what you think.

Attachments

• D0353BA3-1F31-490F-AE11-8343B0EDA52A.png
    D0353BA3-1F31-490F-AE11-8343B0EDA52A.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 150

Xring01

Reaction score
Here is a snapshot of my
Portfolio it’s just my investment/boat fund/play account. My retirement and 457 is completely Different but these are where I’m putting my money and making it work for me There’s some good buys in here I believe and these are going to make me some money I believe. See what you think.

First and Foremost, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and what you are doing.
MY OPINION BASED ON A super quick review... You are heavily tied to financial sector. I would not have that many eggs in one basket. SQ, AXM, JPM,

Cruise Lines- thats is truly a gamble in my opinion... but I could be wrong though. If cruises get booked it could be a great long term investment. I would stand clear for now as a long term... Short term strategy... then you got the bounce... take the money and run.

MGM - again I am assuming this is a long term play for you.

My strategy is
If we think the market will go up in the next 3-6-9 months, then I am a player.
What am I trying to play.
What sectors - do I think will have the best chance of success in the 3-6-9 month timeframes?
Try to pick 3-5 sectors, that I feel have the best chance.
Then I pick the best of breed stock in that sector... one stock in each sector, so 3-5 sectors/stocks.
I dollar cost average my way in.
So if I am playing with $10K in an account. $2500 in each stock x 4 stocks.
I would buy each stock 2-3 times over time, totaling that $2500 ish purchase in each sector. Doing my best not to time the market. Sometimes I violate that rule.

Because its hard to dollar cost average a small amount of money with stocks like amazon that cost $2000.... If you want that stock, and only have $2500, then you only get to buy it once, and pay what it costs...

If you guys are game:
Lets hear your thoughts on what Sectors have the best chance of Success with CV19?
Sectors/Stocks
Tech - AAPL
Banks- WF, BofA or ???
Entertainment - NFLX DIS AMZN or
Healthcare - I chose LVGO - got real lucky
Drug -
Software Services - I chose Zoom got unlucky... sold it this AM... or DOCU, WDAY,
Auto Parts - Auto Zone, AAP Types
Home repair - Lowes/HD.
Utilitys - I have PCG

Maybe we can identify 3-4 key sectors and share the info of why we think a sector will succeed or fail. Then pick some stocks for consideration.

Last edited:

Englewood

Reaction score
If you guys are game:
Lets hear your thoughts on what Sectors have the best chance of Success with CV19?
Sectors/Stocks
Tech - AAPL
Banks- WF, BofA or ???
Entertainment - NFLX DIS AMZN or
Drug -
Software Services - I chose Zoom got unlucky... sold it this AM... or DOCU, WDAY,
Home repair - Lowes/HD.
Utilitys - I have PCG

My uneducated thoughts:

Tech - AAPL - YES!
Banks- WF, BofA or ??? - Haven't even seen the extent of their losses yet. I think 2020 will be a disaster for banks.
Entertainment - NFLX DIS AMZN or - A lot of new subscriptions due to COVID.
Drug - CHECK OUT AKER
Home repair - Lowes/HD - Don't see these flourishing once people begin losing their homes and the economy is in a depression.
Utilitys - I have PCG - Love PCG, I'm hoping its a $30-$50 stock in 5 years.

I also think a good long term play is Southwest Airlines or United.

Xring01

Reaction score
My uneducated thoughts:

Tech - AAPL - YES!
Banks- WF, BofA or ??? - Haven't even seen the extent of their losses yet. I think 2020 will be a disaster for banks.
Entertainment - NFLX DIS AMZN or - A lot of new subscriptions due to COVID.
Drug - CHECK OUT AKER
Home repair - Lowes/HD - Don't see these flourishing once people begin losing their homes and the economy is in a depression.
Utilitys - I have PCG - Love PCG, I'm hoping its a $30-$50 stock in 5 years.

I also think a good long term play is Southwest Airlines or United.

Thanks, love the dialog.
AAPL - the lower cost Iphone 9 could be a huge winner, based on current times.
I will check out Aker...
Lowes has been packed to the gills in Murrieta past 2 weeks. Short term, they are making $$$, long term you are most likely on the $$$.
I have stated my thoughts on PCG many times.
Airline stocks - assuming thats going to be a long term play for you. I could go there.. thinking there are Sectors that could do alot better, but you have me considering it now.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I took a gamble on AYTU which paid off huge back in beginning of march. But what I dont understand is they're virtually unphased by media. Theres numerous releases about them and one other pharma company doing active trials for the covid19 vaccine... hell even BILL GATES donated his own money to them to fund the research, they've started active trials and still no spike. WTF. Luckily I sold after the huge spike but I've been wondering about getting back in.

A long time ago I made a play buying Sirius stock when it was worth virtually nothing. I think I got in at like 13 cents. They had a huge loan to repay and instead, they bought their competitor XM... but then began a long climb up to around $7 when I sold it. One of my best moves.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Airline stocks - assuming thats going to be a long term play for you. I could go there..

it took em like 10 years to recover from the last bailout. During that time they raised prices significantly, cut carry on luggage, etc and are still in the crapper. No thanks.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I was eying ODFL, but missed the boat.

picked up BA at $97, but didn’t buy enough.

MESA didn't work out yet. May double down, or just let it ride.

Probably put a few more bucks in HTZ.

T looks good again. Some growth and dividend play.

Englewood

Reaction score
Thanks, love the dialog.
AAPL - the lower cost Iphone 9 could be a huge winner, based on current times.
I will check out Aker...
Lowes has been packed to the gills in Murrieta past 2 weeks. Short term, they are making $$$, long term you are most likely on the $$$.
I have stated my thoughts on PCG many times.
Airline stocks - assuming thats going to be a long term play for you. I could go there.. thinking there are Sectors that could do alot better, but you have me considering it now.

My In-Laws own a hardware store and they have been having their best days ever during this crisis.

Walmart/HD/Lowes - Maybe a short term play once the earnings come out from all the COVID shopping.

Xring01

Reaction score
LVGO has been my latest score... I got in at the right time (which is rare for me)... trying to buy more, but it flying higher... afraid to turn a winner into a loser... (which has happened to me before).

AMZN... everyone shopping from home... they have to be making money. I got in an initial buy last week

PGG - I owned them for awhile now... I am underwater on them at the moment, but about to pull the trigger on more.. To dollar cost average down.

EGHT caught my attention today... may be a replacement for ZM...

AYTU has my attention.... that is a micro cap company, thats in the right place at the right time. Which means its going to go straight up, or straight down, depending up near term success. A key factor to consider they delayed the Earnings date till Apr 25th. Not really gonna know till then. If you get the hype on it, it can double in an hour. If you dont its gonna be up 15%, down 15%. Due to the huge potential volatility of it... Its a true speculative play. My advice it to treat it as such. If you want to play it, then play it smart. Buy a small portion (less that 5%) of your speculative portfolio) at it... Be prepared to sell the moment it goes south. Be prepared to sell it shortly after it goes up. There is $$$ to be made, but there is potential loss's also. Gotta be real careful on this, set your stop loss order the moment you buy it...

ODFL ... great one... its a very safe bet in these times, which I hadnt considered. Thanks for bringing it up. Trucking/Shipping Company with solid financials. PE Ratio is a bit high, and its trading near its 52 week high are the negatives. But it has a boat load of positives. The only weakness that I can if I where to buy it now, may be a limited upside potential. This will make be look at this entire sector, see if there is a competitor that may have better upside potential.

Debate Question?
Banking Stocks - Alot of business will be borrowing $$$ to continue business, and the banks should make money. However alot of business's will go under due to CV19, banks will lose on those loans. Is Banking stocks a buy at this stage of the game?

I will look at all of yall's recommendations and let you know if I get into any of them.

Disclaimer: I am not a Pro at stock trading at all. Just small business guy who trades and trying to put myself in a better retirement situation. The trades that I mention/discuss on this thread are in my Speculative Portfolio. Which is a cash account, that is not a 401k or IRA type investments. My IRA/401K types do not allow me to trade individual stocks, because we are small company. Please do not assume that this is 100% of my investments. Its a portion that is accurately managed, and proceeds of it, fund my 401k accounts for tax mitigation purposes.... For those that didnt pick what I just put down. Cash accounts have to pay tax's on the proceeds. But If I cash out some of the proceeds from the cash account and fund that profit into a 401K account, then I am not paying the tax on the proceeds, put into the 401K. Technically I have to pay the taxs, in one, but get the discount in the other. Which becomes tax neutral for the most part, as long as I do my math correctly.

Last edited:

Englewood

Reaction score
LVGO has been my latest score... I got in at the right time (which is rare for me)... trying to buy more, but it flying higher... afraid to turn a winner into a loser... (which has happened to me before).

AMZN... everyone shopping from home... they have to be making money. I got in an initial buy last week

PGG - I owned them for awhile now... I am underwater on them at the moment, but about to pull the trigger on more.. To dollar cost average down.

EGHT caught my attention today... may be a replacement for ZM...

Debate Question?
Banking Stocks - Alot of business will be borrowing $$$ to continue business, and the banks should make money. However alot of business's will go under due to CV19, banks will lose on those loans. Is Banking stocks a buy at this stage of the game?

I will look at all of yall's recommendations and let you know if I get into any of them. AYTU has my attention....

I foresee banks failing. It is not good for my businesses but there will be 08 level defaults from this. That is my prediction at least.

Xring01

Reaction score
I foresee banks failing. It is not good for my businesses but there will be 08 level defaults from this. That is my prediction at least.

Thanks, I didnt think the bigger banks would be at that much risk, but you have me rethinking that now. Which I appreciate.

ODFL.. really has me thinking... my guess is minimum downside risk (market tanks 15%, they tank 5%) If the market recovers 20% they will get 20% or more. Trucking is essential to success of U.S.... ODFL may be an easy 20% ROI.... What am I missing on it?

Or the better question? Whats the best Trucking stock for the next 6 months... Thats the key to this equation. The entire industry is pretty safe for the time being.

Took a quick look at AKER, its probably to late for it. Its pretty much doubled in the last few trading days, unless they do something else that prints $$$, then they are probably a high risk if you bought within the next week. Time like this are strange though.. lots of people are gambling in this sector, so it does have HYPE going for it. Like the other true speculative plays. If you want it, then be very carefull with it, and watch it like a hawk, honor your stop loss orders.

Last edited:

BajaT

Reaction score
OPEC meeting Thursday. If you want to gamble that Saudis will agree to cut back along with Russia, buy oil stocks tommorrow. CHK at .159!

Xring01

Reaction score
OPEC meeting Thursday. If you want to gamble that Saudis will agree to cut back along with Russia, buy oil stocks tommorrow. CHK at .159!

When it comes to Russians and Saudis....
If I think they would agree, then I would be wrong... they would disagree... and vice versa..

Just like women, I cant ever figure out how they think, or why they make the decisions they make.

You are correct, all hell could break lose at that meeting....

My predictions:
Russian will be Russians. They will walk into the meeting, tell the world they will cut production. Short Term Oil prices will go up. Russia and Saudi make more money. But Russia will not cut production and the price will drop a few weeks later. Because Russians are like Iranians, and Chinese... they cant help but lie to your face.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
First and Foremost, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and what you are doing.
MY OPINION BASED ON A super quick review... You are heavily tied to financial sector. I would not have that many eggs in one basket. SQ, AXM, JPM,

Cruise Lines- thats is truly a gamble in my opinion... but I could be wrong though. If cruises get booked it could be a great long term investment. I would stand clear for now as a long term... Short term strategy... then you got the bounce... take the money and run.

MGM - again I am assuming this is a long term play for you.

My strategy is
If we think the market will go up in the next 3-6-9 months, then I am a player.
What am I trying to play.
What sectors - do I think will have the best chance of success in the 3-6-9 month timeframes?
Try to pick 3-5 sectors, that I feel have the best chance.
Then I pick the best of breed stock in that sector... one stock in each sector, so 3-5 sectors/stocks.
I dollar cost average my way in.
So if I am playing with $10K in an account. $2500 in each stock x 4 stocks.
I would buy each stock 2-3 times over time, totaling that $2500 ish purchase in each sector. Doing my best not to time the market. Sometimes I violate that rule.

Because its hard to dollar cost average a small amount of money with stocks like amazon that cost $2000.... If you want that stock, and only have $2500, then you only get to buy it once, and pay what it costs...

If you guys are game:
Sectors/Stocks

Maybe we can identify 3-4 key sectors and share the info of why we think a sector will succeed or fail. Then pick some stocks for consideration.

If i came across $10k rignt now and was told to make it count and let it grow, this is what id go with. Mind you, in the face of stock market crashes and recessions, these are stocks that have out performed the majority of stock market, they still pay their share holders money through thick and thin and consistently make millionaires over the long term.

Tech - AAPL all day. They might only have a div/yield of 1.26% but theyve have a div growth of 10%. theyre good with their money and are very cash heavy

Telecom - At&t (T). Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 36 years straight. Div growth of 4% in the last 5 years with a current div/yield of 7.23%

Consumer discretionary - MCD. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 45 years straight. Div growth of 8% in the last 5 years. 13% growth in the last year with a current div/yield of 3.1%. .... i dont see a world without mcd. clowns will always haunt our dreams forever.

Healthcare - JNJ. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for over half a century straight. Div safety score of 99. Div/yield of almost 3% and a growth rate of 6% in the last year. ABBV is another good one to look into.

Utilites - PPL. Div/yield 7.23%. Theyre not a dividend aristocrat however they've been paying uninterrupted dividends for 20 years. Duke Energy (DUK) is another good one to look into.

Financial Sector - Accenture (ACN). on paper they dont sound too impressive with the div/yield is 2% which is halve of what i look for but they have a dividend safety score of 92. Not only that but div growth in the last year has been 42%! and on top of that they have a modest pay out ratio of 26% which gives their div a lot more room to grow.

Industrial - GD. Div/yield of 3.4%, div growth of 10% in the last year and their div safety score is 97. Honorable mentions are Emerson electric, W W Grainger, 3M, United Tech.....

Materials - LIN. Div/yield of 3.5%, div growth of 6% in the last 5 years. Low pay out ratio of 48% which gives their div room to grow and have paid uninterrupted dividends for 27 years.

REITS - O Realty (O). have paid uninterrupted dividends for 25 years. Div/yield of 6.13% and div growth of 3% in the last year.

Energy - Chevron or Exxon mobile. theyre both very geopolitical businesses but i dont see oil going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, Chevron continues to pay dividends for 32 years uninterrupted with the current div/yield 6.78% and Exxon has been paying dividends for the last 37 years with the current div/yield being 8.61%.

Consumer staples - Pepsi. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 47 straight years . Div safety score of 93. Div/yield of 3% and a growth rate of 8% in the last 5 years.

BingerFang

Reaction score
If i came across $10k rignt now and was told to make it count and let it grow, this is what id go with. Mind you, in the face of stock market crashes and recessions, these are stocks that have out performed the majority of stock market, they still pay their share holders money through thick and thin and consistently make millionaires over the long term.

Tech - AAPL all day. They might only have a div/yield of 1.26% but theyve have a div growth of 10%. theyre good with their money and are very cash heavy

Telecom - At&t (T). Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 36 years straight. Div growth of 4% in the last 5 years with a current div/yield of 7.23%

Consumer discretionary - MCD. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 45 years straight. Div growth of 8% in the last 5 years. 13% growth in the last year with a current div/yield of 3.1%. .... i dont see a world without mcd. clowns will always haunt our dreams forever.

Healthcare - JNJ. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for over half a century straight. Div safety score of 99. Div/yield of almost 3% and a growth rate of 6% in the last year. ABBV is another good one to look into.

Utilites - PPL. Div/yield 7.23%. Theyre not a dividend aristocrat however they've been paying uninterrupted dividends for 20 years. Duke Energy (DUK) is another good one to look into.

Financial Sector - Accenture (ACN). on paper they dont sound too impressive with the div/yield is 2% which is halve of what i look for but they have a dividend safety score of 92. Not only that but div growth in the last year has been 42%! and on top of that they have a modest pay out ratio of 26% which gives their div a lot more room to grow.

Industrial - GD. Div/yield of 3.4%, div growth of 10% in the last year and their div safety score is 97. Honorable mentions are Emerson electric, W W Grainger, 3M, United Tech.....

Materials - LIN. Div/yield of 3.5%, div growth of 6% in the last 5 years. Low pay out ratio of 48% which gives their div room to grow and have paid uninterrupted dividends for 27 years.

REITS - O Realty (O). have paid uninterrupted dividends for 25 years. Div/yield of 6.13% and div growth of 3% in the last year.

Energy - Chevron or Exxon mobile. theyre both very geopolitical businesses but i dont see oil going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, Chevron continues to pay dividends for 32 years uninterrupted with the current div/yield 6.78% and Exxon has been paying dividends for the last 37 years with the current div/yield being 8.61%.

Consumer staples - Pepsi. Theyve paid uninterrupted dividends for 47 straight years . Div safety score of 93. Div/yield of 3% and a growth rate of 8% in the last 5 years.

What if you had 30k to put in the stock market? Buy more of these shares? :)

Xring01

Reaction score
Damn, I am glad I got into PGC... we are up over 19% today, right now... (edited... closed up 27%)... owe yeah....

If you have 30K, I would put $7500 into PGE, in 3 purchases (@ $2500 each) over the next 6 weeks. If it pulls back from here, buy it all in one purchase.
Pick 3 other sectors, find the best of breed stock of that sector... buy $7500 of each.
Which totals 4 Stocks at $7500 each = $30K investment. Diversified over 4 sectors, giving you some safety margin.

But thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score

Energy - Chevron or Exxon mobile. there both very geopolitical businesses but i dont see oil going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, Chevron continues to pay dividends for 32 years uninterrupted with the current div/yield 6.78% and Exxon has been paying dividends for the last 37 years with the current div/yield being 8.61%.

Consumer staples - Pepsi. They've paid uninterrupted dividends for 47 straight years . Div safety score of 93. Div/yield of 3% and a growth rate of 8% in the last 5 years.

Dividend strategy are not the sexist at all. They are a very good way to create wealth for the long term investments. Probably has created the majority of the Millionaires in the U.S. The key is having patience, and adding funds monthly/qtrly in those investments for many years. Dont expect to double you $$$ in 2 months or 1 year. Expect/hope for a solid 6-10% average rate of return over 20 years.

Your advice is pretty much what happens in my 401K type of portfolios. My speculative portfolio is geared to take advantage of current markets, for hopefully higher ROI in the short term. As I noted in above post, I take proceeds from the Speculative profits, and re invest those proceeds into the 401K types.

Both strategys work, but you have to know what strategy you are going for, before you spend a dollar. If not, you will most likely sell when you shouldnt have. Thats the secret sauce, that most of us don't have. Have the guts to to hold, when an investment goes south. Or Buy more of a stock that just tanked 10-15%.

Investing is not for weak, it will test you, and make you feel like fool... Please ask me how I know? You can do everything right, and still get kicked in the nuts. Which is why its important to know your strategy, and invest in stocks/bonds/reits/etf's/mutual funds that meet the goals of that strategy.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Dividend strategy are not the sexist at all. They are a very good way to create wealth for the long term investments. Probably has created the majority of the Millionaires in the U.S. The key is having patience, and adding funds monthly/qtrly in those investments for many years. Dont expect to double you $$$ in 2 months or 1 year. Expect/hope for a solid 6-10% average rate of return over 20 years.

Your advice is pretty much what happens in my 401K type of portfolios. My speculative portfolio is geared to take advantage of current markets, for hopefully higher ROI in the short term. As I noted in above post, I take proceeds from the Speculative profits, and re invest those proceeds into the 401K types.

Both strategys work, but you have to know what strategy you are going for, before you spend a dollar. If not, you will most likely sell when you shouldnt have. Thats the secret sauce, that most of us don't have. Have the guts to to hold, when an investment goes south. Or Buy more of a stock that just tanked 10-15%.

Investing is not for weak, it will test you, and make you feel like fool... Please ask me how I know? You can do everything right, and still get kicked in the nuts. Which is why its important to know your strategy, and invest in stocks/bonds/reits/etf's/mutual funds that meet the goals of that strategy.
Theyre not sexy at all. However, given the circumstances of the op pulling money out of his kids cd's, im assuming hes doing this to make their college savings grow more efficiently than keeping it in a cd. I used 10k but the 14K (7K each he wanted to throw into disney and exxon) is more than enough to diversify between any of those, most which offer no fee DRIPS, and just watch it grow. Id set it, buy extra shares on the dips, but mostly forget it.

Xring01

Reaction score
Interesting... so what would happen to the stocks if it were taken over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know, its never happened before. As in converting a IOU to a Muni.
All the below is my opinion.....

Regardless you still have SEC Regulations in place.

Typically when one company buys a publically traded company. The two party's meet, and agree on what the price of the stock is worth. PG&E management will say it will be worth $65 in 4 years, and government will try to argue is worth fair market value. Meaning it would drag on indefinitely. Because a key issue remains. Government is trying to take a publically traded company private. Meaning they have to buy all the stock, not just the controlling shares.

Basically nothing can truly happen until the stock is purchased.

When FB bought up Instagram they typically pay a premium over the current price. Never a discount. Hell when any publically traded company buys another ptc, its pretty much always a premium over current price, huge premium. FB only owns the contolling shares, thousands of investors are made whole, because there Instagram shares are converted to FB shares.

But that still doesnt get around all the regulatory aspects of how IOU's operate, versus Munis. Thats cant happen overnight, which means who ever owns it, opens itself up to all kinds of lawsuits. Here is a quick one... What happens to all the retired PG&E employees who's retirement plan is based on PG&E stock? Or current employees. Everyone one of them can sue to stop the government from taking over. Probably 20,000 current employees, and how many retired... I can think of many many cases for lawsuits.

Honestly, I just dont see it happening at all.

Because it creates huge obstacles, with no clear path to success. Even then, the last thing Ca Gov wants, is when the next fire breaks out. That its CA Utility's fault. Its alot easy for him to blame PG&E, than accept responsibility that CA IOU Utility regulations had a huge hand in creating the PGE problems.

I believe it would cause far greater problems, destroy politicians, and poor gasoline on the "problem". Electricity reliability would go way down.

I could be 100% wrong.. but there are huge obstacles to overcome, with no plan to get there. Therefore, PG&E will come out of BK pretty soon. Stock will continue to climb, once they present a plan to pay the debt, and return equity to stock holders. In 18 months or so, the world moved on to the next crisis... Utility Peer P/E ratios will be 2x PGC and they will equalize with there peers. Just like Bank of America did after the housing crisis, or firestone after the Explorer tires/car crash/fatalitys, and 100s of other company's... Exon Valdez, British Petroleam,

Xring01

Reaction score
What stocks are on your guys Radars at the moment?
I am buying a bit more PGC at this pull back...

Maybe increase my positions in LVGO, AMZN and maybe a new position...

Xring01

Reaction score
Damn, I got real lucky... go back to page one...Look at what I was buying and see where those are today.
AMZN, LVGO, PCG, & ZM...

I will give you a quick hint.... LVGO is up 45%...

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Kicking myself for not buying Boeing last Thursday lol.
What’s your guys take this morning?
Do you think we have reached the bottom for the most part?

More and more people are getting fed up with this lockdown and Trump seems to started hinting that we are passed the worst part.

Xring01

Reaction score
my thoughts...

its very difficult to fight the fed, who just spent $1.3 trillion dollars....

however the key metric that I am laser focused on is the Un employment numbers.

if they climb much higher, rapidly, the market will drop.

so letsjust say I am cautiously optimistic.

Xring01

Reaction score
Ohhhh yeah... Doubled my $$$ on LVGO...

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Ohhhh yeah... Doubled my $$$ on LVGO...

The chart looks great. RSI has topped 70 twice recently which would have probably caused me to unload some shares, but the 5 day EMA has been above the 10 day EMA, which have both been above the 20 SMA since late march which shows a lot of momentum. Great pick, I'm a pussy so I'd take some profits now and continue to let the remainder ride until the price closes below the 20 day SMA.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
The chart looks great. RSI has topped 70 twice recently which would have probably caused me to unload some shares, but the 5 day EMA has been above the 10 day EMA, which have both been above the 20 SMA since late march which shows a lot of momentum. Great pick, I'm a pussy so I'd take some profits now and continue to let the remainder ride until the price closes below the 20 day SMA.

I told myself a week ago, any sign of weekness, honor the stop loss order... It was tight... real tight...
but it keeps going up... and I keep raising the stop loss...

Not to often you catch 100 percent in this timeframe.. and you called it out for the world to see your success or failure..

Yes, I a patting myself on the back.. but I know luck had a huge part in it. But my strategy is quite simple. Trades like this show why.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I have pulled all of the kids money out of their CD’s and invested it across 7 different companies. Now I’m just gonna sit back and pray for a big bounce back in the next couple years.
kids are 10,5&2. So I have some time. My goal is to give them a better start than my grandmother and parents gave me. So far we are on track. What do you guys think? See any companies you would not want to be in long term?
7488C413-AB4E-451A-A0B3-9A791240867A.jpeg

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I told myself a week ago, any sign of weekness, honor the stop loss order... It was tight... real tight...

Not to often you catch 100 percent in this timeframe.. and you called it out for the world to see your success or failure..

Yes, I a patting myself on the back.. but I know luck had a huge part in it. But my strategy is quite simple. Trades like this show why.

I just started playing this game and unfortunately it was right BEFORE the crash. I pussyfooted around at the bottom and have had a few decent gains in some recent buys, but nothing close to offsetting the losses of my buys in late Feb. Care to share what your strategy is? I have been studying the money flow system which is based on analyzing a stock's chart over the past 4 or so months and categorizing it's current status into one of 4 stages based on price and a handful of indicators. The simplicity is appealing, it's not rocket surgery. Picking the right stocks is something that will take time to figure out. Having a hard time ignoring my emotions, which I'm sure will wane with time and experience. I sat on the sidelines from just before the 2016 election until now and am so terribly mad at myself because I have no excuse for not putting my money to work for me other than I didn't put in the work to educate myself or have the discipline to pay attention to my money and make it grow.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

Does a stop loss order work differently than a simple sell order? I "sold" my BYND at what I thought was a nice little profit (20%) considering I got into it late and my emotions were getting the best of me. For some reason, it didn't sell for two days after clicking the sell button and sold for a whopping $6 total net gain after a steep drop in price from when I clicked the sell button. Is a stop loss order a guaranteed sale price? Obviously a sell order isn't from what I experienced.

Last edited:

zhandfull

Reaction score
History says there was great enthusiasm about making money in the stock market before the Great Depression that started in 1929.

"An old Wall Street saying has it that when everybody’s getting into the market and even the shoeshine boy is giving stock tips (or the barber/hairdresser or the taxi driver or the waiter or the bartender), then it’s time to sell."

People often forget that you can lose all the money invested in the stock market. Don't be one of them!

Xring01

Reaction score
Does a stop loss order work differently than a simple sell order? I "sold" my BYND at what I thought was a nice little profit (20%) considering I got into it late and my emotions were getting the best of me. For some reason, it didn't sell for two days after clicking the sell button and sold for a whopping $6 total net gain after a steep drop in price. Is a stop loss order a guaranteed sale price? Obviously a sell order isn't from what I experienced.

Stop Loss, or Stop Limit Orders are the same in my book. Its a way to limit your loss on a position..
Say you own Stock XYZ for $100/share, but you own $10,000 worth of it..
You only want risk 5%. So you set a Stop Loss, or Stop Limit order for $95.00 (in most platforms, some allow 5%).
In a perfect world, if the intra day trading and it XYZ drops to $95, you order is triggered and executed, limiting your loss.

Now a key thing here.. it not fool proof.
Lets say XYZ is Trading at $100... you have Stop Limit Order in place at $95 and in the middle of the night they have catastrophic loss of a refinery blowing up, killing thousands of people... The next morning the markets open and XYZ is trading at $80/share. You order will trigger, and you will get $80/share, not $95...

These types of orders can you help you but you need to understand that they work great when the market is open, but cant always protect you.

To one persons question..
Part of my strategy is after I place any order, I imediately set stop loss/limit order, to protect my self. But I trade from my phone at times... so I watch things like a hawk. I am always moving the “limit” of those orders.

So I buy a stock at 100, with a 90 stop... as the stock moves into profitability to say 115, I move the stop to 105 ish....
9 months later I am 120, with 110 stop.... protecting my profits.....

So, LVGO.... I had a 10% stop on it... I kept moving that up, and up and up... I got into that stock at $25, $26, in several stages...
Guess what,,, as it moved into the 50s, I had 44-45 dollar stop.... time to move the stop again.

Xring01

Reaction score
BYND
Thats one I truly regret. Its been on my watchlist for awhile, and I have been watching it closely, but didnt buy, thought that I had better stocks instead of it.
Its one that I will regret not buying, when I had identified it.
I am still quite bullish on it still. It has room to go higher, assuming the market doesnt tank.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I bought JNUG when it was around $40/share. It kept dropping so I unloaded all but 1 share (I always like to keep one just for the hell of it). It has now almost doubled in price per share and I do regret selling but I was (and still am) new to trading. I am currently bank rolling all my dice on GUSH. I've sold everything but by 1 JNUG and have thrown it all into GUSH. I am in this for fun, not for long haul. That is, not at least until I gain more knowledge/experience.

Xring01

Reaction score
I just started playing this game and unfortunately it was right BEFORE the crash. I pussyfooted around at the bottom and have had a few decent gains in some recent buys, but nothing close to offsetting the losses of my buys in late Feb. Care to share what your strategy is? I have been studying the money flow system which is based on analyzing a stock's chart over the past 4 or so months and categorizing it's current status into one of 4 stages based on price and a handful of indicators. The simplicity is appealing, it's not rocket surgery. Picking the right stocks is something that will take time to figure out. Having a hard time ignoring my emotions, which I'm sure will wane with time and experience. I sat on the sidelines from just before the 2016 election until now and am so terribly mad at myself because I have no excuse for not putting my money to work for me other than I didn't put in the work to educate myself or have the discipline to pay attention to my money and make it grow.

Give me some time to truly articulate in writing my strategy. I have an older version that I wrote down years ago. I will update it... post it or email to peeps that want it...

A key thing though.. You cant be lazy... This is your future we are talking about. You have to spend time every day.. Not joking. I wake up with Yahoo finance on my Ipad every morning. Read, read read...

If you not willing to put in the work, then just buy ETF index funds.

One quick thing to get you started on my strategy.
Only use this strategy in a Bull Market... Is the market going up in the next 3/6/9/12 months. If yes read on, if not... keep money on the sidelines, wait for a Bull Market. Unless you have the capability to short stocks in a bear market.

Diversification is a huge topic for me. I feel that Mutual Funds are over DV’d and prevent big wins, because they are spread out over to many stocks... BUT THATS MY OPINION... You need DV, but not hundreds or thousands of positions. I like DV in another aspect.

Identify the Business Sectors that have the best economic/political chance of being successful in the next 3/6/9/12 months.
Identify the best in breed stocks in each sector, find 2-3 in each sector, research the shit of them, find the best one.

So, you end up with 3-5 Sectors/Stocks...
Example...
You have $20,000, to invest...
$5000 in Tech (AMZN is my Tech)
$5000 in Utility (PCG is my UT)
$5000 in Business Software (Zoom was my position)
$5000 in Medical (LVGO is my Medical)

(Back to Diversification above - this strategy is DV, because you are in different sectors. If one sector takes a hit, then most likely the other 3 sectors are doing fine..)

In each $5000... dont buy all in at one time. Stage the buys. No one times the market. So 3 $1600 ish purchases over time, to dollar cost average into a position. Because buying $5000 of stock, and it drops 8% the next day sucks.... But if you bought $1600 of it day one, it drops buy more at a discount... watch it for a week or so,,, may month, make your last purchase to fully fund that position. Do that on all things you own.

Continuely move the Stop Loss/Limit orders, and honor them...

Lets say I have $200,000... The strategy doesnt change.... $50K in each sector...

When the Economic/Political landscape shifts, so does your strategy. Just because you thought finance would do well 3 months ago, and now you see different... sell.... sell that bitch, find the next sector. Stage your way back in.

Political/Economic landscapes are the key to this strategy. So pay attention, do your homework, be ready to fail, be ready to succeed. You will not win all your positions, you will lose some, but limit loss’s, ride the big wins as long as you can.

Of my 4 sectors that I went into... look back on this thread and you will see..
I am up on all of them... yep I felt it was a once in lifetime opportunity, and I went all in.
But some of my positions are up a small amount, and one doubled.
Zoom dissappointed me, and I honored my stop loss on it.. sold it... then that bitch turned right around and went back up to a new high... uggg, but dropped again.. but I put that $$$ into another stock that did OK, not great, but OK...
I am looking at that sector and evaluating if I want another stock in that sector, or change sectors...

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Been papertrading for 2 weeks after 3 weeks of losing real money.Ever since I have been keeping to my strategies I have been green everyday.

No more chasing or getting fomo. 9ema and vwap are so important. Learning level 2 data and how spy correlates with everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I bought JNUG when it was around $40/share. It kept dropping so I unloaded all but 1 share (I always like to keep one just for the hell of it). It has now almost doubled in price per share and I do regret selling but I was (and still am) new to trading. I am currently bank rolling all my dice on GUSH. I've sold everything but by 1 JNUG and have thrown it all into GUSH. I am in this for fun, not for long haul. That is, not at least until I gain more knowledge/experience.

I may leave my money in GUSH for the long term and wait for a run up. The upside potential is just huge. I have tripled my initial investment and have kept buying on the way up. I just bought more this week, and that lot is flat. I am up 125% overall.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Been papertrading for 2 weeks after 3 weeks of losing real money.Ever since I have been keeping to my strategies I have been green everyday.

No more chasing or getting fomo. 9ema and vwap are so important. Learning level 2 data and how spy correlates with everything.

I also have money set aside for swing trading. Made money from mgm and delta when the first bottom hit. A lot less stress being a swing trader.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I may leave my money in GUSH for the long term and wait for a run up. The upside potential is just huge. I have tripled my initial investment and have kept buying on the way up. I just bought more this week, and that lot is flat. I am up 125% overall.

I buy about $150/week in their stock. I can just transfer money in from my checking. I think I am in about $600 right now. If I lose it all, big whoop. However, I am up something like 42% right now. As you said, potential is HUGE. I am just going to keep buying until I feel the price per share is too rich for my blood LOL.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I buy about $150/week in their stock. I can just transfer money in from my checking. I think I am in about $600 right now. If I lose it all, big whoop. However, I am up something like 42% right now. As you said, potential is HUGE. I am just going to keep buying until I feel the price per share is too rich for my blood LOL.

This is just my feeling, but it is going to be a slow run up with the oil industry the way it is. There will be some fairly quick, aggressive peak because of some outside factors in the oil and gas industry, and it will drop back down. That could be in a year, that could be in 5 years. I think it is a really safe bet getting in now while the oil prices are so low. Also the fund is only delivering 2X up or down now, vs the 3X it was delivering before.

This is hypothetical obviously, but I have about $10K in my position now. If it reached its 52 week high again, what I have now would be like $1M. And if I lost what is there now, I wouldn't care too much. Realistically, unless it goes back to delivering 3X, that $1M would still be $650K or so.. I'd be fine with that lol.

This is the same for JNUG.. I'm just going to hold on to my cheap entry position and wait.

Last edited: