WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

America NEEDS to reduce its dependence on China - what would you do?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
While the hacks in DC are talking about printing trillions more...

If you're a legislator in DC, what law do you propose to encourage American companies to not buy from China?

I'll say this: Trump showed us the way with TARIFFS on China! And my suggestion would be a law that ramps up tariffs on China by some percentages every month ultimately making the cost of products - all products - from China go up and up and up.

Do you think that would work?

We don't need to make everything in the US. But we do need to end spending with the Chinese. There are other countries that can produce goods for US companies at low cost: India, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I chose a local burger joint over a Chinese place today. Just doing my part. That's a tough one since we don't always have options for something else

C08H18

Reaction score
Would like to see everything in the US identified with 1) country of origin, 2) country of origin of raw materials, and 3) producers' ownership and controlling interest. Let us make a decision as to whether to buy non-US goods. I am very leary of meat and other foods either grown or slaughtered in China as well as Chinese owned/managed companies producing food here. I would also require that % content is measured by both weight and value so they can't game the system. The % daily nutrition value label would be a great candidate for replacement with a label stating where the stuff came from.
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 4.45.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 4.45.41 PM.png

Reaction score
what the big difference from China OR India, Vietnam, Thailand ? they all use SLAVE labor

but I would be willing to forgo Panda Express...

Justfishing

Reaction score

If you're a legislator in DC, what law do you propose to encourage American companies to not buy from China?

I'll say this: Trump showed us the way with TARIFFS on China! And my suggestion would be a law that ramps up tariffs on China by some percentages every month ultimately making the cost of products - all products - from China go up and up and up.

We don't need to make everything in the US. But we do need to end spending with the Chinese. There are other countries that can produce goods for US companies at low cost: India, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

The simplest and most effective is for the consumer to look at where things are made. I have done it for years. I try to avoid stuff made in china.

Sometimes i do without something or pay a little more for US made items. Other times the choice it made in anywhere but china.

If the stores can't sell it they will source it from somewhere else.

Does anyone hate watching shark tank when the first thing the sharks do is talk about outsourcing to china even when the guest is making decent money producing locally.

Lastly we have driven industries out of the US with epa regulations. China has swooped in bought the old equipment and moved the pollution to china. If you really care about pollution then goods imported to US should be made in accordance with US regulations. That would go along ways to make US companies competitive.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
what the big difference from China OR India, Vietnam, Thailand ? they all use SLAVE labor

but I would be willing to forgo Panda Express...

That's absolutely untrue. Not close to the truth. Furthermore, China is unlike any other country in the world.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The very first thing we need to do is drop a nuke on Beijing the minute all the commies are gathered there, then figure how to get our old stuff back!!

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I like your passion but that would be the worst day ever for the entire world

DC-88

Reaction score
Massively Lower the labor burden on employers, clean up work comp, deny all frivolous/pussified lawsuits, and require employees to invest a certain % of gross earnings into their own 401k's . Cut underfunded pensions would be next on the list 😉 fuck China

JDKRXW

Reaction score

The others have somewhat democratic governments whose main goal is not to expand their countries by whatever means is required ....like building islands in the middle of the ocean.

Just don't say anything bad about the king when you're in Thailand.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I know for my Harley-Davidson, Most if not all from the dealer are made in China, India, Thailand.
If you look hard enough there are USA suppliers. S&S Cycles for one, it cost more but it is Genuine USA.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

The truth is, these trillions that we are "printing" will actually help in this theater. Controlled devaluation of the dollar as when being compared to other world currencies is the best way to start bringing jobs and manufacturing home as well as incentivizing other countries to begin purchasing from us. A lower valued dollar makes all other country's exports more expensive to us when at the same time making our exports cheaper to them.

This exact phenomenon is why you always hear about China massively devaluing the Yen whenever the country's exports begin to fall. That's how we bring manufacturing back to the states

Reaction score
I googled "products made in china" to see if I could post the list, but I gave up think it would have broke this website if I could have done it...

traquer

Reaction score

I've been to Thailand 3 times and I loved it each time. The sweetest and nicest people in such a beautiful land. I wish them and their country the best. China on the other hand... I spent 2 days there and could hardly wait to leave.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I think we need to get some of these government agencies out of the way of some of these domestic manufacturers such as the EPA & AQMD etc. We also need to have a realistic minimum wage, not a minimum living wage for “super sizing French fries.”

I also think we as consumers have gotten to caught up with the “how cheap can I possibly find it on amazon” which is taking any value of higher quality Made in USA right out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley1

Reaction score
I buy $160 New Balance sneakers because they’re the only ones I know of that are made in the USA. Same that I wore at boot camp.
I have and will spent up to 2X more for American made products.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I do try not to buy from china, but it is difficult. It will take time and I hope the companies that do manufacture there will diversify out to other countries. We as consumers are going to have to spread the pain out. Try to buy other products as much as possible without bankrupting yourself or doing without something that is truly needed. Obviously, it will be tougher on poorer families. Do they do without something that will make their life more enjoyable or easier just because of where it is made? Prescriptions should have to be made here period. Food should have to be labeled where it is processed.

Wife has been shopping for furniture for the new house. Trying to buy USA made and it is tough. Ended up going with a USA made real wood guts, but a veneer outer for our guests bedroom. For the master we went with an Amish built. I will admit it was tough to swallow the cost. Decent china built set was 1800 ish. USA made was 2900 and the Amish was 4900. I only tell these prices as a comparison. I am sure their are people here that spend way more than that on furniture. We retired early and one way we could was to buy quality stuff, but not go crazy to buy the latest and greatest.

squeezer

Reaction score

the lynch mob

Reaction score
I buy $160 New Balance sneakers because they’re the only ones I know of that are made in the USA. Same that I wore at boot camp.
I have and will spent up to 2X more for American made products.
I was looking to try New Balance again due to made in USA but most of the running ones aren’t US made. Disappointing.

johnnyC

Reaction score
when I was looking for a 2 post automotive hoist i began comparing their construction and found that they were virtually all the same just had differentcolors and brand names affixed, went to alibaba and looked there and low and behold you could buy all the individual component parts,
all these hoists being sold are made in china...... sad state of affairs!

HotRod82

Reaction score
A few years ago I lost my Chanelocks on a job and needed a new pair ASAP. I went into the Walmart and they had genuine blue Ceannelock (USA MADE) and the yellow made in China Stanley brand. The Chanelock brand was 4 dollars more and I bought them. Since that day, I go out of my way to buy everything I can from US, Canada, and Mexico only. I'm not always successful, but I feel good denying the Chinese every chance I get.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Massively Lower the labor burden on employers, clean up work comp, deny all frivolous/pussified lawsuits, and require employees to invest a certain % of gross earnings into their own 401k's . Cut underfunded pensions would be next on the list 😉 fuck China

This.

D19

Reaction score
Best way to support American businesses is to stop supporting American politicians.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would like to see Amazon show where every item is made.
Costco, Target. Auto Zone, Home Depot, Lowes and this list goes on and on. The reason for this is Americans wanted cheap, quality products. Well 25 years later this is what you got. This did not come about in the last 10 years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I would like to see Amazon show where every item is made.

That really does not matter. Anything you buy from Amazon you are using your Chinese made phone or computer to order from their Chinese made computers running code developed offshore that tells the robots full of Chinese components, (again with code developed offshore) to fulfill your order that likely came here from China anyway.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
That really does not matter. Anything you buy from Amazon you are using your Chinese made phone or computer to order from their Chinese made computers running code developed offshore that tells the robots full of Chinese components, again with code developed offshore to fulfill your order that likely came here from China anyway.

I get that. The key is turning this ship around and pulling the Chinese needle out of our collective arms - the US is a Chinese junkie

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Costco, Target. Auto Zone, Home Depot, Lowes and this list goes on and on. The reason for this is Americans wanted cheap, quality products. Well 25 years later this is what you got. This did not come about in the last 10 years.

That is why this talk is a complete pipe dream. When the rubber hits the road, no one wants $3000 TVs, $2000 phones, $4000 wood nightstands and a $50,000 Ford Focus.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I get that. The key is turning this ship around and pulling the Chinese needle out of our collective arms - the US is a Chinese junkie

We won’t. At best we will start sponsoring some other country to compete with China.

Even with full automation, taking the human cost out of manufacturing, it is simply more costly to make things here. Not everyone is ready to spend 2x,3x,4x for every item they purchase.

“Taking the needle out of our arm” means going backwards with regards to regulation, safety, environmental concerns, buying power, etc.

We literally outsourced most of our dirty work to other countries.

Last edited:

bocco

Reaction score
Is there even a single TV made in USA?

TCHB

Reaction score
I just bought a new American golf driver. Design in San Diego, Manufactured in China and assembled in Vietnam. In the power industry Westinghouse Electric was a big player. Guess who took them over and removed every thing that had Westinghouse name on it. Siemens

johnnyC

Reaction score
don't forget that after 2008 GM relocated a good part of their R&D to china

PlanB

Reaction score
I was ready to drop 2500 bucks on a DJI drone. Now the purchase is on hold, and I am looking at an American made drone instead. I always tried to buy U.S. made products, but now, not buying Chinese will be a priority. Even if I have to buy from other foreign countries, it's better than buying from the enemy.