WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Use those SXS seatbelts!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Just got word that a couple me and my sister knows had an accident on their SXS and were taken from Kingman to the Vegas hospital...The girl has two shattered arms and the guy had no feelings in his legs. Today they went in through the front of his neck and he has a little feeling. Tomorrow they go in the back...their kids were video taping and saw everything. I don’t know exactly what happened because I got this from my mom.....a long way of saying be safe when out...I don’t know if they were hot dogging for the video or jumping something..My sister is helping out with them so I didn’t want to bother her for the details just yet.she knows them better than me because back in the day when my sister was district manager of all the Pizza Huts in Mohave County, the girl was manager of the Kingman one....All I do know is that for some reason, and obviously not a good one, the seatbelts weren’t used.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Mine won’t go over 20 mph ? Maybe a little more With out seat belt on

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Bummer.

Agreed the belts should be used and harnesses are better.

But I’m not going to nanny anyone, not like I wear a helmet in mine very often in AZ, so I’m not one to talk.

That is why I love AZ. The risks are known, and we have personal choice.

That said I believe wearing seat belts is the law? But since in AZ a SXS is classified as a motorcycle are they still required by law to be worn?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's almost beyond belief people ride without proper restraints.

Have you seen people lately?

9AA70537-B45A-48CA-BE34-B666954A1E50.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't own a side by side, but had sandrails and friends with prerunners and actual race trucks. The rules had always been the same, in a seat, strapped down. When I was younger, I thought it was overkill. Then I saw a few instances of complacency. The attitude of "we're only on the play hills", or "we're just putting around camp". Hit a small whoop and a ball joint fails, catch a rut and break the bead...everything is fine, until it isn't.
I hope they can heal up. Going to be real hard, and a lot of work. Tough to do stuff with a broken neck, and tough to help with broken arms. Been the guy with the neck surguries...have a scar from the middle of my shoulder blades past the vertibrae and up my skull...also the matching one in front, though not near as big. Hopefully some of the loss of feeling is swelling within the spine. If it is, he'll get more feeling and maybe some use after a few days. Any feeling though, at least gives hope. Modern medicine is some amazing stuff.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Bummer.

Agreed the belts should be used and harnesses are better.

But I’m not going to nanny anyone, not like I wear a helmet in mine very often in AZ, so I’m not one to talk.

That is why I love AZ. The risks are known, and we have personal choice.

That said I believe wearing seat belts is the law? But since in AZ a SXS is classified as a motorcycle are they still required by law to be worn?
Well put . Worn properly is just important . Our friend was killed in a accident where they rolled multiple times and he only had on is harness over his lap . He ended up outside it and it rolled over him multiple times . O P I hope your friends come out of this okay .

EStreetLori

Reaction score
Well put . Worn properly is just important . Our friend was killed in a accident where they rolled multiple times and he only had on is harness over his lap . He ended up outside it and it rolled over him multiple times . O P I hope your friends come out of this okay .
If you are talking about Todd, you aren't quite accurate. We were wearing harnesses and he did not end up outside of it. In fact, the CanAm landed on the roll cage and we were both still strapped in and hanging upside down. Todd's helmet cracked behind his right ear and this allowed the still buckled helmet to come off of his head. It was found up at the top of the hill. The harnesses he had installed worked perfectly as we were both buckled and wearing them properly. His cause of death was multiple blunt force traumas to the head, not being crushed by the CanAm. I don't want it said that he wasn't being as safe as he could be. He was an experienced driver who I had complete confidence in.

rrrr

Reaction score
If you are talking about Todd, you aren't quite accurate. We were wearing harnesses and he did not end up outside of it. In fact, the CanAm landed on the roll cage and we were both still strapped in and hanging upside down. Todd's helmet cracked behind his right ear and this allowed the still buckled helmet to come off of his head. It was found up at the top of the hill. The harnesses he had installed worked perfectly as we were both buckled and wearing them properly. His cause of death was multiple blunt force traumas to the head, not being crushed by the CanAm. I don't want it said that he wasn't being as safe as he could be. He was an experienced driver who I had complete confidence in.

TLDR? Your life may depend upon this post.

I hate hearing about people injured or killed boating or riding. We need to do everything possible to avoid that.

The post above brings up an important consideration. There are many helmet manufacturers, and the prices can be quite steep. But the old adage applies, "You get what you pay for". It's a perverse fact that people will spend thousands of dollars on suspension upgrades, improved rollover protection, light bars, and similar items, but they'll cheap out on the helmet or use one that's several years old.

A good helmet costs close to a thousand dollars. But is that really expensive? A traumatic brain injury can rob you of your ability to function, with outcomes as diverse as severe recurrent headaches to complete incapacitation that requires around the clock medical care. A TBI can change your life, and leave your family without an income and mountains of medical bills.

Everyone that rides should be familiar with helmet safety rating organizations, and what the ratings mean. These ratings insure the helmets pass the most stringent tests, and increase the ability of the wearer to escape serious injury in an accident.

I've posted a link below from the Motorcycle Legal Foundation. The website explains the various tests and ratings of safety agencies, and also provides a review of the best helmets and the certifications they possess.

In my IndyCar racing years prior to the installation of the SAFER barrier at all tracks, I witnessed horrific crashes on oval speedways that occurred at speeds over 200 MPH. Two of those involved my driver, and both registered near 100 G impacts. He survived both incidents sore as hell, but without severe head injury. You'll never have an experience anywhere close to that, but there have been plenty of people killed in low speed impacts because their helmet hit the vehicle structure and failed as a result.

I haven't mentioned other safety gear like harnesses and arm restraints, but the same factors are in play. A seemingly harmless rollover could cause a life altering injury.

Please consider the possibility you could become the victim of a severe injury while simply having a fun day with friends, and choose your safety gear accordingly. Your family deserves that much.

How To Choose The Safest Motorcycle Helmet 2020

There are several safety standards for motorcycle helmets, and knowing what they cover can be confusing. They can overlap in requirements, and have different criteria in other respects.

According to popular blogger, Motorbike Writer, “The most important feature in a helmet is its safety rating, so I’d check official ratings such as the UK SHARP website” (which will be discussed below). Here are the main safety standards and what you need to know about each:

Snell Memorial Foundation (M-95 / M2000)

The Snell Foundation certification is not a requirement by law in the United States (or around the world). Still, they go above and beyond the minimum criteria to thoroughly test helmets in many respects. Beyond motorcycle helmets, they test for bicycling, karting, and professional motorsports. Below are the safety features they test for:

Impact Testing – he impact test uses controlled impacts to simulate different impact surfaces. The object is to measure gravitational (G) force or acceleration. If the peak acceleration in any test exceeds a value, the helmet is rejected.

Positional Stability (Roll-Off) Test – A head form is mounted so that it points face downward at an angle of 135 degrees. The helmet is placed on the head form and the straps and buckles adjusted to obtain the best fit condition. Weight is connected via wire rope and dropped from a determined height. The helmet is turned 180 degrees, and the test conducted again. The helmet may shift, but must not roll off the head form to pass the test.

Dynamic Retention Test – The helmet is placed on a head form with the chin strap fastened under a device representing the jaw. The jaw piece has a 23 kg weight applied for around one minute. The retention system is tested by simultaneously removing the 23 kg weight and applying a 38 kg mass in an abrupt guided fall. The retention system fails if it cannot support the mechanical loads or if the maximum instantaneous deflection (stretch) exceeds 30 mm (1.18 inches).

Chin Bar Test – The test helmet is attached to a base with the chin bar facing upward. A 5 kg weight is dropped to hit the central portion of the chin bar. The maximum downward deflection of the chin bar must not exceed the stated distance.

Shell Penetration Test – The test helmet is attached to a base. A sharp-pointed 3-kg object is dropped from a prescribed height. The test striker must not penetrate the helmet or even achieve momentary contact with the head from inside the helmet.

Faceshield Penetration Test – The face shield (also called a visor) is attached to a test helmet and shot along the centerline in three separate places with an air rifle. The rifle shoots sharp, soft lead pellets at speeds approximately at 500 kph (310 miles per hour). The pellets must not penetrate the visor for it to pass the test.
D.O.T. (Department of Transportation FMVSS218)

FMVSS218 is the technical standard that defines the minimum criteria that a helmet manufacturer must certify against in the United States. It’s simply known as the D.O.T. helmet standard certification generally. The tests are very similar to the Snell Memorial tests. Still, the judged values are slightly different on criteria for impact, severity, and test equipment used. The Snell certification is more difficult to pass than the DOT testing. One additional note is that the manufacturer certifies their helmets in their labs. In contrast, Snell tests and certifies any helmet submitted to them from any manufacturer.

European Standard 22/05

The European standard is very similar to the DOT and Snell testing. The values and tests vary slightly on most criteria, and it also adds a retention standard testing for slipping, abrasion, retention, and durability. One additional test for helmet shell rigidity is done under the ECE 22/05 standard that is not done under Snell or DOT.

European BSI 6658-85 Type A

Europe also has a second standard that helmets are measured by, and it is very close to the Snell testing scheme. Passing values on specific tests vary slightly from the Snell standard. Still, many of the categories list the benefits as the “same as the Snell M2005 test” as a reference. The BSI tests also incorporate the chin strap slippage, retention, and abrasion testing seen on the ECE 22/05 testing.

SHARP

SHARP is a testing and rating system only available for helmets sold in the UK (United Kingdom / England). It measures just impact protection of the helmet based on similar testing to the other standards and rates helmets with a star rating system instead of a pass / fail result. The ratings are shown from a 1-star (lowest) to a 5-star (highest).

Top 11 Safest Motorcycle Helmet Recommendations

There are many new helmets to choose from, and it would take a long time to look through every helmet manufacturer to find the safest helmets out there. We have done that search for you and have identified 11 helmets that meet multiple certifications with some extra styling and features to look into.

(Recommendations of specific helmets follow)

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Family member was in a SxS that rolled over a very low speed (crawling). Her arm got pinned between the frame and the ground and, to make a long story short, she almost lost her arm - several times. She was airflighted to a hospital and has endured multiple surgeries and her arm and life will never be the same. But, thank God, she's alive and well relatively speaking.

Clearly seat belts and helmets are not enough

EStreetLori

Reaction score
TLDR? Your life may depend upon this post.

I hate hearing about people injured or killed boating or riding. We need to do everything possible to avoid that.

The post above brings up an important consideration. There are many helmet manufacturers, and the prices can be quite steep. But the old adage applies, "You get what you pay for". It's a perverse fact that people will spend thousands of dollars on suspension upgrades, improved rollover protection, light bars, and similar items, but they'll cheap out on the helmet or use one that's several years old.

A good helmet costs close to a thousand dollars. But is that really expensive? A traumatic brain injury can rob you of your ability to function, with outcomes as diverse as severe recurrent headaches to complete incapacitation that requires around the clock medical care. A TBI can change your life, and leave your family without an income and mountains of medical bills.

Everyone that rides should be familiar with helmet safety rating organizations, and what the ratings mean. These ratings insure the helmets pass the most stringent tests, and increase the ability of the wearer to escape serious injury in an accident.

I've posted a link below from the Motorcycle Legal Foundation. The website explains the various tests and ratings of safety agencies, and also provides a review of the best helmets and the certifications they possess.

In my IndyCar racing years prior to the installation of the SAFER barrier at all tracks, I witnessed horrific crashes on oval speedways that occurred at speeds over 200 MPH. Two of those involved my driver, and both registered near 100 G impacts. He survived both incidents sore as hell, but without severe head injury. You'll never have an experience anywhere close to that, but there have been plenty of people killed in low speed impacts because their helmet hit the vehicle structure and failed as a result.

I haven't mentioned other safety gear like harnesses and arm restraints, but the same factors are in play. A seemingly harmless rollover could cause a life altering injury.

Please consider the possibility you could become the victim of a severe injury while simply having a fun day with friends, and choose your safety gear accordingly. Your family deserves that much.

How To Choose The Safest Motorcycle Helmet 2020

There are several safety standards for motorcycle helmets, and knowing what they cover can be confusing. They can overlap in requirements, and have different criteria in other respects.

According to popular blogger, Motorbike Writer, “The most important feature in a helmet is its safety rating, so I’d check official ratings such as the UK SHARP website” (which will be discussed below). Here are the main safety standards and what you need to know about each:

Snell Memorial Foundation (M-95 / M2000)

The Snell Foundation certification is not a requirement by law in the United States (or around the world). Still, they go above and beyond the minimum criteria to thoroughly test helmets in many respects. Beyond motorcycle helmets, they test for bicycling, karting, and professional motorsports. Below are the safety features they test for:

Impact Testing – he impact test uses controlled impacts to simulate different impact surfaces. The object is to measure gravitational (G) force or acceleration. If the peak acceleration in any test exceeds a value, the helmet is rejected.

Positional Stability (Roll-Off) Test – A head form is mounted so that it points face downward at an angle of 135 degrees. The helmet is placed on the head form and the straps and buckles adjusted to obtain the best fit condition. Weight is connected via wire rope and dropped from a determined height. The helmet is turned 180 degrees, and the test conducted again. The helmet may shift, but must not roll off the head form to pass the test.

Dynamic Retention Test – The helmet is placed on a head form with the chin strap fastened under a device representing the jaw. The jaw piece has a 23 kg weight applied for around one minute. The retention system is tested by simultaneously removing the 23 kg weight and applying a 38 kg mass in an abrupt guided fall. The retention system fails if it cannot support the mechanical loads or if the maximum instantaneous deflection (stretch) exceeds 30 mm (1.18 inches).

Chin Bar Test – The test helmet is attached to a base with the chin bar facing upward. A 5 kg weight is dropped to hit the central portion of the chin bar. The maximum downward deflection of the chin bar must not exceed the stated distance.

Shell Penetration Test – The test helmet is attached to a base. A sharp-pointed 3-kg object is dropped from a prescribed height. The test striker must not penetrate the helmet or even achieve momentary contact with the head from inside the helmet.

Faceshield Penetration Test – The face shield (also called a visor) is attached to a test helmet and shot along the centerline in three separate places with an air rifle. The rifle shoots sharp, soft lead pellets at speeds approximately at 500 kph (310 miles per hour). The pellets must not penetrate the visor for it to pass the test.
D.O.T. (Department of Transportation FMVSS218)

FMVSS218 is the technical standard that defines the minimum criteria that a helmet manufacturer must certify against in the United States. It’s simply known as the D.O.T. helmet standard certification generally. The tests are very similar to the Snell Memorial tests. Still, the judged values are slightly different on criteria for impact, severity, and test equipment used. The Snell certification is more difficult to pass than the DOT testing. One additional note is that the manufacturer certifies their helmets in their labs. In contrast, Snell tests and certifies any helmet submitted to them from any manufacturer.

European Standard 22/05

The European standard is very similar to the DOT and Snell testing. The values and tests vary slightly on most criteria, and it also adds a retention standard testing for slipping, abrasion, retention, and durability. One additional test for helmet shell rigidity is done under the ECE 22/05 standard that is not done under Snell or DOT.

European BSI 6658-85 Type A

Europe also has a second standard that helmets are measured by, and it is very close to the Snell testing scheme. Passing values on specific tests vary slightly from the Snell standard. Still, many of the categories list the benefits as the “same as the Snell M2005 test” as a reference. The BSI tests also incorporate the chin strap slippage, retention, and abrasion testing seen on the ECE 22/05 testing.

SHARP

SHARP is a testing and rating system only available for helmets sold in the UK (United Kingdom / England). It measures just impact protection of the helmet based on similar testing to the other standards and rates helmets with a star rating system instead of a pass / fail result. The ratings are shown from a 1-star (lowest) to a 5-star (highest).

Top 11 Safest Motorcycle Helmet Recommendations

There are many new helmets to choose from, and it would take a long time to look through every helmet manufacturer to find the safest helmets out there. We have done that search for you and have identified 11 helmets that meet multiple certifications with some extra styling and features to look into.

(Recommendations of specific helmets follow)

I agree, a better quality helmet may have saved my husband's life. When we bought the CanAm helmets were not a law. And to honest, I did not like wearing them. It made my head sit too far forward, I couldn't hear my music as well, my ponytail didn't fit inside. We only had them on because we were at King of the Hammers which had a large ranger presence. It has taken my over three years to be able to say I am grateful we were wearing them because one saved my life. You always think it won't happen to you but it can and does. I cringe now when I see, or read about no helmets.

Anyway, longtime lurker but I had to correct the idea we weren't properly secured. We were cut out of the harnesses so they did a great job at what they were for. After my life flight to the trauma center I was sent home that evening with nothing but bruises.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Family member was in a SxS that rolled over a very low speed (crawling). Her arm got pinned between the frame and the ground and, to make a long story short, she almost lost her arm - several times. She was airflighted to a hospital and has endured multiple surgeries and her arm and life will never be the same. But, thank God, she's alive and well relatively speaking.

Clearly seat belts and helmets are not enough

This also happened to a member here GF while staying at my place. That's why I mentioned wrist restraints. Was not my SXS but at the end of the day I should of explained the dangers of it and safety protocol. Happened on the same trail i had previously flown off cliff over 150' in my RZR. I walked away but had some serious injuries. A few minutes of my time pressing the issue could of saved her from permanent injuries. One of those things that I wish I would of done but did not. I have offroaded since a young age and had several crashes over the years where safety equipment , experience and someone looking over me saved my ass. I am lucky and I should of been the one to stress the safety issue to her as She was not familiar with how dangerous offroading can be.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This is a side note/question for helmet safety. In a caged vehicle, I had heard that you should build the cage, seat mounts and harness points in a manner so as to restrict the helmet from being able to make contact with the cage. As some drag cars have become faster, "funnycar" style driver cages are built. These are very snug. In a setup like that, a streamliner or even a SxS, are helmet restraints an option to help center the occupant's head in a rollover or side impact? Since breaking my neck in a rollover in a car, a lot of these things have become more of interest to me. Even putting on quads the past few years, and some bigger truck stuff, I've found myself looking into Hans device setups, thinking they my help with the actual added weight of the helmet.

rrrr

Reaction score
I agree, a better quality helmet may have saved my husband's life. When we bought the CanAm helmets were not a law. And to honest, I did like wearing them. It made my head sit too far forward, I couldn't hear my music as well, my ponytail didn't fit inside. We only had them on because we were at King of the Hammers which had a large ranger presence. It has taken my over three years to be able to say I am grateful we were wearing them because one saved my life. You always think it won't happen to you but it can and does. I cringe now when I see, or read about no helmets.

Anyway, longtime lurker but I had to correct the idea we weren't properly secured. We were cut out of the harnesses so they did a great job at what they were for. After my life flight to the trauma center I was sent home that evening with nothing but bruises.

I offer my most sincere condolences to you. I hope the pain of that day has faded, and that you hold the good memories of your husband and his love in your heart.

Blessings to you.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
This is a side note/question for helmet safety. In a caged vehicle, I had heard that you should build the cage, seat mounts and harness points in a manner so as to restrict the helmet from being able to make contact with the cage. As some drag cars have become faster, "funnycar" style driver cages are built. These are very snug. In a setup like that, a streamliner or even a SxS, are helmet restraints an option to help center the occupant's head in a rollover or side impact? Since breaking my neck in a rollover in a car, a lot of these things have become more of interest to me. Even putting on quads the past few years, and some bigger truck stuff, I've found myself looking into Hans device setups, thinking they my help with the actual added weight of the helmet.
That is true. Eric Medlin lost his life from cage impacts during testing. ISP padding/foam has come a long way in helping prevent this. Mine was poured with me in place to custom mold everything. Cage is very snug, belts even tighter like hard to breath tight. What was surprising to me is how much I could still move when chutes popped. Acceleration G's are a blast negative G's are what gets you.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Yea.

So when you see those cut down aftermarket cages on a SXS that everyone thinks are "stronger" and look bad ass - they actually make the car less safe. If you are strapped in the helmet (or your dome) should not be able to touch the cage. With a cage you *should* have at least 5 point harnesses, and *should* wear a helmet.

If we are getting technical in that situation you *should* have a HANS style neck restraint, arm restraints, a containment seat, and fire rated suit, window nets, gloves and shoes... but we just made your family recreational sxs activity a cumbersome, uncomfortable and less fun exercise.

This is a recreational activity, I enjoy doing it at times without a helmet in states that allow me to do so. I'd prefer to keep that at as my own personal choice. Other people's choices are their own. My only advice is that whatever safety equipment you do choose to use, please use it correctly.

gqchris

Reaction score
Spot on sir. I still appreciate the option of having choices as well. We are all grown ups and can make our own decisions.

And as you have seen firsthand, because of this, I drive like a grandpa and do not like climbing any hills!😅

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Spot on sir. I still appreciate the option of having choices as well. We are all grown ups and can make our own decisions.

And as you have seen firsthand, because of this, I drive like a grandpa and do not like climbing any hills!😅

Truth.. When I’m out off-roading I am not trying to run my Sxs like Robby Gordon. Even when we are cruising around though I have the seatbelts uncomfortably tight..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I agree, a better quality helmet may have saved my husband's life. When we bought the CanAm helmets were not a law. And to honest, I did like wearing them. It made my head sit too far forward, I couldn't hear my music as well, my ponytail didn't fit inside. We only had them on because we were at King of the Hammers which had a large ranger presence. It has taken my over three years to be able to say I am grateful we were wearing them because one saved my life. You always think it won't happen to you but it can and does. I cringe now when I see, or read about no helmets.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.. :(.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It isn’t talked about on here much but there have actually been a few that have been tragically affected by not wearing seatbelts or a helmet and just puttting around camp. One was in a Sxs and the other I believe was on a quad.

a few years back a friend of mine lost someone very close to him just messing around on a dirt bike. This guy was as pro as pro could get he hit a little rut came off it wrong and that was it.

sirbob

Reaction score
I don’t have a SXS now but have in the past - if / when I get another I will be wearing a helmet with HANS for anything more than putting very slowly.

My brother died fully strapped in a 4x4 when it rolled off the edge of the road at the lower antenna curve on Saddleback MT. So did the girl in the back seat. Both broke their necks.

The irony was the only one to live was not buckled in and was thrown out the window.

The more safety gear the better IMO.

gqchris

Reaction score
Truth.. When I’m out off-roading I am not trying to run my Sxs like Robby Gordon. Even when we are cruising around though I have the seatbelts uncomfortably tight..

Hence why you and I kept the back of the pack on our last trip!

I agree on belts, they are strapped real tight.