WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HF Jack Stands

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wow thanks for posting [emoji106]

Ima have to check mine out, pretty sure I got them at HF but that was about 25 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Mine predate the Pittsburgh branding, I guess they are fine.

westair

Reaction score
thanks ..... mine are on the recall list also

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you bought harbor freight jack stands at any given point, you probably deserve to have a car dropped on your head.

And yes, I own one set of 12 Ton jack stands....I use them only for the height and I've thrown the cast cradles in the garbage and welded sections of square tube to them to make fixed height 30" tall stands. I accept all responsibility, even though I use them under a 4000lb rig and they'll hold up a tank.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Once I bought a really fast motorcycle and then bought the cheapest helmet I could find. I started to think about it and realized how fucking dumb that logic was. Kinda the same deal with harbor freight jack stands, safety equipment etc.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have 6pr of 6 ton stands, and 4pr of 3 ton. Not all Harbor Freight, but sure as hell not all American. I looked, and the most recent set purchased(no overspray or weld splatter) are on that list.

...not all of us are "tool snobs" 😉

gqchris

Reaction score
The question is who DOESNT own a set?! Lol

I can say with all certainty that even before I learned this recall news, no way in hell would I ever lay under those things. Lol

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Had the excursion on a pair of horrible freight 12 tons and still creeped me out. Never ventured under the truck. Purchased them in my younger days. Is there a reasonably priced alternative to supporting the chicom trash?

buck35

Reaction score
If you are crawling under a rig with only jack stands for support, no matter what brand or manufacturer origin, you may want to rethink your position in life!! Just sayin!!
If not jackstands, then what? A kid I went to highschool with a guy who was slowly crushed to death under a hydraulic jack. It's been stands and blocks for me ever since...

Nordie

Reaction score
I was taught at a very young age that when I buy my first jack stands to make sure it has a pin and not to just rely on the cast iron. I have no idea why, but that stuck with me forever.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Chocked, flat surface, properly rated and placed Jack stands. Many have a 2nd form or support in event of failure such as tires under the rockers.

Really cant do better than that without a lift, and I'm not even fan of a 2 post.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
If not jackstands, then what? A kid I went to highschool with was slowly crushed to death under a hydraulic jack. It's been stands and blocks for me ever since...

You answered your own question when you said "blocks"!

I have had 3k lb. Jack stands fail and drop under a 7-800lb 4 wheeler.. I have watched jack stands drop on the rear of a SxS with no body around.. I'm a firm believer in blocks under the frame if the intent is to be under the rig! Now rotating tires or doing a brake job or something that doesn't require being underneath. Sure jack stands are more than sufficient.. jmo

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I was taught at a very young age that when I buy my first jack stands to make sure it has a pin and not to just rely on the cast iron. I have no idea why, but that stuck with me forever.

If you are using jack stands with pins, different story, and I completely agree. But few and far between do you see then with pins anymore.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I also got the notice today and found 4 recalled stands I was about ready to toss, because all the jeeps are now running and don't need them anymore. I'm taking them back in the morning.

C-2

Reaction score
Mine are okay, whew!

Thanks for sharing!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I suppose I'm good on these. American company in Ontario but Chinese made🤪
20200519_222802.jpg

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Just last week I bought a drop hitch and new ball from HF. Hope my rig doesn’t go down the next lane on I40 next time.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thinking about my jackstand safety. It is very rare I have a heavy vehicle on 4 corner stand. By heavy, say crew cab dually. Usually the 6k stands are used for getting early ford frames and cars 18-20" off the deck. 4 6k rated stands under a 3k vehicle has served me well for quite a while. If working on "heavies", like diesel pushers and semis, usually stacked railroad ties cut for cribbing...they still scare the hell out of me, and I am never under them when wheels are pulled. What gets to be hard though, is holding up frames on bigger lifted stuff when pulling axles, or setting them up. I use pipe stands, pipeline welder deals now. I'd like to get my hands on some aircraft stands, they're pretty tall, and have pins.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
My GrandFather owned a construction company so when my Dad needed “stands” what he got were 4 blocks from a beam. 18” tall x 6” wide 24” long. Dad even made a cradle for them to widen there footing.
I asked him where they were about a year ago but he passed them along to someone restoring another ModelA over 10 years ago.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Buddy of mine in a mustang group was under his car with a set of these. Junk tube style jack stands. It broke and pinned him under the car. Multiple broken ribs etc. he was super lucky that he placed a tire under the car but even then he got severely injured.

7CE072A5-3C59-439D-BA26-A74D0F1A9E7D.jpeg

I have a set of jack stands I bought at a garage sale. They’re old and solid. I don’t know the weight rating on them but you could probably hold a house up with them. No way in hell would I trust harbor freight for a jack stand. I buy some things there but I always expect it to break

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Was just under my truck last weekend using the 6k harbor freight jack stands. Glad I left floor jack under the pumpkin just Incase.

sonicss31

Reaction score
Once I bought a really fast motorcycle and then bought the cheapest helmet I could find. I started to think about it and realized how fucking dumb that logic was. Kinda the same deal with harbor freight jack stands, safety equipment etc.

Long time ago I was taught “ If you have a $10 head you buy a $10 helmet”. That was when a top of the line Bell helmet cost about $130. Man am I old. 😅

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
8 years ago when i was a more stupid and cheap kid i bought some of these and had them collapse under my old run about boat. luckily the drive was up and it was in a dirt lot so no damage done .

Embarrassed to even admit that

707dog

Reaction score
Was just under my truck last weekend using the 6k harbor freight jack stands. Glad I left floor jack under the pumpkin just Incase.
same for me yesterday doing the trans service on the suv using the stands i still keep the floor jack with pressure on the pumpkin.
OP- thanks for the info i'll be checking my stands tonight on my 6K's.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Buddy of mine in a mustang group was under his car with a set of these. Junk tube style jack stands. It broke and pinned him under the car. Multiple broken ribs etc. he was super lucky that he placed a tire under the car but even then he got severely injured.

View attachment 878437

I have a set of jack stands I bought at a garage sale. They’re old and solid. I don’t know the weight rating on them but you could probably hold a house up with them. No way in hell would I trust harbor freight for a jack stand. I buy some things there but I always expect it to break

God, that brings me back to my youth and stupidity. The first set of jack stands were just like this. The only good thing is our auto shop instructor in high school Taught us about safety. Would always place a tire under car and keep the jack under as well.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score

View attachment 878437

Shit , I have a pair of both types plus a big heavy duty type that uses a pin. I always leave the jack and push the tire and rim under. But I may have to rethink. All my jack stands are at least 35 years old. Always thought the jack stands were the way to go.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If you bought harbor freight jack stands at any given point, you probably deserve to have a car dropped on your head.

And yes, I own one set of 12 Ton jack stands....I use them only for the height and I've thrown the cast cradles in the garbage and welded sections of square tube to them to make fixed height 30" tall stands. I accept all responsibility, even though I use them under a 4000lb rig and they'll hold up a tank.
Ok lets see your welds........ :D

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What do the jack stand snobs think of these?
3C436D08-7EAE-4D20-A82D-5972357411A1.png

D19

Reaction score
I just checked and mine are on the list. Thanks

DFE13632-858B-4BA8-A8FD-EEB164D34CC3.jpeg

Sandlord

Reaction score
well, I've got a pair of the 6 ton jacks that I haven't used yet. Guess I'll be going to HF today.

CobraDave

Reaction score
So what’s the alternative. I’ve got the recalled ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dbroncos

Reaction score
Two out of the 4 I own are on the list. Thanks for the post..

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Dam! I just checked I have the 3 ton but they are not on the recall list. I just blindly trusted it, I still always left the jack in place and a tire under but still could be horrible. Feel like an idiot for trusting that.

So whats a solid brand that can be trusted? Going to upgrade imdiailty ASAP.