WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WOW! "Why California is in trouble" (not bashing your state - just reporting)

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Why California Is In Trouble – 340,000 Public Employees With $100,000+ Paychecks Cost Taxpayers $45 Billion
California has a $1 trillion unfunded pension liability.

Despite California’s $54 billion budget deficit and $1 trillion unfunded pension liability, there are 340,390 government employees bringing home six-figure salary and pension checks.
Recently, though, Gov. Gavin Newsom asked U.S. taxpayers for a bailout.

The governor wrote a letter to Congress requesting a $1 trillion in coronavirus 50-state aid. Then, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi obliged by adding $500 billion for the states into the HEROES Act – the bill passed and now awaits action in the Senate.

Here, in part, is why California is asking for taxpayers help.

Our auditors at OpentheBooks.com found truck drivers in San Francisco making $159,000 per year; lifeguards in LA County costing taxpayers $365,000; nurses at UCSF making up to $501,000; the UCLA athletic director earning $1.8 million; and 1,420 city employees out-earning all 50 state governors ($202,000).

Using our new interactive mapping tool, quickly review (by ZIP code) the 340,390 California public employees and retirees who earn more than $100,000 and cost taxpayers $45 billion (FY2018-9). Just click a pin and scroll down to see the results rendered in the chart beneath the map.
Here are a few examples of what you’ll uncover:

• 109,627 teachers and school administrators – including the CEO of Summit Everest charter schools Diane Tavenner ($450,115); and superintendents Michael Lin ($443,875) at Corona-Norco Unified; Polly Bove ($395,257) at Fremont Union High; Christopher Hoffman ($351,885) at Elk Grove Unified; and Al Mijares ($348,276) at the Orange County Dept. of Education.
  • 66,403 college and university employees – including the athletic director at UCLA, Daniel Guerrero ($1.8 million), who is retiring amid criticisms that his teams lost too frequently. The school’s football coach, Charles (Chip) Kelly ($3.3 million), compiled a 7-17 record during his first two years and is the most highly compensated public employee in the state. Furthermore, there are 11,310 college and university employees making more than $200,000.
  • 62,204 State of California employees – including a nurse, Ito Chikako, at the University of California, who made $501,391 – paid through the state system. David Winsor Sirkin, Sr. Psychiatrist at Correctional & Rehabilitative Services, made $409,399. Corrections paid two dentists $385,596 last year. The chief regulator at barbering & cosmetology made $124,296.
  • 45,718 city and town employees – including 1,420 municipal administrators and employees who out-earned the California governor – the highest paid state governor ($202,000). Highly compensated city managers included Deanna Santana (Santa Clara – $396,158); Paul Arevalo (West Hollywood — $353,603); Fredrick Cole (Santa Monica – $342,780); David Ready (Palm Springs – $340,149); Edward Shikada (Palo Alto – $329,080); and Scott Ochoa (Ontario – $328,500).
Reaching out to all governments mentioned, Santa Clara responded saying that their city is complex and they compete for talent in Silicon Valley. Palm Springs responded by saying the city manager is cutting his pay by 20-percent to $288,579.

In 2017, we found that 44 lifeguards in Los Angeles County cost taxpayers between $200,000 and $365,000. Today, it’s worse with salaries comprising only about half the total cost when including overtime, extra pay and benefits.

In total, $45 billion in cash compensation flows to local and state government workers across California earning six figures. Our auditors did not include the cost of benefits.
We also haven’t included the payroll costs of at least 28,000 federal employees making $100,000+ within the executive agencies based in California.

Corruption In San Francisco
San Francisco’s self-titled “Mr. Clean,” Mohammed Nuru, Public Works Director, is best known for failed efforts to keep feces and hypodermic needles out of the public way. Cases of human waste on city streets spiked to 31,000 in 2019 – an all-time high.

Nuru earned a $269,500 annual salary in 2018 (up $55,000 over a seven-year period). Allegedly, that wasn’t enough. In February, Nuru was arrested for charges that included bribery.
Only in San Francisco can team members on the “poop patrol” cost taxpayers up to $184,000 each.

whole article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...hecks-cost-taxpayers-45-billion/#27af18da5fb8

Dirtbag

Reaction score
teachers and administers of schools are grossly underpaid.....these people are responsible for educating our youth and building leaders of tomorrow....the compensation is terrible which is why we dont have the best and brightest becoming teachers!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
And to think.
After Trump was elected the Cali libs wanted a Cal-exit....
supppose they had got it.
Who would they be crying to for their bailout?
California Taxpayers. That’s who.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Guess where all the new taxes end up ? Bingo ! The general fund . Out it goes for pensions and salaries .

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Wow, quite a salary for san bernadino of all places. City is a bankrupt ghetto with nada for police and fire even.

LAPII

Reaction score
Let's be real, that's not why, try millions to homelessness, and a group of individuals who are getting services "Illegally" because it feels good, and they have children born here that have been educated on those services. Now those educated children have taken over Sacramento. Just saying.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Wow, quite a salary for san bernadino of all places. City is a bankrupt ghetto with nada for police and fire even.

It is called GREED, from the higher ups and ignorance of the general public.
Pure and simple. :(

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Let's be real, that's not why, try millions to homelessness, and a group of individuals who are getting services "Illegally" because it feels good, and they have children born here that have been educated on those services. Now those educated children have taken over Sacramento. Just saying.

You're right and wrong. Right about the money going to homeless and illegals directly and indirectly (hospital care, police, fire, etc., etc.) but there's no sugar-coating this:

340,000 Public Employees With $100,000+ Paychecks Cost Taxpayers $45 Billion

Last edited:

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
according to ole Willie Brown , remember him , Kamala Harris boyfriend ? Well , he stated $.80 of every tax dollar collected , goes back out in pensions and salaries !

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I don't think any job that is paid with taxes from people who produce and work for a living should make those wages. When we were young we decided what path we would take, if people chose teaching, fireman, or any civil service job, they knew these were not Wall Street jobs and would not pay the same. Those jobs were chosen for the benefits, security, and retirement and did not carry the same risks as opening a business or jobs where the money is big but job security low. Those jobs would still be in huge demand because of the benefits, no reason to pay the same as the private sector. Public Employees Unions took advantage of weak city managers and now you have pay that connote be sustained with out running a deficit or getting a bailout, IMO.

EBT531

Reaction score
Funny they wrote the exact same thing about other States recently. Keep in mind CA has 3x's the population of IL so the numbers are actually very consistent between the two

2020-05-20 12_42_40-Inbox - etiedje@redflex.com - Outlook.png

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
It is called GREED, from the higher ups and ignorance of the general public.
Pure and simple. :(

Agreed, they voluntarily became public servants yet receive higher than private sector salaries.

Like any gov sector, there exists MASSIVE amounts of waste in education, that comes at cost of students. Always change for the sake of change. Rollout expensive new unproven initiatives, just to spend money from certain funds before its expiration...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Now maybe it's clear to libtards why Pelosi's 3T "Heroes Act" bill will give California more than 3X what Newscum wants - it'll give California around $45B

It's because Pelosi knows who votes for her - ALL the overpaid, over-pensioned government employees and they will benefit from the Federal money (as well as millions more to the corrupt Democrats like Pelosi, Feinstein, etc., etc., etc.)

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Funny they wrote the exact same thing about other States recently. Keep in mind CA has 3x's the population of IL so the numbers are actually very consistent between the two

View attachment 878651

Sure they're consistent. So are rapists and child molesters.

California and Illinois are 2 of the most fucked up states in the USA. Very consistently led down the liberal rabbit hole by Libtard, corrupt politicians. A LONG HISTORY OF IT

EmpirE231

Reaction score
This is tax payer fraud to the fullest. The takers can't see it though....

Public "servants" lol....more like public "fleecers"

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Looking at those numbers, and job titles...really! Tax payers spend more for dental care on prisoners than most smaller town police or fire chiefs?! WTF?

As for teacher and administrative salaries, just like all jobs, some are grossly overpaid, and others underpaid. Problem with making it fair is determining who decides. Whole can of worms...

EmpirE231

Reaction score
My sister and SIL are both teachers.... I'd tell them just like anyone else.... if you are not happy with the pay, you shouldn't have became a teacher. The salaries are public info..... you can find out before you spend about 4-5yrs of your life going to college to be a teacher.

and BTW teachers in CA do not have it that bad. Start around 50K per year with amazing benefits, and can easily work your way to 80-100K per year for a public school teacher....... I would say that is far from inadequate pay. Not to mention the amazing health care benefits they get (if I wanted the same health plan they are on, on the private market it is 2k per month for my family of 4). granted their pensions aren't as sweet as cops and firefighters.... but NOBODY'S tax payer funded pension should be anywhere near 90%!!

CA has a LOT to fix!! homeless, illegals, welfare etc, but please don't act like public employee contracts are not one of them......

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
teachers and administers of schools are grossly underpaid.....these people are responsible for educating our youth and building leaders of tomorrow....the compensation is terrible which is why we dont have the best and brightest becoming teachers!
Even teaching must follow the bell curve of life. High pay for the good ones, average pay for the average ones and less pay for the worst ones.

I’d say they are paid quite handsomely for 9 months of work. But I only have three kids in the system, so what do I know.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score

Of course the teachers are 100% responsible. The parents and the students have nothing to do with it. PLEASE!!!!! If the kids don’t learn it’s all the teachers fault. RIGHT!!!!

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
This thread is not to bash teachers or any public employees, it is about states grossly overpaying employees.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score

True. There are also some government employees that are overpaid in my opinion. In the Southern California area Bean wads are a major problem.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
And don’t forget the pensions. As one 130k person retires, they become a 100k person. For life. Sometimes living more years in retirement, than they worked. But that’s what you get when govt employee unions create democrat slush funds for campaigns and then bargain with them for contracts. Totally legit. 🤮

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, they voluntarily became public servants yet receive higher than private sector salaries.

Like any gov sector, there exists MASSIVE amounts of waste in education, that comes at cost of students. Always change for the sake of change. Rollout expensive new unproven initiatives, just to spend money from certain funds before its expiration...

You are correct, The government waste is ridiculous. Over the years I’ve been on many jobs that have state or federal funding. When I ask why are we doing this project it doesn’t really seem necessary, the response is always if we don’t spend the money this year our budget for next year will be reduced.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
My sister and SIL are both teachers.... I'd tell them just like anyone else.... if you are not happy with the pay, you shouldn't have became a teacher. The salaries are public info..... you can find out before you spend about 4-5yrs of your life going to college to be a teacher.

and BTW teachers in CA do not have it that bad. Start around 50K per year with amazing benefits, and can easily work your way to 80-100K per year for a public school teacher....... I would say that is far from inadequate pay. Not to mention the amazing health care benefits they get (if I wanted the same health plan they are on, on the private market it is 2k per month for my family of 4). granted their pensions aren't as sweet as cops and firefighters.... but NOBODY'S tax payer funded pension should be anywhere near 90%!!

CA has a LOT to fix!! homeless, illegals, welfare etc, but please don't act like public employee contracts are not one of them......

No argument from me on that one.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Let me start to get some answers on the CURE. I AM a liberal in the true sense of the word. I would liberally dispense the DEATH PENALTY, and see how fast that cures a lot of the greed and corruption !!!!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Of course the teachers are 100% responsible. The parents and the students have nothing to do with it. PLEASE!!!!! If the kids don’t learn it’s all the teachers fault. RIGHT!!!!
then homeschool your kids?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Even teaching must follow the bell curve of life. High pay for the good ones, average pay for the average ones and less pay for the worst ones.

I’d say they are paid quite handsomely for 9 months of work. But I only have three kids in the system, so what do I know.

I agree with your first sstatement 100%...dont mosst people get 8-12 weeks off a year vacation time? teachers that have been doing it 20+ years get paid handsomely no doubt.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
The CTA is the most vile bunch of overpaid slobs in the country.

The children, the children........................... 🤣