WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Az boat purchase avoiding red flags with cash deal?

Turnup

Reaction score
I want to purchase a boat that's in Az in duffle bag style, its private party so I understand no sales tax but any reporting concerns I should think about? Has anyone done a green deal and registered it under an LLC or corp name? I'm thinking of buying there and leaving there not take it into Ca..can I register it there and leave at a house, stay under the radar, and not have any flags bite me in the end..rear end?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've done it twice. Once in NV, and once in AZ. No issues if left it out of state for me. With that noted, they literally cruise streets looking for boats in CA. I know this for a fact as I once received a CA property tax bill at my BIL's address which is where I stored it. No other way that could've happened unless they physically saw it there.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've done it twice. Once in NV, and once in AZ. No issues if left it out of state for me. With that noted, they literally cruise streets looking for boats in CA. I know this for a fact as I once received a CA property tax bill at my BIL's address which is where I stored it. No other way that could've happened unless they physically saw it there.
Unless it was questionable stored (in someone's eyes) and a neighbor reported it to the municipality and thats how it got into the system.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Unless it was questionable stored (in someone's eyes) and a neighbor reported it to the municipality and thats how it got into the system.
That's possible, but it wasn't a great neighborhood anyway. Visible from the sidewalk and on his side yard. There was never any other correspondence other than the tax bill with his address on it.

C-2

Reaction score
QC22 is probably right, I know COUNTY tax agents walk the slips at the marinas.

Reactions: DWC

C-2

Reaction score
Turnup = what are your concerns? Generally, it's easier to insure a boat than it is to maintain an LLC/Inc to reduce liability.

Turnup

Reaction score
Not concerned with prop tax bill's, more concerned with grab bag of cash popping up on a radar of some internal bean counters or the like you know..boat isnt stolen..dont need uncle Sam nosing around I guess is what I'm gettin at.

DWC

Reaction score
Check out California’s rules on keeping it out of the state. They’ve changed a bit over the years. We got the same deal. They sent me a tax bill a year later. I was able to show a storage contract and a couple signed documents and avoided having to pay. Nervous few months for sure.

530RL

Reaction score
Not concerned with prop tax bill's, more concerned with grab bag of cash popping up on a radar of some internal bean counters or the like you know..boat isnt stolen..dont need uncle Sam nosing around I guess is what I'm gettin at.

Turnup

Reaction score
You guys collecting cash on your toys reporting that cash or stickin it in the ground? Or depositing in dribs n drabs?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
You guys collecting cash on your toys reporting that cash or stickin it in the ground? Or depositing in dribs n drabs?
What Cash? I'm broke. Just look at my bank account and tax returns Mr Government official.
Lol

DLC

Reaction score
I keep mine in mason jars dug out in the back yard!

my wife keeps asking why I took up gardening all of a sudden...

lol

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Only the bank will read you the riot act when you try to get your money in and out.... After that there isn't anything to worry about. I have counted out stacks on a tailgate more than once to buy boats in cash in AZ without issue.

Turnup

Reaction score
Ya I have never filed that form on cash deals, I don't expect anyone else to happy to it..

Taboma

Reaction score
Ya I have never filed that form on cash deals, I don't expect anyone else to happy to it..

I never have, but then it's more than likely simply because I never sell anything, but oh I sure do love buyin shit 😍

But I did learn something reading this thread, I had no idea as an example, if I sold my RV and received funds in any form other than a wire transfer, I was supposed to file a form 8300.
I'm not sure if I should thank @530RL, or curse him under the rule of Ignorance is Bliss. 🤔

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Only the bank will read you the riot act when you try to get your money in and out.... After that there isn't anything to worry about. I have counted out stacks on a tailgate more than once to buy boats in cash in AZ without issue.

Shouldn't be a problem if he sells 1 boat a year. Teller is going to ask. "I sold my boat" should suffice. Selling 36 "boats" a year, serious questions will be asked.

Dan'l

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
My friend says dribs and drabs at multiple establishments over time.