WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Very cool Caterham Lotus 7' 188HP Nissan turbo power

spectras only

Reaction score
Using a Nissan 1.8L turbo engine with 188HP on tap moves it pretty good. Told the owner, we need to remove that temporary hack job gutter piece from the front of the engine. Rest of the engine and components are great.

20200520_095947.jpg
20200520_093523.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Only 188 HP from 1.8L ? Guess it's built to run long time- no shit 😁 . Toss in a 1.5L stock supercharged Kawasaki 310R jetski engine an get over 300 HP.

spectras only

Reaction score
Well, car weighs 1250 lbs, so 188HP Nissan is a lot more HP than the Cortina or even a Cosworth engine ever was in the Lotus Super 7 originals. 😜 The F3 cars have 2.0 Honda turbo engines with 380HP! Presently they beat anything so far on our track, including the Radicals with Hayabusa engines. The F3 cars are capable of 1:50 sec, albeit at the price tag of 500K, not 35K like this Caterham.
To run production cars in GTU class, upper HP limit is set at 250HP on skinny tires with no more than 245's and weight limit set on top.
We're in the process finishing my son's Honda S2000 [ 240 HP ] for the GTU class.

Last edited:

rcmike

Reaction score
CA18 is a mid 1980s design. At 200hp or less, they are pretty much bulletproof, except for the timing belt.. They are pretty much a 4 cylinder version of the RB engines in the Skylines. If I was building a performance car, I would use the SR20 motor, the timing chain eliminates the weak point, and they LOVE to rev. But a CA at 188 is going to deliver a lot of fun for a LONG time, as long as the tuner knew what they were doing..

Taboma

Reaction score
Well, car weighs 1250 lbs, so 188HP Nissan is a lot more HP than the Cortina or even a Cosworth engine ever was in the Lotus Super 7 originals. 😜 The F3 cars have 2.0 Honda turbo engines with 380HP! Presently they beat anything so far on our track, including the Radicals with Hayabusa engines. The F3 cars are capable of 1:50 sec, albeit at the price tag of 500K, not 35K like this Caterham.
To run production cars in GTU class, upper HP limit is set at 250HP on skinny tires with no more than 245's and weight limit set on top.
We're in the process finishing my son's Honda S2000 [ 240 HP ] for the GTU class.

Wonder why somebody hasn't lowered the suspension and stuck some track compound wide tires on a 2 seater Can Am Turbo and tracked it --- or have they ?
I'm sure that Caterham will be a lot of fun 👍 I didn't know you guys were stickin with class rules, I thought you were just out runnin-whatya- brung.

spectras only

Reaction score
There is a lot of Bimmers in the GTU class here and they have a 2800lbs rule. Also, we have Continental Tire sponsorship and must use Conti tires. Not the best choice , but the tires are cheap and plenty.:D My fave tire is the Nankang AR1 and rather have that without discount perks.😜 For lapping you run what you brung, that's me. Eventually, my son and I could end up with a Radical SR3 two seater for more fun taking friends for rides. We have at least a dozen racers in that class.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
There is a lot of Bimmers in the GTU class here and they have a 2800lbs rule. Also, we have Continental Tire sponsorship and must use Conti tires. Not the best choice , but the tires are cheap and plenty.:D My fave tire is the Nankang AR1 and rather have that without discount perks.😜 For lapping you run what you brung, that's me. Eventually, my son and I could end up with a Radical SR3 two seater for more fun taking friends for rides. We have at least a dozen racers in that class.

That SR3 with the 1500 Hayabusa looks like a one hell of a good time. Although playing passenger could be a real white knuckle experience. :oops:

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Bet this thing is a blast!

I can 2nd the CA18DE-T because it’s a badass little engine. Iron block with an aluminum head and a surprisingly long stroke for a Japanese four cylinder. Had the non-turbo version in my Nissan 200sx in high school. My brother and I turbocharged it with a GT28R bolted this really basic log manifold haha.

spectras only

Reaction score
That SR3 with the 1500 Hayabusa looks like a one hell of a good time. Although playing passenger could be a real white knuckle experience. :oops:
Whenever we take some guest passenger out on the track, the pit marshal always ask if the passenger was on the track before? Friend with in hisRadical is pretty fast [ 2:01 best time so far ] and few people barfed in those :eek: :D

Taboma

Reaction score
Whenever we take some guest passenger out on the track, the pit marshal always ask if the passenger was on the track before? Friend with in hisRadical is pretty fast [ 2:01 best time so far ] and few people barfed in those :eek: :D

By chance to you have a video with your friends Radical wound out, bet it screams ?

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
1,250 lb Caterham? Did they fill the tires with water?

Drove a rotary powered 7 (kit) on the streets that was ust over 1100lbs. closest thing to riding a sport bike I have come across yet. That adding lightness thing is pretty awesome!

spectras only

Reaction score
Lotus Super 7's without turbo added like this Caterham, usually around 1100 lbs full fuel and liquids on the scales.This Caterham has larger wheels and tires as well, so it all adds up.

spectras only

Reaction score
By chance to you have a video with your friends Radical wound out, bet it screams ?
next members day is 26th. If he's out there I'll take a video. He runs his ACR Viper as well as I do my Viper GTS occasionally. If I do forced induction, I'll go with roots supercharger for my Miata. I checked out the Kraftwerks Rotex S/C system, it would put about 200-220 HP to the wheels. There's a Radical SR8 for sale in Vancouver for decent price, but those need more frequent teardown , compared to the m/c engined ones. My friends with the Formula BMW's have as much fun for a lot less money [ about 25k cdn ] and cheap engines from wreck yard if needed. ;) a good Formula BMW driver time is in the 2: 10- 2:14 range compared to the Radicals in the 2:00 range. track is 3 miles long with 16 turns an 300 feet of elevation changes. We have 12 Camaros, three of them ZL1's for training purpose at Area27 Academy.
Mitch and Andrew are testing the F3 Formula cars at the track, checking out setups etc.... They run about 1:55 average and as low as 1:50. Honda engines with 300plus HP. Makes Porsches look like standing still,lol. They run through 5K worth of tires in a short day testing. That's more than my little car worth.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Check this video of Radicals at Area 27. Our friend Colin who sadly passed away last year, is the one with onboard camera. Watch at 0:44 when three of them run out of room to negotiate turn 3,lol No cars were hurt in this scenario. :D

Last edited: