iron worker death at SoFi stadium

Demoman

Reaction score
RIP

Hate to see a blue collar brother lost

HBCraig

Reaction score
yes

He fell a few feet away from a buddy of mine.

Iron worker.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Aecom hunt job. Im at another aecom hunt job.

Safety is NOT a priority

buck35

Reaction score
Aecom hunt job. Im at another aecom hunt job.

Safety is NOT a priority
It was always drilled in that it's the only priority if you want to go home after the shift.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
That job has had a few incidents, most recently a crane collapsed about 2 months ago, but nobody was injured. We have a lot of guys in that job. Horrible to hear - RIP 433

rickym20

Reaction score
From what I am gathering is he was an Ironworker from Texas area in his 30’s working on the stadium. Company he was working for was installing the fiber tech roofing system and They utilize a composite crew so had some ironworkers working for them. I won’t say what happen because it was all second hand information so I don’t know if any truth to it. The story will come out soon enough.
Like most of you have said , just tough going to work and not making it home.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
RIP

If my guys were caught not using their PPE. 1st offense day off no pay, 2nd week off no pay. 3rd Fired. Job site foreman would get punished as well depending on circumstances. Everyone used it after I put that policy in place.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We lost a carpenter apprentice a week ago due to a fall. He was tied off but working the leading edge. There are leading edge nanos but he wasn’t wearing one. The nylon tore and the fall protection failed. I have apprentices working on the stadium. Job was shut down and osha there immediately. Im not sure he was tied off unfortunately.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
back in the day 42-L lathers 1506 board 433 iron Great job back in the day

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
back in the day 42-L lathers 1506 board 433 iron Great job back in the day
Lathers Union is now gone, part of the carpenters. 1506 was dissolved a few years ago. I’m a 1506 OG now delegate out of 909. 433 still iron workers.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Very sad. Osha confirmed 110ft fall. RIP.

This job has had 3 crane collapses

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
It's a Turner AECOM Hunt job and safety is a priority at this job. I'm tiling this project.

RIP [emoji17]

Im just speaking from my expierence with them at my current project. Not a good experience here.

rivergames

Reaction score
Im just speaking from my expierence with them at my current project. Not a good experience here.
Each job has a different safety director running the show. You and your guys stay safe buddy [emoji106]

rickym20

Reaction score
We lost a carpenter apprentice a week ago due to a fall. He was tied off but working the leading edge. There are leading edge nanos but he wasn’t wearing one. The nylon tore and the fall protection failed. I have apprentices working on the stadium. Job was shut down and osha there immediately. Im not sure he was tied off unfortunately.

That is a shitty deal (RIP)when the guys are doing what they are supposed to by tying off and it fails cause it wasn’t made for that type of situation. We lost a great Ironworker(RIP) in Bakersfield last year on a similar situation.
Fall protection is evolving and it’s a job in itself to keep up with the latest equipment and knowing what that equipment is good for and for what it is not good for.lots of variables with Jobsite conditions.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
So sad. That poor family.

Sad when these accidents happen and there is no safety gear. Even more so when there is and it fails. Had a few clients survive falls. They are never the same, but they got to go home.

May you all stay safe and go home to your families.

Nordie

Reaction score

Nano just had a recall about 6 months ago on their leading edge retractables. Still sucks to lose a brother, I'm 416, but we go through the same apprenticeship.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Each job has a different safety director running the show. You and your guys stay safe buddy [emoji106]
You stay safe too. My job sites on its 3rd safety director and i believe 4th project executive. 😐

HBCraig

Reaction score
Was this in Pasadena by chance?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I was a carpenter in Mammoth Lakes in the early 70s we built a lot of the condos that are up there...Safety equipment???... there was no such thing... Kid that worked for me dropped a frozen 20 foot long 2 x 6 ...20 feet ...struck me on the top of my spine... so that was my first broken neck...
...Safety rquiptment???..,Nahh...who needs safety equipment???...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had to learn the difference between fall protection, and fall prevention. Being in roofing, and the son of a roofer as well, you tried to stay on point. When I was learning, there were no harnesses. Now, you need them for residential. In some ways, I feel they build a false sense of security, and people seem to rely on them instead of their own sense. Unfortunately, it is the nature of the beast. The money is good, but it's not for an easy job...it's also what I always figured was hazard pay. Osha does an annual list of the top most dangerous jobs, both injury and fatality. It's a sobering list to read when you're in the trades...we're all in there, crash test dummies seem safer. You try to be safe, and the precautions are made, but even with those, things can go horribly wrong.
Yet in the news we may not hear about this gentleman...and that makes me sad.

RIP sir.

Joker

Reaction score
I’m a non union shop but i take with me all the safety advice given on union projects. Up until 6 years ago I’d never done JHAs on a daily basis. In fact i never did them. There’s no safer place than a union job site. Something went awry here.

rrrr

Reaction score
Been over 30 years since a 18 YO kid was killed on a Brown & Root job where I was the MEP QC inspector. He was sweeping a third floor slab, and picked up an unfastened piece of plywood that was covering a hole. He landed not far from where I was standing.

That incident brings back the bad memories every time I hear of a jobsite fatality, and lots of sadness for the family of this victim.

May he rest easy.

Last edited: