WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fill Dirt - Havasu

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Looking for some information. My property backs up to a wash and want some fill dirt to expand my property line.

*With all the construction going on in Havasu, are excavation/construction companies looking to get rid of the dirt for free?​
*Any recommendatons on who to start calling first?​
*What's the going rate on a truck?​

I'm located on the Northside by Havasu High School.

Many thanks in advance.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Looking for some information. My property backs up to a wash and want some fill dirt to expand my property line.

*With all the construction going on in Havasu, are excavation/construction companies looking to get rid of the dirt for free?​
*Any recommendatons on who to start calling first?​
*What's the going rate on a truck?​

I'm located on the Northside by Havasu High School.

Many thanks in advance.
Pool company

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
They all want a premium for the dirt once you want it. At least that’s my experience for years here.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Call a pool company, any of the bigger ones out there are digging new pools every day.
If free they are only going to dump, not grade or compact. Meaning you’ll be needing to do a lot of work to “use” your free soil.
Are you building retaining walls on hillside to enlarge lot? Or just thinking you can dump dirt into wash and make lot larger?

Reaction score
Call a pool company, any of the bigger ones out there are digging new pools every day.
If free they are only going to dump, not grade or compact. Meaning you’ll be needing to do a lot of work to “use” your free soil.
Are you building retaining walls on hillside to enlarge lot? Or just thinking you can dump dirt into wash and make lot larger?

This "project" started off several years ago as a small backyard remodel, simple pool with retaining wall. It eventually snowballed into extending lot (already surveyed) to maximize all possible space. Throw in the RV garage because it makes total sense to do everything in one shot. With all that's going on, I need to escape California, sooner than later and want to get this started.

The dirt is step one, as I need to save a couple of bucks. I'm going to need more than 10+ trucks, once filled, it will have to be compacted, graded and all that good stuff as the garage will be sitting on the extended space.

Picture below done via MS Paint to give you an idea (NOT TO SCALE) Pool in blue - Garage in Green, as this is going to cost the mo$t.

LHC BACKYARD.png

Appreciate everyones feedback. Thank you!

arch stanton

Reaction score
I cannot speak to Havasu specifically but free dirt will have trash, roots, asphalt and other crap nobody wants that is how it usually works in San Diego, The grader spends more time and money than if you paid a little to a reputable trucker, If you are getting free dirt make sure you are there to inspect the dirt. I don't know any trucker out that way but the graders and builders you are getting bids from should have somebody they recommend.
Dirt from pool digs may be a good source out there but in San Diego the loads from the top 2 feet are full of roots and grass and the PVC pipe from the irrigation system.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Just built a home in Cave Creek and need lots and lots of dirt for our pad, it was $100 a truck load (21 tons)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildWilly

Reaction score
my friends recently put it out that they needed fill, within 2 weeks they had 7 dumps worth unloaded. As people said...pools are being dug almost daily so its not hard to get it

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
This "project" started off several years ago as a small backyard remodel, simple pool with retaining wall. It eventually snowballed into extending lot (already surveyed) to maximize all possible space. Throw in the RV garage because it makes total sense to do everything in one shot. With all that's going on, I need to escape California, sooner than later and want to get this started.

The dirt is step one, as I need to save a couple of bucks. I'm going to need more than 10+ trucks, once filled, it will have to be compacted, graded and all that good stuff as the garage will be sitting on the extended space.

Picture below done via MS Paint to give you an idea (NOT TO SCALE) Pool in blue - Garage in Green, as this is going to cost the mo$t.

View attachment 900870

Appreciate everyones feedback. Thank you!
Well if dumping in location you will need similar soils, luckily most of Havasu is similar. And you will need to compact every 2 ft. Not dump dump dump then compact, doesn’t work like that especially if building on top. To build correct, you will need to over excavate native soils under pool and garage. Then recompact at same time as added fill dirt. So floor is on all fill or all native. You can’t build on part native and part fill. Recipe for certain structure failure.
Plus looks like you’ll need retaining wall on garage side property line. Unless your grading permit approved you to fill your neighbors property also?
Looks like a fun project, but free dirt is the least of your worries. 10 trucks is likely 2 pools worth of soils in Havasu.

Reaction score
Well if dumping in location you will need similar soils, luckily most of Havasu is similar. And you will need to compact every 2 ft. Not dump dump dump then compact, doesn’t work like that especially if building on top. To build correct, you will need to over excavate native soils under pool and garage. Then recompact at same time as added fill dirt. So floor is on all fill or all native. You can’t build on part native and part fill. Recipe for certain structure failure.
Plus looks like you’ll need retaining wall on garage side property line. Unless your grading permit approved you to fill your neighbors property also?
Looks like a fun project, but free dirt is the least of your worries. 10 trucks is likely 2 pools worth of soils in Havasu.

Makes complete sense, to have hire someone to grade as the trucks come in and out, which would probably cost more in the long run.
You are correct on needing a retaining wall on the garage side to provide a structure/base. Goes in line with what the contractor I spoke to awhile back.

I owe you a couple of beers. Appreciate your feedback, you do amazing work.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I was just gonna post this,... well almost.....first off... it's havasu..the first thing that has to happen is the toe po... then perk test and grade permit... every layer must be inspected..next,... you have to get the retain'g wall engineered...or you have to do some crazy footings and pool walls,..you can get a big pile stock piled... but it will be in the way...campbell does it...tony will give a bid... but you need to get the wall up first or pay twice for grading