WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Have You Ever Accidentally Stolen a Car?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
This is an old story but for some reason I was thinking about it today and was thinking how random and crazy this was.

One of my friends/customers when I worked for Harley Davidson around 2006 or so had a really nice 1992 VW GTI. It was black, lowered, and had a really nice set of 17 or 18" BBS wheels on it. I think that was the last year of the sweet squared off bodies with the round headlights but please correct me if I am wrong.

He tells me one day he was at Home Depot to pick something up, comes out, walks to a sweet black GTI with the same exact wheels, lowered and puts his key in the door (He didn't have an alarm or keyless entry) and opens it up. Puts his key in the ignition, starts it up and drives away. He gets about one block and starts to notice that there is stuff in the car that wasn't his. Realizes it's not his car and hurries back to the parking lot. His car is literally sitting on the other side of a big truck of where the car he took was. Casually parks the car, gets out, locks it, gets right over to his car and jets out. hahaha!

Just thought it was funny story. Have a great evening!

Last edited:

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I did a similar thing . I was traveling a lot to Denver so I was in a rental. I stop at 7/11 to grab a monster walk out and jump in the car. I see papers and shit all over the console and realize oh shit this is not my car. A dude walks up to like wtf and I have to explain to him ( and point) that I have the exact rental car ( minus the trash). Oh well. I just jumped in my car and split. Never forget that.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Former Sheriff drives wrong truck away

Hal Collett had been visiting Spanky’s RV & Marine retail store in Parker, AZ when he exited the store and got into a truck similar to his own, a silver Ford pickup truck. The keys must have been in the ignition because Hal, not realizing he was in the wrong vehicle, backed it out of the space and drove it away.

A few minutes later, the truck’s rightful owner came out and, perplexed, immediately went back into the store and told staff his truck was gone. They helped him by calling 911, and the man walked around the parking lot looking for any sign of what had happened.

A Parker police officer arrived within minutes, as staff began to review security camera footage.

And then, 15 minutes after the truck had disappeared, it was back, followed by two patrol vehicles. Various agencies had jumped in to help by the time Hal came back to the store parking lot, admitting his mistake.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Grew up riding in Ford trucks and don't really know or put much thought into cars. Have gone out with friends in their cars that are fancy. Actual nice cars that cost a bit. Anyways it never fails as we walk back to the car from being out I always try to open the wrong car and it's always a POS sedan that is the same color and same amount of doors. I guess it offends them that I mistake an old Accord as their Mercedes.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we were boating on a big weekend on Havasu. After the weekend, we went to pull the boat out of the water at the Marina, but the trailer was gone. Stolen. We get a slip for the boat, and head back to Cali boatless- a very sad drive.

We got a new (loaner) trailer from Eliminator, and head back the next week. We get the boat on the trailer, and park at the hotel in Havasu. LHC Police wake us up in the middle of the night, thinking we had the stolen trailer we had just reported a few days earlier. We set them straight, but I don't think they believed us- the mention "insurance fraud" a couple times, but couldn't prove anything.

We drive back to Cali.

A day later, we get a call from Nordic- they had the trailer. Apparently, someone was demo'ing a boat, and when it was done, grabbed the wrong trailer. They said to come and get it, but wouldn't give us any reimbursement for all our extra trips to get the boat home- ugh.

2Driver

Reaction score
I was on a biz trip and came out to the rental car I had been driving - so I thought. I opened the trunk and put my luggage in but couldn’t open the driver door. Wasn’t my rental car.

Landed late one night in Hartford and went to the hotel and straight to bed. Snowed 12” over night and all the rental cars in the hotel lot were a bunch of white domes. I had no idea how to find my car and it was before remotes beeped the alarm.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
This is an old story but for some reason I was thinking about it today and was thinking how random and crazy this was.

One of my friends/customers when I worked for Harley Davidson around 2006 or so had a really nice 1992 VW GTI. It was black, lowered, and had a really nice set of 17 or 18" BBS wheels on it. I think that was the last year of the sweet squared off bodies with the round headlights but please correct me if I am wrong.

He tells me one day he was at Home Depot to pick something up, comes out, walks to a sweet black GTI with the same exact wheels, lowered and puts his key in the door (He didn't have an alarm or keyless entry) and opens it up. Puts his key in the ignition, starts it up and drives away. He gets about one block and starts to notice that there is stuff in the car that wasn't his. Realizes it's not his car and hurries back to the parking lot. His car is literally sitting on the other side of a big truck of where the car he took was. Casually parks the car, gets out, locks it, gets right over to his car and jets out. hahaha!

Just thought it was funny story. Have a great evening!
Hahahaha. What are the odds that the keys were the same??

I remember when I was a kid, maybe like 10 to 12. Walked out of the store to our white Ford Van with my dad. He unlocked the door and opened mine. He puts the keys in looks down, looks around, looks at me and said get out now. What?? Why?? I said. Because This ain't our car now get out! and we scrambled out of it. Looked around and there's ours in the next row.

At least we didn't drive away lol.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Ohhhh I forgot I stole a golf cart once. Guys let me play through so they waiting on the green while a made my put. Walked up the cart with the black bag. Took off, parked went to grab my driver.... Not mine . Super embarrassed, I took it back, parked and said guys I haven't even had a beer yet, no excuses. Luckily they were real cool about it.

fmo24

Reaction score
Back before remotes my mom unlocked a car she thought was ours but ignition key did not work. As said she looked around and realized she was in wrong car. I guess back then there limited door keys so chances were your key would open door

great_escape

Reaction score
Many decades ago, when I was still a teen I had boss that was going through a tough patch and divorce with his trophy wife. For fun he gave me a set of key to her car with instructions not to joy ride it and not to get caught, but every time I saw it I was to move it a few parking spaces or back into the spot she had parked it. I did this for nearly a year and never got caught. He passed away a few years ago and during his eulogy his daughter told the story of how her mom though she was going crazy and how it would constantly make him laugh and smile. I also realized he never ratted me out. He was a great influence on my life.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Never happened to me with a car, but it did with a boat. Many years ago I was testing boats for Hot Boat at the Nautical Inn. Our test headquarters was in the cove, there would be 8 to 10 boats from manufacturers pulled up on the sand waiting to be tested. I got the message that the next boat up for testing was a white and red Ultra bowrider. Okay, no big deal, my test partner and I spotted the boat on the beach, not too far from the Turtle. We headed over, jumped in with all our gear, and the key was in the cup holder where it was suppose to be. And off we go...test time! About 15 minutes later we get a call over the radio telling us to bring back the boat to the beach....it wasn't a boat for testing....the boat owner was just having lunch. They didn't seem too perturbed. I even offered to finish the test but they passed. I think they did get a few free Hot Boat shirts out of the deal.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
In high school back in the early 80s we had many years of auto shop. At the time we know that there are only a few different keys. I had a friend with the same make of car. My keys would work in his car but the other way around. He was not aware of it but I was. We would mess around with His car from time to time in the school parking lot. LOL

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not quiet the same but.....

The family and I were out wine tasting in Paso one weekend (well before kids) and we were eating lunch at a nice picnic table where we could see the parking lot too. We watched as this older couple (probably 50's?) Walk out and the woman is definitely having a hard time after enjoying herself. Well we watch her and sure enough she opens my Aunt's passenger door (why lock it in rural Paso when we can see the car?) And gets in. We're all shocked she's in there. I look at my cousin who has the keys and tell him "turn it on" since the Grand Cherokee has the remote start option. My aunt put the kabosh on that plan. Well her husband gets to their car and gets in and can't find her. We politely tell him to look in the Jeep and he found her. Apparently in her embarrassment and haste she left a very nice bottle of wine in the car so that was a nice plus.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not me but HS, late 70’s, a friend had a 240Z, not sure what year. It was an automatic.
Anyway, he shows up at my house in an exact year car but a stick. Thinks it’s be cool to swap trannys out.
Needless to say I rode in it once and convinced him that wasn’t gonna work.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Ok this story is kinda like stealing cars but not really........All of our departments police cars are keyed the same (for obvious reasons) as I’m sure most departments are also. There were lots of night shift shenanigans going on with “stealing” your partners car when he was eating in Denny’s or taking a piss in 7-11 at 3 am. Simply hop in and move it around the back of the building or behind a big truck or whatever. He comes out and has a quick “Oh fuck” moment til he realizes it was us assholes!!! So guys were getting real pissed and it progressed to pepper spray in the heater vents and wiped on the door handle. The games ended for a while when we “stole” a new guys car and he immediately jumped on the radio screaming that his fucking cop car got stolen. That was an awkward phone call from the Sergeant. Lol. Oh the good old days!

rickym20

Reaction score
Had a buddy stop at a local watering hole that had metered parking outback. He ended staying longer than expected and called for his wife to grab him later that night. This was after work so he still had the bright orange shirt that most us construction guys need to wear on Jobsite’s.

The wife calls him that she is out back and waiting for him. He goes outside to make sure his truck was ok and notices his truck is gone. All pissed off , He calls the local PD to report his truck was stolen and goes and tells the Bartender as well. Bartender tells him “Hey , we have surveillance cameras. Let’s go look”. He goes to the security room and they are watching the tape and sure as shit they see the guy. They rewind it and look closer and say “Hey , That’s you!....bright orange shirt and all......Dude , you stole your own truck!!” Lol. Apparently earlier he moved the truck to street parking to avoid getting towed for leaving it over night.

love bringing that story up to him haha

Dalton

Reaction score
a little different of a story- I was working at a boat shop and we had to go grab a boat from storage and service it, key didn't work but boss was sure it was the right unit, long story short someone got a free boat service lol

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Buddy had a 66 mustang it was a red rag top. We are hammered in down town Fullerton. He had lost his key but knew how to unlock it and how to start it without a key. We are both smashed and are gonna call a cab. He has been chatting up this chick all night who wasn't drinking much. She wanted to drive his car home. Hes thinking I get my car home and I get laid yup I'm in.

We get out to the parking garage and spot his car. He goes through the routine of popping the side window unlocking the car popping the hood and jumps the selonoid with the wires he's carrying now instead of keys and starts the car. We get in drop the top and we are on our way. We head off i'm looking at the back of the seats in front of me that are beige not black. "Dude did you swap out the interior?" He's sticking his tongue in this chicks ear and doesn't answer. We get back to the house and get out and he says "wtf" someone stole my Boyd's and replaced them with wires! Who would do that?" I say "dude you just stole somebody's car!"

I'm dying, he and random chick from the bar are freaking out. I tell him it's 1am get it back before last call and you'll be fine. We haul ass back and swap cars. I still give him shit for that one.

His response is always that he fucked up not getting that chicks number.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience with a rental car. I opened the trunk with the key on what I thought was my rental car and put my luggage in it. When I returned I used the remote to open the trunk and the trunk of two cars opened. I looked over and realized both cars were identical in make, model and color. I looked at my fob and noticed the license plate on the car I was at was incorrect and that's where my luggage was. I proceeded to take my luggage out and put it in the other car and drove home.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Ok this story is kinda like stealing cars but not really........All of our departments police cars are keyed the same (for obvious reasons) as I’m sure most departments are also. There were lots of night shift shenanigans going on with “stealing” your partners car when he was eating in Denny’s or taking a piss in 7-11 at 3 am. Simply hop in and move it around the back of the building or behind a big truck or whatever. He comes out and has a quick “Oh fuck” moment til he realizes it was us assholes!!! So guys were getting real pissed and it progressed to pepper spray in the heater vents and wiped on the door handle. The games ended for a while when we “stole” a new guys car and he immediately jumped on the radio screaming that his fucking cop car got stolen. That was an awkward phone call from the Sergeant. Lol. Oh the good old days!

My cousin is a cop. Her patrol car really got stolen. Nobody believed her because of the same shenanigans. We also have DUI check points sometimes. She was working a DUI check point and forgot she drove herself there in a patrol car. Got a ride back in another patrol car. Her car was parked in the middle of the street all night. Next morning someone called 911 to report an empty police car in the middle of street with no cops around.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
My cousin is a cop. Her patrol car really got stolen. Nobody believed her because of the same shenanigans. We also have DUI check points sometimes. She was working a DUI check point and forgot she drove herself there in a patrol car. Got a ride back in another patrol car. Her car was parked in the middle of the street all night. Next morning someone called 911 to report an empty police car in the middle of street with no cops around.
Lol, funny shit!!!!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
No, but I used AAA tipsy tow service to repo a car for me on New Year’s Eve once. Lol.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Now that is funny. Sounds like something from Super Troopers. Makes my day! hahahaha. :eek:🤣

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have accidentally opened up a matching pickup truck. They were both unlocked. It smelled like cigarette smoke , so I knew immediately it wasn't mine. I didn't get in it. Still embarrassing!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
A girl I was "seeing" had a very hot friend who could've been her twin. I got drunk at a party with them and followed the friend into the bathroom and had sex with her. Does that count?
double credit

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Lots of my friends in high school had A Bodies like my chevelle. Worn out ignitions and not too different keys often led to pranking each other with vehicles, one friend with a 68 chevelle even took my 69 chevelle through my drive thru while I was working and thought it too funny. I reminded him to not fuck with those that can fuck with your food. All in good fun though.

My chevelle is fathom blue with white stripes like it was a 70 chevelle, pretty unique you would think. There is another guy that races at fontana with a twin paint wise. Only difference is mine has shaved handles and turn signals and such. We race in the same class, we both have walked up to the wrong vehicle before.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I was driving a wrecker in Flagstaff, across the street from the mall. A Navajo couple walked in from the mall, having car trouble, and needed their red Jeep Cherokee towed and repaired. This was a week or so before Christmas, and light snow. Went over to the mall, found and hooked up red Cherokee, opened the locked door, with a key, to put the seat belt thru the steering wheel, and towed it to the shop.

The mechanic that looked at the Cherokee, said the ignition key wouldn't turn the ignition switch. About 3 rows over, was another red Cherokee. I return the first one, and made sure the key turned the ignition before I towed the second one.

Dan'l

zhandfull

Reaction score
Parked at Home Depot in my Jeep Wrangler. Think I was on the phone for a few minutes. Anyways this couple comes out of the store and his girl jumped in the passenger seat. See was shocked to see me. Dude just started busting up and she was embarrassed as hell. They had a similar Jeep a few parking stalls down.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Stole a trailer once. 🤦‍♂️

at the river in Parker with Danny of DCM (rip).back in the day by the public ramp people would just drop their trailers there as did we so we could park all the cars in the driveway. We go to pull his cat out of the water to get gas. I grab my truck and hook up to “his” trailer. We pull the boat go get gas and while we are filling up he starts realizing it’s not his trailer. Dead giveaway was the lack of ladder on the front. Second sign was the boat was hanging 2 feet off the back.

we finish filling up, put the boat back in the water and went on with our day. 😂😂

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I was driving a wrecker in Flagstaff, across the street from the mall. A Navajo couple walked in from the mall, having car trouble, and needed their red Jeep Cherokee towed and repaired. This was a week or so before Christmas, and light snow. Went over to the mall, found and hooked up red Cherokee, opened the locked door, with a key, to put the seat belt thru the steering wheel, and towed it to the shop.

The mechanic that looked at the Cherokee, said the ignition key wouldn't turn the ignition switch. About 3 rows over, was another red Cherokee. I return the first one, and made sure the key turned the ignition before I towed the second one.

Dan'l

A Navajo couple that owned a Cherokee, nice :) I certainly hope Jeep doesn't have to change the names of some of their stuff these days.