WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Odd or Dumb Stuff You Collect.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Nice! I collect the VW Drag Busses, haven't got any new ones in a long time. Would love to see more of your customs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I knew a lady named Linda Valero who's Dad owned a place called Valero's in Auburn, CA. She raced a chopped, twin engine bus. It was pretty bad ass.

Sent From Tapatalk

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Some of you guys have some weird shit! lol!! I remember those Warner brothers cartoon glasses because we had a bunch. They sold them at thrifty full of soda for like .55 cents back in the late 70's or early 80's. We had a bunch of them.

As most of you know,,,, I collect old Race boat magazines, programs, photos and brochures. It's more of a disease than a hobby. This is about half of the printed media and I have over 100,000 photos.
A1E.jpg

WYRD

Reaction score
Beer can tabs. Been tearing them off my beer cans since I was old enough to drink. I had a group of buddies, I'd tear mine off, they put theirs either left or right, so we could tell whose beer was whose when we left them somewhere.. Habit still with me today. Every time I open a can of anything, I save the tab. Now when my friends come over, they drop theirs in the cup. Dumb, I know.......... I've got gallon bags full. of them. Used to take them down to Roadrunner and donate them for the pet shelter and they'd give me a tab. Someday, I'll donate to a good cause..........lol

View attachment 907883
20200809_183505.jpg

I may have a drinking problem 😎

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Zippos are one of the collections, my best friend in my teens to 20's collected them, and when he was killed, his mom gave each of his friends one, that started my collection to keep it going.

Beer towels from pubs in England is another. They are really high quality and you never really see anything like it over here.

Most famously though, I collect different versions and editions of Jack Daniels, that's what stands out in people's mind when they think of me.

bar2020.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Gonna share something with you collectors. I too was a collector, not only of my shit, but I'd saved most all of my dad's shit as well. Needless to say, after 45 + years electrical contracting and being any avid build stuff hobbyist, I pretty much had most anything I'd need to build something. That's why I could never part with anything, OMG, what if I needed it ?
13 years ago got wiped out by a wildfire, nothing left and other than the irreplaceable photographs and photo albums, which I still miss today, the almost immediate feeling of total liberation was amazing.
At that moment, everything we still owned would easily fit in two small duffel bags or a medium sized suit case. Words can not do justice to just how good it felt, like all the weight of the world was suddenly gone. FREE, FREE, suddenly set free.
But alas, it didn't last long and now, even though I do toss far more than I ever did, piece by piece, nut by nut, shit by shit, it's re-accumulating and we're back to at least a moving van, no more two suitcases for us. But damn, it sure felt awesome while it lasted. 👍👍👍
So I look at these garage pics you guys are sharing and five years ago I'd be freaking out --- WAY to much stuff. Now, ha ha ha, I look around and I realize, I'm doing IT again., I'm collecting instead of tossing. 🥴😅

DLC

Reaction score
My painter older guy named Bob, collects Hot Wheels cars new in the box old cars and sets he has over 10,000 cars all in totes. Been collecting for 20 +years

his grand kids are going to have to deal with them after he’s gone...

cofooter

Reaction score
My painter older guy named Bob, collects Hot Wheels cars new in the box old cars and sets he has over 10,000 cars all in totes. Been collecting for 20 +years

his grand kids are going to have to deal with them after he’s gone...
Potentially big money there. Lots of rare and expensive cars and lots of collectors.

Reactions: DLC

Your ad here

Reaction score
Gonna share something with you collectors. I too was a collector, not only of my shit, but I'd saved most all of my dad's shit as well. Needless to say, after 45 + years electrical contracting and being any avid build stuff hobbyist, I pretty much had most anything I'd need to build something. That's why I could never part with anything, OMG, what if I needed it ?
13 years ago got wiped out by a wildfire, nothing left and other than the irreplaceable photographs and photo albums, which I still miss today, the almost immediate feeling of total liberation was amazing.
At that moment, everything we still owned would easily fit in two small duffel bags or a medium sized suit case. Words can not do justice to just how good it felt, like all the weight of the world was suddenly gone. FREE, FREE, suddenly set free.
But alas, it didn't last long and now, even though I do toss far more than I ever did, piece by piece, nut by nut, shit by shit, it's re-accumulating and we're back to at least a moving van, no more two suitcases for us. But damn, it sure felt awesome while it lasted. 👍👍👍
So I look at these garage pics you guys are sharing and five years ago I'd be freaking out --- WAY to much stuff. Now, ha ha ha, I look around and I realize, I'm doing IT again., I'm collecting instead of tossing. 🥴😅
That's called hoarding. That feeling of freedom is great when you get rid of all the burdens.

C-2

Reaction score
Going through my Moms stuff the other day (she passed several years ago) I found this little gem. View attachment 907996

Man, that's a treasure right there. In our family, he was my Grandma/Pa, my father's, mine, and now my 17-year old daughter's favorite country singer. We owe that man 4-generations of thanks for the great music he left us with.

Awesome find!

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
My oddest is getting my hands on every Arizona Highways magazine ever made. Once you get into the early 40s it gets expensive.
I have just about every issue since 1939-today. I even have a color coded spread sheet to track my collection.

I don't have the count in front of me but it's somewhere in the realm of 80 years and 1000+ magazines.

1597175384810.png

cofooter

Reaction score
My oddest is getting my hands on every Arizona Highways magazine ever made. Once you get into the early 40s it gets expensive.
I have just about every issue since 1939-today. I even have a color coded spread sheet to track my collection.

I don't have the count in front of me but it's somewhere in the realm of 80 years and 1000+ magazines.

View attachment 909597
My Mom and Grandma had subscriptions, loved to stare at the desert scenery when I was a kid!

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
My Mom and Grandma had subscriptions, loved to stare at the desert scenery when I was a kid!

My wife's aunt was a collector and gifted them to me when she passed. I then bought a huge part of the collection from one of their photographers. Since then I've been filling in the blanks. It's really great reading and nice to get into the mindset of people back in the 40s-50s on Arizona life.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I've got a few large clear plastic pretzel containers filled with hundreds of wine corks. I keep telling myself I'll get back to making some wine cork boards and trivets as gifts but then I open another bottle of wine for the wife and fuggedaboudit

Lately I've been tossing stuff out and I've enjoyed the feeling of decluttering 😁

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
I love thermometers (weather not fever). Maybe it started when we bought the river house and the obsession to see how hot is. I have probably 20 thermometers between the house, garage, bedrooms, handheld, etc.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score

My dad had his Ruidoso house go up in a wild fire about 8 years ago. Luckily he decided to head back here, only because he was getting a little smoked out at that house, fire was headed away from him. It turned and 4 hours after he left the house and all was gone! He lost a TON of antiques and collectibles but nothing personal. Within 2 months he bought another house away from the burn zone, and 6 months after had replaced about every music box, record player, gun, toy or car with another like it or twins of it.
It's about the search for him.

Taboma

Reaction score
My dad had his Ruidoso house go up in a wild fire about 8 years ago. Luckily he decided to head back here, only because he was getting a little smoked out at that house, fire was headed away from him. It turned and 4 hours after he left the house and all was gone! He lost a TON of antiques and collectibles but nothing personal. Within 2 months he bought another house away from the burn zone, and 6 months after had replaced about every music box, record player, gun, toy or car with another like it or twins of it.
It's about the search for him.

The family antiques I was more or less storing for my kids, so when they called to offer condolences on OUR loss, I think I caught them off guard when I told them in return " No, I'm sorry for YOUR loss", because now there are no family heirlooms or pictures for me to eventually gift to you.
Interesting you mentioned Music Box, dad and I had spent years refurbishing an antique family heirloom music box, even soliciting help from the Music Box experts at Knott's Berry Farm, that was a huge loss.
The only two things I miss are, all the family pictures and movies and all my dad's tools we had used together during my childhood.
There's nothing we currently own here at home ( Rebuilt, same location) , that can't be easily replaced if we burned again, it's just stuff.
The boat and toys are all garaged in Havasu. 👍
Despite that, when there's a fire around, my anxiety levels get a bit bonkers despite my best efforts to reconcile myself down, so often we just head for Havasu, where I chill right out.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I love thermometers (weather not fever). Maybe it started when we bought the river house and the obsession to see how hot is. I have probably 20 thermometers between the house, garage, bedrooms, handheld, etc.

2966627954_a20e33e140.jpg

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s odd or dumb but I collect sports memorabilia. One of my favorite pieces is I got Muhammad Ali to sign/etch a piece of glass twice for me.

0AA92777-08A5-4F98-8060-53EF5FABAFFD.jpeg

A1FC4A99-16E8-4058-97F8-C1CE78267C6B.jpeg

GRADS

Reaction score
Another one of my faves...
142F0F40-8701-4F06-AF04-1141953EBC81.jpeg

GRADS

Reaction score
I knew a lady named Linda Valero who's Dad owned a place called Valero's in Auburn, CA. She raced a chopped, twin engine bus. It was pretty bad ass.

Sent From Tapatalk
Ha! I knew her well, she worked on my 914 all the time.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Bought another one. Just like most of them I've bought it didn't run and had to drag it to the lift gate. Paid a little more than I wanted too ($700) but took the chance. Engine was locking up on TDC and the engine mounts and frame were bent. 10lb. sledge hammer, kerosene and oil mix in the cylinders, and small parts later it's running. Its ugly but a good backup/training unit.
20201010_163224.jpg
20201010_163239.jpg

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Dixxon flannels. No idea why, it’s too hot to wear the fucking things most of the year. [emoji23]

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
When Disney opened a new ride, event or attraction they issued custom, elaborate designed Giant special edition entrance tickets.

$100.00.
Matt framed they are really cool.

I collected them until they picked up interest and Disney released them in sets of 10 for $1000 + tax.
Everyone quit.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I've got a few large clear plastic pretzel containers filled with hundreds of wine corks. I keep telling myself I'll get back to making some wine cork boards and trivets as gifts but then I open another bottle of wine for the wife and fuggedaboudit

Lately I've been tossing stuff out and I've enjoyed the feeling of decluttering 😁
Ya I have a few projects in front of me sold the mini bikes today I have a ton of guns/ammo to shoot a 2018 can am to drive a 1972 TM Suzuki 250 to build / restore ( can’t find a few parts ) A go cart to complete with 18 hp motor a outside shooting range , a barn , a Manx VW And soon to have a 51 Chevy ? 1 ton if I can find owner And a 92 Chevy 3/4 4x4 ton to sell .