WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It just makes ya wonder why? The companies that buy forums..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I still can’t figure out why most forums went away? RDP has grown exponentially since social media came on the scene. We have our social media pages as well but they don’t have the vibe rdp has.. and I don’t put the effort into them that I do here because frankly other than branding I can’t see the value of them.

In an ideal world no one wants multiple interfaces.

Facebook puts everything all on one dashboard for you. It is the lowest common denominator of information.. it is “fed” to you. You can see what friends are doing, see what family is up to and see some LAM posts on boats, and view news and political debates.

I have to visit 5 forums just to catch up on what’s going on and what people are talking about. For me that is a benefit, as the experience is more enriching, but also more time consuming.

Tank

Reaction score
Chris started serious offshore andhe took members for a ton of $$$.. One of the members was talking to me one day and introducing me to another and the guy proudly exclaimed he had given Chris 40/50k for software etc and others had done the same..

I told them I didn’t understand why he would need that kinda money for what basically amounts to a couple hundred bucks for stock software and a license that is a hundred bucks a year.. lol
between that conversation and someone marking a 100.00 bill at a charity event and watching him spend it at a bar was his undoing.. and of course discovering the Apache BS..

Blows me away though that people are so quick to give guys like him and OCM Tim huge dollars without so much as even looking into what they are giving it for..

I have pumped about 15k into software upgrades and custom softwares (most of which that have not been realized yet). That classifieds system we have now was all custom written for rdponly and I’m still working on it.
Sunkin was / is a huge douche bag. Unfortunately the members of OSO were already miffed that Steve sold it and IB was dropping the ball. Insert scammer (sunkin) and you have a mass exodus. It's really a shame.

Not trying to stroke your ego but your forum is the closest thing there is to the old school OSO. I think times have changed and with the way social media is now (less forgiving) many industry insiders and leaders wont post regularly but I know personally (and I know we've talked about it) that there are MANY MANY industry big wigs that lurk on here. I always get a kick out of it when I hear someone thats a big deal in the industry say they lurk here. Or even just guys that run big stuff on the east coast or what not.

Tank

Reaction score
I still can’t figure out why most forums went away? RDP has grown exponentially since social media came on the scene. We have our social media pages as well but they don’t have the vibe rdp has.. and I don’t put the effort into them that I do here because frankly other than branding I can’t see the value of them.
Mismanagement. largest boating forums are / were lead by individuals with a great passion for this "sport". That's what it takes to get forums to grow. Someone with the drive and vision. No big tech company is going to do that. And no investor looking to get rich quick is gonna do that. You have to be 100% invested and lead by example.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Forums die when they’re sold.

New “don’t be offensive” rules and mods take over, driving them into the ground.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In an ideal world no one wants multiple interfaces.

Facebook puts everything all on one dashboard for you. It is the lowest common denominator of information.. it is “fed” to you. You can see what friends are doing, see what family is up to and see some LAM posts on boats, and view news and political debates.

I have to visit 5 forums just to catch up on what’s going on and what people are talking about. For me that is a benefit, as the experience is more enriching, but also more time consuming.

You cheatin on me you son of a bitch?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

New “don’t be offensive” rules and mods take over, driving them into the ground.

I remember when this place used to be fun. 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

lol I don’t fall into that category.. I offend at least ten people daily..

I often wonder if I should keep my politics quiet because literally half the country is brainwashed... which technically would be good for biz, but I just can’t help myself..

Conversation between myself and one of the moderators of the fb group

63F87349-C27F-47B7-ACBB-94D2534DDFE1.jpeg

I put out a call for some mods for that fb group the other day and I put

it’s a boating page not politics, but sometime it’s America and ya roll with it.. no fucking liberals..

(Something to that effect)

the lady that helps events for the city and diverges funds to them responded on that “it’s sad that hate has to be a qualification.. just calling a spade a spade”

I responded with “I can’t support being an anti American piece of shit.. just calling a spade a spade.”

Pretty sure none of my events will ever get city funding now.. I’m ok with that. I won’t bend on that issue... although I do question the wisdom of being so up front about it.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
the members are who create the vibe. Without the characters on here this website loses its luster. While Grads is everyones scapegoat he brings something different to the party. There are a lot of knowlegeable boating geniuses on here, there are even more wannabe geniuses, and then there are people like me who are always looking for answers about boating. The reason i joined this site is because i needed knowlege. I think this site will continue to grow as boating continues to grow. Our job as an internet community is to continually perpetuate the boating lifestyle and bring new people on board. That way RD can keep putting food on the table.

End of the day its the community that creates the content. Dave does some cool boat reviews and hes the pseudo mayor of havasu, but its all of you here that make this site what it is.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
GD has gotten huge but seems to still be pretty good. I'm there rarely though anymore.
Thumper talk has changed. Racedezert seems the same but rarely there also.
The FB pages only work for me when I'm sitting on Chirocco summit wondering wtf. There's always someone five miles up that can give me real time info.
The reach and info and people willing to help out are what keep me at rdp