WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Golf Carts

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a golf cart pretty soon, I know for sure I want a 6 seater so I have room for ice chests etc. I'm not sure if I want gas or electric. I'm leaning toward electric b/c it will sit in Havasu at the landing year round, so I'm thinking maintenance will be easier? not really sure. What are the pros and cons, and what should I be looking out for? Probably going to buy new unless someone here has a used one for sale...

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Here one for sale at the Islander
This is the only info. I can reach out to him for a phone #

EZ go RXV. For sale. 48 volt electric,Great condition just added LED lights.With charger. Flip back seat,new motor brake
$5500.00
D528CAE3-93C5-4BFE-8103-DA20527CD35E.jpeg

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Fellow Landing guy here. I'm gonna pull that trigger soon too, but leaning towards gas. The issue is letting the fuel sit, especially in a carbed motor. New would be EFI and that mitigates some of the issue. We're down pretty much every other week, so I am not as worried about the fuel sitting as I am about the charging and battery replacement issues. Good discussion for sure.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Another one at the Islander in Havasu for sale
2FBC3272-0317-497D-9CED-78ACE2017946.jpeg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
You are going to get some people that say gas is the only way, and some people that say electric is the way to go...it is really all about what works best for you. I prefer electric because as long as the batteries are good and charged, thats really your only concern....a gas cart is like another car you have to maintain, fuel, oil changes, belts, plugs, etc....I also like the quietness of an electric cart for early morning rides, its alot more peaceful to me...thats my .02

If you do go with electric...try to stick with an AC motor rather then DC

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Of course they've got f'ng black seats!

boatnam2

Reaction score
Iv'e always had electric, had both for the last 2 years, electric is nice and quiet but the gasser is what i would keep if i only had one. Wish i had all the money i have spent on batteries or shoes after walking back to camp after cart died.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I got this from river mobster. I broke the fuel pick up line in the gas tank like the day after I got it. I have it rigged right now but it works fine. I love cruising around the neighborhood with the family at sunset. I like the gas power option. My garage does smell like gas when I park it though. Could be the way I have it rigged I suppose.
C6A676D7-953C-4646-A3C5-FF5390E56945.jpeg

Reactions: DWC

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Iv'e always had electric, had both for the last 2 years, electric is nice and quiet but the gasser is what i would keep if i only had one. Wish i had all the money i have spent on batteries or shoes after walking back to camp after cart died.
How long to the batteries last when fully charged?

LakeBeard

Reaction score
You are going to get some people that say gas is the only way, and some people that say electric is the way to go...it is really all about what works best for you. I prefer electric because as long as the batteries are good and charged, thats really your only concern....a gas cart is like another car you have to maintain, fuel, oil changes, belts, plugs, etc....I also like the quietness of an electric cart for early morning rides, its alot more peaceful to me...thats my .02

If you do go with electric...try to stick with an AC motor rather then DC
Probably a dumb question, what's the difference between AC & DC

guest hs

Reaction score
I have a 48 volt club car and really like it I put that back seat kit on it and did a bunch of upgrades to it. I kicking around the idea of selling it because my river crew is going separate ways and I won’t really need it anymore

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
I have had an electric cart for 15 years and replaced the batteries 2 times. The maintenance on the electric carts is almost nothing except keeping the batteries full of distilled water and cleaning the battery connection posts. I do NOT leave the charger plugged in when we aren't at the river house and I have found that seems to keep the battery life longer. When it does come time to change the batteries I go to Sams Club in Bullhead City and get them for around $90 each. Having a place in a mobile home "resort" I can tell you the gas carts are very annoying to anyone that isn't driving in one :)

boatnam2

Reaction score
I have had an electric cart for 15 years and replaced the batteries 2 times. The maintenance on the electric carts is almost nothing except keeping the batteries full of distilled water and cleaning the battery connection posts. I do NOT leave the charger plugged in when we aren't at the river house and I have found that seems to keep the battery life longer. When it does come time to change the batteries I go to Sams Club in Bullhead City and get them for around $90 each. Having a place in a mobile home "resort" I can tell you the gas carts are very annoying to anyone that isn't driving in one :)
Nothing worse than a throttle jockey with a lifted golf cart with a pre-runner kit on front and a pipe to make it loud. They are all over emerald cove and yes very annoying.

Reactions: DWC

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
Nothing worse than a throttle jockey with a lifted golf cart with a pre-runner kit on front and a pipe to make it loud. They are all over emerald cove and yes very annoying.

For our park it is mostly the kids that drive around in circles all day long hauling ass

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
We're at The Landing too. We have an old Club Car 36v, picked it up about 6 years ago for $375. Put in new batteries, Lifted it, put on a back seat we're all in for approx $1500 . We love it, just goes and goes. First set of batteries lasted almost 5 years. The thing we like best about the electric is how quiet they are, plus every time an older gas cart goes by they stink, don't really notice it so much with the newer gas carts though

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We're at The Landing too. We have an old Club Car 36v, picked it up about 6 years ago for $375. Put in new batteries, Lifted it, put on a back seat we're all in for approx $1500 . We love it, just goes and goes. First set of batteries lasted almost 5 years. The thing we like best about the electric is how quiet they are, plus every time an older gas cart goes by they stink, don't really notice it so much with the newer gas carts though
Mine stinks for sure. Big time when I park it in the garage. Seems pretty quite though.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Gas with stabil in the tank. Keep it on a trickle charger for the starting battery. Fahgettaboutit

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
We have a electric 6 seat rxv. Went with electric so we can do the midnite booze cruise without anyone bitching at campgrounds or in the neighborhood.

just make sure get a charger that maintains. Not all of them do believe it or not.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I've had this gas GC for about 16 years. No problem with the gas when it sits for 5 months. Just use stabil. Change the battery about every 2-3 years.
CIMG0052.JPG

J 2

Reaction score
I had a Honda 670cc V-Twin in this one. Ran 45mph with a governor on, climbed all the hills behind Echo Lodge at the river. It was a blast.
100_1662.jpg

eliminate-her

Reaction score
I'm over by the Landing as well. I have both gas and electric and they both have their pro's and con's. Currently have 3 golf carts as we usually have guests and like to have a spare car available. This one is for sale. EZ-Go with newer batteries(last year), new battery cables(EZ-Go kit). I even have a cold weather kit for it.
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
2018-05-21 19.47.55.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I'm over by the Landing as well. I have both gas and electric and they both have their pro's and con's. Currently have 3 golf carts as we usually have guests and like to have a spare car available. This one is for sale. EZ-Go with newer batteries(last year), new battery cables(EZ-Go kit). I even have a cold weather kit for it. View attachment 915496 View attachment 915497 View attachment 915498 View attachment 915499 View attachment 915500
Thanks, but I need a 6 seater, I want the fold down cargo area.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a golf cart pretty soon, I know for sure I want a 6 seater so I have room for ice chests etc. I'm not sure if I want gas or electric. I'm leaning toward electric b/c it will sit in Havasu at the landing year round, so I'm thinking maintenance will be easier? not really sure. What are the pros and cons, and what should I be looking out for? Probably going to buy new unless someone here has a used one for sale...

In the heat, you'll be spending lots of money down the road on batteries. They are not cheap!

Go gas, and put AV gas in it. AV gas is highly stabilized, and has no alcohol in it. Alcohol is what makes pump gas go bad.

5 gallons will probably last you a year at a vacation home.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I have a bunch of used gas 6 pass carts that are NOT in perfect condition but run great. These are great for someone that wants to customize to their specifications and start with an affordable gas 6 pass. Rob 925-four two one- 5 nine six nine

Tank

Reaction score
Pros and cons

Gas:
Pros - little faster (except in sand the 72 volt is torque master and hauls on the sand). No battery replacement. No batteries to charge. Can adjust governor get up to 25mph out of stock motor.
Con - Louder (stock ones with stock exhaust aren't that loud), gas smell, have to have gas to put in it when you run out.

Electric:
Pros - quiet. Charge and go (no gas to fill). Torquey.
Con - Heat KILLS the batteries. If optimum conditions you can get 5-7 years out of a set. Not up on it, 3 years in the heat will kill them. dealing with charging, cleaning, watering.

There are different GC motors out there 36 Volt, 48 Volt and the new 72 Volt. There are also brand new Lithium batteries that are 500 lbs lighter than conventional, go 15-20 miles further on a charge, allow for quick charge and have a 10 year warranty. Down side is if you do need to replace they are crazy expensive and the lithium carts run about 2k more than standard 72 volt. The 72 volt is fast and torquey but a motor replacement is about 1500 bucks. 36 volt carts can't be "chipped" and they are NOT fast (like 12 mph is max). 48 volt can be chipped and will push a cart up to the high 30's but again, rough on the motor and the motors are spendy. 72 volt is the new rave. A pimped out one 6 seater brand new is around 17k. The new lithium carts from textron / ezgo / cushman have some cool features (cooler in the back, high back nice seats, etc).
The brand new gas carts by Textron are changing motors from the Kawasaki and dropping the CC SIGNIFICANTLY!!! Haven't driven a brand new gas cart with the new gas motor but it doesn't sounds too great. Also, unlike the old ezgos the newer models over the past few years, have no cool upgrades such as a belt to make them faster 😁 Older ones do.

If you're looking at used I'd take a close look at the 8 seater (set up as a 6 seater) cushman that's for sale in the classifieds. Good deal, Ca. plated, seating and storage and let me tell you (since we had an 8 seater for a while) the wow factor is pretty funny.

also, Rob (lake PAL) has both gas and electric 6 seaters you may want to check out. Could fit the bill nicely and for less money.

Anyway, hope that helps.

jesco

Reaction score
What Tank said... Who will mainly be driving it? I have had both... My kids DRIVE tTHE PISS out of ours, batteries would last 3 years TOPS!!! Switching to gas has been way less stressful

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Spot on Tank. Call or text me if I can help. New inventory is VERY low for almost every dealer on the west coast & lead times from factory in Georgia are terrible.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It used to make sense for me to custom build "spec" carts & sell them but now EVERYONE wants their cart exactly to their spec which I 100000% agree with. Now when I sell used carts I typically leave them bone stock & customers build to their spec. I am always willing to build for people but too many folks say "I found all of those parts on the internet cheaper" etc.

Tank

Reaction score
Spot on Tank. Call or text me if I can help. New inventory is VERY low for almost every dealer on the west coast & lead times from factory in Georgia are terrible.

This^^^^^

New is bitchen and comes with all the cool new bells and whistles and has a 2 year warranty but if you're looking for new, stand by because as Rob said, inventory right now is running out because of the COVID BS and there isn't any deals going on. Just got told to get a cart exactly like I want from the factory (some custom stuff switching some things around from Textron to EZ-GO parts etc) it could take up til june 2021!!:oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
This^^^^^

New is bitchen and comes with all the cool new bells and whistles and has a 2 year warranty but if you're looking for new, stand by because as Rob said, inventory right now is running out because of the COVID BS and there isn't any deals going on. Just got told to get a cart exactly like I want from the factory (some custom stuff switching some things around from Textron to EZ-GO parts etc) it could take up til june 2021!!:oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We just attempted to order 3 full truckloads & EZGO told us we MIGHT get the 1st truckload by mid December if we are lucky. Used carts just went up another $300 on top of the $250 they went up in June, from our factory rep, because the lack of used inventory since courses are not getting their new fleets. All 3 of the big cart manufacturers are raping their dealers on new & used.

Tank

Reaction score
We just attempted to order 3 full truckloads & EZGO told us we MIGHT get the 1st truckload by mid December if we are lucky. Used carts just went up another $300 on top of the $250 they went up in June, from our factory rep, because the lack of used inventory since courses are not getting their new fleets. All 3 of the big cart manufacturers are raping their dealers on new & used.

I've noticed the market on used carts is up noticeably and the price jump on new carts was a bit of a shock! Supply and demand in full affect. 😁

By the way, you guys wouldn't happen to have an extra new style plastic rear facing seat with cooler built in laying around would you?

Last edited:

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Have 2 gas carts, a Yamaha 2 stroke oil injection and an 8 passage Club Car 4 stroke. Had both for 10 years and they sit for months at a time. Replaced both starting batteries last year for the first time. Run Stabil and they both start right up.
I run through a tank of gas a year, but you never run out at the wrong time.

lf2

Reaction score
Another Landing person here, we had 2 gas carts got rid of the older one over winter and will be replacing it with another gas cart. Have never had a fuel issue from sitting, the older one you would have to play with the choke to get it going after sitting, newer one just starts and goes.