WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

All good

JMS

Reaction score
I would like here back from people that owed a nordic 29 deck boat. Im having alot of issues with speed for this boat . I have a 600 mercury racing motor and the xr racing drive with a 26 pitch. I have tried a 28p and 30p but nothing really changes on speed. This is a brand new 2020 boat. I can only get the speed up to 53 mph with 4 kids, wife, and myself. We total about 580 pounds altogether. We probably have another 400 pounds in all of the storage cabinets.
This boat went 79 mph with 40 gallons of gas in it and one person driving. Then it went 76 with full tank of gas and storage compartments all filled and one person driving. I was not doing the driving. The only time I've seen it over 60 is when I was at a lake with the elevation of 4600.
I would love to get some feed back of what motor you have in yours and speed you get out of it with just one person and then with people in the boat.
Thanks

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
What kind of RPM are you turning the motor?

JMS

Reaction score
I'm turning 4900-5000 and then the guardian turns on

JMS

Reaction score
its been at nordic a bunch of times.
Just trying to get feedback so I can go into nordic with something .
I know nordic will get it fixed , just curious what other people are running this boat at and what pitch

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Take the weight out of the bow, and don’t use the sponson coolers..

Those sharp sponsons are great for cutting big water, but they won’t carry weight in the nose of the boat like some of the decks do with less deadrise!

When you have weight in the bow it won’t carry and now you are scrubbing off all the speed with hull drag

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Something isn't right. My buddy has a 29 deck with an 8.2 in it and runs a little over 50 mph WOT with a full load.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Take the weight out of the bow, and don’t use the sponson coolers..

Those sharp sponsons are great for cutting big water, but they won’t carry weight in the nose of the boat like some of the decks do with less deadrise!

When you have weight in the bow it won’t carry and now you are scrubbing off all the speed with hull drag
Agreed Dave. I used to carry a big ass cooler bag between the bow seats and just moving that one cooler to the back helped me. It probably weighed like 70-75 pounds.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I would pull all the weight out of the boat and retest it to see if you can duplicate the numbers when you first purchased it. If you can then you are definitely nose heavy. 400 pounds is a lot of extra weight. I would try to find a way to put your boat on a diet, lol. Also find out what the WOT RPM's is suppose to be? That will tell you a lot to start diagnosing the problem.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What were the speed and RPM's with the different props? You should see a pretty big difference between the 26 and the 30.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The original performance numbers seem pretty good at that elevation?

The speed when loaded seems weird. Do you have a good feel for what the boat wants or needs when trimming?

At that Elevation I would think a Bravo 24 loaded and a 26 perhaps a labbed 28 when light.

I don't think that boat will come close to pulling a 30 prop at 5000'

JMS

Reaction score
I have taken everything out but only made it to a little over 60 mph.
400 pounds is from anchors, buoys, rope, wakeboards, tubes, chairs, umbrellas, life jackets, slide anchors, etc...
Most of the heavy stuff is in the back and middle of the boat

JMS

Reaction score
the elevation was a family trip. It just ran better up there but also while it was up there the drive blew. So I already have a new drive on it as well.
We are normally at havasu and mohave

DWC

Reaction score
Agree with Dave 100%. I would avoid storing too much up front. Zero is ideal. People riding up front also have a big impact. Our Magic with the 496 was pretty sensitive. Way different boat with full load (Gas, coolers and family). The 115 degree heat isn’t your friend either. Run it in the morning empty this weekend and report back.

attitude

Reaction score
When we were taking delivery of my mom and step dads 26 Nordic they said two kids upfront would reduce the top end by 10-15 MPH, as RD said those sharp sponsons do not like weight up front. 53 MHP does seem pretty slow through even for 100 degree day with a couple people and ice chest. My step dads has a 565 and runs mid 70s all summer, for reference it ran 83 before it was delivered.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I am wondering what is in the boat that weighs 400 lbs?
My neighbor bought an 18' Galaxy with a 135 outboard on it and came to the river with us. He's kind of a prepper guy and likes to be prepared. He got all pissed off because the boat took forever to plane and wouldn't go much past about 20 miles an hour. We got it back the beach and I peaked inside....he had, under the deck...

100 ft of 3/8 chain.
2 steel anchors
a spare battery
5 gallon gas can, full,
trolling motor,
boat hook
case of water
50 lb tool box

Once we got all that shit outta there, boat ran great

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So you it's going into guardian? Showing over rev before 5200?

JMS

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200615-151131_Messages.jpg

JMS

Reaction score
I have ran it with kids upfront and on the back seat. No difference in speed.
I have ran it at 6am, 12pm, 7 pm and the difference in speed is only a couple miles per hour.
Yes it does show the rev limiter before 5200 rpms.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have ran it with kids upfront and on the back seat. No difference in speed.
I have ran it at 6am, 12pm, 7 pm and the difference in speed is only a couple miles per hour.
Yes it does show the rev limiter before 5200 rpms.

whats in the front of the boat? Are you using the sponson coolers?

riverroyal

Reaction score
where are you located? John or Thane will get on the water with you im sure.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
First thing to check is the throttle blades are wide open.
Second would be if this is GPS'ed

JMS

Reaction score
I do use the coolers but I have had them full and empty and it was a 2 mph difference

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Start with the basics

1). Figure out what is causing the Guardian mode !!! This is most likely the problem.
2) be sure throttle is working properly. ( full throttle )
3) double check prop is not damaged
4)run boat with just you...... no extra weight
5) verify speed with GPS. a second one if you have gps already

hallett21

Reaction score
I just went back and re read. Are you saying you can’t break 60 on havasu/Mohave but did break 60 at 4500 ft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
at 5000' and 90' outside air temp density altitude is closer to 8000'.

that means approximately a 25% loss of air/engine power.

there is nothing wrong with your boat.

While there’s going to be losses wouldn’t a supercharged Merc mitigate some of that? I thought they electronically controlled the boost?

3.Slow

Reaction score
What type of speed loss is reasonable when comparing a loaded boat to an unloaded boat? everyone is saying dont use the sponson coolers, that seems unrealistic. don't sit in the front, but 6 adults in the back and it can't plane. Based on other threads I read, there was one in Parker with a TCM 825 that ran near 100, and another with an estimated 850 hp that ran 93, i would be curious what these boats ran in realistic conditions with people and gas and drinks, or what and identical boat, 29 with a 600, runs. surely someone has the same setup.

Reactions: DWC

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Did the speed problem start after you blew up the drive or has this been an ongoing problem?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
what and identical boat, 29 with a 600, runs. surely someone has the same setup.
Seems like we have this actual boat's numbers:

"This boat went 79 mph with 40 gallons of gas in it and one person driving. Then it went 76 with full tank of gas and storage compartments all filled and one person driving. "

bripar77

Reaction score
If it ran better at altitude wouldn't that be a rich condition at sea level? Is the Transom black at all? The guys at Nordic are good and they will figure it out.
Take it to them and go for a ride.

JMS

Reaction score
I have had a boat my whole life. This isn't my first boat. I understand about weight, gas, temperature, etc.... my problem is this boat with this setup shouldn't have a top speed of 53 regardless of weight, temperature, or elements. I have never had to run a boat full throttle all the time.
What I'm really trying to find if anybody else out there has this same boat with a 600 mercury motor in it. I want to go back to nordic with other results from other owners.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
For what it worth my dads 29 nordic on havasu in July ran 102. This was with 2 people, 7/8 on gas, and mid day. It had a 1100 hp motor in in and a scx drive spinning a 5 blade 32. Bimini down

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have had a boat my whole life. This isn't my first boat. I understand about weight, gas, temperature, etc.... my problem is this boat with this setup shouldn't have a top speed of 53 regardless of weight, temperature, or elements. I have never had to run a boat full throttle all the time.
What I'm really trying to find if anybody else out there has this same boat with a 600 mercury motor in it. I want to go back to nordic with other results from other owners.
Is this the speed at altitude or on havasu?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Don’t the Merc dealers have a recording device they can put on the boat to check engine performance, I’m wondering if it’s a fuel pressure issue, maybe some crap in the tanks has clogged up the filters.
I would think that boat should be able to run 65+ mph no matter how much weight you put on it even in the Havasu heat with that power plant. 🤷

DaveH

Reaction score
While there’s going to be losses wouldn’t a supercharged Merc mitigate some of that? I thought they electronically controlled the boost?
ahhhhh i missed it had a blower.

still......since the supercharger is mechanically driven............you would make a little less boost as you are starting from a lower density atmosphere. this may not be the case if there is a blow off valve that is opening closer to sea level. if not.....a blower pulley change would be in order to make the factory boost level at high altitude.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
There needs to be some clarification here. The way I read the first post is he normally boats at Havasu and can’t get the boat up to speed, the only time he’s gotten it over 60 miles an hour was at 4600 foot elevation.
Am I understanding this correctly?