WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Possible Hit and Run Near River Lodge.

ikester

Reaction score
Last weekend - Sunday afternoon traveling up river at RiverLodge coming to the big left hand bend/corner and we are over way to our left AZ side, and a poontoon had come up on our left and was going ahead of us on our right with plenty of room between us, as we near the bend a poontoon coming down river round the bend, and there is room for everyone, except now a small approx. 21' to 23' tunnel outdrive is coming fast up river and he starts to go between us and the poontoon going up river, then he cuts across the poontoons wake and is now going between the pootoon going up river and the poontoon going down river leaving maybe 20 - 25' on each side and he is moving fast, to fast for the situation, but he just accerlerates even more. The poontoon coming down river saw this and moved way over to the Calif. side shore. Dumb move and no reason for it. Stupid.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but tubing, skiing, wakeboarding (surfing is probably fine because of the speed and proximity to the boat) seem dangerous in Parker and from the 40 bridge to Needles bridge on Summer Fridays and Saturdays from 9-6. I don't care if you've done it for 50 years. You're relying on other people to be smart and attentive enough to not run over your kid or family member. Is tubing really worth that risk at those times and in those areas?

I dropped my new to me boat in the river the farthest north I ever have, at Jack Smith. It was my first time ever driving this boat and a big V bottom in general. but I do have about 16 years of boating experience. Also, I tend to stay really close to sober all day. I was still on edge with how narrow it was from Jack Smith to Pirates and people tubing. Now imagine someone who just got a new boat that does 50-60 and drinking.

Yeah, count me out of that. I'll go down to Havasu and find a cove if I want to drag around a tube.
We really have to STOP blaming the victim, your allowed to be in the water, your not allowed to run over people. It's really simple.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but tubing, skiing, wakeboarding (surfing is probably fine because of the speed and proximity to the boat) seem dangerous in Parker and from the 40 bridge to Needles bridge on Summer Fridays and Saturdays from 9-6. I don't care if you've done it for 50 years. You're relying on other people to be smart and attentive enough to not run over your kid or family member. Is tubing really worth that risk at those times and in those areas?

I dropped my new to me boat in the river the farthest north I ever have, at Jack Smith. It was my first time ever driving this boat and a big V bottom in general. but I do have about 16 years of boating experience. Also, I tend to stay really close to sober all day. I was still on edge with how narrow it was from Jack Smith to Pirates and people tubing. Now imagine someone who just got a new boat that does 50-60 and drinking.

Yeah, count me out of that. I'll go down to Havasu and find a cove if I want to drag around a tube.
Yep, the area between Pirate's and Smith, horrible and should be avoided at all costs...
but I may have skewed reasoning🤫

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
We really have to STOP blaming the victim, your allowed to be in the water, your not allowed to run over people. It's really simple.

I also have the right of way as a pedestrian when there is a crosswalk but no stoplight or stop sign. The cars are supposed stop for me. But you won't see me strolling across the street without making sure the cars see me first.

To me that is comparable to "Well it is the job of the boat behind you to not run into you." Yeah well it's also your responsibility to not make some random, asinine, unexpected turn... but we see it every day on the water. Then everybody blames the second boat for driving too fast or following too close.

I'm saying, if you don't want to put your friends and family's lives in someone else hands, don't tube at those times in those places. You can say well this is the law or it's not their fault. True, technically. But still a dumbass move to put a person in the water in a high traffic area at a time of day with a glare.

For example, in this case, would you rather be right about "I'm allowed to tube here whenever I want" or would you rather have your arm?

EarpRider

Reaction score
I also have the right of way as a pedestrian when there is a crosswalk but no stoplight or stop sign. The cars are supposed stop for me. But you won't see me strolling across the street without making sure the cars see me first.

To me that is comparable to "Well it is the job of the boat behind you to not run into you." Yeah well it's also your responsibility to not make some random, asinine, unexpected turn... but we see it every day on the water. Then everybody blames the second boat for driving too fast or following too close.

I'm saying, if you don't want to put your friends and family's lives in someone else hands, don't tube at those times in those places. You can say well this is the law or it's not their fault. True, technically. But still a dumbass move to put a person in the water in a high traffic area at a time of day with a glare.

For example, in this case, would you rather be right about "I'm allowed to tube here whenever I want" or would you rather have your arm?
"True, technically. But still a dumbass move to put a person in the water in a high traffic area at a time of day with a glare."
So if your driving to fast to stop from running over someone in high traffic water with a glare.... sounds like a dumbass move.
Look at any of Wheelers post over the last decade from all holiday weekends, people are wakeboarding, tubing, water skiing, surfing, stand up jet skiing. Its a fact, people are enjoying water sports on the water. So you dam well better slow down and be able to react, stop, or be able to avoid people in the water.
Or live with the fact that you killed someone or ruined their life forever because you needed to go fast.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
"True, technically. But still a dumbass move to put a person in the water in a high traffic area at a time of day with a glare."
So if your driving to fast to stop from running over someone in high traffic water with a glare.... sounds like a dumbass move.
Look at any of Wheelers post over the last decade from all holiday weekends, people are wakeboarding, tubing, water skiing, surfing, stand up jet skiing. Its a fact, people are enjoying water sports on the water. So you dam well better slow down and be able to react, stop, or be able to avoid people in the water.
Or live with the fact that you killed someone or ruined their life forever because you needed to go fast.

True.

And as the driver/owner of the towing boat, you have to live with the fact that you decided to tube in a risky situation and put lives in the hands of random (probably drunk) clowns on a skinny river.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

Are they at fault for tubing? Nope. Was it high risk to tube at that time and place? Yup.

Again, I'd rather be alive/have my arm. These terrible, irresponsible drivers will always exist.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can't agree with the "everyone needs to look out for me" theory. I was raised that you lookout for yourself when young, and your kids when you have them...while teaching them to lookout for themselves.

All parties involved have some responsibility. Be it for your fellow boater, passengers or yourself. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Can't agree with the "everyone needs to look out for me" theory. I was raised that you lookout for yourself when young, and your kids when you have them...while teaching them to lookout for themselves.

All parties involved have some responsibility. Be it for your fellow boater, passengers or yourself. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
I agree, trust me, I grew up learning to ski in LB Marine Stadium in the 70's on the weekends. You think Parker is narrow and busy, its nothing compared to Marine Stadium, as a kid I learned quick how to lookout for myself - literally.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

Exactly. I trust no one on the river. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been passed on the river without knowing it was coming. And all of my boats have gone about 65 tops. So it would be easy for a big cat to pass me real quick.

Head is on a swivel and keep your line if someone is starting to pass you. Always assume the person you're passing is about to make a stupid move.

wzuber

Reaction score
Always assume the person you're passing is about to make a stupid move.

unfortunately, this is what it's come to these days with so many people and various water sports activities going on all at the same time these days. I've learned thru a couple wtf moments to expect the other people to do the dumbest thing imaginable right in front of me and drive accordingly because they typically do, especially the wave runner crowd. Hell even on the roadways this applies more and more as well. People just don't pay attention and think or give consideration to anyone other than themselves anymore.

wzuber

Reaction score
. If they didnt tow this shit wouldnt have happened and the young man would still have his arm

so you thought it was a good idea to tell a grieving father he was at fault for causing his kids accident because he allowed him to go tubing or was pulling him tubing? you don't suppose he's come to that conclusion on his own at this point? Are you surprised at his response? I'm not. Would you have said the same thing to him in the exact same manner face to face? I doubt it. Does "to soon" come to mind? shesh. Note: his response is a clear indication of just how tore up he is about it just in case that isn't clear to you. Can you grasp that concept? Just because you can say shit (all cozy safe at home on your keyboard) doesn't mean you should
I guess everyone should just stay at home all safe and cozy because something bad could happen while outside. That's good liven right there. haha The covid democrats would be happy though so there's that. haha
Hindsight is always 20/20. That's where wisdom comes from, learning from situations that had a less than desirable outcome thru retrospection of the event. I'm certain the captains, both of them, will choose differently in the future as a result of this situation. Hell, I will and will share this story with my stepson and his friends in hopes of them learning from it too. Very sad for all involved, all their lives will no longer be the same as a result of this accident. The best that we can hope for as self actualizing humans is that everyone learns all they can as a result of it.

wzuber

Reaction score
If you go walking down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood thumbing through a wad of 20s, you might not be to blame when you get rolled, but you should have known better.

assuming you know it's a bad area and all.
It still doesn't make it right or justified to get rolled. That too is illegal, same as running over somebody in the street, river whatever.

It's incumbent upon the boat operator (aka captain), to operate their vessel in a safe manner....wait for it.... for the CONDITIONS. He clearly failed to do so......PERIOD!!!!!

If a log was floating down the river and you hit it....was it the logs fault or yours?

The driver of the accused boat should have expected the passengers of the towable to eject at any moment and anticipated as such by either slowing down and giving ample room for him to avoid any such occurrence or changing course completely to go around and avoid any BODY that might suddenly appear in his path/course.
It's that phoking simple and his absolute phoking responsibility....all phoking day...every phoking day.......

WYRD

Reaction score
It still doesn't make it right or justified to get rolled. That too is illegal, same as running over somebody in the street, river whatever.

It's incumbent upon the boat operator (aka captain), to operate their vessel in a safe manner....wait for it.... for the CONDITIONS. He clearly failed to do so......PERIOD!!!!!

If a log was floating down the river and you hit it....was it the logs fault or yours?

The driver of the accused boat should have expected the passengers of the towable to eject at any moment and anticipated as such by either slowing down and giving ample room for him to avoid any such occurrence or changing course completely to go around and avoid any BODY that might suddenly appear in his path/course.
It's that phoking simple and his absolute phoking responsibility....all phoking day...every phoking day.......
Nobody is disputing that fact. Other boat driver was legally at fault. Both parties can still be negligent.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

This Thread has now come down to comparing Logs To Humans?

:(

oldschool

Reaction score
Holy run on sentences Batman! I didn't realize 4:30 was the time to eat stupid asses. Hell, it seems a bit early to be eating any ass.
Ronnie MAC will tell you that any time is a good time for some ass eatin.
6D0A6DE7-6FC7-4C51-8268-2E9EC477CCD1.jpeg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Also, I'll add into the discussion...
The "Captain" is responsible for their occupants and vessel.....

BOTH Captains...

Which probably has been mentioned many times over...

DaveH

Reaction score
oh really?

trying wearing a trump shirt and MAGA hat in down town Portland right now in the middle of the chaos.

think you would be attacked? duh.

yet you were there legally.

at what point does PURE STUDITY factor into the outcome of one's actions anymore? apparently it doesn't with this type of attitude most people have. we are all just victims here in this country anymore.

Duramax

Reaction score
Multiple things on this thread have me concerned....

How many people think the captain of the tow boat has little or no responsibility. "It is his right to enjoy the river"

Just how fucking stupid most people are. It is amazing that these people get this far in life, let alone purchase a boat.

The, "everyone should look out for me crowd"

Amazing..

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
oh really?

trying wearing a trump shirt and MAGA hat in down town Portland right now in the middle of the chaos.

think you would be attacked? duh.

yet you were there legally.

at what point does PURE STUDITY factor into the outcome of one's actions anymore? apparently it doesn't with this type of attitude most people have. we are all just victims here in this country anymore.
It comes from the safety first mentality. People and policies are put in place "for your safety" but as others have said, those policies dont mean shit if someone doesnt follow them. Yes, that person is likely to be at fault, however MOST situations you can avoid putting yourself in those positions for others to injure you by looking out for your OWN safety. But, its much easier to just put the blame on someone that didnt follow the procedure you you expected them to follow,

You know what they say about ASSUMING....... Makes an ASS out of U and I.

That is definitely the case here. THe tuber ASSUMED other operators would look out for him and the operator either ASSUMED the water was clear (didnt see the tuber go down or what not) or ASSUMED the tuber wouldnt fall off when he was too close to maneuver around.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score

Hell no it's not worth it. As with anything, there is always a risk; driving, boating, walking, pretty much anything. We all put our lives in others' hands when doing most things, especially driving and boating. I think most of us here practice defensive driving and boating. I always assume people cant see me even though I am in a boat, or a big truck. Now think of someone with just a head above the water line, you are taking the calculation out of the calculated risk. No way I am putting anyone, much less my kid in a boating lane and hope someone sees them if they fall off.

I'm with you, I'm finding a cove or we ain't tubing.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Personally when I see a tuber and it’s a tight part or there’s too much traffic I just shut it down. People on the dam run know that’s true, because I did it twice while running to the dam. It’s not worth a risk to me. I’m not really in any hurry. Shut it down, go over my options, and continue boating. I don’t Assume everyone will do the same if I’m towing my kids though. Matter of fact, that weekend was the very first time I did tow my kids. I was over protective, making sure I was in full control of the situation. My kids are scared if they are in the water alone, and it’s my job to make sure they are protected. I was making hard turns and making sure I got back to them immediately. I had my brother and my wife on board, and told them be very vocal. If I can’t see behind me because I’m looking in front, I need you to be loud enough so I can hear what’s going on behind me. In all honesty it’s a little nerve racking. My kids are little and I would never forgive myself if I let something happen. I’m sure as I do it more it will be more fun and less stress, but getting complacent is never good

wzuber

Reaction score
This Thread has now come down to comparing Logs To Humans?

:(
no you dip shit.......it was stated to make the point of responsibility of the CAPTAIN to.... pay fucking attention...... to his responsibility (aka task) at hand and see and..... AVOID..... ANY AND ALL OBSTICLES in the water. Clear enough for you NOW??????? good gawd....could you be = more dense?

wzuber

Reaction score
Nobody is disputing that fact. Other boat driver was legally at fault. Both parties can still be negligent.
TRUE,
however, demeaning the captain and the injured victim because they chose to do what people go to the river for "do water sports activities" in the actual water. What may seem obvious to you/others/us from "the very convoluted story we've heard here" and the PERSPECTIVE OF HINDSIGHT was perceived completely different from the actual participants at the actual time of the incident and they made their choice accordingly. I'm certain that had they been afforded the benefit of looking into the FUTURE to see what their insuing FATE was they would have chosen differently. Ever hear the phrase "live and learn"? Pretty much where it comes from. Have you ever made a choice in you life where you received a result different than what you anticipated? I'd bet $$$ you have, I know I have.

wzuber

Reaction score
9 pages of speculation since nobody was there .
exactly......also judging, belittling, demeaning people for making a choice that anyone of us could have made with the same info. at THAT time. Absurd comes to mind.

WYRD

Reaction score
TRUE,
however, demeaning the captain and the injured victim because they chose to do what people go to the river for "do water sports activities" in the actual water. What may seem obvious to you/others/us from "the very convoluted story we've heard here" and the PERSPECTIVE OF HINDSIGHT was perceived completely different from the actual participants at the actual time of the incident and they made their choice accordingly. I'm certain that had they been afforded the benefit of looking into the FUTURE to see what their insuing FATE was they would have chosen differently. Ever hear the phrase "live and learn"? Pretty much where it comes from. Have you ever made a choice in you life where you received a result different than what you anticipated? I'd bet $$$ you have, I know I have.
Absolutely, we all have and I'm sure others have talked a lot of shit about my stupid decisions as well. Newsflash, this is what happens on the internet, it's not like any of us are actually investigating the incident.

WYRD

Reaction score
no you dip shit.......it was stated to make the point of responsibility of the CAPTAIN to.... pay fucking attention...... to his responsibility (aka task) at hand and see and..... AVOID..... ANY AND ALL OBSTICLES in the water. Clear enough for you NOW??????? good gawd....could you be = more dense?
Way to keep it classy my friend 👍

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
In case i end up at the bottom of the lake or with a bullet to the brain Here is the threats from the dad
View attachment 924938 View attachment 924940 View attachment 924942 View attachment 924943

i like how he gave me the thumbs up on my last response to him.

Man, just because it's internet doesn't meant that you cannot be touched. Is it really worth it? Talking shit to a father who's son just lost an arm and almost his life? You poke the bear you might get attacked.

Your ad here

Reaction score
He has every right to be in the water doing what he was doing. The boat that ran over him has every right to be in the water as well. The tuber takes a big safety risk when tubing because of other boats. Boaters have more risk because of the tubers. Lots of bad decisions on both parties but what do you do? Not go tubing? Not go boating? Risk were taken and an accident happened. This is a "who with more lug nuts" win scenario. Unfortunate. I doubt the boat driver intentionally ran over the guy. If he had suspected he hit someone he should've stopped. Hit and runs happen. At least it sounds like the victim will live and hopefully a fair trial will be had.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Way to keep it classy my friend 👍
yore welcome my friend. haha
ya, guess I could have used a different term or two and accomplished the same thing. It seemed what was necessary to help him get a clue at the time since he's so dense. I'll do better next time. I guess I still have a bit of work to do in that area. Thanks for the reminder. Have a good one.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
If I was a Dad with a son in the hospital with no arm and had a guy that knows absolutely no facts about the situation giving me shit, I'd be pissed off too. Not homicide pissed off, but pissed off nonetheless. Nothing personal against you Dirtbag, but don't you think it is the wrong time and place?
I didnt start the conversation. He engaged me in a private pm. Again i feel for the man and his son.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
dont think many people are blaming the victim. im certainly not. Im blaming the captain. Are we not responsible for the lives of our crew as captains of the boat?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
so you thought it was a good idea to tell a grieving father he was at fault for causing his kids accident because he allowed him to go tubing or was pulling him tubing?
perhaps your reading comprehension is off. I participated in a facebook post in which everyone was blaming the boat who struck the young man. I simply said why are we not blaming the captain who put the people in the water. The captain is responsible for his/her crew. It was a woman captain not this young mans dad. I have no idea who this guy is. I was just pointing out the the victims should be blaming the captain that is all.

Are you surprised at his response? I'm not. Would you have said the same thing to him in the exact same manner face to face? I doubt it.
Ill say it to anyones face that if they put people in harms way they are fuckin morons. For those here that know me. Im pretty sure they would say i dont have a problem expressing my thoughts to anyone at anytime.

Does "to soon" come to mind? shesh. Note: his response is a clear indication of just how tore up he is about it just in case that isn't clear to you. Can you grasp that concept? Just because you can say shit (all cozy safe at home on your keyboard) doesn't mean you should

again he came after me in private pms. perhaps you should go back and read what i said to him.

Hindsight is always 20/20. That's where wisdom comes from, learning from situations that had a less than desirable outcome thru retrospection of the event. I'm certain the captains, both of them, will choose differently in the future as a result of this situation.

no fuckin shit. this was my whole fuckin point mr high and mighty. A valuable lesson was learned in a very unfortunate circumstance. And hopefully captains everywhere read that they are responsible for their crew!

Looking Glass

Reaction score
yore welcome my friend. haha
ya, guess I could have used a different term or two and accomplished the same thing. It seemed what was necessary to help him get a clue at the time since he's so dense. I'll do better next time. I guess I still have a bit of work to do in that area. Thanks for the reminder. Have a good one.

WELL, If you have Calmed down and the Blood Pressure is under control you never did explain what the "LOG" had to do with this. o_O

Looking Glass

Reaction score

Some compare Apples TO Oranges

OTHERS

Logs TO Humans.

There is No Explanation, it is just what it is.🤔

🤣

wzuber

Reaction score
Some compare Apples TO Oranges

OTHERS

Logs TO Humans.

There is No Explanation, it is just what it is.🤔

🤣
clearly you work for CNN as a reporter as you have no clue about context. don't you have some dry paint to go watch dry?