WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FE 390 Ford guys

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
What are you all running for a distributor.
M cousin's flatly need some love , his dad the boat original owner loved duel points . I hate them and they are holding the motor back . Think the MSD 8595 all in one would be cool , but the reviews are not good.
The pro billet is nice but have to put a box somewhere.

Thoughts

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
I converted the original stinger setup on mine to electronic, works perfect, hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years now...
20190104_171224.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
M cousin's flatly need some love , his dad the boat original owner loved duel points . I hate them and they are holding the motor back . Think the MSD 8595 all in one would be cool , but the reviews are not good.

Thoughts
MSD stands for My Spark Disappeared.

I’d do the pertronix kit.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I think we will start off with a Pertronix kit first. We have a sprit mag on the shelf but it needs a advance piece was blowing the sparkplugs ends off.

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with that, when I had my motor apart, thinking about it now I had the distributor rebuilt and curved, in my opinion money well spent, might want to do that depending on how old yours is

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Gut the original, replace the bushings and put a Pertronix in it. They are damn reliable.

Most folks who use MSD ignition systems do not install them correctly, or fail to use the proper isolators and capacitors to protect it.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I've had good luck replacing the points with a Pertronix unit, keep the same distributer and it all looks the same.
...Never had a bit of trouble Iwith my Petronix in my 406...Just make sure that you buy the more expensive of the two offered the inexpensive one if you accidentally leave your ignition on stands a pretty good chance of Frying... the more expensive one should you accidentally leave the ig. on your OK...

rightytighty

Reaction score

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Buddy ran this on his FE. Dead simple 12v hook, just up like a Chevy HEI.

We pulled a magneto off when it was consistently hard to get started. Maybe just a tired Mag , dunno.

I've run a few DUI distributors on projects, never had an issue, well except the one time I had to shave down the cap on the coil from hitting the hood on a 74 Bronco setup.

Been reliable though.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Buddy ran this on his FE. Dead simple 12v hook, just up like a Chevy HEI.

We pulled a magneto off when it was consistently hard to get started. Maybe just a tired Mag , dunno.

Ive been very happy with DUI.
that would be my choice if my mag wasn’t serviced bi annually by Cirello.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Gut the original, replace the bushings and put a Pertronix in it. They are damn reliable.

Most folks who use MSD ignition systems do not install them correctly, or fail to use the proper isolators and capacitors to protect it.
I put a lot of Pertronix guts in stock dizzies in boats. Never a problem at all.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Thoughts

The other thing you need to know is...

You must get a matching coil. They make a Pertronix 1, 2 and 3. One is basic, 3 is the multi spark unit. They all take different resistance coils.

Get the wrong coil, and the ignitor won't last too long! Ask me how I know...

:rolleyes: :p

bocco

Reaction score
So what about coils? I am thinking it might be time to replace my 23 year old Mercruiser coil with an MSD Blaster II.

Opinions?

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I'm getting the ignitor 2 and the blaster 2.

This is a Motorcraft distributor right ?
20200926_133046.jpg

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I use to have a Mallory unilite on my 351C back in the day. Looks like same stuff.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
So what about coils? I am thinking it might be time to replace my 23 year old Mercruiser coil with an MSD Blaster II.

Opinions?

MSD will leave you stranded. But that’s just from my experience. If I’m on the road it’s usually not a huge deal. On the water. It doesn’t work for me. Just my .02

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Anyone know what manifold this is ? I know its a FOMOCO , looks like 64 . But what is it , my uncle could not get a solid answer about when he was alive. No other numbers on it except for firing order.
20200926_142014.jpg
20200926_141948.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Cousin has 3 other sets at his shop have to check what he has .

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I don't know what he has for valves . I'm sure they are bigger. My uncle loved his 390's . One in the boat , one in his 34 Ford 2 on the shelf ready to put together.

4Waters

Reaction score
I don't know what he has for valves . I'm sure they are bigger. My uncle loved his 390's . One in the boat , one in his 34 Ford 2 on the shelf ready to put together.
If he changed the valves the most popular size was going to a Cobra jet valve 2.09 1.655, and I messed up they are low rise heads but if he changed the valves he probably ported them. C8AE are med rise and when you put the CJ valves in them they make great power.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I am with Brian on this, drop a Mag in and forget it. Engine will start faster which is easier on starters and batteries, no electronics other that a ground to kill it. for some reason these things get a bad rap, there is no voodoo with them they are the most simple distributor there is. My Dad ran one on a Boss 9 in his Sanger back in the day, no issues and the reason i run one

If you do this for the love of God do not purchase anything and I mean anything from Hunt mags, his caps are Chinese I bought 2 and both were cracked and I shocked the shit of my self twice... I won't go into the rebuilt mag that worked for a week and Tom Cierello confirmed the thing was completely dead.

I just took the mag out of my flat last summer and dropped in a fresh one, that was the first time I had touched it, including wires and cap, since I built it in 1995. I wasn't having issues just felt that i had better check it. I took the old mag in and she is still charging hard.

Attachments

• IMG_0017[1].jpg
    IMG_0017[1].jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 124

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I am with Brian on this, drop a Mag in and forget it. Engine will start faster which is easier on starters and batteries, no electronics other that a ground to kill it. for some reason these things get a bad rap, there is no voodoo with them they are the most simple distributor there is. My Dad ran one on a Boss 9 in his Sanger back in the day, no issues and the reason i run one

If you do this for the love of God do not purchase anything and I mean anything from Hunt mags, his caps are Chinese I bought 2 and both were cracked and I shocked the shit of my self twice... I won't go into the rebuilt mag that worked for a week and Tom Cierello confirmed the thing was completely dead.

I just took the mag out of my flat last summer and dropped in a fresh one, that was the first time I had touched it, including wires and cap, since I built it in 1995. I wasn't having issues just felt that i had better check it. I took the old mag in and she is still charging hard.
My cousin is talking about sending it in for repair. Ordered the ignitor 2 and flame thrower 2 in the meantime.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
CAUTION..... Be careful, the distributor drive gear also drives the OIL PUMP, and unless it has been upgraded the drive is a simple 5/16ths hex shaft... There are some critical dimensions that must be maintained when replacing factory stuff with aftermarket stuff...
IMO, I doubt the dual points are "holding you back". Spark is spark, if everything else is right remove one set of points, set the dwell @ 30*, and dial in your max advance for best performance. (There is a spring tab under the point plate to set rate of advance spring tension). Dual points were installed to allow more "soak time" (up to 32-42** dwell) to fire high compression engines back when we had 102 octane street gas and 12:1 street engines were common... Remember the "KISS" principle, it means a lot out on the water with very few spare parts..
Ray
PS IMO, the 427 8v FE was one of the best factory engines ever made. Sure made a 57 Ford wagon a great "street sleeper" when used with a built 4 speed Hydro and a 3.89:1 gear....

sintax

Reaction score

can you expand on this? any documents or anything?