WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey LAM! I just picked up a 98’ Nighthawk!

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Well I technically picked her up about a month ago. A coworker that’s about to retire was cleaning house to be able to go full time in a class a and this was one of the things buried in his Oceanside garage. The bike last ran in 2011 and needed some “major” tlc to get her up and running again. He knew I was looking for a commuter bike and told me that if I was up to the task and put some work into her, that I could have her for free. Next thing I know, I’m on my way home with a Nighthawk loaded up in the back of my S10. About $600 in parts and a couple of alcohol induced weekends later, and this is how she currently sits. My biggest obstacle was flushing the 3 gallons of 9 year old varnish and rust sludge out of the tank. Holy shit was that a pain in the ass. I still need to adjust and sync the carbs and she should be road worthy. I’m completely lost on where to begin in that aspect so I might take it to a shop to have it done right the first time. Anyone else into metrics?

960CF2D9-F1EB-449D-83A0-DEC169E6C554.jpeg

Last edited:

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200 that would clog up the carbs if I did not ride it for a month... AAA towed it to the dealer a few times, then I sold it.

Having the carbs taken apart for a proper cleaning ain't cheap, get the factory manual and have a crack at it, finding any chemicals capable of "cleaning" these days in Kalifornia is another problem....

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200 that would clog up the carbs if I did not ride it for a month... AAA towed it to the dealer a few times, then I sold it.

Having the carbs taken apart for a proper cleaning ain't cheap, get the factory manual and have a crack at it, finding any chemicals capable of "cleaning" these days in Kalifornia is another problem....

I pulled the carbs apart and had them soaking in Berrymans chemdip before throwing them in the parts “cooker” at work. Bought the dynojet kit and rebuilt them with new internals. Luckily for me, they weren’t that bad. A majority of the shit was caught by the vacuum operated petcock. I’m having trouble adjusting them under the non California specs that didn’t have the emissions crap.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I’ve been running non- ethanol gas in my carb Honda 175 , big difference ! Doesn’t evaporate and leave a residue.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot this was a boteing site....sorry fellas 😂