WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Future Generation custom boat buyers (new)

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The Lavey Craft thread brings one of several subjects to light: New custom boat sales.

I’m sure this board has a much higher rate of next generation new “custom“ boat buyers , but outside of here, I’m thinking a big drop in demand of custom made boats by future generations.

Looking back at 25 years of boating, camping, etc up and down the River, I’ve kept in touch with a lot of “River friends”

Of those with kids that have grown, a small percentage continued to buy new or used custom (non mass produced) boats.
Most adult kids I was around switched to wake board, mass produced stuff.

Am I the only one seeing this or have others ?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yep. Wakeboard and pontoon “assembly line” boat sales are destroying custom boat sales. It’s still a “custom” experience and you don’t have to wait months.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I am one who grew up with custom boats from a 91’ ultra 21lx with. 350 to a 99 daytona with a blown 540 then a nordic 29 deck with a blown 540. When it came time I bought a ultra 23 lx with a 496. Other friends who grew up boating never bought a boat. The only thing I can see is it really easy to buy/finance a wake Boat or pontoon.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Lavey needs to make the 21 walk thru with an inner liner and walk thru transom option with an outboard or 6.2 for 75k. Belly tank and big open gunnels to fit wakeboards. Insert for windshield registers... Thats what I want and I would be a buyer. I'm 38 by the way and currently own a "custom" Essex but as of now an gently used Centurion or Supreme is appealing.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I think it has to do with the functionality of the boat. Wake boats are dual purpose, as in cruising and water sports. Pontoons are dual purpose as well, in cruising (faster now with twin outboards) and cruising with a lot of people drinking...lol

Custom West Coast boats are mostly about going fast on a lake with not much else, yes some do water sports but not like a wake boats.

Just my opinion.

hallett21

Reaction score
29. The boat I own today was finished in September of 90 and I was born March 91. It’s a part of our family and I cannot ever see it leaving the stable. I had to put a new floor/bulkhead in it 2 years ago. And it’ll need an interior/motor but it keeps boating affordable for us.

Plan on building a 27 Hallett or Lavey/Howard equivalent in the next 5-10 years. My biggest issue is I want to own rental properties, build a forever home with a shop for our business, as well as have kids. So I need 3 savings accounts with 150k a piece lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
I'm 39. Have boated since I was 5. The number of custom boaters is dropping for sure.

Hoping to build new in the near future.

Same age group as you, we were out last week and our group was 50/50 custom vs "bayliner" type

Even though most people finance, i think its tough to stomach that hit. I heard a few guys in the group talking about getting a new Yamaha jet boat, and a couple talking about poontoons

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Doesn't help when boat prices have totally spiked. My father bought his Eliminator 20 hull for like $10k (less motor and jet) in 1983, which he had that done seperately. Now any boat is in the mid to high 100K range and that's pretty much the base packages. Its gone out of reach for a lot of people that were able to buy boats years ago when they were more affordable.

It's kind of like what's going on with snow skiing. There's some wierd race to be the most expensive lift ticket. The industry complains skier/boarder days are down. Well duh! When it costs $150+ per adult just to get on the slopes and kids arent much cheaper, its a lot tougher proposition to make it a family weekend skiing or boarding. In the race for the high-end ski/boarding experience they've removed large portions of the population that still want to do it but its out of their price range.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Part of it is the younger generations can’t afford it. They are still going to school for their PHD with no job in mind, live with their parents, and can’t buy a house.

PilotRyan

Reaction score
29. The boat I own today was finished in September of 90 and I was born March 91. It’s a part of our family and I cannot ever see it leaving the stable. I had to put a new floor/bulkhead in it 2 years ago. And it’ll need an interior/motor but it keeps boating affordable for us.

Plan on building a 27 Hallett or Lavey/Howard equivalent in the next 5-10 years. My biggest issue is I want to own rental properties, build a forever home with a shop for our business, as well as have kids. So I need 3 savings accounts with 150k a piece lol.

I like where your head is at. I’m 24 and own an ‘87 Baker Custom Tunnel. I lost my flying job and have transitioned into a high end sales job with a short term goal of stashing as much away as possible. Goal is in 5 years to be self sufficient with rental properties and side gigs with kids on the way.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yep. Wakeboard and pontoon “assembly line” boat sales are destroying custom boat sales. It’s still a “custom” experience and you don’t have to wait months.

but you also have to wonder where the F these kids are getting the money? I run into more and more 30 year old kids with quarter million dollar wake boats, and I'm thinking WTF? for a Quarter Mill it's gotta have twins! :D.

RD

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Part of it is the younger generations can’t afford it. They are still going to school for their PHD with no job in mind, live with their parents, and can’t buy a house.

True,
Some are doing okay

Three of my friend’s kids grew up riding in my 84’ Eliminator Liberty jet boat. Their Dads had sea doos and pontoons.
All three are Cops, married , with kids snd all own homes in so cal at 27 years old.
None of them own boats . They claim they’d rather do the beach and dirt bike ride over the river.

The demand is less for several reasons even with millennials that can afford boats.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I literally just got off a 1/2 hour conference call with a boat mfg, where they are bringing back two smaller models and offering them in varying stages to bring the price points into realistic #'s for young buyers.

RD

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I think it has to do with the functionality of the boat. Wake boats are dual purpose, as in cruising and water sports. Pontoons are dual purpose as well, in cruising (faster now with twin outboards) and cruising with a lot of people drinking...lol

Custom West Coast boats are mostly about going fast on a lake with not much else, yes some do water sports but not like a wake boats.

Just my opinion.

The Howard 255 VTX is changing that. There has never been a better dual purpose boat. It is the ultimate boat for water sports, yet still looks like a West Coast custom boat and can hit some incredible top end numbers. It's not going to push a wave you can surf on, but that could be achieved if thats what someone really wanted.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My son grew up with us either at the river boating or in the dunes off-roading. Predominantly he has set his sights on off-roading and has the toys & trailer for that hobby. At the same time he still thoroughly loves the boating but has expressed more of a desire to have a pontoon vs any fiberglass boat.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Two pieces of the puzzle I think are going to effect new custom builds from the younger generation...

1) manufacturers have openly targeted the big boat builds for obvious $$ reasons. They’ve just about eliminated any entry level size builds (21’-23’). The problem is those bigger boat builds and that customer age have a shelf life if you’re not inviting the younger generation.

2) the younger generation has grown up in an era of instant gratification. They want everything now. The internet and cell phones that are basically handheld computers has led to instant availability.

I guess if there was a third reason it would be financing and floored boats. For the most part you can pick your Mastercraft out, move to financing, and have your boat rather quickly. Almost like buying a car. That’s not happening in the custom builder market. As someone said earlier Nordic would be the closest to that model and even that is a wait.

hallett21

Reaction score
Interceptor boats needs to get it together and build that 25 OB. With a 300 they were offering it at 80k right?

attitude

Reaction score
I’m 25 and currently have no boat. When it comes time to buy a boat I will never buy a production boat, that just isn’t my style. I don’t like to do water sports nor do I like the look of production style boats so there is no point for me to buy one. The question is when will it be time for my generation to be able to afford new builds. Right now my priority is to buy a house and when a 4 bed 2 bath in Norco costs 600k there won’t be any money left over in the budget for a 200k speedster lol. Hopefully in the next few years as my one year old gets older and my girlfriend and I don’t work opposite schedules a used 25 Daytona or 27 Lavey ends up in the garage, and sometime in the next 10 years I can do a new build on a 25 speedster. For now the couple of times a year we are able to go to the river I will continue to go with my parents.

attitude

Reaction score
Interceptor boats needs to get it together and build that 25 OB. With a 300 they were offering it at 80k right?

I believe it was in the 60s but that price didn’t include a trailer.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The Howard 255 VTX is changing that. There has never been a better dual purpose boat. It is the ultimate boat for water sports, yet still looks like a West Coast custom boat and can hit some incredible top end numbers. It's not going to push a wave you can surf on, but that could be achieved if thats what someone really wanted.

True, but that boat is over a year wait and cost about 150k. and its not all that big.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I think its purely price . Anything under 25 feet and you get your ass kicked even in parker now . We spend 30 plus days at the river every year but that does not justify the cost of a new boat . Barely justifies the cost of the mobile home too . We decided to put a pool in with the money and keep running the boat we have .

DMF

Reaction score
I’m 25 and currently have no boat. When it comes time to buy a boat I will never buy a production boat, that just isn’t my style. I don’t like to do water sports nor do I like the look of production style boats so there is no point for me to buy one. The question is when will it be time for my generation to be able to afford new builds. Right now my priority is to buy a house and when a 4 bed 2 bath in Norco costs 600k there won’t be any money left over in the budget for a 200k speedster lol. Hopefully in the next few years as my one year old gets older and my girlfriend and I don’t work opposite schedules a used 25 Daytona or 27 Lavey ends up in the garage, and sometime in the next 10 years I can do a new build on a 25 speedster. For now the couple of times a year we are able to go to the river I will continue to go with my parents.
Keep your eye on the ball and working hard toward your goals! It will all fall into place the way it is supposed to.

traquer

Reaction score
I'm 34, grew up on the river. Drove the boat solo at age 10, towing dad down the river waterskiing at 6 in the morning. Had jet skis and other things over the years. Rode in a flatty and got hooked on speed when I was like 20. Bought my first boat at 30, an older Essex with 454 mag great boat did 65 GPS all day. Ridden in the same hull essex at 95mph too in a friends boat. I can't imagine ever buying a slow boat...

Currently investing into my business and real estate, so no time for big boat purchase, but it's in the cards.

I see the price and the wait being the holdback for most millennials. Either that or they have no testosterone and don't care about going fast as fuck. The river is all about catchng some rays, drinking and hanging out with girls in Bikinis. I can have a fast boat and still do all that stuff once we park in the cove. I could care less about driving the boat all day watching someone surf the same damn wake forever.

attitude

Reaction score
Keep your eye on the ball and working hard toward your goals! It will all fall into place the way it is supposed to.
I appreciate that! I was really wanting to buy in the beginning of next year when our lease is up but it’s scares the shit out of me that we are on the verge of another 2008 and my 600k house will be less than 400k shortly after I buy. But like you said everything happens for a reason so we will see what life gives us!

hallett21

Reaction score
Think that company is cursed....... I would trust Tahiti first.

Without a doubt.

They would crush it with a 25 open bow/mid cabin/closed bow V hull with a 300 outboard if they could keep the OTD cost under 80k

Mercury offers up to 8 years of warranty with the extended warranty.

70k loan at 8% for 10 years is just over $500 a month.

So feasibly you would not have to worry about much for the term of the loan. Boat is easy on gas, can fit 10 people no problem, docile around the docks and relatively easy to store.

No idea if you can build them for that $$$

Edit: at a minimum I expect a solvent company to be making 25-30% profit. So could they turn the above boat out for 56-60k?

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Custom power boats have always had a small market share. They can be problematic. I'm 39 with a wife and two young kids. I want something turn key, functional and versatile with different kinds of water sports. For me other than Parker when I go to a local lake, its all wake board boats or assembly line boats, i.e yamaha, chapparel, sea ray etc. You do do see a few power boats but not many.

RodnJen

Reaction score
I think it is more macro, rather than just the micro economics of the custom boating industry. What I mean is that people are less drawn to that lifestyle, regardless of their income level, and the inherent work that goes into high-level boating. Very few of my friends that I grew up with, or went to college with, own boats. They all choose different hobbies or vacation lifestyles that do not include the prep, care and maintenance of performance boating.

I don't know that the ratio of boat owning friends has actually changed much either. It is, however, increasingly difficult to own a home that includes sufficient parking for such hobbies. which IMHO is a contributing factor.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
but you also have to wonder where the F these kids are getting the money? I run into more and more 30 year old kids with quarter million dollar wake boats, and I'm thinking WTF? for a Quarter Mill it's gotta have twins! :D.

RD

When you are driving a leased $90K truck for $1000/month, a $250K boat payment for 20 years is small.

Or its a "family" boat that someone else bought or owns.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
True, but that boat is over a year wait and cost about 150k. and its not all that big.

I was a buyer at around $100K... for $150K no way, I'd just go buy a 26 Nordic deck for that money.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Two pieces of the puzzle I think are going to effect new custom builds from the younger generation...

1) manufacturers have openly targeted the big boat builds for obvious $$ reasons. They’ve just about eliminated any entry level size builds (21’-23’). The problem is those bigger boat builds and that customer age have a shelf life if you’re not inviting the younger generation.

2) the younger generation has grown up in an era of instant gratification. They want everything now. The internet and cell phones that are basically handheld computers has led to instant availability.

I guess if there was a third reason it would be financing and floored boats. For the most part you can pick your Mastercraft out, move to financing, and have your boat rather quickly. Almost like buying a car. That’s not happening in the custom builder market. As someone said earlier Nordic would be the closest to that model and even that is a wait.

This is exactly right. The custom MFGs have figured out there is less work and more margin in building fewer, more expensive boats per year.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
39, life long boater, have owned a myriad of different brands, types, sizes, and speeds.

1- The custom stuff is VERY expensive!

2- The custom stuff is a long wait typically.

3- INSURANCE!!! Nobody has mentioned this yet. 2019 Malibu wake boat. $150k deal. Its $53 a month! My 25 Daytona with twin OB is $250 a month! Its hard enough to write the check for a payment, its another whole conversation to write it for the insurance!

4- STORAGE!!! I get that you have to store any boat, but its still a HUGE cost. Most houses don't have the room! Its pretty easy to soak up $300 a month on storage!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Without a doubt.

They would crush it with a 25 open bow/mid cabin/closed bow V hull with a 300 outboard if they could keep the OTD cost under 80k

Mercury offers up to 8 years of warranty with the extended warranty.

70k loan at 8% for 10 years is just over $500 a month.

So feasibly you would not have to worry about much for the term of the loan. Boat is easy on gas, can fit 10 people no problem, docile around the docks and relatively easy to store.

No idea if you can build them for that $$$

Edit: at a minimum I expect a solvent company to be making 25-30% profit. So could they turn the above boat out for 56-60k?

Then perhaps most of the custom boat builders don't know the cost to build really is, they have an idea on the hard items they buy (motor/drive/ gauges, etc,) but do they really know from start to finish? Then they could price it out accordingly. That is why I think builders go wild on builds cause its easier to make the money, than sell a smaller boat with less glam or power.

I would guess your margins are higher 30% + on higher end boats and more towards 15% on the lower end for a boat company.

hallett21

Reaction score
Then perhaps most of the custom boat builders don't know the cost to build really is, they have an idea on the hard items they buy (motor/drive/ gauges, etc,) but do they really know from start to finish? Then they could price it out accordingly. That is why I think builders go wild on builds cause its easier to make the money, than sell a smaller boat with less glam or power.

I would guess your margins are higher 30% + on higher end boats and more towards 15% on the lower end for a boat company.

I have to imagine the Nordic/Halletts, Howard’s, DCBs etc know exactly what they cost.

It’s not hard to have employees fill out time sheets showing what boats they were working on. So you could track your labor.

Maybe the employees don’t handle this but a shop Forman could log everyone’s time.

Motors etc are a hard cost plus mark up like you said.

How much of the building space the build takes up would be a little tricky. (Rent per sq ft, per boat etc)

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I’m 32, 2 kids (3&5). Bought my Advantage from my dad 5 years ago. Biggest problem I see with my age group is nobody wants to spend money. Friends that go to the lake with us every year, I was trying to talk them into a starter boat (21-24 Lavey, 22 Advantage w/ 496) and told them you could pick one up for ~$35k (precovid) and they about fell on the floor in shock. I’m like seriously..? We’re all active duty military officers so I know how much they make...literally the same paycheck as me lol

Everyone wants a $5k used POS with a 150 outboard that they can just leave uncovered outside. There’s no custom culture in my age group (granted I’m on the east coast).

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I'm 34 and own a 24' V and am looking at getting into 25 daytona, pricing on these almost 30 years old is still insane. Building one for 100k plus is not in the cards as I am inherently cheap and being commission only i try to keep overhead down.

All my buddies getting into the river scene are looking at Yamaha and pontoon boats. They don't get why you would pay more money for less features just to "go fast."

They have a point, when you look at the features a production boat gives you vs custom boats that are basically a drive and motor.....

PilotRyan

Reaction score
Custom boat builders exist for a multitude of reasons, and go out of business for a multitude of reasons as well but there’s two or three that stand out in my eyes:

They exist because:

-people who seek out a level of quality and craftsmanship in their vehicles/homes/appliances are always going to go for the nicer stuff, and they are willing to pay for it

-people who LOVE boating and have a personal ideal of what a boat is supposed to be are going to desire a special boat, and whether or not they can swing it in that moment is irrelevant because they will do what it takes to own one some day

-from the same group of people that love boating, you get that special bunch that are so obsessed and so rooted in the culture that they become boat builders set out to evolve the industry and offer a superior product BUT;

They fall because:

-those passionate custom boat builders get into it not because of money, but because of the reasons listed above

-I think it’s safe to say that most of boating society has been led to follow the trend of showing up to bass pro or your nearest boat dealership and being talked into the cookie cutter model SunTracker pontoon or Glastron runabout. It’s easy, it’s attainable, you don’t have to work for it.

-There’s only so much market space, and up until Coronavirus I’m pretty sure there was an overall market decline of boat sales because technology has taken over. People want to stay inside and play video games and watch television shows where other people are using their boats instead. That vicarious sense of fun and enjoyment is very real with none of the responsibility of actually owning it.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I think about this every damn day. Turing 35 next week. I own my home and my cars, similar story with wanting to start a family, and trying to get into a larger home.

Another factor, is that a boat has been in the family already. Probably similar situation for others having grown up on the river. So, as long as my dad lets me take the keys (spoiled I know), I don't need to buy my own boat. That being said, I have 'two-foot-itis" because OF having unlimited access to a boat (even more spoiled, I know), and would want something bigger than the 240. Like a 285 or a 290. Just no way to have $150k and change to make it happen. I would definitely put myself in the category of wanting to keep the custom industry alive by buying a new build. But there is also no sense in buying a used boat, when we have the 240 to run, and we are making investments to keep her up. I don't want to buy a boat even 3-4 years old and have to make the same repairs, and maintenance we just did on the 240.

My dad, didn't have a boat, and was introduced to the river later in life, and bought his boats. Boating is all I've known, and have never been boat less. Its a different situation these days vs. when the custom scene blew up in the 70's, 80's into the 90's. The Boat Pricing I feel too, is kind of like a "Defibrillator" to keep the doors open. It is just stupid what kinda $$$,$$$.$$ are required to bring one of these boats home.

Financially, I don't get it, I see alot people younger then me with older kids, in a $250,000 DockCrusher, Denali HD truck, Razor SXS, toyhauler, $800K-$1mil single family home, kids all have nicer cell phones then I do. etc. etc. Just never adds up. Makes my head spin.

I'm in a 2bed condo, bought it at great price, its up $200K, the wife and I are pulling a good chunk. We have some nice things, but don't feel that we live much beyond our means. I want to get into a single family home, and get our family started, without selling the condo, I'd like to keep the condo as a rental, and not have to sell it to create the cash needed to buy a $800K home. Also, won't mortgage the house for the sake of having a new boat.

I feel like I've been completely priced out of the hobby, living in COMIFORNIA doesn't help either. Just even thinking about a Suburban to have as a family hauler, makes my head spin, an LE I think starts at $50K, z71 in the high $60's, that is more then what I put down on the condo. I've got a 10 year old Sierra I will need to drive until the wheels fall off.

What other avenues are there for a new build, that doesn't involve being completely irresponsible with DEBT, loans up to your eyeballs, and multiple leans against your home. Which I guess will never be my style. The old days of saving and paying in cash, seem fewer and farther between.

Part of me thinks too, I'm just not a wheeler/dealer, buying and selling and upgrading., aggressively, numerous times, until you get what you want.

There are alot of ways new boat purchases can be accomplished, there are enough people doing it. I haven't found the Magic Bullet yet. Nice Thread......relatable.

Wbinder

Reaction score
I’m 34 been boating all my life on the strip have a blown gas flat and also want to get into the ski racing deal. I fell like waterskiing is gunna make a huge comeback especially with the wraps becoming more popular. I just want a affordable cyclone,labsport, or force please haha

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I’m going to be 41 on Monday. I just can’t justify a $500 or more per month payment plus insurance and maintenance. To be able to use something 6 to 8 weekends a year. And each weekend will be over $1,000 by a good margin.

Not to mention storage.

It’s a huge investment that normally will only depreciate. And you can’t use as often.

I could always sell the Toyhauler, stop putting money in my 401k and stop putting money in the kids savings account and go buy the boat of my dreams....

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'm 61 and have friends with kids in the 25-30 range that I'm close with... I'd say I don't see a lot of ego driven macho alpha types in that generation frankly. And thats the demo that custom go fasts speak to right fellas. These guys have lived through some tough times already witnessing a financial collapse and now Covid and all this has an effect on how they view life. I think maybe for them the Juice ain't worth the Squeeze.

Earlier males were all about spending money we didn't have to get laid.... these kids are smarter. But they do get laid less, lol!

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind too is how the boat prices have adversely affected the boat manufacturers.

Back in the day when boats were cheaper most boat sales were a cash up front deal. Manufacturer took your cash and spent it on your boat manufacturing process (cost of materials, labor, things like the engine that they have to source, etc). And then when it was done you picked it up and they made their money off balancing their costs vs what you paid to get their profit margin.

Now today, boat prices being astronomical, most boat manufactures only get a portion of the boat price in cash as a down payment. The rest is usually financed by the buyer but the buyer doesn't have to come up with the remainder until the boat is done and ready for pickup. Here's the tough part, the manufacturer no longer has the money up front to pay their costs to build the boat. So where does this money come from? Well now it's subsidized by other boats that are in the pipeline with their down payments, or what's been bought and paid for already.

This puts the boat manufacturer in the precarious position of building a boat at their cost with their own money, or using the money from other orders in the hopes that the current order gets bought. One can see that a few failed purchases (buyer can't get the financing ultimately, or backs out) and the boat manufacturer is now in the red. Do that enough and their out of business.

Its wierd to think about it, but at this point, boat manufacturing is a shell game with other people's money. Trying to keep the money moved around to the things that sell so they can continue the process. The money you might put down for your own boat might never actually go towards your boat, but paying themselves for someone else's.

Miserable business to be in, in my opinion. The stress must eat you alive.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind too is how the boat prices have adversely affected the boat manufacturers.

Back in the day when boats were cheaper most boat sales were a cash up front deal. Manufacturer took your cash and spent it on your boat manufacturing process (cost of materials, labor, things like the engine that they have to source, etc). And then when it was done you picked it up and they made their money off balancing their costs vs what you paid to get their profit margin.

Now today, boat prices being astronomical, most boat manufactures only get a portion of the boat price in cash as a down payment. The rest is usually financed by the buyer but the buyer doesn't have to come up with the remainder until the boat is done and ready for pickup. Here's the tough part, the manufacturer no longer has the money up front to pay their costs to build the boat. So where does this money come from? Well now it's subsidized by other boats that are in the pipeline with their down payments, or what's been bought and paid for already.

This puts the boat manufacturer in the precarious position of building a boat at their cost with their own money, or using the money from other orders in the hopes that the current order gets bought. One can see that a few failed purchases (buyer can't get the financing ultimately, or backs out) and the boat manufacturer is now in the red. Do that enough and their out of business.

Its wierd to think about it, but at this point, boat manufacturing is a shell game with other people's money. Trying to keep the money moved around to the things that sell so they can continue the process. The money you might put down for your own boat might never actually go towards your boat, but paying themselves for someone else's.

Miserable business to be in, in my opinion. The stress must eat you alive.
Thats an unsustainable business model.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Thats an unsustainable business model.

Probably why the hundreds of custom boat manufacturers that existed in the 80s and 90's (i could be exaggerating slightly) have consolidated down to a few strong ones who bought other people's molds or names or both, and have advertised the hell out of themselves for other sustainable operations like service and repairs for any make they can get in the door. Building boats really isn't the money maker anymore. Service and repairs is what keeps most of these remaining afloat.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That 600k was 3 years ago. That’s around what I paid. Every house on my street for sale is around 800 😬😬

attitude

Reaction score
That 600k was 3 years ago. That’s around what I paid. Every house on my street for sale is around 800 😬😬
I’m not trying to buy in the ritzy part by you lol, there was a 4 bed on a full acre that sold for 600k a month or two ago but since then it seems nothing more than a half acre for 600k