WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Keeping it Old School! No LS Swap for me.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@monkeyswrench

Not much tuning available on a 93 Ford ECM. Not surprised it sounded different. You're probably lucky it even ran with a big cam in it! :p

@bonesfab knows a bit about the Holly EFI. You should talk to him if you wanna go that route. ;)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
@monkeyswrench

Not much tuning available on a 93 Ford ECM. Not surprised it sounded different. You're probably lucky it even ran with a big cam in it! :p

@bonesfab knows a bit about the Holly EFI. You should talk to him if you wanna go that route. ;)
They make aftermarket ecms if you want to get super crazy on a windsor efi. Otherwise its done the old school way. A MAF conversion and tricking the computer into doing what you want. On mine, I advanced the base timing at the distributor and bumped the fuel pressure to 60psi. I also used a recalibrated MAF for larger injectors.

A holly carb is how its gonna go on mine

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They make aftermarket ecms if you want to get super crazy on a windsor efi. Otherwise its done the old school way. A MAF conversion and tricking the computer into doing what you want. On mine, I advanced the base timing at the distributor and bumped the fuel pressure to 60psi. I also used a recalibrated MAF for larger injectors.

A holly carb is how its gonna go on mine

F Holly when it comes to carbs. They really have jumped the shark. Go with QuickFuel. The are just about spot on out of the box. So much better than Holly, Holly went and bought em up. :mad:

A bit more expensive, but so worth it: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/quick_fuel/

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@monkeyswrench

The "303" line of cams were all Motorsport efi compatible. I had lots of them...like @Shlbyntro said, maf got you some freedom. The speed density ones were burning eproms and pulling hair.

Then I got lazy...learned you could double the hp with the push of a button! Just had to mount that pretty blue bottle 😏

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Full Pull

Reaction score
In similar no LS fashion, a fresh but ugly 30 over 472 Cadillac to replace the worn out 429 in a beater ‘64 Coupe DeVille. Friend who did the swap for me said it was the worst engine swap they’ve ever done and “we should have LS’d it”. Nah...
303D7636-BAF6-4338-8D7F-80B43981DDE8.jpeg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
F Holly when it comes to carbs. They really have jumped the shark. Go with QuickFuel. The are just about spot on out of the box. So much better than Holly, Holly went and bought em up. :mad:

A bit more expensive, but so worth it: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/quick_fuel/

Gotta have that Holley name on the carb though. I have never had the pleasure of working with a Quick Fuel, and to be fair I also just assumed that it was a knockoff Holley, not that that was a bad thing. I have a wide variety of carbs across my toys, 2 Quadrabogs, a Weber, a Demon, and a Holley. This will be the 2nd Holley. They all have certain quirks, but if you understand them, you love them all equally for what they bring to the table.

It is my firm belief that a carburetor is what gives an engine, whether it be in a boat or a car, a soul.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Gotta have that Holley name on the carb though. I have never had the pleasure of working with a Quick Fuel, and to be fair I also just assumed that it was a knockoff Holley, not that that was a bad thing. I have a wide variety of carbs across my toys, 2 Quadrabogs, a Weber, a Demon, and a Holley. This will be the 2nd Holley. They all have certain quirks, but if you understand them, you love them all equally for what they bring to the table.

It is my firm belief that a carburetor is what gives an engine, whether it be in a boat or a car, a soul.

QFT was their own brand for years. They started getting Great reviews, so we decided to try one. Spot on right outa the box. Idle mixture screws worked perfectly, no accel pump/circuit mods required, and the electric chokes actually work! (The new Holly electric chokes will fail about 6 months out, you can set your calendar to it).

So we started stocking em. Sold the crap outa them, and then next thing you know, Holly bought em out.😡

Holly swore they would not make any changes to them, and I believe they stood by that. Why mess with success?

We sold a few a month at JMS. We never switched back to Holley.

I've been tuning Holley carbs for 40 plus years maybe? I know em well. I'll never buy one again.

Try one. I'll bet you feel the same way. 👍

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
This is cool!
I applaud the sentiment of keeping some of what made the classics classic in place when freshening them. The cool deal about hot rods is there is room for everyone, and every vision is valid. I kinda scratch my head with the way people follow "trends". if you really love the trend then go for it, but sometimes, talking to people about cars they have bought or built, I don't get the feeling they love the way things turned out, but they followed the trend because...well because it is the trend. Coolness in cars isn't a trend. It is building what you like, because you like it, the definition of coolness defies trendiness, ya know?
Cool is timeless.

Shelby you build that Cobra exactly how you want it. It ain't like ya can't put EFI on it later should you change yer mind. If you like it that is all that matters.

This...

Cars are a unique way to show a bit of your personality through your ride. I did a 66 Chevelle Resto. I changed 100% of everything, except the body. Kept it all Chevelle. I went the LS route (LS3). I had a core from a crate motor exchange I did. I was talking to Larry Pedo about the core and he told me DO NOT let that go, so I decided to use it on that build.

I do lots of show-n-shines. Love em. You get to see all these cars that are all connected to their owners personalities. It's there, if you're willing to listen to the stories of how they got the car, what they've done to it and what it is now. All the cars, connect all those people at these informal shows.

I occasionally overhear guys looking my car over, one will say to the other, "can you believe someone would do this to a 66 Chevelle"

Those are the purists. there's room for their opinion as well and it doesn't bother me in the least.

There is no right, there is no wrong.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Except when you put a Chevy in a Ford.
Damn kid. That's the same way I was...
Then I started seeing the light.

It's not like I'm shoving a Poncho into a Mustang...
...or a 350 into a Cobra, that's just wrong.

Hot rodders have swapped Brand X into cars since wrenches were invented. My old boss ordered a 56 Victoria in 56 with no motor or trans, and bought a Cadillac with a Hydro from Selman...way back then.

It'd all in what the owner wants! Different people, different ways.

bocco

Reaction score

Hot rodders have swapped Brand X into cars since wrenches were invented. My old boss ordered a 56 Victoria in 56 with no motor or trans, and bought a Cadillac with a Hydro from Selman...way back then.

I think it would be fun to have a 500in Caddy in a boat.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

Same way I've always been. To me, its disrespectful to the brand and disrespectful to the car.

Did I mention I grew up in a GM family? Lol

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
QFT was their own brand for years. They started getting Great reviews, so we decided to try one. Spot on right outa the box. Idle mixture screws worked perfectly, no accel pump/circuit mods required, and the electric chokes actually work! (The new Holly electric chokes will fail about 6 months out, you can set your calendar to it).

So we started stocking em. Sold the crap outa them, and then next thing you know, Holly bought em out.😡

Holly swore they would not make any changes to them, and I believe they stood by that. Why mess with success?

We sold a few a month at JMS. We never switched back to Holley.

I've been tuning Holley carbs for 40 plus years maybe? I know em well. I'll never buy one again.

Try one. I'll bet you feel the same way. 👍

Well you talked me into the quickfuel. Purchased a 650cfm "Brawler" with all my other engine components this morning

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

I'll leave this here.

Dan'l
Well, what I learned, being Ford was expensive. The Chevy guys laughed at the Ford guys for the cost of HiPo parts. The Ford guys did the same to the Mopar guys.. and we all did it to the ricers.
Speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go? In the 90's, it was good economic sense...still is now. A Coyote motor is twice the cost, and a pain in the ass (comparatively) to stand alone.
Same way I've always been. To me, its disrespectful to the brand and disrespectful to the car.

Did I mention I grew up in a GM family? Lol
I don't find it disrespectful at all. Most of the cars I build for myself tend to be one step shy of yard art. Putting an sbc where a flathead was is just another heart transplant. Most people may scrap what I build into a driver. If Ford currently built a motor about a foot narrower, easily obtained and had a good aftermarket support...I may switch again.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Well, what I learned, being Ford was expensive. The Chevy guys laughed at the Ford guys for the cost of HiPo parts. The Ford guys did the same to the Mopar guys.. and we all did it to the ricers.
Speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go? In the 90's, it was good economic sense...still is now. A Coyote motor is twice the cost, and a pain in the ass (comparatively) to stand alone.

I don't find it disrespectful at all. Most of the cars I build for myself tend to be one step shy of yard art. Putting an sbc where a flathead was is just another heart transplant. Most people may scrap what I build into a driver. If Ford currently built a motor about a foot narrower, easily obtained and had a good aftermarket support...I may switch again.

I have some serious hope for the new 7.3 gasser!Unfortunately I don't see a new small block in Fords immediate future. But Windsors are still plenty available and are much cheaper then transplanters would have you believe.

A brand new genuine Ford Performance intake manifold that I bought today was only $200

A set of high end, deessed, aluminum heads can be had for under $1,000

Headers are cheap as well.

The cost to build one over an SBC is marginal. In fact, most of the money I spent today was for a bunch of Scott Drake dress parts specific to the car, not the engine....

I'd say the only thing the chevys have going for them is the massive supply of junkyard parts which I guess is fine for some, but if youre doing a like for like new build its honestly hard to find where its cheaper to build a Chevy.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I have some serious hope for the new 7.3 gasser!Unfortunately I don't see a new small block in Fords immediate future. But Windsors are still plenty available and are much cheaper then transplanters would have you believe.

A brand new genuine Ford Performance intake manifold that I bought today was only $200

A set of high end, deessed, aluminum heads can be had for under $1,000

Headers are cheap as well.

The cost to build one over an SBC is marginal. In fact, most of the money I spent today was for a bunch of Scott Drake dress parts specific to the car, not the engine....

I'd say the only thing the chevys have going for them is the massive supply of junkyard parts which I guess is fine for some, but if youre doing a like for like new build its honestly hard to find where its cheaper to build a Chevy.

I've got a new F250 Tremor with the 7.3 gas motor. I'm really, really surprised at the power, and how it pulls through the gears. granted it's in a 6000# truck but it's the real deal. This motor in a 3250# car would be a beast...stock!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've got a new F250 Tremor with the 7.3 gas motor. I'm really, really surprised at the power, and how it pulls through the gears. granted it's in a 6000# truck but it's the real deal. This motor in a 3250# car would be a beast...stock!!
Cool! You are the first person to mention having one. I'm glad to hear it seems promising. Would be neat to build a Unibody pickup with that motor.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Use some Good aluminum valve covers and Fel-Pro gaskets. Fel-Pro makes one that has steel inserts around the bolt holes, so you can't over or under tighten them. They actually work pretty good, but they normally won't work the stock valve covers.

I will be upping my valve cover game. I currently run the fabricated tall boxy ones and will definitely try those particular gaskets, I have tried everything over 24 years with this car. Pic below for reference, a summit purchase from long time ago, and they look similar to this picture I found on the internet :)

valvecovers.jpg

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Leo builds rock solid stuff...

Yep, he did my TH400 with 4k stall and literally every one of my friends cars as well. In our 20's, all the go fast shit we dreamed of being like at irwindale and Fontana had him do their stuff and his sticker on the car, and that was enough to get us to try him out after breaking transmissions. The reliability and ET we picked up from him makes him easy to refer to others.

1tonfun

Reaction score
Whats the car? My Granpa built a '39 Ford with a 360ish SBC in it that was close to my heart and he also owned the Pearson brothers '36 Coupe for a few years as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
40 Mercury

hman442

Reaction score
I occasionally overhear guys looking my car over, one will say to the other, "can you believe someone would do this to a 66 Chevelle"
As in make it run really good, drive really good, haul ass, stop really good, be comfortable, etc. etc.