WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

FAAAAAAACK! Roof rot on our Yukon!

Tank

Reaction score
One major downfall of living at beach. Noticed a leak last couple years when it would rain. Floor in back would be wet.

Finally a few months ago I saw that the mounting point for the roof rack were staring to bubble around the edges. Pulled it off today. Holy shit. No bueno.

Don’t even want to k kw what this is gonna cost to fix. 👎

It’s an 07 but only has 80k miles. 4x4 2500 XL every option 6 capt chairs etc etc.

So, I’m kinda torn. Fix and keep. Fix and sell or don’t fix and sell (obviously disclosed).

38E21DC6-9E51-4C2E-BD1C-F4A8AC498C9B.jpeg
56288A11-CE43-442F-AAA6-CA1C816A2341.jpeg
945854E6-DBE4-44E1-AA70-BEEDF8AD8FE2.jpeg
6E6F3416-F8A4-484E-B7D1-E56906FB989B.jpeg
79D4E352-F2A8-424E-A06E-3FE3CDC296CE.jpeg

PlanB

Reaction score
That sucks! I won't take our nice car down to the beach anymore after having to get the motor re-polished because of the salt air damaging the aluminum.

Tank

Reaction score
If you like the truck fix it.. Shit is so expensive right now it's hard to replace.

RD

Yeah. We like it. But it’s getting old. I really don’t want to buy anything right now though. Like you said. Shits out of control.
That sucks! I won't take our nice car down to the beach anymore after having to get the motor re-polished because of the salt air damaging the aluminum.

Yeah, the salt air is just brutal on everything. Can’t keep anything perfect around here. Not to mention the vehicles are parked outside 👎

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
LOL... I thought this said root rot and got all excited that Tank is into plants.. Carry on.. 😂

Tank

Reaction score
LOL... I thought this said root rot and got all excited that Tank is into plants.. Carry on.. 😂

LOL. I do happen to know what what root rot is. Kelly’s into gardening pretty heavy at the house. Dealt with that a lot. 👎

Tank

Reaction score
Sand it down. Hit with a rust inhibitor ,use a composite like jb weld and touch up the paint. Then just use it ...... It will never be worth the cost to repair it the right way. And just be honest when ya finally sell.

Yeah. That’s an option too. Just text a buddy of a buddy that owns a shop. See what he thinks.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I gotta imagine that wouldnt be too horrible to repair. There isnt all that much geometry there to replicate and get it looking right so Id imagine the cost wouldnt be too much really.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@Tank - if you don't use the roof rack anyways, have a body shop cut out the rusted spots and weld in a "patch" section of metal. Bodywork it smooth, and ditch all those threaded fastner holes that started the problem in the first place. Respray the roof silver and it will look way cleaner "shaved' without the rack anyways

Or - they can cut out the sections they need / want from a salvage suburban / yukon from the yard, and graft them in. A little bondo and paint and it would be good to go for a long time. Throw the rack back on after

Ultra low-buck fix woud be to have the areas ground out and POR-15 to stop the rust, then filled and rhinoline the roof. The rhinolining will hide alot of the bodywork so the patch jobs could be "quick and painless" cause theyre getting covered in rhinoliner anyways, and once you toss the roof rack back on it looks like your into that overlanding shit :D . The rhino-lined roof kinda goes with the whole storage rack / offroad situation.....the more I think about it the better that option looks

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Removing the headliner is the next step, then you can decide how to fix it.

I like the patch and RhinoLining idea, but I keep cars until the wheels fall off, looks come second to function.

Tank

Reaction score

I like the patch and RhinoLining idea, but I keep cars until the wheels fall off, looks come second to function.

I’m Not a huge fan of the rhino liner look. I think what Jerry said with spot patch in some metal sheets, grind, paint. Done. Keep the roof rack off. No holes. Nice and clean.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
@Tank - if you don't use the roof rack anyways, have a body shop cut out the rusted spots and weld in a "patch" section of metal. Bodywork it smooth, and ditch all those threaded fastner holes that started the problem in the first place. Respray the roof silver and it will look way cleaner "shaved' without the rack anyways

That’s the fix. A decent Tig welder 2hr job + paint.

Sherpa

Reaction score
FLEX SEAL THAT BITCH! JUST WIPE IT CLEAN, AND SPRAY TO WIN! ENJOY A BEER OR TWO WHILE "REPAIRING YOUR VEHICLE"!

--Sherpa..

this has been an authorized, SHERPA-Fab production non-paid advertisement.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

This

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I had the same problem w/ my 01 Yuke, living here in Newport has it's rustic value:) I removed those racks at buy and got ahead of the problem. I ended up just doing the roof 909er bedliner style-and sold it-That truck is in Mexico now. Get a ragtop and show it:cool:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
One major downfall of living at beach. Noticed a leak last couple years when it would rain. Floor in back would be wet.

Finally a few months ago I saw that the mounting point for the roof rack were staring to bubble around the edges. Pulled it off today. Holy shit. No bueno.

Don’t even want to k kw what this is gonna cost to fix. 👎

It’s an 07 but only has 80k miles. 4x4 2500 XL every option 6 capt chairs etc etc.

So, I’m kinda torn. Fix and keep. Fix and sell or don’t fix and sell (obviously disclosed).

View attachment 938580 View attachment 938581 View attachment 938582 View attachment 938583 View attachment 938584

Does it have Cargo Doors? I do not know when they discontinued them, but if it does then it is a Keeper. I have been looking for a Black one and almost a Unicorn. The one you have with Captain Chairs etc. Think hard before doing anything quick.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I really don’t understand the big deal about cargo doors. I would much rather have a horizontal split door with a fold down tailgate to sit on. Perfect bench to sit on for lunch when you out in the sticks

JDKRXW

Reaction score

If you keep it, I'd pull the carpets up and see if this wet floor led to other rusty spots.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Does it have Cargo Doors? I do not know when they discontinued them, but if it does then it is a Keeper. I have been looking for a Black one and almost a Unicorn. The one you have with Captain Chairs etc. Think hard before doing anything quick.

No cargo doors. Has the lift gate. It’s a sweet ride. In good shape. Exterior paint is great, Interior is pretty much perfect. 80k miles. Capt chairs, auto everything, dvd Nav etc etc. but I also don’t want it to start buckle and dining me. 13 years old now.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
No cargo doors. Has the lift gate. It’s a sweet ride. In good shape. Exterior paint is great, Interior is pretty much perfect. 80k miles. Capt chairs, auto everything, dvd Nav etc etc. but I also don’t want it to start buckle and dining me. 13 years old now.

Well, you can bend Over and Benjies and More then. Have you been to a New Car Dealership Lately? OH!! and don't forget that Pesky little stop at the Court House and lighten the Wallet, and just one more thing, The call to your Insurance Agent.

On Second thought? 🤣

Tank

Reaction score
Well, you can bend Over and Benjies and More then. Have you been to a New Car Dealership Lately? OH!! and don't forget that Pesky little stop at the Court House and lighten the Wallet, and just one more thing, The call to your Insurance Agent.

On Second thought? 🤣

I do t buy nee cars. I don’t believe in taking a. 30% hit the moment you drove a car off a lot.

But a 3-5 year old car. Maybe a newer Yukon or an Escalade. I’d be good with. Maybe I’ll just fix it and keep it. Wife puts under 5k a year on it so doesn’t get driven much.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've delt with this before but on a "rain gutter" Ford. The rust can be fixed but will be a maintance item every 5 years as it will somehow keep coming back. I would be upset to and sounds like you don't want to part with it. I would find a body shop willing to take the work on and have it fixed but keep in mind it may have to get touched up in 5 years. The body shop challenge will be some will want to install a whole new roof skin or bondo the holes. Trying to find one to do patch sections will be tough.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
List it on Craigslist as being in California its whole life.😂

Tank

Reaction score
So, just an update on this.

After yanking the roof rack off and seeing how bad it was (and getting the stellar RDP advice here 😁 ) I was like, "FUCK!" I put the rack back on and siliconed the edges hoping it wouldn't leak for now while I decided what to do.

Checked a couple body shops for quotes. I was getting quotes for 5k-7k to cut out metal or even entire roof to replace. Or 2k-3k to do the bondo type thing which would only last a couple years. Buddy owns a dealer / shop and said he could do it maaaaaaaybe as low as 1500 for the bondo / fiberglass crap but advised me to sell it. He also had a pretty nice 17 Escalade on his lot I was thinking of trading in for but I seriously don't want car payments. This Yukon only has 80k miles and every option 4wd 2500. Love the thing. No payment. Really don't want to get rid of it. Especially when we put like 4k miles a year on it.

Then, to my surprise, Dan (H2oToie) text me and says, "send me the pics of your roof I can have my body guy look at them". I'm thinking to myself, this is a waste of time, big body shop is going to be somewhere in the 5k range to do it right. But I said, F it and sent them to him with zero expectations. He text me a few days later with a price to cut the pieces out and replace with metal (the right way) and repaint the whole roof. Let me just say, about 1/4 the price. I told my wife, we have to get the Yukon to Valencia ASAP!! She says, You know Christmas is coming maybe we should wait, and I'm like NO WAY, we have to do this NOW, I'm not missing this deal! LOL

Took it out and met with Dan's guy. Coolest dude, totally chill. I also asked him to get me a quote on glass replacement since we had a big crack in the windshield from a drive back from havasu last year. Guy text me every couple days with updates and pics of progress and kept communication flowing. Came back with glass replacement for like $300 I think it was. I said, yep, do it! Job, of course, turned into a lot more work than he thought but he 100% stuck with his original quote (that was from photos mind you).

I told him originally to not worry about putting the roof rack back on because he was cutting the mounting holds out and I figured it'd be a lot more work to put them back in after replacing the sheet metal. But, he texts about a week into the job and says, "hey, I can put the roof rack back on if you want." I'm thinking, he's giving such a good price I don't want to make him work more and it may look pretty cool with out the roof rack. Dan was on the text and he agreed it would look better with out the roof rack so I say, nah, no roof rack.

He finished it all up and I go pick it up. Not only is the work impeccable, he had the whole thing detailed to the 9's! I actually paid $300 to get it detailed during the summer, interior, exterior, wax, wheels, etc. and I gotta say, I've never had it better than his guys did it. Shit looks brand new. I go to give him the rest of the money and he absolutely will not take more than quoted. I say hey, I'll venmo you more money, I see how much work you put into it and this detail job is a few hundo at least. He's like nope. Deals a deal, all good.

So, if you need a straight up, awesome body shop that is honest and does insanely great work for fair to great pricing, hit up Geoff at Patterson's Auto Body in Valencia (near Teagues). You will not be disappointing.

Here's some after pics and a keep sake he let me take home. LOL

Yukon 2.jpg
yukon1.jpg
Yukon3.jpg
yukon4.jpg
Yukon rust.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So, just an update on this.

After yanking the roof rack off and seeing how bad it was (and getting the stellar RDP advice here 😁 ) I was like, "FUCK!" I put the rack back on and siliconed the edges hoping it wouldn't leak for now while I decided what to do.

Checked a couple body shops for quotes. I was getting quotes for 5k-7k to cut out metal or even entire roof to replace. Or 2k-3k to do the bondo type thing which would only last a couple years. Buddy owns a dealer / shop and said he could do it maaaaaaaybe as low as 1500 for the bondo / fiberglass crap but advised me to sell it. He also had a pretty nice 17 Escalade on his lot I was thinking of trading in for but I seriously don't want car payments. This Yukon only has 80k miles and every option 4wd 2500. Love the thing. No payment. Really don't want to get rid of it. Especially when we put like 4k miles a year on it.

Then, to my surprise, Dan (H2oToie) text me and says, "send me the pics of your roof I can have my body guy look at them". I'm thinking to myself, this is a waste of time, big body shop is going to be somewhere in the 5k range to do it right. But I said, F it and sent them to him with zero expectations. He text me a few days later with a price to cut the pieces out and replace with metal (the right way) and repaint the whole roof. Let me just say, about 1/4 the price. I told my wife, we have to get the Yukon to Valencia ASAP!! She says, You know Christmas is coming maybe we should wait, and I'm like NO WAY, we have to do this NOW, I'm not missing this deal! LOL

Took it out and met with Dan's guy. Coolest dude, totally chill. I also asked him to get me a quote on glass replacement since we had a big crack in the windshield from a drive back from havasu last year. Guy text me every couple days with updates and pics of progress and kept communication flowing. Came back with glass replacement for like $300 I think it was. I said, yep, do it! Job, of course, turned into a lot more work than he thought but he 100% stuck with his original quote (that was from photos mind you).

I told him originally to not worry about putting the roof rack back on because he was cutting the mounting holds out and I figured it'd be a lot more work to put them back in after replacing the sheet metal. But, he texts about a week into the job and says, "hey, I can put the roof rack back on if you want." I'm thinking, he's giving such a good price I don't want to make him work more and it may look pretty cool with out the roof rack. Dan was on the text and he agreed it would look better with out the roof rack so I say, nah, no roof rack.

He finished it all up and I go pick it up. Not only is the work impeccable, he had the whole thing detailed to the 9's! I actually paid $300 to get it detailed during the summer, interior, exterior, wax, wheels, etc. and I gotta say, I've never had it better than his guys did it. Shit looks brand new. I go to give him the rest of the money and he absolutely will not take more than quoted. I say hey, I'll venmo you more money, I see how much work you put into it and this detail job is a few hundo at least. He's like nope. Deals a deal, all good.

So, if you need a straight up, awesome body shop that is honest and does insanely great work for fair to great pricing, hit up Geoff at Patterson's Auto Body in Valencia (near Teagues). You will not be disappointing.

Here's some after pics and a keep sake he let me take home. LOL

View attachment 950273 View attachment 950274 View attachment 950275 View attachment 950276 View attachment 950277
Looks awesome Tank! And super clean without the roof rack!

Do you know if they work on classic cars as well? I need to get my 72 chevelle into a body shop to replace some rust areas

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks great and will have to remember the name of this shop.

Tank

Reaction score
Looks awesome Tank! And super clean without the roof rack!

Do you know if they work on classic cars as well? I need to get my 72 chevelle into a body shop to replace some rust areas
Absolutely. They do classics all the way to brand new Range Rover's Porsche's etc. They did and are doing some really nice work on Dan's square bodies. Geoff will take good care of you Jerry. I'll text you his number.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Given Chevy paint quality, that needs to be viewed as "patina" and it just adds to the character.
Just wait to sell it once the rust on the door bottoms appear so it's a matching numbers patina grail.🙂

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Absolutely. They do classics all the way to brand new Range Rover's Porsche's etc. They did and are doing some really nice work on Dan's square bodies. Geoff will take good care of you Jerry. I'll text you his number.

I need to dig this sucker out of hibernation and get to work! It's just rotting down the side of the house right now. This pic is circa 2013, where it was also rotting but in a state of less rot......

1607537505619.png

2010 - Here's when i pulled the last motor out.....I had plans for twin turbos, my wife had plans to get pregnant......

1607537586730.png

Tank

Reaction score
If you live at the beach, don't you people just throw that away and buy a new one?
I've grown up on the beach and through the years of having harleys and custom cars with chrome parts I've learned to stay on top of that stuff but no matter how meticulous you are there's just a certain amount of "give" you have to have. Shit will not stay perfect living at the beach. Buddy bought a beach house and moved from Camarillo a few years back. Had ferrraris and lambos and harleys and shit and wold complain NON STOP about how difficult it was to keep his shit nice. He even tried those air tight harley bags to keep the moisture out. Didn't work. Drove him crazy. He finally moved off the beach and I think the main reason was because of this. Living at the beach is nice but you definitely give up some stuff, like keeping your shit in show room condition. Or having acreage or a huge house (unless you're a major baller). Is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Tank

Reaction score
I need to dig this sucker out of hibernation and get to work! It's just rotting down the side of the house right now. This pic is circa 2013, where it was also rotting but in a state of less rot......

View attachment 950305

2010 - Here's when i pulled the last motor out.....I had plans for twin turbos, my wife had plans to get pregnant......

View attachment 950306

That things bad ass Jerry.
Where's the Elc?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Looks great, super clean. Love the no roof rack look. I pulled the roof rack off the wife’s 4Runner the week after we got it. Toyota makes a roof rack delete kit for $50 that seals up the holes.