WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SeaDek/Gatorstep on vinyl upholstery?

oldschool

Reaction score
I’m trying to decide whether I should reupholster my engine cover and put the non skid stuff on it or just do the cover in SeaDek. Side compartment covers will get reupholstered. The engine cover gets a lot of traffic and gets slick.
E7E88ACA-6D51-4F0A-A804-13A1A92064AF.jpeg

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Hmm, never seen that on one of those. Those hatches are wood. I would stay with upholstery. I have a dude nearby that can put back to stock with Sanger materials.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Sea dek is absolute shit....I wasted $1600 on it via the boat builder. Once its toast i may try Gator Step via Chris at DS. If anyone wants to see why i hate this shit ill be glad to show it...absolute fucking garbage.
Let’s see I’m curious. Did it discolor or peel or crack

oldschool

Reaction score
Hmm, never seen that on one of those. Those hatches are wood. I would stay with upholstery. I have a dude nearby that can put back to stock with Sanger materials.
I think I know the same guy.

Tank

Reaction score
It’d upholster the port side and the center engine cover and seadeck / gator step the starboard side. Like a deck boat. Leaves more room for girls to lay out on the hatch and gives a nice access point down the starboard side.

Sea dek is absolute shit....I wasted $1600 on it via the boat builder. Once its toast i may try Gator Step via Chris at DS. If anyone wants to see why i hate this shit ill be glad to show it...absolute fucking garbage.

I’d like to hear about it too. I think you’re the first person I’ve EVER heard say something bad about seadek or gator step. Seems 100% satisfaction is the norm.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
It’d upholster the port side and the center engine cover and seadeck / gator step the starboard side. Like a deck boat. Leaves more room for girls to lay out on the hatch and gives a nice access point down the starboard side.

I’d like to hear about it too. I think you’re the first person I’ve EVER heard say something bad about seadek or gator step. Seems 100% satisfaction is the norm.

It gets thrashed in a hurry on any boat that is regularly used and not owned by somebody super ocd. It also stains extremely easy. I have had to spend HOURS on boats just protecting the seadeck before I can start engine work in some cases.

I strongly recommend against it. I like to push snap in SeaGrass to my customers who are considering an update, I dont think it would be applicable in this scenario though. If I were in the OPs shoes I'd go the route of nonskid gel coating just on the one side pad maybe even just half of it and leaving the rest uphostered

Tank

Reaction score
It gets thrashed in a hurry on any boat that is regularly used and not owned by somebody super ocd. It also stains extremely easy. I have had to spend HOURS on boats just protecting the seadeck before I can start engine work in some cases.

I strongly recommend against it. I like to push snap in SeaGrass to my customers who are considering an update, I dont think it would be applicable in this scenario though. If I were in the OPs shoes I'd go the route of nonskid gel coating just on the one side pad maybe even just half of it and leaving the rest uphostered

You know I always though that shit would stain really easy. I know seadeck and gator step is all the rave but I had the foam type stuff on my 97 Baja outlaw’s swim step that came stock from the factory. It’s the same shit and it would stain and was a bitch to clean. But EVERYONE I talk to that has it says soap and hot water and a scrub brush takes all stains out easily if it stains. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t know but we’re putting it in the cockpit cabin and a strip down the bow on the cig. I guess if it sucks we’ll go back to carpet.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
strawberry Rita's and oil of any kind does not come out. Trust me on that.

This stuff is what it's all about. Pricing is about the same and it is severely underrated
Screenshot_20201108-211836_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
strawberry Rita's and oil of any kind does not come out. Trust me on that.

This stuff is what it's all about. Pricing is about the same and it is severely underrated View attachment 940812

Yeeeeeeeah, I’m not even that anal but there’s a few things I won’t allow on the boat. Strawberry margarita would be high on the list!!! Lol

oldschool

Reaction score
I think I’m just going vinyl and tell people it gets slippery.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
A 6" strip of non skid fiberglass down the middle and lay a towel over it when you want to lay on it.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I don't have a ton of rules in my boat but two of them are no spray on sunscreen anywhere near it, and nothing food related with red or orange dye.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

It stains, easy...i dont care if you rinse your feet etc...first time out and that was all it took...We've put 20ish hours on the new boat since September... So it gets used.

Ive known some people unhappy with it...its quite a bit softer than gator step. Chris was showing me the difference... Once i clean up the boat post service ill take pics. If you look at it wrong it stains...It will work for now but it will get replaced at some point.. My other gripe is that it holds indentions pretty bad..

RichL

Reaction score
Admittedly I only had Seadek on the swim platform of the last boat, but it was there for probably 5 years before I sold it and other than occasional use of a scrub brush for cleaning I didn't experience any of these problems. It will go on the Formula swim platform in the spring since my order showed up just a couple days before it was scheduled to go in for winterizaton and I didn't have time to do the install.