WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What One Car Does It All For You?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I must list two!! = The last years of The Cadilliac Eldorado AND The 63- 67 Stingray Coupes, With Knock Offs and Sidepipes. Both of those IMO are Ageless.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I agree that there isn’t ONE car that can totally do it all. I’m trying to figure out my next car build. I really like how my little brothers 66 Nova came out. It’s not officially done. Detroit Speed did the suspension and fab work.

I’m leaning towards another 87 Buick Grand National. I’ve owned 2 already. I’m thinking of doing a clone with all aftermarket suspension and a little more than 3.8L and more turbo.

Nova because this post is worthless without pics....
1C0859CA-7539-480E-8361-2966ED184D16.jpeg

waterhorse

Reaction score
The "56 in my avatar, it's in my garage getting a fresh 327 11:1 solid lifter motor and a front straight axle with coilovers and 4bar, similar to the 2 lane blacktop '55. It should ride fairly nice wiyh the coilovers and be easily adjusted for caster and ride height. 4:10 rear gear w/ a Detroit Locker and a 6 speed manual so it can be driven anywhere. Kind of a late 60s drag / street car tribute.
56 chevy.jpg

Last edited:

River Runnin

Reaction score
I’ve had a 4X4 ever since I’ve had a Driver’s license! So the one I have now is it, and almost a classic! 03 H2!:)

H2 4.jpg

Last edited:

propcheck

Reaction score
Easy pick for me
1969 Chevy Camaro SS.
HOK 01 Brandywine red
Matte gun metal grey/ pewter stripes
Cream and tan two tone upholstery
And I have not chosen my ls swap or wheels yet. 😂

poncho

Reaction score
As long as we're dreaming and spending your money and not mine, I vote for a 2door 66-67 Fairlane powered by a nice 427FE or perhaps a 427W and 3 pedals under the steering wheel. A locker out back hanging from a 4 link (although I would personally prefer leafs with traction bars for the nostalgia). Disc's all around and no bigger than 16s inside the rubbers, I like mag500s. White stripe out on the tires. Hotrod red is the way to go. Black pleated leather on the inside.
One of my best Buds growing up had a stunning 67 in high school, first one of us to use polished Center Lines. He was our only Ford Buddy but we all loved that car, how it looked and ran, 390 4-speed, sold it for college.

poncho

Reaction score
Lot's of good stuff here.

After thinking about it all weekend and then re-watching my all time favorite movie, American Graffiti I have come to the realization that I always have been and always will be a hot rodder and I can't give up the coupe.

Like some of you said, there really isn't any one single car that can do all of what I'd want in a car and each car has its specialty so I'll just keep what I got.

And there are faster cars out there, especially these days with turbos and computers and such but there ain't nothing like an old school hot rod! I'm lucky enough to have lived through and experienced cruising and even those those days are long gone, it sure is nice to relive them at times even if they are just in my mind.

I spent a good part of yesterday looking at 55's online, my favorite of the 3 years. Since i backed out of buying the Factory Five Cobra i'm adrift on what i would like, like a woman i change my mind every day.
Don't ever sell your coupe, every time i mention selling Poncho my Wife yells at me and say's put it away for a few it aint costing you a dime.
Put an offer on a Z06 last night to entertain myself till i figure out what i want.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Easy pick for me
1969 Chevy Camaro SS.
HOK 01 Brandywine red
Matte gun metal grey/ pewter stripes
Cream and tan two tone upholstery
And I have not chosen my ls swap or wheels yet. 😂
Ya have to tow a Bass Boat with that car.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
There is no way I can pick just one car, my tastes are too varied. Top of the short list and practical is a first gen Buick Riviera. If I didn't have boat projects, I would probably already have one. Next is a bagged crew cab dually. I already have the crew cab dually part, its just not bagged, again, because I have boat projects instead lol

Late 40's Fleetlines, Chevy or BOP, 63 Suburban, early 50's-early 60's Cadillac's, about a '13 CTS-V, early Bugs this list could go on for a long long time

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I spent a good part of yesterday looking at 55's online, my favorite of the 3 years. Since i backed out of buying the Factory Five Cobra i'm adrift on what i would like, like a woman i change my mind every day.
Don't ever sell your coupe, every time i mention selling Poncho my Wife yells at me and say's put it away for a few it aint costing you a dime.
Put an offer on a Z06 last night to entertain myself till i figure out what i want.

Hey Kenny!
Yeah, the '34 doesn't cost me anything and after selling my last one and kicking myself in the butt for ten years for doing so, I think I'll keep this one until I can't drive anymore.

What year Z06 are you looking at? Can't go wrong with any year you get though as they are amazing cars.

RichL

Reaction score
Lot's of good stuff here.

After thinking about it all weekend and then re-watching my all time favorite movie, American Graffiti I have come to the realization that I always have been and always will be a hot rodder and I can't give up the coupe.

Like some of you said, there really isn't any one single car that can do all of what I'd want in a car and each car has its specialty so I'll just keep what I got.

And there are faster cars out there, especially these days with turbos and computers and such but there ain't nothing like an old school hot rod! I'm lucky enough to have lived through and experienced cruising and even those those days are long gone, it sure is nice to relive them at times even if they are just in my mind.

Unable to like your decision more than once.

😁

stoker2001

Reaction score
Cole Cutler took me for a ride in his in Auburn, Ca, That is when I knew that I was too damn tall for a channeled car, (broke my 22 year old heart)
Born and raised in Sacto/Orangevale/CH area.Cole prob don't remember me,but was big fan around late 70s!used to chat with him at Sacto Raceway.His ford powered shotgun/hemi in black coupe was fastest street car around in those days.heard he sold it tho as of late

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
My Dream car was my 1970 Chevelle 396 4 speed even after buying the C7 corvette i still enjoyed the chevelle more.
then i made the mistake on driving the Hellcat Challenger. After 3 years i have 50k miles on the Hellcat and everyday driving it is just as much fun as the day i got it. the Chevelle and vet are long gone
IMG_3824.jpeg

caribbean20

Reaction score
If it’s one car fits all, my current daily driver is a Caddy XTS VSport 4 wheel drive. Bought it to comfortably haul 4 people, pleasantly surprised. 13.6 1/4 mile, Brembo brakes, booming Bose sound, cushy ride for the long hauls. Didn’t break the bank.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
My favorite car is my truck. It's an F150. My first truck was also an F150. And my first truck i flipped end over end was also an F150 too. It has a chromolly rool cage so we were okay.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
I’d love a Porsche turbo, but a McLaren would be fun.

View attachment 943816

I have had a couple 911 Turbos, awesome cars. I really wanted to drive/look at something different and I took a hard look at the McLaren 720 but the depreciation on them chased me away, they just do not hold their value, simply awesome car though. Bought a 488 instead.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Vehicles do nothing for me anymore. New ones are nice until they break, fucking hipsters have priced any older vehicle I want beyond any rational price range.

Carbon tax is going to make anything with an IC impractical other than an occasional weekend driver anyway.

They are appliances to me now. I'll drive my Acadia till it rusts in two or lease a POS for $200/mo .

spectras only

Reaction score
crazyhippie, what is this Weismann based on? Looks like a Formula Ford with some fenders, running lights.
It would never be road legal here in commie Canada though, otherwise I'd modify this Crossle Formula Ford for street duty myself. ;)

Attachments

• Crossle Formula.jpg
    Crossle Formula.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 139

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
crazyhippie, what is this Weismann based on? Looks like a Formula Ford with some fenders, running lights.
It would never be road legal here in commie Canada though, otherwise I'd modify this Crossle Formula Ford for street duty myself. ;)

I am slightly mistaken. Weismann only did the transmission. Car is one of Gordon Murray's side projects, "Light Car Company"

Weismann also make/made bitchen boat drives, which is the circuitous route thru which i first heard of the car.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Where did you get this picture?

I am pretty sure that is my dads 66 Fairlane in the background, I can tell by the wheels
...I just googled Smirnoff...AA/FD dragster..I don’t remember ever pitting near that car but I do remember seeing it run at San Fernando at least once...Rare thing of beauty...main driver was Larry Dixon Senior... I think???...

Mototrig

Reaction score
THIS is what does it for me.
It has to be the Fox Body mustang. I saw this gem this morning in a parking lot outside DC automotive. This notchback is a 3 pedal clutch car registered in Texas. I can only imagine what is under the hood considering that Texas has a considerably different smog shelf life date of 25ish years. There's a 5" monster tach with shift light mounted to the dashboard right of the cluster seemingly unseen from an unsuspecting troll. Yes not the fastest car on the road by far but certainly one of the coolest (IMO).
PXL_20201118_185119523.jpg

PXL_20201118_185133952.jpg

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
This is my story, I sold my trailer boats so no longer needed my pickup to tow trailers......so now I had to figure out what do I want for the perfect car/cars to have. I already had the Ferrari 575M and had just bought the Aston Martin DB-11 so sell the truck that I don't need anymore and get something to fill that spot in the garage.
It didn't take me too long to settle on a C-2 Corvette. I found a really pristine 66 427 two owner car. I think I am set now. I drive the Aston daily but enjoy the other two on nice days as well. I love them all and have no favorite, like them all.
2 (3).JPG
IMG_9632.jpg

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
This is my story, I sold my trailer boats so no longer needed my pickup to tow trailers......so now I had to figure out what do I want for the perfect car/cars to have. I already had the Ferrari 575M and had just bought the Aston Martin DB-11 so sell the truck that I don't need anymore and get something to fill that spot in the garage.
It didn't take me too long to settle on a C-2 Corvette. I found a really pristine 66 427 two owner car. I think I am set now. I drive the Aston daily but enjoy the other two on nice days as well. I love them all and have no favorite, like them all. View attachment 944068 View attachment 944069

Nice 575! Its the right color, my 488 is also Rosso Corsa

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Way back in 1976 I had this super clean '66 SS 396 4 speed Impala. Buckets with center console, factory tach, 12 bolt posi with 3.73 gears, etc. Like an idiot, I sold it to fund a stupid SBC Vega drag car I was building. Regretted it ever since.

Just saw this on in Hot Rod. They go for big bucks now so doubt I'll have another but sure would be a nice companion for my coupe.

IMG_20181202_0001 (Small).jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
THIS is what does it for me.
It has to be the Fox Body mustang. I saw this gem this morning in a parking lot outside DC automotive. This notchback is a 3 pedal clutch car registered in Texas. I can only imagine what is under the hood considering that Texas has a considerably different smog shelf life date of 25ish years. There's a 5" monster tach with shift light mounted to the dashboard right of the cluster seemingly unseen from an unsuspecting troll. Yes not the fastest car on the road by far but certainly one of the coolest (IMO).
View attachment 943973
View attachment 943974

I'd argue that their brakes are on the iffy side and they don't get very good traction, especially when driving over deer.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
The most fun I have ever had behind the wheel of a vehicle is hands down Porsche GT3rs

QUOTE]

Many would say that the GT3RS is the best all around street legal track car Porsche has ever produced, I would find it hard to argue with that. The GT2RS is MUCH faster and depending on the track can be quicker. But.... the GT3RS is the purest of all Porsche's, power delivery is very linear and controllable where the GT2 needs to be modulated. Both GT's are an absolute animal in the handling and braking departments.

That said, the GT3RS is not a whole lot of fun driving down a concrete highway and the seats are rock hard, not sure that the GT (Gran Turismo) designation is really applicable to this car, I would not want to daily drive it.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Many would say that the GT3RS is the best all around street legal track car Porsche has ever produced, I would find it hard to argue with that. The GT2RS is MUCH faster and depending on the track can be quicker. But.... the GT3RS is the purest of all Porsche's, power delivery is very linear and controllable where the GT2 needs to be modulated. Both GT's are an absolute animal in the handling and braking departments.

That said, the GT3RS is not a whole lot of fun driving down a concrete highway and the seats are rock hard, not sure that the GT (Gran Turismo) designation is really applicable to this car, I would not want to daily drive it.

I wouldn’t daily drive it either. But it’s been sitting too much lately. Haven’t driven it In probably 6 months 😢