WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage add on in havasu

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What is the going rate for a garage add on in havasu. This would have water, sewer, electrical and ac

Reactions: DLC

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
What kind of size are you looking at? I hope that you are sitting down. It have become rather pricey in the last year. Almost double in 12 months.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I read in a past thread someone on here said they'd come from California and do it for $65 sf. I'd imagine he's probably booked 2 years out by now and ordering a new deck boat though. Be careful on trusting SOME of the responses here.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I read in a past thread someone on here said they'd come from California and do it for $65 sf. I'd imagine he's probably booked 2 years out by now and ordering a new deck boat though. Be careful on trusting SOME of the responses here.
With sewer, electrical and A/C work I would wager the price would be more like $88 a sq. ft. and if it's RV tall closer to a $100.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
my pops is looking at doing this as well....maybe we can get a two for 1 deal! @PayDayClub

cofooter

Reaction score
Call Joe Mitchell, he's on here occasionally, AFUEL something, he did mine years ago. Great guy. 707-372-2843

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Not sure on the size. I don’t need it RV high but if the cost is minimal to go that high I would do it. I would like it 65ft deep and double wide as well

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Don't forget that even with the price per sq ft. there will be add on's like permits, upgraded roofing and partial demo of existing structure's. I would love to add about 520 sq. ft. to my garage and I can easily see it costing $65000. Of course that's what I can see it costing but I'm sure by the time all the numbers are tallied I'm probably way low.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
RV tall for my house built by Verde Home’s in 2002..... was 12 feet..... I have since learned that the typical RV is over that .... glad I have it for my boat... Bimini top stays up and it fits in the garage by 6” ... the real 6” not what you tell your wife is 6” 😳

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
RV tall for my house built by Verde Home’s in 2002..... was 12 feet..... I have since learned that the typical RV is over that .... glad I have it for my boat... Bimini top stays up and it fits in the garage by 6” ... the real 6” not what you tell your wife is 6” 😳

So it fits by a couple feet then?

FishSniper

Reaction score
What is the going rate for a garage add on in havasu. This would have water, sewer, electrical and ac
Our RV garage is 18x73 and was told if was to build it would be about 120k.
Call Joe Mitchell, he's on here occasionally, AFUEL something, he did mine years ago. Great guy. 707-372-2843
We recently had them do a rear door on our RV garage and they did a great job.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score

We built a boat / RV garage at our California house in 2000 and did a 12' door. Everyone is doing 14' now. On the fast boats 12' was fine, but like you stated, if you have a bigger boat with a bimini it's a tight fit.

We were looking at doing a double boat / RV garage at our Havasu house earlier this year and it was about 150K. Tough pill to swallow when I paid less for the house 20 years ago.

DLC

Reaction score

26x65 is just under 1700 sf at $58 sf that’s a $100,000.00 hiring a Electrican and a plumber and a HVAC guy your over that figure.

From a structure stand point if adding to existing structure things can add up fast if building a Detached garage it will be a lot cheaper. you need to figure out 10 or 12 ft interior hight.

I think you can do a lot of that stuff your self and on the cheap with the help of friends!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Well I do know a contractor and a flooring and window coverings guy lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Damn, my new trailer is 13'-2" tall.

Dettom

Reaction score
Getting ready to dive in and start on my own. Even as owner builder, I’m guessing between 75.00 and 85.00 per sq ft. I’m hoping to go 22X56, with a 14’ high door. All I can hope for is maybe material prices will decrease somewhat as I go along. I have to sub most of it out, and it’s still a pricey venture.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I started with the city in the summer. Not that they take time the process just takes time. Moving forward the next garage will be faster in the planning department. So far this is what you have to add for the planning on top of a GCs cost to build.

Property Survey - $600, yes, you need it, the city requires it
There will be added costs, I think $800 later to confirm that you within the envelope when you build
Architectural Drawings - $3k-$5k depending on the project size and scope
Our 16’ x 65’ x 15’ tall garage would be roughly $3k for a complete set of architectural drawings
Structural Calculations - $1400 - Needed by the city
Truss Calculation = Waiting on the cost of this - Needed by the city
City $180 cost of the review - no idea of the permit cost. Hope to get the plans back to the city mid Dec

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I built a 17x30 addition two years ago and it cost me about $80 a foot. My own guys did most of the work. But that included a fair amount of demo. Materials have only gone up since then.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yep. I did owner building back in 2004. Garage door guy said he needed. 3’ for the door to work properly. So I went with a 12’ opening. Thought it would be fine. Find out later I could have used different doors and I could have a bigger opening. :rolleyes:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Yep. I did owner building back in 2004. Garage door guy said he needed. 3’ for the door to work properly. So I went with a 12’ opening. Thought it would be fine. Find out later I could have used different doors and I could have a bigger opening. :rolleyes:

Who was your door guy? I want to be sure that I don’t call him. LOL

Also watching the for sales with and without garages. There are not many with garages and the ones that do are about $100k higher in price. Maybe Stacy can provide better data.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Who was your door guy? I want to be sure that I don’t call him. LOL

Also watching the for sales with and without garages. There are not many with garages and the ones that do are about $100k higher in price. Maybe Stacy can provide better data.

It’s cheaper buying a house with the garage already there than building it yourself, especially at today’s rates.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Cheaper to purchase house with what is needed then add on.
I penciled all this out years ago when I was looking at a house. The RV garage addition was close 75k and up to 100k based on options.

DC-88

Reaction score
This is owner builder 101 in a nutshell. Each sub tells the owner builder their task is "always" done in a manner or sequence that's easiest for them:cool:

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I started with the city in the summer. Not that they take time the process just takes time. Moving forward the next garage will be faster in the planning department. So far this is what you have to add for the planning on top of a GCs cost to build.

There will be added costs, I think $800 later to confirm that you within the envelope when you build
Our 16’ x 65’ x 15’ tall garage would be roughly $3k for a complete set of architectural drawings
City $180 cost of the review - no idea of the permit cost. Hope to get the plans back to the city mid Dec
whew...I really need to raise my prices

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
current build costs for a detached RV, fully dry walled, painted, stucco, all electric , completely built out (pre-plumbed and wired for min-splits) is averaging $75 a sqft + full set of plans and engineering about 1.5k to ? (depends on size) $1800 for the 16x65x15 mentioned above, as built survey is $450

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
26x65 is just under 1700 sf at $58 sf that’s a $100,000.00 hiring a Electrican and a plumber and a HVAC guy your over that figure.

From a structure stand point if adding to existing structure things can add up fast if building a Detached garage it will be a lot cheaper. you need to figure out 10 or 12 ft interior hight.

I think you can do a lot of that stuff your self and on the cheap with the help of friends!
Hey how have you been buddy.😁

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Yeah, that isn't true. 3 feet is way more than you need, even for a tall sectional. You can get away with having more smaller sections and 12" arch low-headroom track along with a side-mount jackshaft operator and do it all within 18". We do it all the time in OC, not necessarily on super tall doors but it doesn't matter.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
1606970289936.png

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
whew...I really need to raise my prices

Yeah, it is kind of hard to place pricing these days. I know that you are a seasoned guy with valuable knowledge. I keep telling the younger guys not to give away their time. Get what you can while you are able. Not rip people of just get paid for the work that you do.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good luck finding one In the sub $500k range these days.

If you can deal with a detached RV garage there are options for $350k-$400k.

But if you are looking for a house that is 10 years old or less with an attached RV garage, yea you are Around $500k

This one is $340k pending sale. There was another one with a bigger garage and a better layout for $320k a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Yeah, it is kind of hard to place pricing these days. I know that you are a seasoned guy with valuable knowledge. I keep telling the younger guys not to give away their time. Get what you can while you are able. Not rip people of just get paid for the work that you do.
yup lot of people doing that (jacking prices while they can) and I watch them come and go, 20+years doing this in Havasu and I am still here...still doing it and still WAY!!! overbooked. so don't know if my old school ways (fair days pay for a fair days work) makes me a good biz man or not, but Havasu has been VERY!!! good to me and rewarded myself, my 5 contractors I work with and sell for and all the families down the line with more work than we ever thought possible. 2020 has been a record smasher for sure, I will finish out somewhere in 150's for total homes this year, that's 40+ more homes then ever before. so if interest rates stay where they are and governor Newsum continues to alienate his population 2021 should be a wild ride as I already have 60+homes scheduled for the View Point development (just west of Home Depot)

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Yeah, that isn't true. 3 feet is way more than you need, even for a tall sectional. You can get away with having more smaller sections and 12" arch low-headroom track along with a side-mount jackshaft operator and do it all within 18". We do it all the time in OC, not necessarily on super tall doors but it doesn't matter.
I regularly do 14' doors with 15' ceilings (dual track) because of our 15' height limit and belt drive openers, we've had to many problems with the jack shaft openers being able to handle the 18'w x14't doors, still waiting for the hardware to catch up to the door size, it's hell on rollers

J&k beer can

Reaction score

this is pretty much on par for whats needed and pricing for a garage build.. we are in a build right now..
once you get your property survey done thats going to determine the height of your garage.. city seems to be stuck at 16ft total height.
our other option was to dig down into land. that would mean new driveway(slope) to street and more money..

Last edited:

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Cheaper to purchase house with what is needed then add on.
I penciled all this out years ago when I was looking at a house. The RV garage addition was close 75k and up to 100k based on options.
slim pickings on houses if any that have pool rv garage and up to date that meet 400k prices..
thats why we decided to build a rv garage.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
slim pickings on houses if any that have pool rv garage and up to date that meet 400k prices..
thats why we decided to build a rv garage.

It’s probably cheaper to update a house than to build a pool or RV garage at this point..

Plus you can get 100% use and enjoyment immediately out of a house with a pool and RV garage that needs “updating”.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
I regularly do 14' doors with 15' ceilings (dual track) because of our 15' height limit and belt drive openers, we've had to many problems with the jack shaft openers being able to handle the 18'w x14't doors, still waiting for the hardware to catch up to the door size, it's hell on rollers
Yeah I agree. that is a LONG rail for those openers but it still does work better in the long term. The weight of some of those large doors is hell on the side-mount operators and you can still throw a cable. Ceiling mount openers usually don't.

Tank

Reaction score
If you can deal with a detached RV garage there are options for $350k-$400k.

But if you are looking for a house that is 10 years old or less with an attached RV garage, yea you are Around $500k

This one is $340k pending sale. There was another one with a bigger garage and a better layout for $320k a few weeks ago.

I've been watching the Havasu market VERY close the past couple years. You forgot one serious consideration on the listing you posted. It's on a main thoroughfare. I've noticed houses on the main roads are at minimum 100k cheaper than ones on side streets or culdasacs. Because of the FUCKED up way Havasu was designed, there's a crap load of main thoroughfares and not many smaller streets. To get a house with either a pool or an RV garage on a side street is going to be 450-500 to start. With both 500-600 to start. Yes, there is the weird old houses that pop up from time to time that need full remodels with both but those are few and far between. And from what I'm told from realtors in Havasu (Stacy included) houses with RV garages and pools are snatched up in a day(s) or even hours from listing and usually over asking.

I'd like to buy a house in Havasu but FUCK the market is stupid out there right now. 🤦‍♂️ Houses seemed to have doubled in price over past 3 years.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I've been watching the Havasu market VERY close the past couple years. You forgot one serious consideration on the listing you posted. It's on a main thoroughfare. I've noticed houses on the main roads are at minimum 100k cheaper than ones on side streets or culdasacs. Because of the FUCKED up way Havasu was designed, there's a crap load of main thoroughfares and not many smaller streets. To get a house with either a pool or an RV garage on a side street is going to be 450-500 to start. With both 500-600 to start. Yes, there is the weird old houses that pop up from time to time that need full remodels with both but those are few and far between. And from what I'm told from realtors in Havasu (Stacy included) houses with RV garages and pools are snatched up in a day(s) or even hours from listing and usually over asking.

I'd like to buy a house in Havasu but FUCK the market is stupid out there right now. 🤦‍♂️ Houses seemed to have doubled in price over past 3 years.

Agreed. But unless you’ve got the budget For exactly what you want, if you find a house in a neighborhood you can stand, just get into the market. You can upgrade later. Otherwise 10 years from now you are saying the same thing.

PlanB

Reaction score

Being on a busy street would be a non-starter for me. Trying to back a boat into your garage while traffic is flying by would suck. You're right about housing. We are on a corner lot. 1/3 acre completely flat with a lake view and pool but no RV garage. Had a realtor last week approach Jody about wanting to sell our house. It would sell easily for 400K (maybe 450K). The exterior of the house is updated as well as the roof, but it's still not a new house. A newer house across the street with an RV garage, about the same size (1800 sq.ft.) but on a smaller lot just sold for 700K. I have friends that are buying more house in SoCal these days for less than what you can get in Havasu. Crazy prices right now.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
It’s probably cheaper to update a house than to build a pool or RV garage at this point..

Plus you can get 100% use and enjoyment immediately out of a house with a pool and RV garage that needs “updating”.

That is exactly what our friend are going to do. If I lived in it full time I’d be in the same mindset. I just don’t care if I am in town for a few weeks. Most of the time that I am in town I am not in the house. I need space for our vehicles so that is that direction I am pushing. We have friends a couple of doors down that have pools so we will just use theirs. LOL If they need storage we will have the space for them in return.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Being on a busy street would be a non-starter for me. Trying to back a boat into your garage while traffic is flying by would suck. You're right about housing. We are on a corner lot. 1/3 acre completely flat with a lake view and pool but no RV garage. Had a realtor last week approach Jody about wanting to sell our house. It would sell easily for 400K (maybe 450K). The exterior of the house is updated as well as the roof, but it's still not a new house. A newer house across the street with an RV garage, about the same size (1800 sq.ft.) but on a smaller lot just sold for 700K. I have friends that are buying more house in SoCal these days for less than what you can get in Havasu. Crazy prices right now.

I agree, and my rule in Havasu is if there are painted lines and curbs, it is not a desirable street to live on. That being said there are some lower traffic streets with lines or curbs that are probably tolerable, but that is obviously on a case by case basis.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
When we were looking for houses, we looked for a fixer that we could add a pool and RV garage to. We found a good candidate on a corner lot, got an estimate for a 20x60x14(door) garage with a small studio casita off it. Just one room and a bathroom. 375k.. 🤣🤮 And that was in 2019 when lumber prices were lower.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
this is pretty much on par for whats needed and pricing for a garage build.. we are in a build right now..
once you get your property survey done thats going to determine the height of your garage.. city seems to be stuck at 16ft total height.
our other option was to dig down into land. that would mean new driveway(slope) to street and more money..

Does this height apply if doing a great room/studio on top of garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badgas

Reaction score
🤦‍♂️ Houses seemed to have doubled in price over past 3 years.

We just closed at $443K for a house that sold for $300K 3 years ago. Watching what the prices did even in the last year was crazy. We wanted an RV garage and a pool for under $460K and could not find anything under the mid $500k range. We did find them with pools and and no RV garage and vise versa so I flipped coin and decided to build a pool rather than a garage. I know that won't be cheap either but I had toys that needed to get into that garage.

Tank

Reaction score
We just closed at $443K for a house that sold for $300K 3 years ago. Watching what the prices did even in the last year was crazy. We wanted an RV garage and a pool for under $460K and could not find anything under the mid $500k range. We did find them with pools and and no RV garage and vise versa so I flipped coin and decided to build a pool rather than a garage. I know that won't be cheap either but I had toys that needed to get into that garage.
I think it was a better call to have RV garage than pool. Can't you get a pool for 50-75k? RV garages are looking (according to this thread) to be 100+ easy.

I suppose if things don't cool down out there we'll do the same. RV garage and location over pool and location.
Other option would be pool / good location that has some room I could put one of those steel structures up for now. Not as cool, but it gets the job done until RV garage can be built down the road.

Last edited: