Reaction score
Another pic of Chuck in QUICKDRAW

Attachments

• 1521398261898.jpg
    1521398261898.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 255

chevelleracer

Reaction score
My dads boat from 80s and 90s. Flatty came first and rand niba, then stepped up to the hydro to race super eliminator. No idea where the Flatty is now, but I’d love to find it. The hydro is still running but with Njba in the 6.0 index class with Matt Hudson piloting it. Pictures of my dads boats and also with Matt racing it with the purple trim last year. Also redid my sons jr. dragster to match my dads old Flatty.

Attachments

• 432A86E8-0799-459A-B3BA-1B8DFE09C5E4.jpeg
    432A86E8-0799-459A-B3BA-1B8DFE09C5E4.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 45213849-157D-4E3F-BC2E-1486067B35AE.jpeg
    45213849-157D-4E3F-BC2E-1486067B35AE.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 269
  • F9D3DC3F-C532-4A89-B473-B6996D669F03.jpeg
    F9D3DC3F-C532-4A89-B473-B6996D669F03.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 269
  • D03C3312-9627-4200-9391-9A55A2A2B686.jpeg
    D03C3312-9627-4200-9391-9A55A2A2B686.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 274
  • EEB2EC0F-3453-4FF6-A2C1-70474233BACB.jpeg
    EEB2EC0F-3453-4FF6-A2C1-70474233BACB.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 2FF29C02-DA22-460D-8FAD-3A3A01AC08A2.jpeg
    2FF29C02-DA22-460D-8FAD-3A3A01AC08A2.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 48E6A7D2-AB88-4FA8-B354-257FDCEC2025.jpeg
    48E6A7D2-AB88-4FA8-B354-257FDCEC2025.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 259

Vamodsquad

Reaction score
Very nice photos. A friend of mine James sent me this link so I thought I would tell the story about it. Probably long winded but felt the need tonight to say something.

I am the owner of the ICE COLE. I bought the boat from Mike Bell back in 1992 when I got back from Desert Storm. I was introduced "officially" to Mike Bell through my long time friend Tim Capaldi. Tim Capaldi and I went back to about 1982 when I first started tinkering around at the Capaldi Shop after school and on weekends. I was about 13 years old. I ended up working for Tim Capaldi, his construction company and racing with him until he passed away in April 1994. Mike Bell turned me on to Jack Wright "The Joker" BGH who bought the Blown BBC from Mike Bell and ran in IHBA and NJBA and set a few world records with it. Bitchin' engine set up. Sounds like it runs on a little bit of Nitro only on gas, strange but true. I bought the engine back from Jack Wright and brought it back from Oakhurst CA. Jack Wright and I are still friends to this day. He now races Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car. Mike Bell, Tim Capaldi, Ray Capaldi, Troy Jones, Frank Sandoval, Jack Wright, Sean Giroux, Pete Flemming, Davey Allison all pitched when they could and helped put the ICE COLE back into race shape for me. I am forever grateful to them all. The Shot Gun Ford motor that Mike Bell used to run to promote his Motorcraft distribution company was sold to Dino Warda where he raced with it in the "Perverted Boat" and won races then sold it to another boat racer back south somewhere. I couldn't afford that Ford motor at the time. That deal was like $50K just for the engine. Way out of my league. All my money was spent on the hull and the blown BBC. It wasn’t cheap by any means even by today’s standards. I later had the opportunity to buy the record setting Arias motor also seen in these photos which belonged to Jim Cole and was a partnership between Mike Bell and Jim Cole. The Arias engine was sitting in the engine room at Jim Cole’s for years collecting dust. Eddie Knox bought it up about the year of 1998-2000 or so right before Jim Cole shut down the shop.

Mike Bell, Tim & Ray Capaldi and Jerry "The Hammer" Hanks taught me how to really drive a BGF and how to get it out of the gate to take a set. I lived at Jerry Hanks house in Bull Head city for a little time period to take advantage of the coaching/friendship and the river access we had. Jerry lived right on the river. Jerry Hanks was the one who taught Mike Bell how to drive a BGF 12 years earlier. Sadly I lost touch with my friend Jerry Hanks after Mike died. Jerry and his wife Sandy moved I think to Seattle or northern California where I lost his information.

I've had the boat down to Parker a few times over the past 15 years (not nearly enough) where she attracts quite the crowd when we show up. Amazing machine that was originally built for Blown Fuel Flat to duplicate Jim Cole's "Spooky" #660 that Jerry Hanks drove like a mad man. Not the Red White & Blue Spooky. All the ICE COLE hull, hardware, running gear, plates etc is all set up for Blown Fuel Flat. Jerry Hanks changed Mike Bells mind about running BFF and ran BGF with it. Shortly after that time period they outlawed BFF. An entirely different breed of drivers. Amazing machines and amazing men. God bless you all.

The ICE COLE was originally built and painted to match the first SPOOKY (Orange, Yellow & White) (most people don’t remember it) from the early 70's boat and Mike Bell had it updated later with the color scheme you see here by Bill Carter and Steve Stanford. Still has some of the original colors and lines from the original spooky boat but the colors are different. One of the finest paint jobs I’ve ever seen even still to this date.

Would love to take it out again, play with it and maybe race it. Lost interest in racing it when my friends started dying off. Tim Capaldi, Mike Bell, Denver and a bad wreck with Clinton Anderson all within a short span of time had my head swimming. Plus I don’t really have anyone to help me with it because lord knows you can’t do this deal on your own by yourself with your girlfriend.

The ICE COLE is just as beautiful as everyone remembers. I keep her in tip top shape to honor the legacy and the history that was handed down to me by Jim Cole, Jerry Hanks, Mike Bell and the love and labor that was put into for me by my lost friends. The boat has way too much sentimental value and history for any price tag. Mike and I were friends until the very end. We had a family bond because of the boat. He made me promise when I bought it that I would never cut a hole in it for a capsule, I would never change the boat name, I would never change the number and that I would always take care of her and always seek my own air. He gave me a bunch of racing advice over the years which I still use in regular business today.

I sure miss the hey-day and the hoopla of the 80’s drag boat racing. The people, the colors, the T-shirts, the boat names. It’s never really been the same to me after losing my friends. But their memory and the era lives on because of websites like this, which puts a smile on my face and a big thank you for those who never let it die.

Tim Cooper
Interesting story. Thanks for the post !

bonesfab

Reaction score
My introduction to drag boats was a neighbor up the street. late 70' early eighties I come home from school and my neighbor had a BGH out front. Double Vision. Boss ford powered. I was in awe. Jordan bros racing. Bill and Kirk. They also had a BGJ that Randy Mueller drove. Rip. Then early nineties, A friend ran a BGH called Hammer Time. Brian Christianson drove it. Then I was working at a speed shop that was associated with Bad Moon RIsing BGH or BAH. Bud and Mark who run Team C performance. One day I want a Tr2 or 4 to put my Arias in. or a 20 Schiada. I still have the copy of Drag Boats Illustrated with the Coors Light Special on the cover that i got my first trip to the boat drags.

If Looks Could Kill

Reaction score
My introduction to drag boats was a neighbor up the street. late 70' early eighties I come home from school and my neighbor had a BGH out front. Double Vision. Boss ford powered. I was in awe. Jordan bros racing. Bill and Kirk. They also had a BGJ that Randy Mueller drove. Rip. Then early nineties, A friend ran a BGH called Hammer Time. Brian Christianson drove it. Then I was working at a speed shop that was associated with Bad Moon RIsing BGH or BAH. Bud and Mark who run Team C performance. One day I want a Tr2 or 4 to put my Arias in. or a 20 Schiada. I still have the copy of Drag Boats Illustrated with the Coors Light Special on the cover that i got my first trip to the boat drags.

post 85 pic 13 is a pic of Bad Moon Rising from the 80's, Marks son Kevin is now driving their new boat, has a blown alcohol motor but are running pro outlaw with it
he is tied in points from last year with Craig Collett, the race got blown out and they will be running in March at Bakersfield to determine last years high points champ

bonesfab

Reaction score
post 85 pic 13 is a pic of Bad Moon Rising from the 80's, Marks son Kevin is now driving their new boat, has a blown alcohol motor but are running pro outlaw with it
he is tied in points from last year with Craig Collett, the race got blown out and they will be running in March at Bakersfield to determine last years high points champ

Glad to hear Mark is still into it. Haven't talked with him in 10 years or more.

KevinR

Reaction score

I remember standing next to Bad Moon Rising in the pits at Marine Stadium and being mesmerized by the graphics on the deck and the whole set up. I believe the hull was black. Probably late 60s or early 70s?

One2go

Reaction score
Love this thread, I need to get out of the lounge more often.Brings me back as well.late 70s started going to lake Ming and that got the hook set.All my buddies had flats or would soon be buying one,me as well.Bought a Howard step runner that was former race boat "Super Duck".Did needles and Parker deal with that boat for years. Wish I had kept it, Lol. Those days were fun stuff. Seeing all these pics and stories is awesome!!!!

Finally made it

Reaction score
Went through some boxes and came up with this. Remember Tim well. Their shop was in Canoga Park and I bought Tim’s white Blazer with the blue and pink pin striping from him. We lived in Canoga at the time.

Attachments

• B2B6D387-7FB7-4F0E-8E92-CD3CC0940F20.jpeg
    B2B6D387-7FB7-4F0E-8E92-CD3CC0940F20.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 152

Hammer

Reaction score
Went through some boxes and came up with this. Remember Tim well. Their shop was in Canoga Park and I bought Tim’s white Blazer with the blue and pink pin striping from him. We lived in Canoga at the time.

My brothers favorite drag boat growing up. Fatal Attraction was mine. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamBam

Reaction score
Great pics. Takes me back. I remember crewing on a couple boats "Liquid Lust" a Howard T-Deck Flatty, "Hydro Therapy" was his brothers boat. I have to say a Kurtis 500 Hydro has to be the cleanest looking hydro ever made, just love the lines.
Good times in the late 80's and early 90's at Ming, Castaic, and Puddingstone. I never made the races at Clearlake, Redding or Firebird though.