WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I just can’t win

Taboma

Reaction score
Dont you have a Raptor?

Doesn’t it have the trailer knob in it?

And finally, aren’t you retired?

Asking for a friend.

Well yeah, what's yer point 😂 I had that same knob in my 12' Platinum too, but ya see, I always thought it was just another version of the steering wheel. Then I though but wait, what if it held an arc, or backed straight up, I dunno, I only got a smart phone a year ago, just started streaming 6 months ago, hell, I've got 15 years or so of tech before I'm caught up as it is. ;)

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
So, I have only read about 1/2 of this but I need to ask:

I generally drive Fords and wheels falling off is something I effectively never hear of. Friends with Dodges that are the same (although the Dodges have their fair share of other issues :cool:). From what I am reading on here, this type of thing, for various reasons, is common with the chevy?

I know they are well known to have front end issues but this is downright scary.

Something I am missing here ?
If you look at the picture, the ball stud broke. I've studied lots of ball joint failures as I'm in the business. This truck has the ball joint loaded such that the weight of the truck is forcing the ball stud into the housing...not trying to pull it out of the housing like the GMT400 and earlier vehicles. Its a very robust design. This failure occured because the there was either a wheel collision that put an excessive sheer load on the stud, or because a bending force was applied to the stud due to either ball seizure in the bearing/housing or because it was asked to articulate past it limits of motion, fracturing the ball stud. Without seeing the lift kit, it's tough to know whether or not that contributed. It also could be garbage ball joints that were replaced at some point that weren't really up to the task. Its not a GM thing...GM only has problems with the offset drag link that puts shitty loading on the idler and pitman arms.

DLC

Reaction score
Hey Vic sorry to hear about your 3 some! When it rains it pours!

have you thought about just getting a commuter car /truck Ford Ranger or something 30 plus mpg just for work and good mileage ? Maybe some thing a year or 2 old then you can get your nice big old 4x4 for the family.... the Cummins mega cab is right up your alley!

it sucks getting a bitchen truck and then wearing it out driving the highway like you do! Diesel maintenance is expensive. Then you’ll also have a back up truck for when shit happens or when your pops needs to borrow your truck !

here is a Ford Escape you can get a 60m or 150,000 mI warranty car max. commuter car throw away payment would be $200 bucks
278E7353-7953-4E50-84E2-112A953459D6.jpeg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If you look at the picture, the ball stud broke. I've studied lots of ball joint failures as I'm in the business. This truck has the ball joint loaded such that the weight of the truck is forcing the ball stud into the housing...not trying to pull it out of the housing like the GMT400 and earlier vehicles. Its a very robust design. This failure occured because the there was either a wheel collision that put an excessive sheer load on the stud, or because a bending force was applied to the stud due to either ball seizure in the bearing/housing or because it was asked to articulate past it limits of motion, fracturing the ball stud. Without seeing the lift kit, it's tough to know whether or not that contributed. It also could be garbage ball joints that were replaced at some point that weren't really up to the task. Its not a GM thing...GM only has problems with the offset drag link that puts shitty loading on the idler and pitman arms.
I said it in the first post. The truck has a shitty turning radius. Ha s since I got it. Later I was told there’s blocks that keep it from turning past a certain points to prevent what happened from happening. The guy at America’s tire cranked the truck as hard to the left as he could. ( I never max it out like that.) then he hit the dip with the wheel maxed out and the truck landed on the floor. Is it his fault? I don’t know... maybe they are just old. I’ve said it a long time my truck is quirky. I know what it like and what it doesn’t. My mistake was handing somebody else the keys

707dog

Reaction score
vic got to ask yourself how long do i want to polish this turd for? cause at the end no matter how much you polish it its still gonna be a turd. glad it happened in a parking lot and not with your family strapped in headed down the freeway.

nowski

Reaction score
I said it in the first post. The truck has a shitty turning radius. Ha s since I got it. Later I was told there’s blocks that keep it from turning past a certain points to prevent what happened from happening. The guy at America’s tire cranked the truck as hard to the left as he could. ( I never max it out like that.) then he hit the dip with the wheel maxed out and the truck landed on the floor. Is it his fault? I don’t know... maybe they are just old. I’ve said it a long time my truck is quirky. I know what it like and what it doesn’t. My mistake was handing somebody else the keys

Lets play "What If".

What if the so called blocks were compromised and the wheel didn't fall off at Americas Tire, would you or your family be at risk?

What if the truck fell on the ground and an America's Tire employee was hurt, would you be liable?

What if your truck went out of control (do to a known unsafe condition) and hurt an innocent pedestrian or motorist, would you be liable?

What if the bread winner of the truck was hurt do to a faulty front end, and was no longer able to support his family do to an injury, your response here?

The what if's can go on and on and on. How ever you look at the Big Picture, your a very lucky guy if you ask me. Maybe the thread should have been titled:
I dodged a bullet in Norco today...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I would be liable, that’s why I carry insurance

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Now I’m curious. If a boat shop takes tour boat out to a lake test and the prop is damaged, should they get it repaired or replaced, or tell the customer not my problem.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Now I’m curious. If a boat shop takes tour boat out to a lake test and the prop is damaged, should they get it repaired or replaced, or tell the customer not my problem.

If I struck something and damaged it, absolutely. I would just do it. If the engine blows during a routine lake test where I am never ringing the bloody piss out of it...... well I would empathize with the customer, and would do everything in my power to take care of them in a fair manner to both of us, but ultimately i was just the guy driving it at the time. That doesn't automatically make it my fault that the engine blew. I would never tell the customer "not my problem" tho. Thats just fucking stupid

nowski

Reaction score
I would be liable, that’s why I carry insurance
What If you didn't carry enough insurance? Would all of your assets be a target for Larry Parker and colleagues?

My point again is your very lucky how this has played out so far and most importantly nobody got hurt. However you may see it differently but that's your perspective...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If I struck something and damaged it, absolutely. I would just do it. If the engine blows during a routine lake test where I am never ringing the bloody piss out of it...... well I would empathize with the customer, and would do everything in my power to take care of them in a fair manner to both of us, but ultimately i was just the guy driving it at the time. That doesn't automatically make it my fault that the engine blew. I would never tell the customer "not my problem" tho. Thats just fucking stupid
And that’s where it is now. I’m not saying it’s their fault, but the response was the wrong one and that’s absolutely their fault.

nowski

Reaction score
And that’s where it is now. I’m not saying it’s their fault, but the response was the wrong one and that’s absolutely their fault.
If you feel Americas Tire is at fault do to their negligence simply file a small court claim.

My brother in-law took his claim a step farther and was heard on Judge Judy, he won.

Sounds like the ball is in your court...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If you feel Americas Tire is at fault do to their negligence simply file a small court claim.

My brother in-law took his claim a step farther and was heard on Judge Judy, he won.

Sounds like the ball is in your court...
Claims been filed. Mechanic is headed to my house now to get the truck fixed and the detail guy just got to my job to wax dads truck and see if everything buffs out

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Maxing out the steering box wont cause what happened in a parking lot at low speed.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
vic got to ask yourself how long do i want to polish this turd for? cause at the end no matter how much you polish it its still gonna be a turd. glad it happened in a parking lot and not with your family strapped in headed down the freeway.
Theres alot of newer trucks that I would trust less to get my family down the highway lol

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Still shouldn't happen. That ball joint was ready to fail, the question is why. If it's a 200k ball joint....no further questioning neccessary
I’m not gonna argue, just going to turn in the documentation I was given to the claim department, and see what happens.

Your ad here

Reaction score
This is borrowing trouble. The part that broke is a wearable mechanical device. Maybe the guy excelled the failure but he didn't excell the wear that caused it to break. Like others have said, be happy it happened in a parking lot at low speed instead of at highway speed with you family in the vehicle.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’m not gonna argue, just going to turn in the documentation I was given to the claim department, and see what happens.
I'm not arguing, im reasoning lol. At any rate, good luck with everything.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
This is borrowing trouble. The part that broke is a wearable mechanical device. Maybe the guy excelled the failure but he didn't excell the wear that caused it to break. Like others have said, be happy it happened in a parking lot at low speed instead of at highway speed with you family in the vehicle.
I’m happy it went the way it did because even though there’s people that disagree it’s getting paid for and not by me.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Vic I didn't read all the replies, nor do I care too..

The shop shouldn't have said "not my problem".

I'm going to share something that was told to me in my youth that has served me very well over the course of my life and it's something I will engrain into my children (other than the pirates code LOL).

"I DON'T CARE WHO'S FAULT IT IS, IT'S YOUR FAULT."

Sitting on the side of a dune and a buggy comes and runs you over? YOUR FAULT. Should have been somewhere more visible, shoulda heard him coming and moved to safety.. shoulda woulda coulda..

Driving down the road and some car swerves and hits you? YOUR FAULT. Always have an out.. Always drive defensively etc..

If you have a truck that is so god damn fragile that some attendant can't drive it 20' without a wheel falling off of it? I don't even think I need to say it.. I can't hardly believe you would be driving that thing, let alone putting family in it, or even worse potentially hauling loads with it? Fuck all that..

While the shop is totally in the wrong for the "not my problem". The actual "root" of the problem is the front end on that truck. If I ever had a vehicle that I thought the wheel could "potentially" fall off in any kinda circumstances, it would be gone in 2 seconds flat.

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Vic I didn't read all the replies, nor do I care too..

The shop shouldn't have said "not my problem".

I'm going to share something that was told to me in my youth that has served me very well over the course of my life and it's something I will engrain into my children (other than the pirates code LOL).

"I DON'T CARE WHO'S FAULT IT IS, IT'S YOUR FAULT."

Sitting on the side of a dune and a buggy comes and runs you over? YOUR FAULT. Should have been somewhere more visible, shoulda heard him coming and moved to safety.. shoulda woulda coulda..

Driving down the road and some car swerves and hits you? YOUR FAULT. Always have an out.. Always drive defensively etc..

If you have a truck that is so god damn fragile that some attendant can't drive it 20' without a wheel falling off of it? I don't even think I need to say it.. I can't hardly believe you would be driving that thing, let alone putting family in it, or even worse potentially hauling loads with it? Fuck all that..

While the shop is totally in the wrong for the "not my problem". The actual "root" of the problem is the front end on that truck. If I ever had a vehicle that I thought the wheel could "potentially" fall off in any kinda circumstances, it would be gone in 2 seconds flat.

RD
Believe me that truck is not fragile.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Believe me that truck is not fragile.

Turning the steering wheel to the limit and hitting a dip causes the wheels to fall off? That ain't exactly "like a rock" or "built ford tough". LOL. Something is fragile about it.

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Turning the steering wheel to the limit and hitting a dip causes the wheels to fall off? That ain't exactly "like a rock" or "built ford tough". LOL. Something is fragile about it.

RD
It’s just like your body... your joints only allow so much movement. Then put an extreme amount of pressure on them and they pop out. Your kids do BJJ right You ever dislocate someone’s shoulder? Your ankle is fragile 😛

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
If the truck never left the parking lot after you dropped it off, no way I’d pin this failure on America’s Tire. You can’t be serious that a good ball joint would fail with steering cranked and truck rolls through a small dip in a parking lot? Their response sucks, but they should not be liable because a customer dropped off a vehicle with steering limitations. Now, possibly if you told them before handing over your keys and they accepted responsibility for a vehicle with steering mechanical deficiencies. I’d pull the claim, you didn’t disclose that your truck’s steering was to under no circumstances be cranked as it would cause ball joint failure.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
It’s just like your body... your joints only allow so much movement. Then put an extreme amount of pressure on them and they pop out. Your kids do BJJ right You ever dislocate someone’s shoulder? Your ankle is fragile 😛
Not my ankle. Maybe daves 😝

If you're lucky they will just pass it through without looking. But if it goes to court it will be blamed on an inadequet lift kit installation where the stops were not properly situated to accommodate the new limits of the suspension, or it will be blamed on a simply worn serviceable part.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If the truck never left the parking lot after you dropped it off, no way I’d pin this failure on America’s Tire. You can’t be serious that a good ball joint would fail with steering cranked and truck rolls through a small dip in a parking lot? Their response sucks, but they should not be liable because a customer dropped off a vehicle with steering limitations. Now, possibly if you told them before handing over your keys and they accepted responsibility for a vehicle with steering mechanical deficiencies. I’d pull the claim, you didn’t disclose that your truck’s steering was to under no circumstances be cranked as it would cause ball joint failure.
I guess that’s where we are going to have different opinions. Even with a brand new truck I’m not maxing out the steering. There’s no need. It makes a weird noise and it’s telling you it doesn’t like it. I’m not going to max it out, disregard the noise, and slam on the gas s because it’s near closing time and I’m in a hurry.

nowski

Reaction score
What if America's Tire deny's your claim? Will you take it to small claims?

I prefer The Peoples Court over Judge Judy, Judge Marilyn Milian is Hot if you ask me...

Maybe you should have bought a Chevy Truck to start with...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What if America's Tire deny's your claim? Will you take it to small claims?

I prefer The Peoples Court over Judge Judy, Judge Marilyn Milian is Hot if you ask me...
No it’s cheaper for me to just never use them again. Thats me, my wife, my mom, my dad, my brother, and his wife. That’s thousands a year they lose. And they know this. They can see how many tires we’ve bought from them over the last 20 years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There has been a theme of "fix yore broken truck" for years with this thing.

It is mechanical, shit wears out and brakes. Just be glad it happened there and not anywhere else. It is not your fault they broke it, but it is your fault that is was worn to the point of breaking when someone else got in to move it and does not follow your protocol.

So it comes back to "fix yore broken truck" :)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Wife’s suburban actually needs tires right now. And so does pop’s truck.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I'm going to share something that was told to me in my youth that has served me very well over the course of my life and it's something I will engrain into my children (other than the Pirates Code LOL
. RD

Pirates Code???

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Wife’s suburban actually needs tires right now. And so does pop’s truck.

they don’t care, Sadly. I did tire business exclusively from 1992 to 2018 with America’s Tire. They started damaging wheels and then the final straw of leaving lugnuts loose. F-that. I buy at a dealership now, as they price match. No wheel damage, no loose lugs, and they perform every vehicle service I may need. Win win and time saved.

Nordie

Reaction score
Finally someone said it Shit happens, fucking suck it up.

It's kind of like Racey's thread about replacing the injectors, maybe he should sue the fuel/oil company because his injectors took a shit. When his truck was built it was not designed for ultra low sulfer fuel.

Fix the truck and move on, or buy a new one. Stop with the pitty party already...

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Jesus Christ I log in to see what new truck Vic bought you guys are bitching about shit that happened freaking last week move on.
I’m leaning towards the tradesman gasser I just need to find one. The one in Victorville has a the smaller gears

Attachments

• 166D1C73-754D-4D85-8BEC-482C4AC630EC.jpeg
    166D1C73-754D-4D85-8BEC-482C4AC630EC.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 85

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don’t want a payment over 600 and I can make the gasser fit the budget

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

You can turn my truck any which way ya want and drive it off curbs and I wouldn't care.. :confused: I can promise you the wheels won't fall off.. LOL

RD

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You can turn my truck any which way ya want and drive it off curbs and I wouldn't care.. :confused: I can promise you the wheels won't fall off.. LOL

RD
I’ll take you up on that...

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I don’t want a payment over 600 and I can make the gasser fit the budget
Are you a member of the building trades credit union in Orange. They will match interest rates if a dealer will come in lower then them.