WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rolling power blackouts in effect across Texas as massive winter storm drives demand for electricity

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The shop has 4 engines on order already. I suspect there will be a lot more than that but thats what was available Monday.

There are stories on the lake from 2012 of single mechanics replacing as many as 10 in a single week. With the industry supply shortages right now I dont suspect that will be duplicable but it will be an insane year for sure

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
The shop has 4 engines on order already. I suspect there will be a lot more than that but thats what was available Monday.

There are stories on the lake from 2012 of single mechanics replacing as many as 10 in a single week. With the industry supply shortages right now I dont suspect that will be duplicable but it will be an insane year for sure

start ordering as many engines your credit will allow ;)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
20210219_131636.jpg
20210219_131645.jpg
20210219_131651.jpg
20210219_131659.jpg

buck35

Reaction score
Been there ,heat up a teakettle and pour it slowly down the spout. Once it's flowing itll open right up again.
Edit ,if above freezing.

buck35

Reaction score
Good to hear we were in a deep freeze a few years ago . it would thaw out a bit for a few hours then be 15 or 20 at night , huge icicles hanging and the downspout frozen solid. Ugh!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You are so used to being lied at from the White House Press Sec that the truth rubs you the wrong way.

FFS people pull your head out of each others asses and fact check some of the crap you are being fed.

Fact is Squeezer green energy doesn’t work in this kinda weather.. There is a reason Germany went back to traditional during these storms.

The proof is in the pudding buddy.. your press sec just lied to you. Just because you choose to believe it doesn’t mean it’s true.

Singleton

Reaction score
Fact is Squeezer green energy doesn’t work in this kinda weather.. There is a reason Germany went back to traditional during these storms.

The proof is in the pudding buddy.. your press sec just lied to you. Just because you choose to believe it doesn’t mean it’s true.

30% of the Texas grid is renewable - solar or wind turbines
either of those work when covered or frozen
great example of why renewable energy is not the answer, yet not one MSM is covering that data point

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yup.

Although Hydro has its critics as well.

For my $$ it would be small scale nuclear. “Candu” style reactors with solar on every new structure. The solar gets dumped into the “charging“ grid with nuclear covering base loads.

I would take hydro all day long..

Taboma

Reaction score
Will put this in the political section as well. Did the Biden Admin screw TX on this?

Wondering if you read this and who's desk it came from ? I read it, in a whole lot of fancy legal mumbo-jumbo, it's the dept of energy granting ERCOT permission during this emergency to exceed environmental regs during this crisis as needed. It essentially only grants the waver when absolutely necessary, it's giving permission, not refusing it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wondering if you read this and who's desk it came from ? I read it, in a whole lot of fancy legal mumbo-jumbo, it's the dept of energy granting ERCOT permission during this emergency to exceed environmental regs during this crisis as needed. It essentially only grants the waver when absolutely necessary, it's giving permission, not refusing it.

thats not how I read it. I had some shots and beers along with a good meal though.

i will look at it later

Wolskis

Reaction score

That's how I read it. My plant has a limit of 2.00 ppm nox out of the stack. If we could produce 50mw more power by exceeding the 2ppm nox this letter would allow that for the specified time period. Makes sense to me.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That's how I read it. My plant has a limit of 2.00 ppm nox out of the stack. If we could produce 50mw more power by exceeding the 2ppm nox this letter would allow that for the specified time period. Makes sense to me.

did you get to page three that is circled in red?

i agree on the legal mumbo crap. Honestly it confuses me as it seems to go in circles

Taboma

Reaction score

i agree on the legal mumbo crap. Honestly it confuses me as it seems to go in circles

Yes, it's stating that ERCOT is allowed to exceed the regs ONLY during the times and for the periods ERCOT deems necessary to mitigate the emergency conditions. It's redundant to what was stated previously as well as a reminder that it's not a blanket exemption --- "As and when Necessary Only"

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes, it's stating that ERCOT is allowed to exceed the regs ONLY during the times and for the periods ERCOT deems necessary to mitigate the emergency conditions. It's redundant to what was stated previously as well as a reminder that it's not a blanket exemption --- "As and when Necessary Only"
But that does however mean it is from this point forward, at ERCOT's sole discretion and I did not see a termination date on that letter. I think this is a good thing

Wolskis

Reaction score

This was a declared transmission emergency by the Feds, meaning, I don't care how you guys do it but get all assets up and running NOW. I got a call like that back in 1995 when a Nor'easter rolled thru VA.

Wolskis

Reaction score
But that does however mean it is from this point forward, at ERCOT's sole discretion and I did not see a termination date on that letter. I think this is a good thing

ERCOT has declared the system back to normal http://www.ercot.com/. I'm sure the word will go out soon that those dirty running assets must now comply with their air permit or shutdown.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

thanks. Lawyer talk-written word. I hate it

farmo83

Reaction score
We'll see how things go with ERCOT. The media continues to amaze me with their reporting of this.

There was a large deal last week about ERCOT agreeing to remove price caps on power. This was done to incentivize generators to produce as much as possible by raising the amount of money they could make.

Also now there is a large uproar over floating power plans mainly through Griddy.

I have 0 sympathy for anyone that got hung out to dry with this. If you don't know what your signing up for, then do you research, it's not my responsibility as a tax payer to pick up the tab for your decisions.

Wedgy

Reaction score
In greater Lubbock, 5 degrees currently, the wind has eased up, nowhere near yesterday's lows. Clear and sunny was a blessing yesterday. Hopefully today is the same.

I live in Xcel Energy territory, outside of the Texas grid. We have a massive coal fired plant. Power is still on here, so far.

Stay warm and cozy

TCHB

Reaction score
Lets be honest.... At least it was a 40yr storm that shut TX down. CA has winds every year and the power shuts off.
It is all about money. I have seen air intakes on gas turbines clogged by ice. Yes you can engineer the risks down it just takes money. High Voltage transmission lines are very expensive to go underground. The last time I was involved in putting a 220kv line underground the price was 30 million for 8 miles. Can not imagine what a 500KV line for 500 miles.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
30F driving across the desert this morning.
For us:
150KW EV charging stations delivering 31KW if working at all. 350KW units puked.
The USA ain't ready for EVs.

For them:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
With a garage conversion ongoing, we have zero insulation and a ton of holes to the outside for a good chunk of our house.

Its much too cold for our new heat pump HVAC to work efficiently. I can't wait for this month's gas bill.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well, I guess the power grid did better this time, but then again, it wasn't as cold as long (in SE Texas) as it was last year. Only about 83K on the Ercot grid with no power on the coldest night. At least better than the 5 mil in 2021.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Yeah I was checking the grid conditions periodically and we had a lot of excess capacity.