WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Terrifying

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Insane. But really, the left WANTS us to be very limited( controled) with our movements. People who are corralled into cities, with short range vehicles and no way to store fuel are very, very easy to control. Welcome to the start of their “ utopia”. 😡

DWC

Reaction score
Strange move IMO. Take something that you’re really not good at and go all in. I don’t agree with but kinda get going that way with smaller vehicles. Don’t get going that way with trucks and larger vehicles.
Guessing it has to do with a well established company trading at a P/E of $12 vs $1,200 at Tesla. These decisions are made at the executive level and approved by the board.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My 14yo boy was already talking about how to make a liquid fuel. With gas hitting europe levels here, fun stuff is going to get expensive. I hope he figures it out quick!

DLC

Reaction score
This is just one more freedom being taken away from a free people!
My truck can go 700 miles on a tank 45 gallons diesel, why in the world do I want to stop for hours to recharge batteries, and how in the hell are you going to tow a trailer either for work or play....

so how much R&D ( new development) are they going to do for existing models between now and then? Might have to buy your 2036 chubby 2500hd in Mexico

if the all new battery rollout is as good as DEF rollout we are all screwed!

might be a good idea to just buy a new motor and transmission so ya have a back up! Just think what it would be worth in 2045....

spectras only

Reaction score
I would rather have the nuclear option the new Mars Rover has. By 2035, electricity cost will go astronomical, driven by demand, like oil/gas prices were manipulated by greed in the past and present. The average people get fucked no matter what , green energy or fossil fuels, lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Remember when all the auto mfgs said they would have autonomous cars for sale by 2020?

I’m not too worried about 2035. To support that initiative the charging infrastructure needed nationwide to do it is astronomical. Even if they went with a battery swap out as opposed to charging. You’d need a truck stop sized facility all over every highway.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
No worries for me. I just put in my order for my bullet train pass, The government is going to get it right one of these times. :)

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Think wireless phone charger.... but adapted to your EV. Huge solar farms, which feeds the charging strips in the roadways. You’ll be charged by the mile with an individual EIN.

They’ve been testing this for sometime now.
Coast to coast, and never need to stop for fuel.

This is the only way a EV makes sense for me. Seeing the line of Telsa’s parked changing at Harris Ranch every time we stop there, has me saying No way I’d buy into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
And in 2025 they will reverse and say 60 gas/diesel and 40 electric. We keep moving towards electric powered everything, yet the grids can’t support it.
As a gas/diesel powered Individual, until states change how road maintenance $$ is generated, we are F’d. Gas tax alone can’t support it anymore with less gas being purchased. Idiots pushing an agenda (follow the money) without thinking about long term impacts!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And in 2025 they will reverse and say 60 gas/diesel and 40 electric. We keep moving towards electric powered everything, yet the grids can’t support it.
As a gas/diesel powered Individual, until states change how road maintenance $$ is generated, we are F’d. Gas tax alone can’t support it anymore with less gas being purchased. Idiots pushing an agenda (follow the money) without thinking about long term impacts!

It is just the push they need to begin charging by the mile for road taxes. That is the true reason for the push for EVs. They are only cheap for now.. in our lifetimes it will cost more to charge your car on the road than it does to fill it up with gas.

Taboma

Reaction score
Look around you, when I did I learned I wasn't just old, I was a dinosaur approaching extinction. The world is marketing me out of existence, the world doesn't give two shits what I want anymore.
What do you see when you look around ? What I see are young people, bumpin to tunes in their own world's isolated with headphones while their vision is locked on a small screen they're holding in their hands, seemingly oblivious to all else.

The vast majority of you RDPers reading about GM and other's future plans are grasping with futility at the things of your life you enjoy, you want them to be there for you on your continuing journey. Yeah, me too, sorry, ain't happening.

By 2035 GM will no longer care what YOU want, they're targeting what today's 18 year olds will want when they're in their 30's. And it ain't BBC's for the win. 😖

Considering what my vehicle and engine choices were in the late 70's and 80's, I could never in a million years imagined or predicted I'd have the mega-horsepower giants available today.
My son is mid-40's, is like the song, a little bit of country and a little bit of rockin-roll --- digs the big cubes and ICE, but in his business, he pushes the shit out of sparky tech things and loves them.

The other day his buddy who bought the loaded murdered out 2019 Tesla "Ludacris" with 12K miles for $ 69K, that sold new for well over $ 110K, flew back to Texas and left it in my son's charge, to enjoy. I tell ya, my son is absolutely in love with that car, head over heels bonkers. The performance, the comfort, the quiet, the tech, he's sold, it's not a matter of if, it's when and which model.

I've never driven one or ridden in one, but I must say, he's got me curious.

The transformation hopefully won't be abrupt, hopefully the world will allow a co-existence and most of you will enjoy having a choice. The trick is predicting which of the beasts to stash away for your eternity, before they're all gone. Every time I find a ' Keeper" another better one emerges, but like musical chairs, eventually the music will stop.

76sanger

Reaction score
This will not happen. There is no way there is enough electrical capacity to accommodate such a thing in that time frame.
We all hope this is true. But us saying this and believing this will not happen is silly. The way these fucked up politicians are moving us into being globalist and not Nationalist is scary as hell. This administration wants us to be ruled by the UN badly, will it happen this time around, I dont know. But the push is there. There (democratic) "UTOPIA" is everybody is equal. I hate these people!!!

hallett21

Reaction score
Couldn’t you make the argument that EV would make us more “nationalist”vs oil that is traded on a global market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectras only

Reaction score
Maglev technology has been around for decades. Yet, only a handful systems running around the world today. When I first heard about it, it was predicted to be the future for urban transportation. Catenary system and subways are the most practical and been around from 1900 in Europe.
No worries kids, you could always get a ICE car from China or India in the future. 🤔 :D

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
We will probably never see full electric in our lives, the cost to create the infrastructure is so costly the money grubbing bitches who would have to loose profits for decades will never lay out that kind of cash.

You never see a fucking electric turd in any apocalypse films do ya? Wonder why that is?

We have enough oil under the continental US to last for at least 200 years at current consumption, without any need for foreign oil...offshore oil is just a money stealing scam for politicians to steal from citizens as they get wealthy off the kick backs or their own investments in those businesses.

I am a die hard chevy fan, have always been one...but this statement?

Fuck you GM.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I question the impact to the environment... How is building large solar farms and wind farms more environmentally friendly than burning fossil fuel. Think of the environmental impact to all of the wildlife in the desert- desert turtles, birds, plants, etc... that these large solar farms and wind farms destroy. Its all horse shit in my opinion. The same people pushing to reduce the carbon foot print and going electric are the same people fighting for endanger species, closing lands etc. These are the same people who are endangering and destroying the things they are fighting for.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
This will not happen. There is no way there is enough electrical capacity to accommodate such a thing in that time frame.

* The government is mandating EV and Kalifornia is leading the way
* The government doesn't care about the grid or energy or capacity or brown outs
* The government only cares about power (political) and herding the sheep

This is the "green new deal" in action and GM going into EV only enables them to continue feeding and feeding off the government tit

Big companies play ball with the political elites so they can stay relevant and get more business and $$$

Why do you think Walmart, Home Depot, etc. were always allowed to be open while smaller companies were/are crushed

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I question the impact to the environment... How is building large solar farms and wind farms more environmentally friendly than burning fossil fuel. Think of the environmental impact to all of the wildlife in the desert- desert turtles, birds, plants, etc... that these large solar farms and wind farms destroy. Its all horse shit in my opinion. The same people pushing to reduce the carbon foot print and going electric are the same people fighting for endanger species, closing lands etc. These are the same people who are endangering and destroying the things they are fighting for.

You must know this: It isn't and never was about the environment. It's about power and $$$ for the elites as the Marxists are taking over the US and the world

They want us talking about racism and the environment as it distracts the sheep while they continue their destructionist, Marixst/Facist narrative

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Look around you, when I did I learned I wasn't just old, I was a dinosaur approaching extinction. The world is marketing me out of existence, the world doesn't give two shits what I want anymore.
What do you see when you look around ? What I see are young people, bumpin to tunes in their own world's isolated with headphones while their vision is locked on a small screen they're holding in their hands, seemingly oblivious to all else.

The vast majority of you RDPers reading about GM and other's future plans are grasping with futility at the things of your life you enjoy, you want them to be there for you on your continuing journey. Yeah, me too, sorry, ain't happening.

By 2035 GM will no longer care what YOU want, they're targeting what today's 18 year olds will want when they're in their 30's. And it ain't BBC's for the win. 😖

Considering what my vehicle and engine choices were in the late 70's and 80's, I could never in a million years imagined or predicted I'd have the mega-horsepower giants available today.
My son is mid-40's, is like the song, a little bit of country and a little bit of rockin-roll --- digs the big cubes and ICE, but in his business, he pushes the shit out of sparky tech things and loves them.

The other day his buddy who bought the loaded murdered out 2019 Tesla "Ludacris" with 12K miles for $ 69K, that sold new for well over $ 110K, flew back to Texas and left it in my son's charge, to enjoy. I tell ya, my son is absolutely in love with that car, head over heels bonkers. The performance, the comfort, the quiet, the tech, he's sold, it's not a matter of if, it's when and which model.

The transformation hopefully won't be abrupt, hopefully the world will allow a co-existence and most of you will enjoy having a choice. The trick is predicting which of the beasts to stash away for your eternity, before they're all gone. Every time I find a ' Keeper" another better one emerges, but like musical chairs, eventually the music will stop.

So what you are saying is a luxury car you have to stop to charge up on long trips, has horrible resale, is among the worst in quality in the auto industry, but has a big screen and is really fast from stoplight to stoplight, and can kinda drive itself has you curious? They are nice cars, they have their place, and anyone is free to buy whatever they want. At this point The Model S platform is over 7 years old. The tech is neat, but the only real appeal to me is the stoplight to stoplight speed. They are not what I'd call driver's cars. But not everyone wants a drivers car.

I would add GM cares exactly what every middle aged to retired buyer wants. They are not selling their SUVs which are the highest margins of any vehicle they make to 18-25 year olds.

Last edited:

squeezer

Reaction score
Will try for a nanosecond to leave politics out of the conversation... (Yea, good luck)

The first thing is that GM saying they are going “All Electric” by a certain year is nothing more than a market tactic. It is great to have a corporate goal but battery technology and charging infrastructure need to advance much more than the actual cars themselves. Which is a great Segway onto the cars themselves... Electric cars are fun, REALLY fun. I don’t know anybody who has an electric car that doesn’t love it. The people that say “I’ll never own one...” are usually the people who have never driven one.

There are usage profiles that EV’s are ideal for and there are ones where they flat out won’t work. As battery technology evolves the “Won’t work” segment is getting smaller and smaller.

Infrastructure is another issue entirely... We will have a hard time supporting mass EV adoption by simply scaling the current grid. The path forward here is the hardest to map out and the most important for long term success.

Riverhound

Reaction score
There are some electric vehicle trend disrupters coming fast and its in the form of synthetic fuels... Early testing has shown on a lifecycle basis emissions are lower than electric vehicles. The general public has NO idea how much bad shit happens in order to build their "green" electric vehicle.

It's only a matter of time before people figure out they've been sold an "environmental utopia failure" when its comes to electric vehicles.

Taboma

Reaction score
So what you are saying is a luxury car you have to stop to charge up on long trips, has horrible resale, is among the worst in quality in the auto industry, but has a big screen and is really fast from stoplight to stoplight, and can kinda drive itself has you curious? They are nice cars, they have their place, and anyone is free to buy whatever they want. At this point The Model S platform is over 7 years old. The tech is neat, but the only real appeal to me is the stoplight to stoplight speed. They are not what I'd call driver's cars. But not everyone wants a drivers car.

I would add GM cares exactly what every middle aged to retired buyer wants. They are not selling their SUVs which are the highest margins of any vehicle they make to 18-25 year olds.

Like most RDPers you enjoy expanding any statements by taking imaginary liberties with any simple statements. How's that for me doing my part ?

Taboma

Reaction score

Did you happen to miss the part where I stated I've never so much as ridden in an EV ?

Lexus was the manufacture who catered to older boomers --- WAS in the key word. When my wife and I questioned some of their changes dating back several years ago, I was told straight out that Lexus was marketing to a young and different demographic.

I otherwise stand by my statement of the market GM will be targeting by 2035.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Will try for a nanosecond to leave politics out of the conversation... (Yea, good luck)

The first thing is that GM saying they are going “All Electric” by a certain year is nothing more than a market tactic. It is great to have a corporate goal but battery technology and charging infrastructure need to advance much more than the actual cars themselves. Which is a great Segway onto the cars themselves... Electric cars are fun, REALLY fun. I don’t know anybody who has an electric car that doesn’t love it. The people that say “I’ll never own one...” are usually the people who have never driven one.

There are usage profiles that EV’s are ideal for and there are ones where they flat out won’t work. As battery technology evolves the “Won’t work” segment is getting smaller and smaller.

Infrastructure is another issue entirely... We will have a hard time supporting mass EV adoption by simply scaling the current grid. The path forward here is the hardest to map out and the most important for long term success.

For being the local lib on a forum dedicated to not being green, I'll say you did pretty well leaving politics out.

And I agree. Years ago, I explained to some classmates that I'm not against going green but it's not right to force it on people, especially those who can't afford it. Obviously I was trying to strike a heart string because they always "care" about poor and underprivileged people. Yet I constantly see my "go green" friends deny that they're hurting poor people with the policy they support. Gas tax? Won't affect me at my income level but it will affect the guy driving from Redlands to OC every day making $45k a year. They understood and actually agreed that it has to get better and forcing it isn't going to help the situation.

The tech has to be advanced enough to be reliable, easily accessible, and affordable. I think we're finally getting reliable. But Tesla sells a $35k Model 3 after a big gov subsidy and their aren't enough chargers around. Now factor in that probably less than 1% of the population is driving electric... easily accessible and affordable are a long ways away.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Like most RDPers you enjoy expanding any statements by taking imaginary liberties with any simple statements. How's that for me doing my part ?

I was just asking the question :)

GM is not going to make cars people won't buy. They are going to try to make people buy the cars they make the most money on. Today that is trucks, SUVs, and tall cars, I mean crossovers.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Did you happen to miss the part where I stated I've never so much as ridden in an EV ?

Lexus was the manufacture who catered to older boomers --- WAS in the key word. When my wife and I questioned some of their changes dating back several years ago, I was told straight out that Lexus was marketing to a young and different demographic.

I otherwise stand by my statement of the market GM will be targeting by 2035.

You will like the Tesla.

Lexus changed their car design because "older boomers" keep their cars longer, and they made boring yet reliable cars which appealed to older boomers. They still make reliable cars but wanted to expand their addressable market by making the cars look a bit more exciting.

Badchoices03

Reaction score

I am one of those people that say "I will never own an electric vehicle", then I rode in and was allowed to drive a Tesla in Ludicrous mode...and holy shit, that is a fun fkn ride...not saying I will go out and spend $75k on one, but I will definitely never say never again....

Taboma

Reaction score
You will like the Tesla.

Lexus changed their car design because "older boomers" keep their cars longer, and they made boring yet reliable cars which appealed to older boomers. They still make reliable cars but wanted to expand their addressable market by making the cars look a bit more exciting.

This old boomer likes trucks and if Ford or GM liked me in return, they'd build me a comfortable fucking seat --- I mean it can't be rocket science can it ?
This was my big boner I aired with Lexus. In 1990 we were 30 years younger and my wife having an awesome job bought a new to the market Lexus LS 300.
OMG, we were suddenly immersed in a car that was so comfortable, so quiet, so awesome to drive all day long without feeling fatigued, we were hooked for life --- or thought so.
Consequently, while I continued to drive trucks, my wife continued to drive one Lexus or another. Yet with each model change every few years, we noticed they'd changed.
Sure, they felt like quality, sure they required little in repair, but two major factors, comfort and quiet were eroding. The seats were now stylish buckets, but the edge of the bolster hurt your leg when you climbed in. The previous quiet was replaced with a high frequency ZIP, ZIP, ZIP with any changes of pavement. They'd sacrificed the qualities we're truly admired and appreciated, for sport and a new younger demographic.

I have a sporty V8 vroom vroom car in my stable, I always have and will so long as I'm not a danger to society with one in my hands.

The very things about the Tesla my son finds awe inspiring and cool, are the very reasons I won't own one. Fuck Tech, the less tech in my life the happier I am.
Sure, I'm sure I'd enjoy the sling-shot 0-60 acceleration, I've always been amazed how my damned electric golf cart catapults me instantly to 15 mph. 😁

If any car make was targeting boomers, they'd build a 1990 Lexus LS, except with a 5.7L in it. 👍

Taboma

Reaction score
I am one of those people that say "I will never own an electric vehicle", then I rode in and was allowed to drive a Tesla in Ludicrous mode...and holy shit, that is a fun fkn ride...not saying I will go out and spend $75k on one, but I will definitely never say never again....

That's what I keep hearing and I'm certainly curious to at least experience it. Around here I have to go to a damned crowded mall, who the fuck puts a car showroom in a mall ?? Not only that, I've read I have to pay to park in the mall because some adjacent apartment building tenants started overflow parking in the mall lot.

I saw a Model 3 the other day, it was pretty tricked out with badging removed, black package, tinted windows, it looked seriously cool. Blew my mind though, he was parked with one space gap between us, wife and I having a picnic in my Raptor munching tacos --- so out of the corner of my eye I noticed him back out, silently of course, not a whisper, and for a split second I freaked, because I thought I was moving forward :eek:

The two personal friends I know who have purchased them, bought the Ludy model and both are X-Drag racers --- who'd a thunk it ??? But they don't live close, so I just get the stories, no rides yet.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Ever hear of the song Red Barchetta by Rush? The motor law??? It’s coming to fruition.

I was just saying this the other day!

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside

rivergames

Reaction score
An alternator needs to be created that charges batteries with the movement of a spinning wheel/tire/propeller .The alternator charges a battery so well, it will never go dead. Therefore, never need to refuel again.

2Driver

Reaction score
Ever watch the old TV commercial compilations on youtube?

Saw one of Chevron from the 70's where they were working hard to develop new energy sources from plants. LOL yeah, its been 1/2 a century since that commercial, where's my salad car?

Taboma

Reaction score
Ever watch the old TV commercial compilations on youtube?

Saw one of Chevron from the 70's where they were working hard to develop new energy sources from plants. LOL yeah, its been 1/2 a century since that commercial, where's my salad car?

I thought they were called Jojoba beans and were being grown out by Desert Center ? Now it's called Corn 😁 Then you've got the bio-diesel from algae if I recall.