WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I-40 Barstow to Needles and back

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If planning to take I-40 in either direction between Needles and Barstow pick a different route. As of right now the 40 is closed at Ludlow.
i don’t know anything else but i‘m sure there’s some good sources out there.

C10AC9F3-02CF-4629-AD97-42C4A6943044.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Rut row!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow! Hopefully just a freak accident and not some form of BS. Either way, those are some busy rails there, and they'll need to be fixed quick.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
A report says the 40 not impacted, however CHP reported the National Trails Highway is closed. The last incident similar to this took weeks to clean up.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
A report says the 40 not impacted, however CHP reported the National Trails Highway is closed. The last incident similar to this took weeks to clean up.

Interesting, was one of our shuttle vans that said she was told from a Barstow driver that it was shut down. NTH tho will be shut down for sure it happened over that crossing.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Interesting, was one of our shuttle vans that said she was told from a Barstow driver that it was shut down. NTH tho will be shut down for sure it happened over that crossing.

I don’t see any closure notices, but will keep watching. tomorrow is my 4th day on the 40 in the last week. I need a change of scenery anyway.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Was that still one of the old wood crossings there? I remember there being a few heading down NTH from Amboy, but it's been a awhile.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Was that still one of the old wood crossings there? I remember there being a few heading down NTH from Amboy, but it's been a awhile.
Wood crossing???? You mean wood bridge? Or the planks between the rails being tied?
i haven’t worked that side for years but never seen a wood crossing

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
If planning to take I-40 in either direction between Needles and Barstow pick a different route. As of right now the 40 is closed at Ludlow.

View attachment 978497
Coming on the heels of this tragedy, RIP Brother. To be clear, it wasn't 2 trains, it was 1 train setting out cars. Still a heart breaker for those of us in the business.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I hope it's open or I'll be late 😥

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wood crossing???? You mean wood bridge? Or the planks between the rails being tied?
i haven’t worked that side for years but never seen a wood crossing
Used to be a wood bridge. Not a big one, just to cross a wash or something. This was also at least 10 years ago. Been on this side of the river for 9 years, so haven't used 66 as a bypass for a long time.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Used to be a wood bridge. Not a big one, just to cross a wash or something. This was also at least 10 years ago. Been on this side of the river for 9 years, so haven't used 66 as a bypass for a long time.
There are still a ton of wood or creso (sp) bridges on the transcon.

Joker

Reaction score

View attachment 978497
Drove by there today and wondered what the engineers of the stalled trains do while waiting. Also surprised how Herzog was able to get their trains in there ahead of the trains stalled.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Drove by there today and wondered what the engineers of the stalled trains do while waiting. Also surprised how Herzog was able to get their trains in there ahead of the trains stalled.
They will use ballast (rock) to build a crossing, and with use of that crossing they are able to put the equipment onto the rail.
The trains that are held due to situations like this are secured and all brakes applied.

Joker

Reaction score
They will use ballast (rock) to build a crossing, and with use of that crossing they are able to put the equipment onto the rail.
The trains that are held due to situations like this are secured and all brakes applied.
I’m not sure I understand. Herzog must have had 15 cars in place. How did they bypass the stalled cars? I don’t see them placing the cars on the tracks unless I’m missing something. It’s interesting to say the least.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
They sit and wait for vans to come get them. A company called Hulcher trucks out equipment to remove the derailed cars. Routes are made by train dispatchers to bring in any on track equipment, but I believe most of what was out there came in by truck and was craned onto the tracks. It's crazy how fast all of this comes together.