WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More minimum wage data

rrrr

Reaction score
Yesterday when I went to McDonald's for my Sunday breakfast burritos, there were about 15 cars in the drive thru lane, so I went inside. All of the Plano/Allen/McKinney/Frisco McDonald's are owned by the O'Reilly family, and they are known as good employers that pay their staff well and treat them fairly. Their business model has been very successful.

There was a stack of flyers on the counter like the one I posted below. As you can see, anyone with a pulse and an alarm clock can be hired for a decent starting wage, and there are increased wages and generous benefits, including health insurance and wide ranging education opportunities, available to employees that prove their worth. I know that O'Reilly employees who show initiative are quickly advanced to more responsible positions, with corresponding wage and benefit increases.

Clearly the O'Reillys are not your average evil oppressive minimum wage employers. They provide employees with real benefits, and check all of the boxes with exposure to the working world, learning, decent pay, advancement on merit, healthcare, and education.

Yet passage of the $15 minimum wage law will destroy this structure. The law will increase their entry level hourly wage 40-60%. Because the ability for the O'Reillys to raise prices in the highly competitive fast food business is limited, they will be forced to expand the use of automated ordering kiosks already being tested in some stores, and eliminate counter help positions. Increased labor costs will result in the abandonment of educational assistance, including ESL classes for immigrants who have no other avenue to learn English, and subsidized health insurance.

Fewer employees will be hired, and they will not receive merit raises for hard work and initiative, because all employees will receive the new $15 minimum. The quality of employees will be reduced, service will suffer, and customers will go elsewhere. The business will be trapped in a downward spiral, and underperforming locations will close.

All of this will occur because the progressive left believes a higher minimum wage will benefit the employee. Instead, those employees will see fewer opportunities, stagnant wages, and the elimination of benefits like employee insurance.

The liberal left isn't going to stop here. They also intend to destroy our hard won energy independence, again making the US rely on unstable Middle Eastern governments for oil. They won't stop until the ridgelines and desert plains of the southwest are covered with wind turbines and solar farms. Blackouts will become common.

The education of American youth will move away from math and history, and devolve into America hating, suppression of free speech, and extreme identity politics.

IMG_20210314_213934985.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No offense, but I hate it when someone I feel is smarter than me reaffirms what I had been thinking. This is one of those scenarios I really hope I'm wrong about. I cannot see an upside for the general public.
To me, this is much like unionizing all minimum wage jobs. There have been times in my life I've worked way below "scale", even below minimum, because I needed the work/money. At 15$ an hour, how do you even hire new people for a crew? How do you find people to do the 20$ an hour grunt work, when a bus boy will make 15, stay clean and be inside AC?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
$9-$12 hr for a shift leaders, managers and maintenance workers. That’s pathetic. The franchisees pay well below corporate And can afford $15 min wage. Hell, A double quarter pounder, fries and drink is $7 at mcdonalds. At $9 hour It takes 3 hours work just to feed yourself daily at those wages. If corporate can pay higher wages so can these cheap ass franchisees.
7D449DD1-FF18-40D0-93D6-DA55AD7D4F0C.png

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
$9-$12 hr for a shift leaders, managers and maintenance workers. That’s pathetic. The franchisees pay well below corporate And can afford $15 min wage. Hell, A double quarter pounder, fries and drink is $7 at mcdonalds. At $9 hour It takes 3 hours work just to feed yourself daily at those wages. If corporate can pay higher wages so can these cheap ass franchisees.
View attachment 982036

McDonald's and other large corporations may he able to sustain a $15hr min wage. But what about smaller businesses, ma&pa places, ect.. they'd never make it. And not to mention if the min wage went to $15 then prices are just going to fallow. At that point it's back to square one while putting many smaller businesses out of business.

Gotta look at the bigger picture in my opinion.

And if you dont like the wage your making, find another job. Take initiative and learn a trade!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Since when was MINIMUM WAGE supposed to be a LIVING WAGE? Oh, that's right, since the politicians decided it.

Minimum wage was always a STARTING POINT in work. When I was in high school and college maybe I was paid minimum wage or something similar until/unless I had some SKILLS and EXPERIENCE that enabled me to earn more.

Increasing the minimum wage won't, as noted above, help people or businesses but the politicians have an agenda to manage all those below them because this is a CLASS WAR disguised as a WAR AGAINST RACISM. This class war is FASCISM and we're living it until/if we stop it.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Liberals don’t understand market driven economics. Besides their insidious attempt to buy more low wage voters, they always think they know better than the masses that are the market.

Back to the OP, the decent wage and benefits package those McDonald’s stores offer creates upward pressure on other fast food restaurants in the area. And that simply is part or the way a market driven economic system works.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Florida passed this stupid law.

My answer is I will tip less. I am a pretty good tipper. Between 20-25% depending on service. This law is raises min wage a few dollars each year until $15. I will decrease my tip at roughly 5% less as min wage goes up. When it hits $15 then I will simply write "min wage" in tip space. As far as fast food I will go less. I only go 2-3 times a month now, so it will be better for my health to go less.

RCDave

Reaction score
It's a vicious circle. Raise the wage and increase prices. The low wage worker gets no buying power advantage.

Liberals have a really hard time understanding math and economics.

The only party benefitting is govt, which gets more tax

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
View attachment 982036
Your basic math there ignores a SHIT ton of factors.
How do you sleep at night paying your employees $9 per hour?
Do either of you live in Texas? $9 an hour is much better outside of California.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
How do you sleep at night paying your employees $9 per hour?

iI’s called a starting wage. It’s supposed to be for people starting in the work force or supplementing retired workers.
And many rural areas can’t afford that.
Since COVID benefits I lost my one employee in my ma and pa business and can’t get anyone to work, they can make more sitting at home. So my wife and I just work more and keep the money. It’s not like a difficult job, answer phones, answer basic questions about the things we do,(starting or supplemental) type job.
Costs are very different in Oklahoma vs CA, a national in wage is stupid. I’m in CA.
As stated it would only be temporary help as prices would have to rise across the entire economy so they would be in the exact same position shortly.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
View attachment 982036

okay... so be ready for that quarter pounder meal to go to $9 instead of 7...and to lose about 30% of staff from each franchise location. Such a win.... right?

not every gig out there is like your unionized tax payer / rate payer funded industry. Private businesses are in it for a profit need to maintain a profit. They cant just ram price increases down the consumers throat as easily as easily as public sector industry does to the tax payer / rate payer.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Pretty sure $9 hour is below the poverty line no matter where you live in this country. We need to get these folks off of government assistance!

raising min wage across the board will get nobody off govt assistance. It will just increase the wage threshold for people to be eligible for govt assistance.

min wage goes up / cost of goods and services go up... it is pretty basic math. People riding min wage end up in the same spot, but the govt makes more revenue via wage withholding.

beertruck

Reaction score
Being in the full service side of the restaurant industry, I am not opposed to a higher min wage, even the $15 min wage, but what I would like to see is the inclusion of tip credits in the wage for tipped employees.
I know the higher min wage effects the quick serve differently, so I'm not speaking for them.
With most of our stores in Wa. state we are paying $13.64 a hour to all employees even the tipped ones. When I started 25 years ago it was $4.90 with tip credit for tipped employees.
I have some employees making 2-3 hundred dollars a night in tips (credit card tips, we don't really know how much more in cash tips), and I have to pay them $13.64 a hour as well. Back of the house employees are making in the $13.64-$20 range, so on a 8 hour shift they are making $110-$160 per shift. Those bartenders and servers that are being tipped are making $300-$400 per 8 hour shift.
I would rather pay servers and bartenders $7.50 a hour plus tips, so I can pay the cooks $15-$25 a hour, and give them a actual wage they can live on. Not looking to save money I'm paying for labor, just distribute it a little more fairly.
What everyone doesn't realize is that with every min wage increase each year, menu prices also go up 2-3% 25 years ago a large heavy topped specialty pizza was about $15, now its going to $32, and some of my competitors are even higher.
Funny thing is that even with one of the highest min wage for tipped employees in the country, the consumer still tips out 15-20% on average. The consumer is programed to tip, and base wage has no effect on their tipping.
I find it funny everyone tips at Starbucks, and no-one tips at McDonalds. Why?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Pretty sure $9 hour is below the poverty line no matter where you live in this country. We need to get these folks off of government assistance!
That's assuming that $9/hr is the only income for the household. It is not meant to be.

There is no assistance threshold based on $/hr income. It's all based on yearly household income.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
View attachment 982036

Say it with me... McDonalds is not a career choice.
It not supposed to be a job to sustain a single mom with 4 kids.

Sherpa

Reaction score
local bay area (San Jose) Mcdonalds starting wages are 16-18 per hour..... In-N-Out starts their employees at 18-20 per hour........ considering
housing costs here, it's a starter job for students living at home....

--Sherpa

rrrr

Reaction score
Apparently a couple of posters don't understand the concept of starting wages. In this case, O'Reilly employees with some seniority quickly receive raises. The fact employees receive incredibly generous benefits has also been overlooked.

But the main thing is that jobs at McDonald's were never intended to provide adequate income for primary household earners. The jobs are low skilled, and historically have been filled by youths entering the workforce and part-time workers supplementing their income. The "living wage" is available at other jobs, ones that require education, training, industry specific knowledge, and most of all, employees that wish to learn and advance.

An example I'm aware of is a manager position at QuikTrip, a kick ass gas and convenience store chain out of Oklahoma. Full time managers with four years experience make more than $60,000 a year. No college required, just hard work and ambition.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Apparently a couple of posters don't understand the concept of starting wages. In this case, O'Reilly employees with some seniority quickly receive raises. The fact employees receive incredibly generous benefits has also been overlooked.

But the main thing is that jobs at McDonald's were never intended to provide adequate income for primary household earners. The jobs are low skilled, and historically have been filled by youths entering the workforce and part-time workers supplementing their income. The "living wage" is available at other jobs, ones that require education, training, industry specific knowledge, and most of all, employees that wish to learn and advance.
Guys like High voltage don't get that part of it. Hell I think he went straight from diapers to his hi wage lineman job, no training required. 😜

Cdog

Reaction score
I think there is a push to eliminate as many small businesses as possible and this min wage on top of healthcare is just the beginning of it.

This is the way the militant left works. One hair at a time. They have no leverage over the local entrepreneur that has been successful and operates at their own will. Look at what gavin has done to restaurants and “non essentials” in cA.

Meanwhile large corporations are lead by spineless shareholders that will kneel to sjw causes and whatever bullshit comes next. They are given the green light as long as they kiss the ring.

2Driver

Reaction score
America's new Rosie the Riveter poster.

A14A5556-1ADD-4E6E-9141-6A1A6696AC4F.gif

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 982036
Now rub those two brain cells together and compare the cost of living in Plano Texas to that of Irvine California you room temp iq imbecile.....

Here ill do it for you

hallett21

Reaction score
Now rub those two brain cells together and compare the cost of living in Plano Texas to that of Irvine California you room temp iq imbecile.....

Here ill do it for you

To be fair going off of that at $9 an hour you barely could afford the studio in Plano.

I know that McDonalds was supposed to be a starter job. But since I was a kid in the early 90s I’ve always seen grown adults working there.

Like it or not we have a whole segment of the population that have turned minimum wage into “careers”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Driver

Reaction score
I high school I mowed lawns in a nice suburb

I never thought that I would be able to afford one of those homes if I just kept mowing lawns.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
We all know how kids are now living at home into their 30's and beyond. Why? Because parents are making life too easy for them so they have no incentive to go out on their own. If they made life tough for them to live at home (pay rent, do chores, no friends over, no video games, keep quiet, etc.) the kids might decide that working a little harder (or at all) and getting out on their own would be a better life for them.

Minimum wage is the same deal. If you make minimum wage too high then they have no incentive to work harder, to improve themselves or to do a better job. Before I retired I had sales guys working for me. My compensation programs were always low base with high potential commission structure with no cap. I knew the more they make, the more I make. I also knew that if the base was too high they no longer had any incentive to go out and make sales because they were happy with just the base.

Minimum wage jobs should be like basic training for your career. They are entry level jobs where you learn how the work force operates and what to do and not do. If you do well you can move up or move on to another company. If you want to be lazy and not put in any effort then you will be stuck at the bottom forever.

I'm generally against most government programs but here is my solution: Instead of raising minimum wage (which puts the cost burden on small businesses) make training programs available to those workers. Now I know the left already wants to make college free but most minimum wage workers aren't going to be going to college. I'm talking about workforce skills so they can into the trades or even basic office stuff like filing or using a spreadsheet. Anything that can get them out of flipping burgers or waiting tables or serving coffee.

Now there are a couple problems with my program. Many of these people don't want to improve themselves. Many are on drugs (drug tests would be required). It would also require massive government spending and oversight. My plan would be to run it more like a scholarship to trade schools though.

Here's the thing though. The left really doesn't want people to improve themselves. What they want is votes, increased tax revenue (higher wages = higher income tax), and unionization. Most importantly, they want people dependent on the government. Ever know a guy that doesn't want his wife to work, to go out with friends, to learn anything? They do that because they are afraid if she did she would leave him. The left are the same way. If people start to learn things, work hard and become successful on their own they will not need the government to take care of them.

Here's my last issue with $15/hr. What happens to the kid that has been working his butt off and has been given raises up and now he is making $14/hr when all the other lazy fucks are still at minimum wage? Now, all the others get bumped up to $15/hr, is his wage going to increase accordingly or is he back to square one? Many people say that the employers can afford the $15 but can they afford the increase to all the other employees that are already at a higher rate? If they don't increase their pay they aren't going to stick around long.

That is the trickle up effect that the left won't talk about. The team leader/foreman isn't going to accept getting the same pay as team members. The super isn't going to accept getting the same pay as the foreman. The department manager isn't going to accept the same pay as the super. And so on and so on until payroll costs force owners to raise prices. This happens across the board so now that $15/hr has the same buying power as $9/hr does now and we are all back to square one (except everyone is paying higher taxes and those retirees on fixed incomes get screwed).

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To be fair going off of that at $9 an hour you barely could afford the studio in Plano.

I know that McDonalds was supposed to be a starter job. But since I was a kid in the early 90s I’ve always seen grown adults working there.

Like it or not we have a whole segment of the population that have turned minimum wage into “careers”.

I’ve known adults my entire life that live in Castaic and work in Irvine (80-90 miles one way) for $15/hour, or do other dumb things like that.

The career minimum wage earners don’t usually live where they work in So Cal.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’ve known adults my entire life that live in Castaic and work in Irvine (80-90 miles one way) for $15/hour, or do other dumb things like that.

The career minimum wage earners don’t usually live where they work in So Cal.

That sounds miserable....

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

And whose fault is that?

Is it my fault those people have no drive or dedication? Did they quit high school sports so they could work almost every day after high school to save for college? Did they do well enough to get partial scholarships? Did they work three jobs in college so they could graduate debt free? I made a ton of sacrifices to get where I am today, as did many people on this board. I give to the charities I choose, when I choose. I’d prefer not to give my hard earned money to those that don’t deserve it.

It’s simple. You want to make more money? Work hard, educate yourself, or find your talent.

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm at QuikTrip grabbing a Diet Coke. QuikTrip has the best benefits in the industry. A + - $40,000 annual salary with free health insurance, a 401K with a generous employer match, and clean stores with good security all add up to a great opportunity for those with a high school diploma or GED and the desire to work and advance.

IMG_20210315_102412362.jpg

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That sounds miserable....

This was when I was starting out working and in my early 20s.

They look at you like you are insane when you ask “Why don’t you just find a $12 an hour job 20 minutes from
home?”

Their response - “I can’t afford to take a pay cut, you just don’t understand.”

“Well you just said it costs you $25 a day in gas to get here. $3/hour times 8 hours is $24. Not to mention you are in the road 4 hours a day putting wear and tear on your car. Oh yea and you are taking the toll road a couple days a week when traffic is bad. Sounds like if you made $12 close to home spending a couple bucks in gas a day, and not paying tolls you’d actually have more time and more money in your pocket.

Them -😳

I probably had that conversation 50 times with middle aged people from when I was 18 into my early 20s

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
QT is a good chain and a person that wants to WORK, they provide opportunities to advance. Slackers and fucktards don't last long. Private corporation also.

hallett21

Reaction score
And whose fault is that?

Is it my fault those people have no drive or dedication? Did they quit high school sports so they could work almost every day after high school to save for college? Did they do well enough to get partial scholarships? Did they work three jobs in college so they could graduate debt free? I made a ton of sacrifices to get where I am today, as did many people on this board. I give to the charities I choose, when I choose. I’d prefer not to give my hard earned money to those that don’t deserve it.

It’s simple. You want to make more money? Work hard, educate yourself, or find your talent.

I’m with you 100%

I just think there needs to be a middle ground between everyone gets something for nothing and large corporations turning huge profit and paying fat bonuses.

There aren’t enough high school kids in the US to work all of the fast food, gas station, entry level jobs. It’s my experience that a lot of new uneducated immigrants work these jobs. Which is fine you need to start somewhere. But are we supposed to just send them to the projects until they “figure it out”.

On the flip side I can’t find reliable help at $25-28hr and I provide all the damn tools. Like clockwork within 6 months guys are showing up hungover or not at all. Or their work ethic/production goes to hell.

My personal favorite is the I’m in the hospital one. It’s always a Monday text around 8:20 too.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Raising prices at a franchised location like McDs is near impossible with national/regional pricing ads that are run.
$5 for 2 Whoopers at BK is a perfect example. How can that be profitable when it takes two $15 employees to make and hand you those burgers?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Ok.....but hes comparing starting wage of MCD workers to the max INO managers make.......not really apples to apples there.
Now lets factor in his zip recruiter link....its doesnt take Srinivasa Ramanujan to figure out that the $9-12hr lowiqbrain is stating doesnt equal the ~$50k/year the average manager living in the dallas/fort worth area is bringing in.

Now lets talk about rent.....
I did a quick search to see what apartments were going for in each location.

I could get a 736 sqft 1 bedroom apartment close to independence pkwy for a mere $945/month.....thats $1.38 sqft
Or
I could get a 577sqft studio right off campus drive in irvine for a mere $2125/month......or $2495/month if i wanted to splurge a little bit for the two story 876 sqft layout....

Fuck....i have a wife and kids now? I guess im gonna need to really step it up a notch here and find a bigger place......ah yes this is perfect. 3 beds, 3 baths, 1,354 sq ft condo on stanford ct for...........*squints eyes*...... $3,800/month with a $4000 deposit.

lol

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Being in the full service side of the restaurant industry, I am not opposed to a higher min wage, even the $15 min wage, but what I would like to see is the inclusion of tip credits in the wage for tipped employees.
I know the higher min wage effects the quick serve differently, so I'm not speaking for them.
With most of our stores in Wa. state we are paying $13.64 a hour to all employees even the tipped ones. When I started 25 years ago it was $4.90 with tip credit for tipped employees.
I have some employees making 2-3 hundred dollars a night in tips (credit card tips, we don't really know how much more in cash tips), and I have to pay them $13.64 a hour as well. Back of the house employees are making in the $13.64-$20 range, so on a 8 hour shift they are making $110-$160 per shift. Those bartenders and servers that are being tipped are making $300-$400 per 8 hour shift.
I would rather pay servers and bartenders $7.50 a hour plus tips, so I can pay the cooks $15-$25 a hour, and give them a actual wage they can live on. Not looking to save money I'm paying for labor, just distribute it a little more fairly.
What everyone doesn't realize is that with every min wage increase each year, menu prices also go up 2-3% 25 years ago a large heavy topped specialty pizza was about $15, now its going to $32, and some of my competitors are even higher.
Funny thing is that even with one of the highest min wage for tipped employees in the country, the consumer still tips out 15-20% on average. The consumer is programed to tip, and base wage has no effect on their tipping.
I find it funny everyone tips at Starbucks, and no-one tips at McDonalds. Why?
Tipping is largely a US trait. Many places we've traveled to do not expect tips, some are even offended by it.....places that we assume are 3rd world poor societies are usually the most offended by it.
If our wage structure was on par then each employee could benefit from it...just like you'd like to pay your cooks better. The tipping habit we have in the US generally benefits the server most and not the guy/gal who actually made your food.
I know there are some places that pool tips and spread them to employees proportionally which works with credit card payments but less so with cash tips. But that also can cause riff between servers when "Cindy" works her tail off while "Sue" does only what she has to.
Aside from good menus/food, restaurant biz is not as simple as many seem to think.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
So fucking tired of Democrats getting on tv and saying " how can a single mom of four be expected to survive on minimum wage" Hey fuck stick here's a news flash for ya IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE A LIVABLE WAGE YOU DUMB FUCK!! Stay in school get an education/ learn a trade and don't get or get anyone knocked up and if you do you had better get your ass out and get the best paying job you can land and work your ass off.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I’m with you 100%

I just think there needs to be a middle ground between everyone gets something for nothing and large corporations turning huge profit and paying fat bonuses.

There aren’t enough high school kids in the US to work all of the fast food, gas station, entry level jobs. It’s my experience that a lot of new uneducated immigrants work these jobs. Which is fine you need to start somewhere. But are we supposed to just send them to the projects until they “figure it out”.

On the flip side I can’t find reliable help at $25-28hr and I provide all the damn tools. Like clockwork within 6 months guys are showing up hungover or not at all. Or their work ethic/production goes to hell.

My personal favorite is the I’m in the hospital one. It’s always a Monday text around 8:20 too.

I personally like my fat corporate bonus, because I work so hard to get it. It’s not like I got hired because I’m a straight, partially white male, and just sit around all day.... It doesn’t work that way. Execs make a ton of money because they are burdened with all of the risk.

The deal here is the market should dictate what should be paid, not the government. If you can’t get good workers at $30/hr then you may need to raise your wages, start a program to get entry level workers training so they can work up to what you need, etc. etc. Simple HS economics. Min wage is a slippery slope.

petie6464

Reaction score
Interesting comments. The actual problem is government should have zero input as to what an employer pays someone.

In a free country you can choose to work for someone or not, another option is to exercise your freedom and start your own business.

gqchris

Reaction score
What is interesting to me is that with all the hand outs, minimum wage increases, costs of products, ridiculous boat prices lol, I continue to make the same "wage" as the last 5 years. When will the overall cost of living be increased for all of in the middle class? We continue to make the same! My employer hasnt given raises in years.

2Driver

Reaction score
You have to shake your head when you walk past the minimum wage folks that are on break. Not uncommon to see folks drinking a Figi water or Starbucks Venti and smoking cigs. I guess now resourcefulness means getting a Grande.

attitude

Reaction score
What is interesting to me is that with all the hand outs, minimum wage increases, costs of products, ridiculous boat prices lol, I continue to make the same "wage" as the last 5 years. When will the overall cost of living be increased for all of in the middle class? We continue to make the same! My employer hasnt given raises in years.
Exactly, what about the people making $15-20 an hour. What if they started at $12 an hour an worked their way up? Now they get screwed by the cost of living going up because lazy people would rather just vote for a wage increase instead of earn it.

hallett21

Reaction score
I personally like my fat corporate bonus, because I work so hard to get it. It’s not like I got hired because I’m a straight, partially white male, and just sit around all day.... It doesn’t work that way. Execs make a ton of money because they are burdened with all of the risk.

The deal here is the market should dictate what should be paid, not the government. If you can’t get good workers at $30/hr then you may need to raise your wages, start a program to get entry level workers training so they can work up to what you need, etc. etc. Simple HS economics. Min wage is a slippery slope.

I assume your company doesn’t have low level employees on government subsidies.

Because you could make the argument that Walmart and McDonalds pocket (even if it’s a small amount) that (saved) money and pay it’s execs a bonus with it. Without the government assistance they would need to pay the employees more.

And of course they would just raise the cost of products because no one wants to take a pay cut.

I’m all for letting the market dictate what everyone is compensated for. But we just watched 1,000s of businesses get shut down while the good ole “essential” boys stayed open. Now they are going to have record profits due to government manipulation. I bet they aren’t complaining about that lol.

Edit. To be clear I would 100% be for removing minimum wage and government subsidies/manipulation. But that’ll never happen

Last edited:

LuauLounge

Reaction score

Unfortunately, your employer will continue to no increase wages, because his costs continue to rise, including minimum wage.
The only ones that will benefit in a minimum wage increase will be the govt. The feds will see $1,000 per min wage employee in fed taxes. SS will see more, all wage based taxes increase, worker's comp, etc.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 982036

It’s an interesting conversation.. I have a question for you though and I’d like an honest answer to it.

You take a guy like me when I was a kid.. Started an entry level machining job for minimum wage. Now a few years later let’s say that guy is making 16.00 an hour..

What happens to that guy when the burger flipper just got bumped to 15.00

I have a friend that is a nurse.. Ask anyone of them how they felt about the bumps in min wage.. which is ironic because the nursing profession is typically pretty far left and they are the ones always in favor of the policies, but then are angry when it happens.

I don’t know what the answer to the problem is to be clear.. what I do know though is throwing some arbitrary number at the wall and just saying “well that’s what it is now” doesn’t work. Because the guys just above it get screwed and it just drives the prices of everything up.

That said I agree with you.. it isn’t right that someone has to work three hours just to buy a hamburger.

Totally separate subject.. McDonalds is CRAZY EXPENSIVE now.. their breakfasts etc.. $$$$. And their lunch isn’t even edible. I swear it’s “fake food.”

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yesterday when I went to McDonald's for my Sunday breakfast burritos, there were about 15 cars in the drive thru lane, so I went inside. All of the Plano/Allen/McKinney/Frisco McDonald's are owned by the O'Reilly family, and they are known as good employers that pay their staff well and treat them fairly. Their business model has been very successful.

There was a stack of flyers on the counter like the one I posted below. As you can see, anyone with a pulse and an alarm clock can be hired for a decent starting wage, and there are increased wages and generous benefits, including health insurance and wide ranging education opportunities, available to employees that prove their worth. I know that O'Reilly employees who show initiative are quickly advanced to more responsible positions, with corresponding wage and benefit increases.

Clearly the O'Reillys are not your average evil oppressive minimum wage employers. They provide employees with real benefits, and check all of the boxes with exposure to the working world, learning, decent pay, advancement on merit, healthcare, and education.

Yet passage of the $15 minimum wage law will destroy this structure. The law will increase their entry level hourly wage 40-60%. Because the ability for the O'Reillys to raise prices in the highly competitive fast food business is limited, they will be forced to expand the use of automated ordering kiosks already being tested in some stores, and eliminate counter help positions. Increased labor costs will result in the abandonment of educational assistance, including ESL classes for immigrants who have no other avenue to learn English, and subsidized health insurance.

Fewer employees will be hired, and they will not receive merit raises for hard work and initiative, because all employees will receive the new $15 minimum. The quality of employees will be reduced, service will suffer, and customers will go elsewhere. The business will be trapped in a downward spiral, and underperforming locations will close.

All of this will occur because the progressive left believes a higher minimum wage will benefit the employee. Instead, those employees will see fewer opportunities, stagnant wages, and the elimination of benefits like employee insurance.

The liberal left isn't going to stop here. They also intend to destroy our hard won energy independence, again making the US rely on unstable Middle Eastern governments for oil. They won't stop until the ridgelines and desert plains of the southwest are covered with wind turbines and solar farms. Blackouts will become common.

The education of American youth will move away from math and history, and devolve into America hating, suppression of free speech, and extreme identity politics.

View attachment 982031

Well I was having a good morning.. Jesus. That’s about the most depressing thing I have read in awhile.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I high school I mowed lawns in a nice suburb

I never thought that I would be able to afford one of those homes if I just kept mowing lawns.

OK, have to disagree with you. Some of the most successful people that I met in life started mowing lawns and continued mowing lawns and own big lawn companies.

One of my close relatives is in the lawn business. He crossed illegally from Mexico many moons ago. He worked his ass off, still does but in different ways. Started mowing lawns. All the uppity people in the family gave him a nickname ‘Cousin Wetback’ because he was here illegally & mowed lawns. Holidays were a shitshow because I would always get in their faces for being such arrogant and so called ‘educated/degreed’ fucks. Well one day cousin ‘Wetback’, moved to Beverly Hills since he built a huge company. Became legal and a citizen too. The dumbfucks in my family were shocked and my favorite primo just smiled. It’s all what you want to do with a job you do. It’s all about ambition, hard and smart work. Remember ‘Grass Pays’ on here years ago. Bet he would disagree with you.