WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crystaliner 29 Projects (continued)

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
While taking my time removing the uncured bilge coat I took on the water heater rebuild. The problem that had been occurring was that the breaker was tripping. I made the assumption that the heating element was bad so bought a replacement for like 30 bucks and decided to put it in. Turns out to replace a heating element in a marine water heater you have to disassemble the whole thing...

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

After much swearing got the heating element reinstalled and everything reassembled. Figured I was good to go!

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Painstakingly removed the uncured bilge coat and carefully cleaned the amine blush off the new epoxy and put down several very thin new layers that cured!

IMG_0842.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
At this point I had decided that the old water heater must be fucked and I was pissed so I threw that POS in the dumpster and ordered a replacement.

Got the new one delivered and unpackaged and spent at least two hours trying to get the GD stainless protective film off. Whoever assembled this unit screwed the overlapping pieces together with the film under the joints so you could not pull it all the way off. I know I have terrible OCD but on a unit exerting heat I didn’t want plastic wrap stuck melting in between the joints. Needless to say I ended up pissed off again and with cuts all over from the poorly machined stainless. My bad for not wearing gloves...

Finally got this fucker installed and looking pretty I thought...

View attachment 983342
IMG_0899.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Moment of truth and turn the new water heater on! All wired properly and beautiful...15 seconds later BAM breaker trips again. I’m dangerous as a marine electrician but not an expert especially on the 120ac side. Decided next step was replace the breaker in the panel. Guess what? Fixed the issue completely.

Pretty sure I spent about 1k on a new water heater and compartment redo not including my time when I had a $30 breaker that went bad [emoji2357]

I love boats!

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Between my COVID quarantine on the boat and the water heater saga the boat didn’t get run as much as usual January through March. I pretty religiously run it outside the harbor and blow the turbos out every two weeks but it had only been harbor cruised since January. This past weekend the wife and I took it out to run it and the starboard engine wouldn’t run up over 2k rpm and was belching soot...

Tell tail signs of a stuck turbo which is a known problem for these engines when they sit. I’ve never had an issue with it because I use the boat so frequently but the previous owner replaced or rebuilt multiple turbos on engines less than ten years old at the time.

IMG_0903.jpg

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
I was already planning on redoing the cooling systems on both motors in the next few weeks with the help of a buddy who works on Yanmars. In fact I’ve got all the parts sitting and ready to go.

Also have been researching how to check the turbo before totally removing since the incident. Going to check myself this weekend. As a backup I’m also waiting on a quote to hand over the parts for the cooling system and get it all done.

Leaning towards self performing with the help of my buddy but we’ll see. Either way there will be some more good content coming in the next few weeks [emoji106]

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Crystaliner are GREAT boats. Sad they went out of business.
I used to fish on Terry Stewarts Crystaliner named 'Dolores' out of Newport, he kept it near Basin Marine.
Cool boats for sure.

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
Crystaliner are GREAT boats. Sad they went out of business.
I used to fish on Terry Stewarts Crystaliner named 'Dolores' out of Newport, he kept it near Basin Marine.
Cool boats for sure.

Dolores is still at Basin. I was in the slip next to Terry for about a year after I bought mine and now I’m two docks over. They are great boats [emoji106]

IMG_0828.jpg