WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rip pismo beach

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
What a bad deal that you knew was coming. They kept the pressure, increased closures, fabricated and biased “studies”. It was just a matter of time. Unfortunately it will be on to the next place. I really enjoyed riding there and spending time with family. Whether camping or even shooting up a day trip it was such a cool place.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Problem with pismo closing is now all those first timers who got a sxs with their stimulus who can’t drive or know anything about off-road are clogging up dumont and the desert. I think pismo was great place for a certain crowd.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Problem with pismo closing is now all those first timers who got a sxs with their stimulus who can’t drive or know anything about off-road are clogging up dumont and the desert. I think pismo was great place for a certain crowd.

Same up here at Sand Mountain, when Pismo was closed most of last year there were a lot of people coming from Cali that used to go there.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
FK. There are solutions to most of the technical issues that the CCC cited as motive for closure, it's just that they have the power and they are using it. Vocal generalizations some members of CCC made about environmental concerns are too broad a brush painted onto this small locale that Californians and Americans of ALL persuasions have enjoyed for a long long time.

to eliminate the usage denies the public a very large measure of joy and happiness with little payback to California or USA.

an outreach to those who have not enjoyed the dunes via motorized excursion would be convincing to many who have not tried it before...so, it might mean that everyone with a sandrail or buggy or ATV has to start recruiting Californians who have never tried it out...show them how fun it is...by making friends with them and taking them on a ride.

No reason that the public, and orgs like Friends of Oceano Dunes should not propose alterations and usage conditions that serve ALL communities, not only those the CCC has favored in its decision. Friends of Oceano Dunes will begin their legal resistance, and there really should be some public initiative started to - at a minimum - allow conditional use rather than an outright ban. one possibility: if this locale were managed in a similar fashion that downhill ski areas are managed...with places designated for trick riding and jumping and exhibition and set asides for preservation, statements of risk upon entry, etc. we will see.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Looks like costal commission vote to close in 3 years.I spent a lot of riding trips as a kid going to pismo.I even cought my first ever sick air there on a old xr 75. Sad times

I also read effective immediately night rides are banned. Not sure how accurate that is. I’m disappointed that this fight is lost. I grew up going to pismo beach camping on the beach and riding. Sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dave29

Reaction score
We rode our ATC 90's there in the 70's. Great camping.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The only things that will really get hurt by this are the beach rental places, the gas stations along Grand, and a little bit of a decline is business in surrounding grocery stores and the like really. MOST of the people that go to the dunes bring everything they want with them. Most of the people that actually spend money IN the town are not there for the OHV beach. They are vacationing there from elsewhere (mostly the central valley) and go to the shops, stores, bars, etc in downtown Pismo and Shell beach areas.

There will be an influx of HORRIBLE sand rails and quads hitting the used market soon. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEM!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Me too and many great memories of riding my quad there

I also read effective immediately night rides are banned. Not sure how accurate that is. I’m disappointed that this fight is lost. I grew up going to pismo beach camping on the beach and riding. Sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikes56

Reaction score
A group of us went there on a holiday weekend last year. The place was ridiculously busy with every asshole from the San Fernando Valley there in a truck or on a quad. There was no room to park and the dunes were packed. Stupid rental people broke down in the dunes. I’ll never go back.

If I was one of those people lucky enough to own one of the houses right on the sand, I’d be pissed off too and screaming for the dunes to be shut down.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sad State.
My son got his first taste of off-roading there and has been an avid rider since.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I grew up there and have been watching this battle for 30 years.
I love that place.
The Central Valley uses it as their Cancun. It’s not the Sf valley people, although it does count.
As said the campers have little impact on their economy like it used to. Pismo is a get away town now with jazz festivals and car events.
I’ve been jonesing for pismo for a while, but can’t even consider a week end.
Some of my best memories have been there and I could truly say pismo helped shape my life.
Sad

DLC

Reaction score
That really sucks balls!

people use it and due to the use things get worn out, broken down! You would think with it being the only place in Ca that you can drive on the beach they would keep it open.

other state & national parks get used, look at camp grounds along the coast and Yosemite ......could you picture if they just said to much use we have to close it

thats really F’d

Gelcoater

Reaction score
3EBC3FD1-7146-4F0B-ACD6-5FAFC6AF07B6.jpeg
844236F4-BCC0-4640-8EF4-C0F7C1508381.jpeg

Pretty sad.
My daughter will never be able to share with her children what we got to share with her.🙁🙁

Meaney77

Reaction score
Such a bummer..... Like most of you, i grew up going to the dunes and started at an early age. We went out a few years back and the crowd has changed but we still had fun . Still pretty awesome to be able to camp, ride, wheel on the beach.

Sad to hear its closing and that future generations wont be able to enjoy/appreciate it like we all did. This will definitely have an impact on the local economy. I might have to ty and plan a trip with my family before it closes permanently.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 983660 View attachment 983661

Pretty sad.
My daughter will never be able to share with her children what we got to share with her.🙁🙁

Don't be silly, ever heard of Oregon Dunes?

Pine trees and single track trails right on the beach. It's absolutely beautiful there. I've made the trek up there three times. It's a million times better than Pismo, even when Pismo was still wide open.

And here is the thing about treking to places like Oregon Dunes and St Anthony's...

It's like a cover charge, it keeps the rif-raf out. Lemme know when you're ready to plan a trip.

So long Pismo. It was fun while it lasted. 👍

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
My shoulder problems (torn rotator cuff) started decades ago when I went over the handlebars of a quad I rented at Oceano Dunes. Loved running up there, jumping on some rented quads and doing stunts beyond our talents.

Looks like the quad rental companies then are still in business today

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We went all the time as a kid. We always stay at Pismo Coast Village, but back then you could drive right out of the park onto the beach with your sandrail. I haven't been for about 10 years.
97 F-350 - Pismo 1 .jpg
Pismo 2004.jpg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I thought jurisdiction in who has the authority to close to OHV was in dispute between coastal commission and state parks?

Lumpy

Reaction score
My Son Luke and I live 4 miles from the Oceano ramp...been fighting this bullshit shutdown for years.
This was our first vid made with our gopro back in the day, pre-divorce...been raising him alone since Luke was 10.

Enjoy..............Sound up LOUD is a must!!!!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My family has been going there since my kids we babies.

Very sad to see it go.

Our family has great memories there.

That is what we tried to impress on the CCC. My family and my friends families enjoyed Pismo greatly.

Now they took it all away.

I hope they are happy.

There is a bunch of kids out there that are sad...... The CCC dont care about children and their fun