WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Black Dash

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
So took the boat to Lake Pleasant yesterday and, like before, I found myself standing up constantly when in bright sunlight to see over the windshield as I cannot see through it with the glare from my white dash. I'm considering a black vinyl or something like the pictures below to solve this issue. What say you?

My current dash; notice the glare

hallett dash before.PNG

Examples of black dashes:

dcb dash 3.jpg

dcb dash 2.jpg

daytona dash.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i did the same thing in my old fishing boat, another thing i did at the same time was put red bulbs in the gages. at night they were too bright and the glare was brutal. you could always try something non permanent like a tool box drawer liner to see if it solves the problem.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I spray painted my helm Flat black under the windscreen and it helped a lot.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
my friends Formula dash is gray on top for that reason

Runs2rch

Reaction score
You need better sun glasses. Never have had a problem in any boat driving into the sun. Especially that boat.

Hell no on a black dash or interior on any Hallett.

nowski

Reaction score
Try tinting your windshield, just a thought...

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
FYI, I don’t wear anything but polarized and in this case it turns the windshield into a bunch of little circles through the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
FYI, I don’t wear anything but polarized and in this case it turns the windshield into a bunch of little circles through the lens.

Have you thrown a towel up there first? Is it the gel coat or the windshield causing the glare?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Have you thrown a towel up there first? Is it the gel coat or the windshield causing the glare?

I’ll try a black towel first but I suspect it will solve the issue since running it at sunset or not in direct lighting it’s totally fine glasses or not.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I have the same issue with the windscreens on my boat. I’m planning on taking it to a car wrap shop just to put a piece of flat black on the top of the dash. I tried doing it myself but I didn’t like the way it came out so I’ll let the pros do it.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
if your polarized glasses are letting you see glare, you need to buy a better pair not the gas station crap.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
if your polarized glasses are letting you see glare, you need to buy a better pair not the gas station crap.

Lol I guess my $200 Oakley‘s and $400 Maui Jim’s aren’t good enough

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
my friends Formula dash is gray on top for that reason
My formula is the same way, I learned years go on a nautique I had that tinting the windshield actually makes the glare worse because of the black to white color contrast

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
This...i did this on all 3 of the cabin cruisers i had and it solved the issue...doesn't even have to be crazy dark.

Is love to avoid the tint, I’d rather have a black dash as I think it looks better aesthetically.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
No they arent.

No thanks. They say not legal when operating a vehicle, so when I run over a guy on a sea doo, his lawyer can take everything I’ve got.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No thanks. They say not legal when operating a vehicle, so when I run over a guy on a sea doo, his lawyer can take everything I’ve got.

Throw the glasses in the drink.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@FROGMAN524 I'm working on an adjustable window tint for the loft downtown. I love the views but want to be able to change opaqueness with a dial. Google "smart tint" or "electric tint" when you have a minute.

Would be a trick setup where your dash is covered in a clear film and when needed, you can turn that film black with a switch. Heck you could even run a independent system on the windshield for more privacy.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It’s been said a few times, but I’d definitely look at having a wrap shop do it. That way if it works awesome but the next owner doesn’t like it, peel it off. If it gets a scratch peel it off and replace. You’re looking at a couple dollars in material and maybe an hour of labor so I’d assume no more than 120-150$ and again worse case you peel it off.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
It’s been said a few times, but I’d definitely look at having a wrap shop do it. That way if it works awesome but the next owner doesn’t like it, peel it off. If it gets a scratch peel it off and replace. You’re looking at a couple dollars in material and maybe an hour of labor so I’d assume no more than 120-150$ and again worse case you peel it off.

I’m going to call a wrap shop today to get an idea. I’d like it to be easily removable for resale like you said.

Gary at GT yesterday told me it’s an off-season project the way he did Dave’s boat and that it’s very involved the way they did his.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I think an Upholstered Area would be my first choice for several different reasons. 🤔