WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Damn it!

guest hs

Reaction score
Well I just had my first blow up with a customer at my shop since I opened. Guy I know comes in brings his friends boat in yesterday at noon. Acts like a big shot, starts rattling stuff off. Oil change on the engine, drive shower, duel battery system, new impeller (bravo). I get the boat done in less then 24 hours for him. The bill is $1405 parts and labor out the door. The guy explodes and thinks it should have been around $500. I offered to charge him parts only just to keep him happy. He doesn’t want that either, he wants me to take everything off instead. I told him just take the boat completely free of charge and don’t come back. He’s not even happy with that. I had to park his boat out on the street because he asked if I would do anything to it since this happened. Wow ! Well I’m sure my five star Google review is screwed now.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Nothing gets done without a signed estimate of work. Any changes after that under $100 can be verbal, anything over gets resigned. Protection on both sides and makes everyone happy and prevents getting “surprise bills.”

guest hs

Reaction score
He said he didn’t care how much it was just do it I have done business with him for years in Vegas.

guest hs

Reaction score
For those of you that have done business with me you know it’s a friendly shake of a hand. Well unfortunately I guess that will have to change. I don’t even care about the money it’s just a morel thing to me.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So why is he complaining then? What was he expecting, some kind of Pro Bono because its his buddy?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
For those of you that have done business with me you know it’s a friendly shake of a hand. Well unfortunately I guess that will have to change. I don’t even care about the money it’s just a morel thing to me.

that ain’t the world we live in today buddy. Personal accountability and common sense are looooong gone.

badgas

Reaction score
You wont please everyone but your good customers that parnter with you will keep coming back. Scew the google and yelp thing that is a BS scam anyway. A good customer should want you to make a profit so you are always there for them. Sounds like this guy was going to have issue regardless.

If I were in your shoes as the business owner I would not start work without a signed work order that has an estimated cost. Like others said you can call if you find other items that need work. For me as consumer I NEVER do anything without knowing the cost.

guest hs

Reaction score
I can’t do business that way I need to sleep at night. The money is not the issue. I’m not going to take parts off of the boat I just put on that’s an entire other situation there that could open up a big bag of worms.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Well I just had my first blow up with a customer at my shop since I opened. Guy I know comes in brings his friends boat in yesterday at noon. Acts like a big shot, starts rattling stuff off. Oil change on the engine, drive shower, duel battery system, new impeller (bravo). I get the boat done in less then 24 hours for him. The bill is $1405 parts and labor out the door. The guy explodes and thinks it should have been around $500. I offered to charge him parts only just to keep him happy. He doesn’t want that either, he wants me to take everything off instead. I told him just take the boat completely free of charge and don’t come back. He’s not even happy with that. I had to park his boat out on the street because he asked if I would do anything to it since this happened. Wow ! Well I’m sure my five star Google review is screwed now.
I am sorry Shane. It seems you went above and beyond to get everything done on time. Karma is going to be a real bitch for that guy. You have always treated me very fairly and delivered top notch service.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Same situation here, but not a friend. Guy buys my product, installs it and it comes off when boat is under way. Wrote me a nasty email about my product, that if he didn't have cat like reflexes it would have killed him and that if I didn't return his money in 4 days there would be consequences. Really??? First one I ever had to deal with like that. Told him I would refund his money inc. shipping, but asked for a picture of the remaining product. Get the pic and a video and surprise, he didn't follow instructions of installation, but somehow that is my fault. WTF?? I gave him his money back, but I at least got to tell him that he was an incompetent prick and couldn't follow instructions. Anyway, morale to the story: I learned not to be intimidated by these jackwads. Don't you be either. You deserve to be paid for your services, handshake or written estimate. That is money out of your pocket. That is what those type people are looking for. Free shit!!!! So fuck him, and if he has any friends, fuck them, too!!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm guessing the problem isn't so much your prior customer as much as it's his friend's boat. I'm inclined to think he gave his buddy some "Hookup, Beer" estimate and doesn't want to feel like an idiot when he tells the guys how wrong he was.
Sorry you had to deal with that shit.
On the other hand, sounds like you're an honorable man I'd want to trust my Cole with. 👍

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Obviously a KOOK newbie boater (who shouldn't own one).
Pisses me off, and you're a bigger Man than me.
The ONLY time I was pissed at a boat shop was when they did a bunch of additional stuff I didn't ask for.
They did do it all correctly, it was just that I was strapped for cash at the time, and only WANTED done what I told them to do.
Since they are no longer in business I can say that it was Johns Custom Marine. Yeah, AL was a DICK to deal with.
But other than that, you HAVE to know that owning a boat ain't cheap, (not saying your costs are expensive) . . . you've just gotta PAY UP SUCKA if you wanna play, or wait till you can afford it. Pretty simple.
Don't let 1 donkey bum you out . . . . i guarantee he'll be the same dickhead asking for a tow who's too much of a cheap-ass to buy a Vessel Assist membership.
Fuck Those Guys.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Damn Shane, 95% of the shops in Havasu would have charged that just to pull the back seat out to change the impeller!!

Nordie

Reaction score
Unfortunately the honor system no longer works. There's people out there that will actually set you up. Document your work.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Giving away $1400 worth of parts and work isn't a wise way to do business. I'd take all your shit back off and put it back to the way it was. He's not a customer, he's a consumer.
I wouldn't even put it back together

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

wallnutz

Reaction score
Tell him to go to two estimates from other shops and see what the difference is. Then you can tell him where to stick it after he pays you.

guest hs

Reaction score
Tell him to go to two estimates from other shops and see what the difference is. Then you can tell him where to stick it after he pays you.
I did that I offered him to go take the bill and take it to any shop in town and if they say it’s out of line find out what they would have charged and I will honor that. He declined!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I can’t do business that way I need to sleep at night. The money is not the issue. I’m not going to take parts off of the boat I just put on that’s an entire other situation there that could open up a big bag of worms.

If I had a boat I'd have you work on it no questions asked. I'd trust you until proven otherwise and I'd pay whatever you charge especially if I didn't ask how much it would be before I said go ahead and do it.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
The big problem is it has become the norm to instantly jump on a business and slam it online. The public only gets one side to the story and your “rating” goes down which is what 99% of the world goes off of to judge a business. Start offering a small incentive for people to leave you positive reviews etc. then these incidents don’t sting as much.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
He's a piece of shit, but karma will make it right. Over the years I have always wondered how shitbags like this survive, 30 years ago his ass would be beatdown just talking to another grown man like that. Sometimes a beatdown is justified. IMO

nowski

Reaction score
I did that I offered him to go take the bill and take it to any shop in town and if they say it’s out of line find out what they would have charged and I will honor that. He declined!
You not only bent over backwards for the guy but also gave him an opportunity to compare apple$ to apple$ with other $hops and he declined. Good mechanics are hard to find mediocre mechanics are a dime a dozen...

grumpy88

Reaction score
The big problem is it has become the norm to instantly jump on a business and slam it online. The public only gets one side to the story and your “rating” goes down which is what 99% of the world goes off of to judge a business. Start offering a small incentive for people to leave you positive reviews etc. then these incidents don’t sting as much.
Not always true . Im still dealing with a shitty pool company and if people had posted there true stories i would not be 10 months in and still getting fucked ! In this case i dont understand how a decent human would not feel they owe something for there boat service even if they felt the number was out of line . Thats just f up .

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about Google reviews, seems like most of the negative reviews are unreasonable idiots that can be read like a book.
Word of mouth happy customers are your best bet.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Just can’t believe it when you run across someone like that. I really like to do business with people based on a hand shake.

4Waters

Reaction score
Sorry about this Shane that's just a shit pie, you're a good honest person this won't hurt you.👍

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I bet he’s pissed cause he told his buddy that he has an “in” with you. Figured he’d get his friend the ‘buddy deal’ and quoted his friend 500. Then when you hit him with 1400, he shit his pants real quick and got pissed. Cause he knew he fucked up.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

You are not a newbie. If you have a signed work order, and gave them an estimate, then revised it once you were well into the job and can actually stick to a price for the estimated work performed, then payment as agreed or lein sale in 15 days, or as specified in the disclaimer on your work order. I have a storage charge as well after 3 days notification upon completion, even if it's a dispute. They pay every day for storage until the vehicle is released due to payment.

Don't let some bullshit internet rating decide how you do business, stand behind your work, you will get plenty of business if you are competent....

There are many many shops who are not.

jet496

Reaction score
I agree with you saying no charge. He's the first one to do that to you so just keep on doing business as usual. Most people aren't like that guy.

LC925

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Shane. In my experience, your services have always been completed before promised and pricing has always been reasonable. Forget about him and your online reviews, word of mouth will go further. Keep up the good work.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I agree with you saying no charge. He's the first one to do that to you so just keep on doing business as usual. Most people aren't like that guy.

This is terrible business advice. You never, ever let someone off the hook for your hard work.

If you do, the word will spread that you are a fucking pussy to be taken advantage of. Then guess what?

Every 5th customer will EXPECT to get let off the hook if they make a stink. Word spreads in those piece of shit friendships, they will swarm you.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Some people are happy when they’re unhappy but I would make his ass pay regardless. By the way the spectra looks amazing! What’s the name of your shop so I can help those 5 star reviews 😉. Stand your ground man you did a solid so expect it back!