WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I won't say the Orange Country real estate market is hot...

69hondo

Reaction score
What sucks is you cant get a weekend place out here for $225k any more. Our first house here about 10 years ago was $210k with a 50 foot boat deep garage, 1700 square feet. No problem to cover that nut as a second home but that house now is 550k which prices them out of reach of most weekend home buyers.

This is us. I should of bought 3 years ago when we were serious but no I was a dumbass. I stopped looking now, its crazy what a basic 3/2 pool& boat deep house is there now.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yep we bought a house in havasu fifteen years ago with plans to retire there. Tomorrow we are out of here for good. House is all but sold for 700,000 more than we paid for it in 98.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. Lomita is hot as well. Enjoy your retirement!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Lived in Yorba Linda 2000-2008.

Now I've lived off Green River for 6 years.

There are side streets all over AH and YL to deal with the 91 issues. None for Green River/Corona.

There was maybe one or two instances I could remember where the side streets were so backed up that it affected the commute home to YL. And I lived across from the 241 off Gypsum Canyon. So I was way out there.
Yep. When the 91 is back up at YL Blvd / Weir Canyon. The bars on both side of the 91 are packed with Corona / Riverside commuters. 🍺🍷

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait a minute. Aren’t you a California trans plant? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We moved here 14 years ago. We moved to AZ before it was cool. [emoji38] And, when we moved here, we sure as shit didn't bring any bullshit political beliefs with us.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Hammer

Reaction score
We moved here 14 years ago. We moved to AZ before it was cool. [emoji38] And, when we moved here, we sure as shit didn't bring any bullshit political beliefs with us.

Just giving you shit! Lol.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
When I see homes sell for way over asking in a day or 2 or 3 it's easy to wonder if the asking price was high enough. In general I'd say if your home sells that fast the price was too low and you left $$$ on the table. But I know if you go too high you risk not having a buyer or multiple bidders. Still, in this market, I'd be very tempted to put a crazy price on a house in a hot market and see what happens.

Yep. When the 91 is back up at YL Blvd / Weir Canyon. The bars on both side of the 91 are packed with Corona / Riverside commuters. 🍺🍷

Isn't that 20 hours a day?

I was just calculating how much our home has gone up in the past 20 years we have owned it. It works out to just a bit over $1000 a week. I'd call it a pretty good return on investment.

Lessee here: 20 years x 52 weeks = 1,040 weeks x $1,000/week = $1,040,000 price increase. Unless you refinanced it several times taking $$$ out for boats and trucks each time you're a millionaire 😁 until you buy a new place

the only problem with AH is the 91

If only that was true. I'm sure you've seen the traffic in and around AH.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This is us. I should of bought 3 years ago when we were serious but no I was a dumbass. I stopped looking now, its crazy what a basic 3/2 pool& boat deep house is there now.

Yea I'm not sure I'd make the jump to buy a house there today without a rental plan.

I'm am very happy we bought 8 years ago so we don't have to rent it. The flip side is that you can absolutely cover today's costs today using it as a part time rental. It is not for everybody though.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Can't compare a new custom house with double the sq footage a big ass garage and a larger lot to a temecula or Oc 1600 sq foot track house . Plenty of nice homes in S. Utah for under 500k on a 1/4 acre with a regular 3 car garage. The days of really gaming the system and paying less than half sailed 5+ years ago.

The level of finishing and materials used are way way better. My 640k house built in 1994 is a shit box in comparison.

Nevada,AZ,Tennesee,texas and utah are no longer secrets...they are booming

You have to look at what you are getting for the same price. The house I'm building would probably be over a million in corona and 2+ million in Anaheim hills or HB.

I guess its all relative yo what you want. The bigger/nicer house is just one part of why I'm leaving this state.

I get all that... but like you said...5+ years ago was quite different.

The big difference is other states markets were on the rise, and CA didn't keep up. Yes most people in CA could still make a letteral move (maybe even 20-30%) for way more house, or newer nicer house etc.... but 5+ years ago you could get all that and then some with a lot more spread.

It's no secret that people are fleeing CA.... and to top it off, people relocating from other states are also considering a lot of other places than CA.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

I have kids born in Arizona twice as old as that..... lol

2Driver

Reaction score
I score the biggest when supply is low and demand is high because I'm told these prices will stick.

I still have TP I scored at $5 a roll, Hostess Twinkies for $50 a box, plywood at $60 a sheet and 9mm at $1.50/round. It seems right now is the sweet spot to buy or build a house.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Moved the corporation to Arizona this year as well. CPA said will save about $10,000 annually on taxes.

On the selling of houses, with the offers we received for our Anaheim Hills house, most came with a book report type of thing written up by the potential buyers. Photos, goals in life, why they want the house etc. One of them was really well done and my wife connected with them after reading it because they were about to start a family and have kids which struck a chord with my wife having done the same. She picked them and we have kept in touch and stopped by to see what they have done with the house and to top it off my wife delivered their child. Sound like a corny process but it ended up being like a job interview and this couple really went all out to increase their odds of getting the house.

HBCraig

Reaction score
In Huntingon BEach not much anything under 1 Mil, and I am not speaking about a beach house, miles inland.
My model is 1600 square feet ans I am about 2.5 miles in from the beach. My model that needs work, new flooring, appliances just sold for a hair over 1M

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Moved the corporation to Arizona this year as well. CPA said will save about $10,000 annually on taxes.

On the selling of houses, with the offers we received for our Anaheim Hills house, most came with a book report type of thing written up by the potential buyers. Photos, goals in life, why they want the house etc. One of them was really well done and my wife connected with them after reading it because they were about to start a family and have kids which struck a chord with my wife having done the same. She picked them and we have kept in touch and stopped by to see what they have done with the house and to top it off my wife delivered their child. Sound like a corny process but it ended up being like a job interview and this couple really went all out to increase their odds of getting the house.

Yeah i don't care about any of that and either does my wife....haha

With that said I won't sell to a Biden voter...My neighbors don't deserve that

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I get all that... but like you said...5+ years ago was quite different.

The big difference is other states markets were on the rise, and CA didn't keep up. Yes most people in CA could still make a letteral move (maybe even 20-30%) for way more house, or newer nicer house etc.... but 5+ years ago you could get all that and then some with a lot more spread.

It's no secret that people are fleeing CA.... and to top it off, people relocating from other states are also considering a lot of other places than CA.

It is the IE didn't keep up. If you are 20 mins from the water, the values have accelerated and are still outperforming other places. At the end of the day.. RE comes down to location.

I'm not talking shit here but if you live in the IE or high desert, it is a lot easier to make a move to southern UT, Vegas, AZ, etc. because the "weather" is less of a factor than someone that lives by the beach, and the time and costs associated with commuting suck.

Post Covid as you have noted, these values in these areas just outside CA are going to continue to chase inland CA as people want better homes and more space, and the benefits of living in inland CA diminish.

Taboma

Reaction score

This buyer resume must be a thing now. A few years back my neighbor across the street put their home on the market. Ended up a minor bidding war and they ultimately selected a younger couple with an early teen daughter based on this "Story". The story was well done and a heart breaker, how they loved everything about the house, naming off different rooms and features, my neighbor gal was enamored with the story and they got the house. Immediately upon close of escrow, contractors showed up and started tearing the place to shreds.
Having recalled how the story had sold them on this young family, I had fun relaying pictures of the destruction and vast remodeling. 😁
On top of it, the young wife was ding-bat completely nuts, on a suspended license due to drunk driving, then while on some drugs she drove her car into another neighbors house.
Eventually claiming the whole neighborhood was against her, they sold and moved --- Thank God !!!!!

So yeah, the stories, I'll be not putting much weight on those if and when the time comes.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It is the IE didn't keep up. If you are 20 mins from the water, the values have accelerated and are still outperforming other places. At the end of the day.. RE comes down to location.

I'm not talking shit here but if you live in the IE or high desert, it is a lot easier to make a move to southern UT, Vegas, AZ, etc. because the "weather" is less of a factor than someone that lives by the beach, and the time and costs associated with commuting suck.

Post Covid as you have noted, these values in these areas just outside CA are going to continue to chase inland CA as people want better homes and more space, and the benefits of living in inland CA diminish.

dude... I’m taking the entire SoCal area. The spread used to be much larger when relocating out of state. Do you not agree? It is now less of a spread regardless weather it is oc vs ie. Yes OC real estate is higher than anything inland...

Price out Nevada, AZ, Idaho, Utah etc and compare their appreciation trends over the last 6 years or so. Southern CA did not keep pace.

Htwolow

Reaction score
Ugh no thanks. OC is pretty nice as far as the geography & proximity to other places, but the people there are insufferable in my experience. They were better off in more ways than one going to Arizona.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
dude... I’m taking the entire SoCal area. The spread used to be much larger when relocating out of state. Do you not agree? It is now less of a spread regardless weather it is oc vs ie. Yes OC real estate is higher than anything inland...

Price out Nevada, AZ, Idaho, Utah etc and compare their appreciation trends over the last 6 years or so. Southern CA did not keep pace.

You are talking about half of a state compared to a few out of state cities that drove up the state average.

I agree with your general premise, but there are vast swaths of property owners in So Cal where that was not the case and appreciation was better in other areas out of state.

We are entering a new "work from home" world.. of course housing prices are going to start converging across desirable areas because of demand. Again, I agree, it costs more to move to Phoenix, South UT, Boise, Vegas, than it did 5 years ago. That is not going to change going forward, it is just the changing market.

I just don't think you can lump all of So Cal into that comparison, because areas (big areas) of So Cal are still outperforming in terms of appreciation, just not growth.

hallett21

Reaction score

You’re probably correct percentage wise. But dollar wise CA has kept the pace. 250k to 500k in NV, UT, AZ isn’t any different than 1 million to 1.25 in CA. If we are talking strictly in dollars gained.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
You are talking about half of a state compared to a few out of state cities that drove up the state average.

I agree with your general premise, but there are vast swaths of property owners in So Cal where that was not the case and appreciation was better in other areas out of state.

We are entering a new "work from home" world.. of course housing prices are going to start converging across desirable areas because of demand. Again, I agree, it costs more to move to Phoenix, South UT, Boise, Vegas, than it did 5 years ago. That is not going to change going forward, it is just the changing market.

I just don't think you can lump all of So Cal into that comparison, because areas (big areas) of So Cal are still outperforming in terms of appreciation, just not growth.

I'd say OC prices are pretty relative VS. IE, Unless you are comparing the Newport peninsula / Newport coast to san bernardino. Price increases in Yorba linda, westminster etc are pretty relative to that of Corona, Riverside etc.

My opinion was that other states rose faster in general. Pretty simple... you were able to sell a 700K tiny place in inland OC or a 700K decent sized tract home in corona (during the last major housing boom), and buy a pretty nice 2500sqft house w/ RV garage and pool in Havasu for 350-400k. Now you can still sell the 700k tiny place or Corona tract and the place in havasu is now 550-600k (insert in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, etc)

mbrown2

Reaction score
You’re probably correct percentage wise. But dollar wise CA has kept the pace. 250k to 500k in NV, UT, AZ isn’t any different than 1 million to 1.25 in CA. If we are talking strictly in dollars gained.

I think it varies...I was just looking at places in Hurricane.... A run of the mill home that cost 150K 10 yrs ago is approximately 300K now... my place less than a mile from the beach in HB was bought for 750K 10 yrs ago and sells for about 1.4 now... But I agree as value increases the ability to keep pace percentage wise has more headwind. A lot of this value increase in the last 6 months is driven from Covid closures where people want to get out of closed states (CA/NY), "Zoom" towns where people can work from anywhere and cost of living/policies in CA. Although everywhere price pressures are starting to form...they started last year....

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/03312021_pending_home_sales.asp

77charger

Reaction score
Ugh no thanks. OC is pretty nice as far as the geography & proximity to other places, but the people there are insufferable in my experience. They were better off in more ways than one going to Arizona.
lived in oc for 36 years from 12 years old in Laguna niguel was great went to beach a lot also.And seen south oc grow like crazy. Bought house in Fullerton in 2000 liked it location was convenient for work and getting out of town well it is what it is sucked and only hit worse.
I did like that I could hit Belmont shore Sunday morning to chase bouys on my jet ski 25 min drive. But other things I enjoyed traffic made it very hard ca restrictions also impacted other things.
Sold last year made 300k bought in az for us made things we do more convenient lake 30 min away stream fishing 2 hrs away dirtbike riding 30 min away and shooting same distance. I’ve done a lot in ca but like said the traffic has taken the fun out of it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'd say OC prices are pretty relative VS. IE, Unless you are comparing the Newport peninsula / Newport coast to san bernardino. Price increases in Yorba linda, westminster etc are pretty relative to that of Corona, Riverside etc.

My opinion was that other states rose faster in general. Pretty simple... you were able to sell a 700K tiny place in inland OC or a 700K decent sized tract home in corona (during the last major housing boom), and buy a pretty nice 2500sqft house w/ RV garage and pool in Havasu for 350-400k. Now you can still sell the 700k tiny place or Corona tract and the place in havasu is now 550-600k (insert in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, etc)

I agree. Between boomer retirements and working people fleeing the state, I don't think this is anything that we are going to see change going forward as long as CA stays on the same path that it is on.

For me I'd like a lateral move to a huge house in another state, but realistically I'd rather have the stability of a medium sized house with a decent garage, and no payment at all. The prospect of taking my equity and just using it to pay cash for a house is really appealing.

If my kids hadn't been doing in person schooling this year, I think I might have been left already. Could have sold the house in OC and lived in Havasu until we found the house we wanted.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I have a 'Love/Hate' thing about reading these type of posts.
Then I realize how much of a dumb-ass I've been in life, and feel like I have a 'Kick Me' sign taped to my back afterwards. LOl

riverroyal

Reaction score
My house went up 400K in 9 months. 45%. Some of you know Mrs RR is in the home building world, its madness. Material cost and no inventory will not stop this year.
600k is a used small starter home in socal

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I viewed the listings in my city and found my exact home floor plan listed for 1.329M, my property tax payment is $2k. It’s about 5 miles to the beach. I am staying put but maybe I should do a few upgrades

Your ad here

Reaction score
Book report stories from buyers to get into houses? Really? I can't believe this is happening and not looking forward to future home purchases if this becomes a thing.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Book report stories from buyers to get into houses? Really? I can't believe this is happening and not looking forward to future home purchases if this becomes a thing.

We submitted a letter at the suggestion of our agent on some land we were after in January. We were a cash buyer (bare land is not fun to finance..we were going to refi after), but I had specific issues with the property that had to be addressed (fence not on property line, deeded access, and some state lease issue). We offered right at list. Seller is 84 years old.

Competing buyer was an older RE agent/investor who had NEVER stepped foot on the property. It was obvious she planned to subdivide it. She offered $65k over ask, pending financing.

I knew it wouldn't appraise for that given the issues I already had for the deal...we offered a 60 day close, $20k Earnest, etc. We were very serious about the place. We had already spent around $4k in travel/hotels on 2 trips to see it. We wrote a letter about our kids, my wife going to med school and wanting to practice rural, that we wanted to have a bit of ranch, my oldest (10) rides horses and is doing barrel training, etc etc. It didn't matter..he took the other offer...close to 60 days later it fell apart over financing (about 3 weeks ago). His agent called ours...we did not make another offer, he did not address any of our questions/issues...and back on the market it went.

My in laws wrote a letter for their ski cabin..and it made the difference in the sale...we spent our first Christmas there this past year. in some cases they are influential..but not all....and yes it has become a thing. My agent has a boiler plate one to use if needed now that we've learned.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
When we bought our house in Yorba Linda in 1999 we had a meet and greet with the owner that was selling the house by owner. It came down to us and another family. Glad they picked us. The owner did work at UCI Medical in the maintenance shop and got me to bid work there the last 22 years. :p

Cdog

Reaction score

It works! I have a family moving from Minnesota looking to buy in a specific neighborhood in Gilbert up to 900k. I sent out 32 letters & got 1 response in 2 days.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
When we bought our last house, we met the realtor at the house, toured it for the second time and followed him down to his office to fill out the offer paperwork. Got finished, he said let me contact the owner and I will get back to you. We stood up and he said sit down, it will only be a minute. He turns around to the guy at the desk behind him and said, "Hey Willis, I have an offer of $125,000 on your house." Willis says, "Nope, I can't go that low, how about $127,500?" Our agent turns to us, dead faced and says "I've contacted the owner and he has countered at $127,500.
I almost fell off the chair, laughing..... Signed the counter offer and off we went.
3 weeks later, we were watching 30 year mortgages drop 1/4 percent a week. Called our agent and asked what's Willis's motive on the place. He calls me back and says he's got an existing loan and doesn't want to make the payments. He says, rent it from him for his payment and he'll credit you back $300/month and just close it in the next 6 months. We ended getting a mortgage that was 1 1/4% lower than when we started.
Never had such a great time dealing with these old horse-traders. 35 years later, we now plan to sell in the next few months and I know it won't be that easy.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Just opened escrow in Alpine for well over Six Figures over list. Most everything I have been selling is around 50k over list and list was never aggressive. Interesting times!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I am sure that will start to be the norm as more an more people operate on feelings. Try that at the Ford dealer with a new F250 and see how it works out :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It works! I have a family moving from Minnesota looking to buy in a specific neighborhood in Gilbert up to 900k. I sent out 32 letters & got 1 response in 2 days.

Are they the highest bidder? Or do you know?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

You know your stuff Corey. Wish I could've worked with you when we moved here but it didn't work out. Next time

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

We’ve been told to warn sellers about potential discrimination suits that can arise if they read these letters, and are asking sellers not to read them.

I can’t wait to see how the first case will dictate real estate law moving forward.

It’s going beyond commercial, and into private transactions.

Yay racism! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdog

Reaction score
We’ve been told to warn sellers about potential discrimination suits that can arise if they read these letters, and are asking sellers not to read them.

I can’t wait to see how the first case will dictate real estate law moving forward.

It’s going beyond commercial, and into private transactions.

Yay racism! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sellers can discriminate anyway they want. Agents & brokers can’t. I’m surprised you’re hearing that.

There’s no proof anyone would get turned away if they were a protected class unless the agent participated in using that as a reason & we’re not allowed to even discuss such things.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Were you sending to sellers or just home owners?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sellers can discriminate anyway they want. Agents & brokers can’t. I’m surprised you’re hearing that.

There’s no proof anyone would get turned away if they were a protected class unless the agent participated in using that as a reason & we’re not allowed to even discuss such things.

So your client gets a “packet” from a potential buyer, are there are pictures of the potential buyer and their family in it?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Unethical for sure.
But..ive put sweat into my house and would want a good family to own it
I also dont want my neighbors getting investors then renters. Or piece of crap humans.
If i could pick i would.
You can be selective on who buys your car or boat. House is a possession just like those are.

Times have changed. When i was in diapers my parents sold and moved under cover of night. If the people on the street knew a African american family was moving in it would not have gone well.

Cdog

Reaction score
So your client gets a “packet” from a potential buyer, are there are pictures of the potential buyer and their family in it?

Yes. This letter was a Christmas card pic with their 2 yr old son & white lab. Haha!

these are my clients. I’m sending this out to perspective sellers

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes. This letter was a Christmas card pic with their 2 yr old son & white lab. Haha!

these are my clients. I’m sending this out to perspective sellers

Could (in theory) a client try to sue the seller after the fact for discrimination that the house was not sold to them on the basis of some prejudice?

Cdog

Reaction score
Could (in theory) a client try to sue the seller after the fact for discrimination that the house was not sold to them on the basis of some prejudice?

People can sue anyone for anything.

A contract requires willing and able parties.

if one side is not willing for any reason. Tough shit....