WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AC tune up: Worth it or BS?

2Driver

Reaction score
I never do this, but maybe I should? Units run great, 12 years old, I clean the coils and they put out a 18-20 degree differential.

Why bother, they either work or they don't?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I never do this, but maybe I should? Units run great, 12 years old, I clean the coils and they put out a 18-20 degree differential.

They can check/test the capacitors and change if needed so your not without. Check the charge and make sure its full so there running as efficient as possible. I dont think it needs to be done yearly but think every few years is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have mine serviced annually. It’s time, thanks for the reminder [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrollerDave

Reaction score

During a Preventive maintenance, the tech SHOULD check for signs of leaks and possible problems of the line voltage circuit. It may work fine now but if not taken care of it could be a lot more expensive. For example, a burnt contactor could cause hi amps or even weld together and have your compressor run until you turn of the disconnect. A loose connection could cause premature damage to your compressor. Just a couple of examples that most home owners might not catch.
It is definitely more critical if this is your River place where the A/C is pushed to the max in the summertime. Places in cooler climates it’s not as critical, but issues like I described can still become a problem.

DLC

Reaction score
can some one in the know actually make a check list, what should be done / checked in a annual maintenance and how long should it take an experience tech?

I just had a service completed at the HAVASU house - $65 /system I called it annual maintenance when I made the appointment

I have 2 systems one 5 ton for the house Roof top package unit and one 5 ton for the garage split system. the kid was on site for maybe 35-40 minutes He only checked the electrical start up with a meter. I even had the ladder out for roof access....

Thinking back I’m like hey he didn’t even wash out the fins on the condenser...... I feel like I got ripped off, won’t be calling those guys again...

Reactions: DWC

PlanB

Reaction score
I have mine serviced annually. It’s time, thanks for the reminder [emoji106]

Same here. Don't need issues with the heat in Havasu in the middle of summer.

Reactions: DLC

PlanB

Reaction score
can some one in the know actually make a check list, what should be done / checked in a annual maintenance and how long should it take an experience tech?

I just had a service completed at the HAVASU house - $65 /system I called it annual maintenance when I made the appointment

I have 2 systems one 5 ton for the house Roof top package unit and one 5 ton for the garage split system. the kid was on site for maybe 35-40 minutes He only checked the electrical start up with a meter. I even had the ladder out for roof access....

Thinking back I’m like hey he didn’t even wash out the fins on the condenser...... I feel like I got ripped off, won’t be calling those guys again...

Use Carey's Air Conditioning. I think he is a member here. He did my AC install and does my service every year (cleans the coils and checks the system). Good dude.

DLC

Reaction score
do you call him direct or call office and make appointment ?

he actually set up my garage AC and I txt him for service/ maintenance and then nobody shows, crickets.....

QUOTE="PlanB, post: 4067546, member: 21095"]
Use Carey's Air Conditioning. I think he is a member here. He did my AC install and does my service every year (cleans the coils and checks the system). Good dude.
[/QUOTE]

PlanB

Reaction score
do you call him direct or call office and make appointment ?

he actually set up my garage AC and I txt him for service/ maintenance and then nobody shows, crickets.....

QUOTE="PlanB, post: 4067546, member: 21095"]
[/QUOTE]

We setup our appointments via text in advance and then check in a day or so before to remind him. He get's busy so a reminder text is a good idea.

TrollerDave

Reaction score

You’ll get different opinions from people in the know. Different companies offer different things for different prices.
I work at a facility and don’t do DX systems like residential very often.
-Check operation from the stat.
-check filter
- If easily accessible, check indoor coil.
-Clean condenser
-Visual inspection for leaks and other issues like bent lines that could cause a restriction.
-Check electrical looking for burnt or loose connections or components. Take amp readings for compressor and check condenser fan motor
-Some guys put gauges on to check pressures. Some don’t like to do this because you loose a little refrigerant each time. You can check the difference between the supply and return to get an idea.
For those that put the gauges on, they should check for superheat and sub cooling to see exactly what the refrigerant system is doing.
Some of this may be a bit overkill. But these are things that are done to do a more complete check up.
Like I said, all companies and techs are different. Especially if they are in a hurry.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Age wise..I would at least call someone to check it out...

2Driver

Reaction score
Age wise..I would at least call someone to check it out...

True story

Bought our house and it had 4 ACs. 2 ran the garage and the gym and were antiques as the house was 24 years old. The ac guy says I'm surprised they are still working and they probably won’t make it another year. I said I’ll use them to they break.

Fast forward another 25 years later. I never serviced them and they are still pumping. I turned them on today and they put out a 20 degree differential. If I had replaced them 25 years ago I would have replaced the replacements.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
True story

Bought our house and it had 4 ACs. 2 ran the garage and the gym and were antiques as the house was 24 years old. The ac guy says I'm surprised they are still working and they probably won’t make it another year. I said well, I’ll use them to they break.

Fast forward another 25 years later, I never serviced the. and they are still pumping. I turned them on today and they put out a 20 degree differential. If I had replaced them 25 years ago I would have replaced the replacements.

Thats crazy... it may be just me and bc of what I do for a living, but power consumption by the ac's is a big deal. We just swapped out a 15 year old unit over that.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Wife just had our AC and heater replaced. Old unit was 47 year old and still worked. My AC guy quipped that we would never see 40 years again, but the new unit would be dramatically more efficient and quieter.

He also insisted the only reason it lasted is we don’t do the ‘professional’ annual maintenance. I clean coils annually and I change filters (cheap ones) often. He insisted the first time they crack the Freon lines open to put gauges on them, they would never have sealed up properly again. His opinion was that these companies offer annual service to old units with the knowledge that a replacement would be short coming.

Again, his opinion, I’m not a HVAC guy.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
True story

Bought our house and it had 4 ACs. 2 ran the garage and the gym and were antiques as the house was 24 years old. The ac guy says I'm surprised they are still working and they probably won’t make it another year. I said I’ll use them to they break.

Fast forward another 25 years later. I never serviced them and they are still pumping. I turned them on today and they put out a 20 degree differential. If I had replaced them 25 years ago I would have replaced the replacements.
They definitely don’t make them like they use to. They may be way more efficient, but things don’t last like they use to. We had an old Lennox unit where I use to work. It was old when I got there 23 years ago and running great when I left. It had a belt driven condenser fan.

digger

Reaction score

You did.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
True story

I’ve heard a lot of people say that the newer AC units especially the ultra high-efficiency ones don’t seem to last, don’t know if there’s any truth to that or not but I’ve heard it said by multiple people over the years here in Havasu. I’m still using my original 26 year old rooftop package unit, knock on wood. Probably just jinxed myself.😳

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
10 years ago we replaced our entire system with a high efficiency system to take advantage of the energy credit
Everyone said our old Goodman unit is junk
Our new Carrier system failed 3 times and we had to stay at our neighbor's home with that old 20 year old piece of crap Goodman
If it's not broke, don't fix it

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

It all depends on the contractor’s definition of a “Tune up”

On our tune ups my guys aren’t allowed to leave the house until the following items are all checked to be in proper specifications.

Check thermostat function
Change filter
Clean condenser coil.
Check system Functionality in heat and cool.
Verify proper temp rise (heat)
Verify proper temp split (cool)
Check amp draws on ALL motors.
Check all capacitors.
Check refrigerant charge
Check static pressure.
Scope indoor coil
Clear condensate lines and test.
Visual inspection of all components.
Check ducting for damage.
Check ducting for proper air distribution

There are other things we do but will be based on the findings of all these items.

Your AC system is a piece of machinery and DOES require maintenance. You can get by without maintaining it but life and efficiency will be greatly increased with regular maintenance.

digger

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. If its cooling your doing good. Change the filter every 3 months, oil the motors if they have a place to put oil and wash the condenser coil when needed. (Quarterly) Shut off the a/c breaker when you wash the coils, wait 20 to30 mins before turning back on.
To check the charge run the unit for about 5 mins and feel the suction line. That would be the larger of the two copper lines entering the unit, It should be cool to the touch. If it isn't you have a problem.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot of people say that the newer AC units especially the ultra high-efficiency ones don’t seem to last, don’t know if there’s any truth to that or not but I’ve heard it said by multiple people over the years here in Havasu. I’m still using my original 26 year old rooftop package unit, knock on wood. Probably just jinxed myself.😳

The newer ultra high efficiency stuff takes more than a second grade education To work on which is why many shy away from them. 😉

Over 80% of the stuff my customers are buying is VRV which is the highest efficiency money can buy but does require learning mew things as it works different than standard equipment most people have in their home.

77charger

Reaction score
True story

Old house had a 22 year old unit still worked when sold the house. Didn’t do a thing to it.
New house older unit I cleaned coils in august. They were pretty dirty but mage difference after

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you live in extreme heat where a system failure means you have to get a hotel room that allows pets for a week it's a no brainer. Get the units checked.
A 10 year refrigerant leak could = a sudden burnout compressor and that's going to take time and bank to get fixed. Remember they get real cold and seem amazing before they commit suicide.

You should all consider back up swamp coolers. Cheap. They keep a lid on your electric bill when the humidity allows and a great standby when your main AC pukes.
If you can up-duct it into the attic they are really effective.

77charger

Reaction score
If you live in extreme heat where a system failure means you have to get a hotel room that allows pets for a week it's a no brainer. Get the units checked.
A 10 year refrigerant leak could = a sudden burnout compressor and that's going to take time and bank to get fixed. Remember they get real cold and seem amazing before they commit suicide.

You should all consider back up swamp coolers. Cheap. They keep a lid on your electric bill when the humidity allows and a great standby when your main AC pukes.
If you can up-duct it into the attic they are really effective.
Have a swamp cooler here in az tied into the ducting. Ac blower motor went out so had to use the swamper. It worked pretty good. Cooled house to 66 overnight by 3-4 inside temp was about 78-80.

Reactions: TPC

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Warranty requires it, so i do it yearly

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Warranty requires it, so i do it yearly

That brings up another good point. Warranty does require regular maintenance by a professional. We can tell when a unit has not been maintained.

You can’t believe how often we get called out and there’s a brand new Home Depot filter in amd the customer is telling me they have it maintained religiously 😂😂 just like a mechanic would know if you maintained your vehicle or not.

checkrd past

Reaction score
used a few companies for service and each has said, we have a work horse of an unit (29 years old) working great , but all has said its a power hog.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
used a few companies for service and each has said, we have a work horse of an unit (29 years old) working great , but all has said its a power hog.

We just had a 15 year old 5 ton changed out over the consumption factor...and it was just "tired" It struggled to keep the opposite side of the house cool and this last summer was it.. ROI on the changeout was within reason and hopefully no more disparity of temp issues which was the biggest issue.

digger

Reaction score
Have a swamp cooler here in az tied into the ducting. Ac blower motor went out so had to use the swamper. It worked pretty good. Cooled house to 66 overnight by 3-4 inside temp was about 78-80.
We have that same setup in this house the we purchased in Parker. Works great and saves a ton on the electric bill. Just serviced it and installed new pads yesterday.

SixD9R

Reaction score
I live in Pa so my AC is not used as hard as many of yours are and only for 4-5 months per year at that. The unit was installed in 1998 and the only thing ever done to it is cleaning the coil regularly. I say a little prayer the first time I fire it up every year but pretty much planning to run it until it dies.
I know it’s a power hog but I figure if I go ahead and replace it the payback will be long to never. Hearing about some older units you guys are running gives me hope.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Yes.

Not reading through the whole thread, but even a toaster has to be dumped of the crumbs.
Maintenance 101.

kurtis500

Reaction score
For all the tough-guys that keep saying it’s a dry heat, turn off your ac’s now and dont touch them until November.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
In our house at Lake Nacimiento, it had a swamper when we bought it. Ducted into the hallway. Worked well for the bedrooms and a little bit for the living room. Didn't do shit for the other end of the house. I added a window mount low-pro swamper in the dinning room window that I already had and they both cooled the house well. I added a 4 ton heat pump to the existing furnace and ductwork and got rid of the swamper. The comfort went WAY up and there was almost no difference to our electric bill. Remember, the swamper runs constantly although it draws less, and the A/C compressor cycles only a couple few times an hour. Operationally, the swamper isn't THAT much more efficient.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The newer ultra high efficiency stuff takes more than a second grade education To work on which is why many shy away from them. 😉

Over 80% of the stuff my customers are buying is VRV which is the highest efficiency money can buy but does require learning mew things as it works different than standard equipment most people have in their home.
Whats the point of saving $20/month on electricity with a "new and efficient" unit if you have to spend $200-300/year servicing it to keep it alive while an old non-efficient unit runs for 30 years without issue?

77charger

Reaction score
In our house at Lake Nacimiento, it had a swamper when we bought it. Ducted into the hallway. Worked well for the bedrooms and a little bit for the living room. Didn't do shit for the other end of the house. I added a window mount low-pro swamper in the dinning room window that I already had and they both cooled the house well. I added a 4 ton heat pump to the existing furnace and ductwork and got rid of the swamper. The comfort went WAY up and there was almost no difference to our electric bill. Remember, the swamper runs constantly although it draws less, and the A/C compressor cycles only a couple few times an hour. Operationally, the swamper isn't THAT much more efficient.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Well I saw a 200 dollar difference running swamper for half a day. House stayed cool.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Whats the point of saving $20/month on electricity with a "new and efficient" unit if you have to spend $200-300/year servicing it to keep it alive while an old non-efficient unit runs for 30 years without issue?

Let me be perfectly clear. I would prefer People don’t maintain their equipment. So by all means DONT. I’m just telling you how you can extend the life and lower your operating costs.

The old units require the same service schedule. You don’t have to maintain your car either and it will run for some time....But that lack of maintenance will rear its ugly head eventually. 😉

The new basic efficiency units will in most cases save at least 40% so it’s a lot more than $20/month.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I live in Pa so my AC is not used as hard as many of yours are and only for 4-5 months per year at that. The unit was installed in 1998 and the only thing ever done to it is cleaning the coil regularly. I say a little prayer the first time I fire it up every year but pretty much planning to run it until it dies.
I know it’s a power hog but I figure if I go ahead and replace it the payback will be long to never. Hearing about some older units you guys are running gives me hope.

One thing to consider is in all the years I have been doing this, I have never received a price decrease from the manufacturers. So for the most price waiting will ultimately cost you more. Especially in Ca where the energy commission keeps upping minimum efficiency requirements 🤬 5 years ago you could get a full system for 5-7k now that same system is 10-12k.

ssc

Reaction score
It's worth it to me.

Cheers, Steve

Done-it-again

Reaction score
After all this talk about AC tune up I was given a lead on NexGen AC/plumping who services in the IE. Contacted them and had a tech in a couple of days for a tune up. Nothing was broken so I didn't need anyone asap. Tech was onsite for about 2hrs (he was also training someone else) so i believe he spent extra time. Communication was great all around, tech called prior to showing up.

The tech gave me a few things to consider in the future, I had also mentioned I was interested in a return in the master to help with heat exchange (sun sets on our master) We were able to make that happen. So parts are being ordered and a schedule will be set. I will follow up on the work once completed.

Looking for a AC company give NexGen a shot....

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
After all this talk about AC tube up I was given a lead on NexGen AC/plumping who services in the IE. Contacted them and had a tech in a couple of days for a tune up. Nothing was broken so I didn't need anyone asap. Tech was onsite for about 2hrs (he was also training someone else) so i believe he spent extra time. Communication was great all around, tech called prior to showing up.

The tech gave me a few things to consider in the future, I had also mentioned I was interested in a return in the master to help with heat exchange (sun sets on our master) We were able to make that happen. So parts are being ordered and a schedule will be set. I will follow up on the work once completed.

You drop Billdo's name? He works there now.

PlanB

Reaction score
After all this talk about AC tube up I was given a lead on NexGen AC/plumping who services in the IE. Contacted them and had a tech in a couple of days for a tune up. Nothing was broken so I didn't need anyone asap. Tech was onsite for about 2hrs (he was also training someone else) so i believe he spent extra time. Communication was great all around, tech called prior to showing up.

This is something we need to do in our master in Havasu. I end up leaving the bedroom door open because the rest of the house always stays cooler. If we have guests, they are freezing in their bedrooms when I have the temp set at 73. The differential between the master and the rest of the house is too much.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
This is something we need to do in our master in Havasu. I end up leaving the bedroom door open because the rest of the house always stays cooler. If we have guests, they are freezing in their bedrooms when I have the temp set at 73. The differential between the master and the rest of the house is too much.

Its not the perfect fix, as dampeners would probably be better but I also didn't want to cut the flow off to other areas in the house.... So will give this a try. its a 10"x10" return.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks. Glad my guys got you taken care of.