WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sequoia national park

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Headed up with the kids on Thursday for the weekend. Anything must see? General Sherman is on the list other than that??? We are staying in Exeter. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What are you going there in?

Car? Trailer? How big?

We went in my crewcab truck and my 26ft toyhaler. Gotta say, it was slow going at best! Roads are old, small 2 lane deals. It's doable, but you have to be very careful.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods was one place I really enjoyed. Hardly anyone there. Way off of the beaten path.

The hiking trails were beyond amazing.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What are you going there in?

Car? Trailer? How big?

We went in my crewcab truck and my 26ft toyhaler. Gotta say, it was slow going at best! Roads are old, small 2 lane deals. It's doable, but you have to be very careful.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods was one place I really enjoyed. Hardly anyone there. Way off of the beaten path.

The hiking trails were beyond amazing.

Taking the wifes suv. Staying in an Air bnb in exeter. Thanks! We will definitely check that out!

charred1

Reaction score
Headed up with the kids on Thursday for the weekend. Anything must see? General Sherman is on the list other than that??? We are staying in Exeter. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.
You said Redwood National Park, but sounds like you are actually going to Sequoia National Park? Might as well hit Kings Canyon National Park while you’re there.

East Wood

Reaction score
check out Grizzly Falls, up 180. Its in Kings Canyon. Kids will have fun getting wet. Also roaring river falls is a few miles up from there. Another good one.

I live just off 198 West of Exeter. 30 min from my driveway to the Ash mountain entrance. You'll have a blast.

If you have a chance look into hiking buckrock lookout tower.

Anything you do will be memorable.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
check out Grizzly Falls, up 180. Its in Kings Canyon. Kids will have fun getting wet. Also roaring river falls is a few miles up from there. Another good one.

I live just off 198 West of Exeter. 30 min from my driveway to the Ash mountain entrance. You'll have a blast.

If you have a chance look into hiking buckrock lookout tower.

Anything you do will be memorable.

Awesome thanks we will check out the Falls. The buckrock lookout tower looks really cool. Thanks for the tips!

TrojanDan

Reaction score
My 93 year old grandfather lives in Exeter. My mom graduated from Exeter High. Glad she moved down to LA after college. We grew up going to the Sequoias and Kaweah Lake As kids. Still enjoy it. Head towards Hume Lake loop. Big trees in that area. AirBnB in Exeter? Who knew? I would have stayed closer to Three Rivers.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

@TrojanDan
Everything was booked. Plus we lost my wifes grandmother this year. She was born and raised in exeter so its kind of a cool thing for the wife. Plus there is a bit more to do in town if the kids get tired of hiking. Not that Exeter is hoppin.... but three rivers is pretty small.

TrojanDan

Reaction score
My Grandma is buried at the Exeter cemetery along with a number of relatives. Small world. Me n Ed’s Pizza both in Visalia and Exeter are great! 👍🏼

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Moro Rock. There’s several Giant Sequoia groves to visit. Lodgepole area be worth a look. I never made it to Sequoia, always went to Kings when I lived in Sanger. If you make it to Kings, there’s Grant Grove, Boole Tree Loop Trail (accessed via a forest road), Hume Lake is a relaxing place to hang out. Highway 180 to Road’s End (Cedar Grove) is typically closed due to snow this time of year. As mentioned, Buck Rock is between Kings and Sequoia off the General’s Highway. Kings Canyon would be a long day starting in Exeter though, unless you took 63 to 180 and went in direct to Kings Canyon.

The Gateway Restaurant & Lodge in Three Rivers is nice for a meal if you haven’t been.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Crystal Cave on way into Kings Canyon. The kids(and you) will be in awe. Definitely worth taking that tour.👍
We'd always do the cave tour then get to end of Kings canyon, have a picnic, take a little hike and even get in the river water to cool off(in summer obviously).
Hiking Moro Rock for the views is always a hard to beat task. The big trees are cool too but usually the busiest sites. Plenty of manageable trails to walk all around.
Your kids will love it🙂

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Crystal Cave on way into Kings Canyon. The kids(and you) will be in awe. Definitely worth taking that tour.👍
We'd always do the cave tour then get to end of Kings canyon, have a picnic, take a little hike and even get in the river water to cool off(in summer obviously).
Hiking Moro Rock for the views is always a hard to beat task. The big trees are cool too but usually the busiest sites. Plenty of manageable trails to walk all around.
Your kids will love it🙂

The cave looks bitchen unfortunately they are closed until May. Moro is definitely on the agenda.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I don't remeber the name of the campground in Sequoia, but it was 20 miles of dirt road to get there. Mineral King maybe? Terrible mosquitos at night, but it was there I learned about Marmots. They look like land loving beavers, kinda cute. But apparently they often take a liking to eating plastic and rubber parts on parked cars. We were advised to wrap chicken wire around the car when we parked anywhere for a long period of time. Who knew???

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don't remeber the name of the campground in Sequoia, but it was 20 miles of dirt road to get there. Mineral King maybe? Terrible mosquitos at night, but it was there I learned about Marmots. They look like land loving beavers, kinda cute. But apparently they often take a liking to eating plastic and rubber parts on parked cars. We were advised to wrap chicken wire around the car when we parked anywhere for a long period of time. Who knew???

Those little guys were all over the top of Half Dome.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Day 1 woke up at odark 30 and hit the road from orange county. Made it up here at 11. Got lunch at riverside. Really cool place right on the river. Good food.

IMG_20210408_110341382.jpg
IMG_20210408_110603329.jpg
IMG_20210408_110625484.jpg

East Wood

Reaction score
looking good man.

If you have a chance that brewery (Tioga Sequoia) has a restaurant in Visalia called Sequoia Brewing. Great food and all their beers on tap. You will not be disappointed.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
To bad the smell of the pine, sage and fresh air cant come through the computer. Looks like a great trip, Did you have time to fish the stream?

I would love to do some fishing but I don't have time thIs trip unfortunately. The air is awesome, but I still have a hard time trusting air I can't see lol.

looking good man.

If you have a chance that brewery (Tioga Sequoia) has a restaurant in Visalia called Sequoia Brewing. Great food and all their beers on tap. You will not be disappointed.

Nice might try and hit that on the way back home on saturday depending on how long we are in the park for.

Today is moro rock and whatever else I can push the kids to do after.

oldschool

Reaction score
If you and you’re family want to sit inside(no masks required) and eat somewhere, on the way home, try Corby’s in Visalia. It’s a cool 80’s Rock themed restaurant/bar with great sandwiches. Looks like a great time in the park, weather has been perfect.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Beautiful pics. There’s a cool sliding rock out of the Buckskin campground but that’d be a summer thing as the water would be too cold this time of year. Cool shot for pictures tho.

And while brewery would be great for you, the kids might enjoy Superior Dairy in Hanford. A bit of a drive, been there since 1929.

“Lucky’s Wife”

Banana Split
BD7E74DD-922F-4727-89AE-65730A112E49.png

3 scoop sundae
6A3034F0-352B-4D6E-AA37-A7CFC386A920.png

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Just got home what a trip I'm freaking beat. The kids kicked ass. They hiked a total of 15 miles in two days and we only had to carry the girl a few times. Both of them made it to the top of moro rock. We didn't make it up to kings canyon but we have something to go back and see. Highly recommend anyone thinking about doing this to do it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just got home what a trip I'm freaking beat. The kids kicked ass. They hiked a total of 15 miles in two days and we only had to carry the girl a few times. Both of them made it to the top of moro rock. We didn't make it up to kings canyon but we have something to go back and see. Highly recommend anyone thinking about doing this to do it.

Good times. Thanks for sharing! 👍

oldschool

Reaction score
Awesome trip. It’s amazing that we have such an incredible place just up the road from us and hardly ever go there. People travel from all over the globe to go there. I had a neighbor that sold his beer distribution biz in Pennsylvania and moved here just to climb and hike in the park. Glad you guys had a great trip!