WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

@RIVERDAVE NEED YOUR REAL WORLD OPINION

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Ok, you've had the big boy toon for a bit now.

Does it provide any performance feel
Fuel enconomy
Ease of use

Give us the scoop! Sounds like my boat is sold, I am having a real hard time going any direction other than the toon route right now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I can’t speak for all the other brands because the only one I have any real amount of time in is mine..

Mine is huge.. we didn’t get the 25’ version like everyone usually does. We got the 27.. I haven’t measured it but I’d wager this thing is more like 30-32 LOA.. not a problem for Havasu but it’s kinda bug for Parker.. especially going into the keys. It is so damn tall I didn’t think it would clear the bridges so I ended up turning around or backing out of a few canals.. which brings me to my first like.

These things with twins are amazingly docile at no wake speeds.. The DTS etc, just love it.. which is ironic because when they first came out for performance I didn’t like them.. lol

The acceleration on any of these twin toons is mind blowing.. like throw you out of the back of the boat quick. Doesn’t matter if it’s 300’s, 400’s, etc I have ridden in enough of them now to comfortably say that.. the main difference is going to be the top end.. I wouldn’t shy away from one with the 300 V8’s. If you wanted a bad ass setup I think a 25’ with twin 300’s would be a good ticket..

They do ride surprisingly smooth at speed.. Don’t believe the bullshit though that they don’t move around.. A 25-27 anything is gonna bounce around a little when you are running 50 across decent wakes. That said they are smoother than most..

The biggest thing you will notice is in a performance boat when you get to a beach it is all about getting out of the boat.. With one of these toons it’s all about hanging out in the boat.. lol. The more comfortable they are the more ya stay in it. Different brands have varying level of comfort.

I was extremely picky about my interior layout.. I wanted triple couches with a j lounge. The only other version I like is convertible couch where you can sit backwards, or the rear loungers.. Walk off fro my and rear are mandatory for me.. side entrance is even better but not an option with my interior layout.

Are they fun to drive? Coming from my background not really.. but if you were asking me honestly I never thought anything over 26’ was that “fun” to drive.. Making small boats run well in bigger water is “fun.” Big hp v drives and cats are fun.. bug vees are just kinda “lazy” feeling to me.. Big cats are just kinda couches that haul ass on inland water ways.. So from that perspective it is as “fun” as my 270 was to drive..

They are far more “challenging” to drive than most normal boats.. because literally everytime I have gone out in it the loads are wildly different and in different places. Four adults up front and nobody in the rear and now you are trimming the shit out of it to carry the nose.. four or five guys in the rear and nobody in the front and it’s the opposite..

I don’t think any of these things except for the manitou turn for shit.. They do it, but it’s kinda “meh”. I am gonna reserve a little judgement on that because my power steering wasn’t bled right or might be low on fluid.. Barrett is gonna look at that for me today or tomorrow when they do the 20 hour service.

It is kinda cool when they transfer from plowing to planing.. they feel more like a boat then the pontoons of ole..

Dislikes.. turning is kinda meh.. trailering these things is a mother fucker. Not putting it on the trailer but actually trailering it behind a truck. They are giant squares so you don’t get to really see down the sides of the boat unless you got your tow mirrors maxed out and are turning.. They are HUGE on the trailer and tall as all get out so storage is definitely a problem. You have to have a minimum of 12’ wide and 14’ door.. 14’ wide is better if you can find it. I’m getting used to it but I’d rather tow and park any size vee over this toon.. lol Only other dislike is having that many people in front of you can block your view, but that’s just the nature of the beast I guess.. I wish I had some more cabinets or a glove box.. that’s one thing my model is short on.. but overall I think the interior and layout are worth the trade off..

It’s going to be a lot of fun dialing it in and getting the most performance out of it and there is a lot left on the table from every mfg out there.. I am actually strongly considering getting into the pontoon performance business and coming out with a line of products to get the most out them..

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Agree with all the above except the turning.
The turning was one of the high points that sold us on the test ride.
Maybe it's the twins? We have a single 300 with 27" tubes.
I can crank the wheel as hard as i want and it turns on a dime with no lean.
We have a 25' and yes it's big. I liked our 23' a little better since it held just as many people and was more "sporty" on the water if you can call a toon sporty lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have a 25' and yes it's big. I liked our 23' a little better since it held just as many people and was more "sporty" on the water if you can call a toon sporty lol

After I get the steering sorted tomorrow I will go run it again..

DB / HAV

Reaction score
This is great information! Thanks

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I agree and had the same experience with everything Dave said. We just took delivery of our 25’ Avalon with single 300 Merc and Waveglider 27” performance toons and I was pretty shocked at how it doesn’t behave like a barge on the water. It’s quick, nimble, quiet and maneuverable at low speeds. Confident and predictable when overtaking other boats as you transition their wake. We wanted the rear loungers and are loving it.

BFD0DF2E-DEB3-4DAD-8EEB-DD7D14CBCF25.jpeg
795334A8-FDFF-4B38-AD73-8BF6875879F0.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I agree and had the same experience with everything Dave said. We just took delivery of our 25’ Avalon with single 300 Merc and Waveglider 27” performance toons and I was pretty shocked at how it doesn’t behave like a barge on the water. It’s quick, nimble, quiet and maneuverable at low speeds. Confident and predictable when overtaking other boats as you transition their wake. We wanted the rear loungers and are loving it.

View attachment 989735 View attachment 989736
What kind of speeds are you guys seeing with the single 300s?

Reactions: DWC

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

View attachment 989735 View attachment 989736
Your bimini looks like ours. Not sure why they couldn't make it more even when zippered together. And the zipper never closes completely in the middle
Front bimini looks like a parasail at higher speed

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
49 all day long. 51 on a good day. 53 empty
27" tubes scrub a couple mph off but ride is better
Surprised the speed is the same with both biminis up or down

franky

Reaction score
The Waveglider....... it’s quick, nimble, quiet and maneuverable at low speeds yet confident and predictable when overtaking other boat....

Great ad copy! Something from a Mad Men episode with brain storming session. Kidding, boat looks great!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I’m curious to see what a 25 to 27 foot long vessel with the new mercury 600 would run but only a single engine

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Your bimini looks like ours. Not sure why they couldn't make it more even when zippered together. And the zipper never closes completely in the middle

my biminis might be different than yours. Mine zip together starting from one side to the other. No issue keeping it closed.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The Waveglider....... it’s quick, nimble, quiet and maneuverable at low speeds yet confident and predictable when overtaking other boat....

Great ad copy! Something from a Mad Men episode with brain storming session. Kidding, boat looks great!

haha...ya I’m not in marketing but I guess it sounds that way.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

I’ve had it out 3 times and have been crushing at 40-42 and haven’t pushed it past that cause I’m not sure about break in on these things. More is always better I guess. If I had an unlimited budget I’d love to see what a single 400/450 would do on this thing.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I’ve had it out 3 times and have been crushing at 40-42 and haven’t pushed it past that cause I’m not sure about break in on these things. More is always better I guess. If I had an unlimited budget I’d love to see what a single 400/450 would do on this thing.
Our friends have the 27' Avalon with a single 400. I drove it to 51 mph with 6 people. They have the boat loaded with full wet bar too.
Same problem that Dave describes with everyone sitting up front and plowing. Single 400 can't trim up enough

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
first two hours you can run wot for up to 1 minute every 10 minutes
after 2 hours wot for no more than 5 minutes
drive it like you stole it
report back after your next ride
I'm curious your speeds
I was going to have them raise my motor a notch

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I'm curious your speeds

Will do. my motor is set all the way down.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Dave nailed it....

Except ours turns insanely well (Manitou).

Single 400... I’ve hit 63 with just me in it, almost empty. Rides amazingly well, and I can’t think of a better setup for kids and friends.

Boring as fuck to drive.

IMG_6536.jpg

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score

We had an aftermarket bimini made to fit on the factory frame and it looks like one smooth even piece when zipped together. I hated the factory one on our last toon because it never looked correct. Aftermarket is the way to go IMO.

As far as turning, if you have a new performance toon it should turn really well. The Elliptical Shape Toon (the center toon) on our Bennington will turn like a V bottom. I crank it harder than I ever would one of my cats. If all three toons are the same height and shape (typically on the lower models), it won't turn nearly as well. It's all about the center toon.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm curious your speeds
Will do. my motor is set all the way down.
They are usually in a fully submerged position from the factory which, when propped correctly, is great for popping on plane. Getting them up higher will allow the use of a bigger wheel and can gain some good speed...... as long as it can still carry the load up front.

If I were to get one, I'd put a jack plate on it cause like Dave said, the load is always changing. Being able to change your engine height accordingly can really increase performance and efficiency. It would also give the driver something else to do so I'd imagine it would make the driving experience a little more fun maybe?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I know nothing about pontoon boats other than they have come a long way from what I can see.
Especially with the incorporation of twin outboards to not only perform but add some WOW! to the mix.

What is it about the Manitou that makes it turn better?
I don't think I would do it in place of a deck boat, but I could really entertain the idea of one with twins and all the comfort features.
Anchor out in the middle of a nice shady cove and never need to get off except to take a dip!
No setting up the ezup, beach chairs or dragging out an ice chest and no mud being tracked in and out.

Really wish I didn't come into this thread 🤔 🤔

PlanB

Reaction score
I know nothing about pontoon boats other than they have come a long way from what I can see.
Especially with the incorporation of twin outboards to not only perform but add some WOW! to the mix.

What is it about the Manitou that makes it turn better?
I don't think I would do it in place of a deck boat, but I could really entertain the idea of one with twins and all the comfort features.
Anchor out in the middle of a nice shady cove and never need to get off except to take a dip!
No setting up the ezup, beach chairs or dragging out an ice chest and no mud being tracked in and out.

Really wish I didn't come into this thread 🤔 🤔

The Manitou uses a lower center toon on their performance models which enables the boat to lean into turns. Different brands use similar designs to accomplish the same thing. There are some good videos on YouTube...

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The biggest thing you will notice is in a performance boat when you get to a beach it is all about getting out of the boat.. With one of these toons it’s all about hanging out in the boat.. lol. The more comfortable they are the more ya stay in it. Different brands have varying level of comfort.

If they put a windlass and danforth anchor on them, you would beach even less. With the push of a button you could anchor off in a cove or 50 feet off of the beach and you would find yourself only swimming off the boat...

v6toy4x

Reaction score
If they put a windlass and danforth anchor on them, you would beach even less. With the push of a button you could anchor off in a cove or 50 feet off of the beach and you would find yourself only swimming off the boat...

This sounds right up my "old man" alley!

RaceTec

Reaction score
I won't go back to a toon ever probably... (Had it while married with kids) I liked mine but it was just a pain in the ass that was boring to drive... Mine was a smaller 23 tritoon and it moved and towed the kids good and turned very well. Anchoring, towing, launching with any kind of wind or significant current was a pain in the ass. I had times in parker with 3 anchors set and shore tied and if the wind came up we were in the water trying to reset anchors and stuff... I never had any problems with my spectra in the same situation or even worse. They are like a sailboat in the wind beings they are so high profile and draft so little... Not to mention friends moving around blocking your view, changing the weight distribution and causing it to list to one side or the other... Sorry rant over. Just not my thing I guess?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Best part of toons are beaching anywhere even if it's shallow
I have keel guards on the tubes and added the 3M keel guard up front
Pull up to a beach and raise the motor out of the water and beach it
As you can see everyone still sits on the toon having lunch lol
image0000001 (1).jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
I won't go back to a toon ever probably... (Had it while married with kids) I liked mine but it was just a pain in the ass that was boring to drive... Mine was a smaller 23 tritoon and it moved and towed the kids good and turned very well. Anchoring, towing, launching with any kind of wind or significant current was a pain in the ass. I had times in parker with 3 anchors set and shore tied and if the wind came up we were in the water trying to reset anchors and stuff... I never had any problems with my spectra in the same situation or even worse. They are like a sailboat in the wind beings they are so high profile and draft so little... Not to mention friends moving around blocking your view, changing the weight distribution and causing it to list to one side or the other... Sorry rant over. Just not my thing I guess?

If I had to launch and retrieve I would not have a toon either. Having it on a lift in the Marina makes it a very easy boating experience. The biggest PITA is loading them on a trailer. They don't draft much water so they don't center as easy on the bunks like a regular boat. If I gave up our slip, I would probably go to a deck but I don't see us ever having to go back to launch everyday.

cxr

Reaction score
DAAMn you guys are killing me... TOONS are the only things i used to pass on the way up to the sandbar in my yamaha boat (LOL)
now these newer toons are gonna be blowing right past us :(

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Toon playing with planes