WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

MAKE THEM GO TO THE DOCTOR

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
So I got that phone call today.
Saw a friend of mine a few weeks ago and commented he looked like crap. Said anxiety was getting to him. Working 7 days taking care of other people. He saw my wife a few weeks ago and she had to settle him down. My wife commented Saturday that she hadn’t heard from Dave in a couple of weeks and that’s not like him.
He had dinner with another friend last week that commented he looks sick and he would take him to the hospital. Insisted but he refused.
I know it was because he had patients to see.
Dave said he always felt bad because a friend passed and he didn’t force him to seek help. He said it haunted him.
This makes several now that wouldn’t accept help or advise from friends.
Dave passed in his sleep Saturday alone.
All the “God damn it I should haves....”
Make them and don’t take no for an answer. I know you can’t help someone that won’t take it and I don’t feel guilty but God Damn it..

cofooter

Reaction score
Damn, sorry for your friend. :( but perhaps that's the way HE wanted to go......... sounds like as a doctor he knew the consequences. Tough situation!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Damn, sorry for your friend. :( but perhaps that's the way HE wanted to go......... sounds like as a doctor he knew the consequences. Tough situation!
Some how I think he might have known his ticket had been punched and that’s why he was working so hard to finish up patients. But had he sought help he might have gotten through it. He also may have been afraid they’d pull his license before he could wrap it up.

cofooter

Reaction score
Some how I think he might have known his ticket had been punched and that’s why he was working so hard to finish up patients. But had he sought help he might have gotten through it. He also may have been afraid they’d pull his license before he could wrap it up.
Driven by his obligation to help others, I would say that is a legacy that will escape most. RIP!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think he went on his terms, which sounded to be quite noble.
I hope his friends, including yourself, don't hold any guilt. As things are in life, we have both less control, and more than we think. We are powerless to the wills of others, and our own will can power us through anything.
I have taken friends to the doctor, against their will. They walked away fine, and agreed later it was right. I took Pops to the hospital, and he was pissed at me for the first few days. I'm happy he calmed down, because he never came home.
We may choose to think we're in control. The truth is, I think we are really just along for the ride.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your friends passing.

cofooter

Reaction score
I think he went on his terms, which sounded to be quite noble.
I hope his friends, including yourself, don't hold any guilt. As things are in life, we have both less control, and more than we think. We are powerless to the wills of others, and our own will can power us through anything.
I have taken friends to the doctor, against their will. They walked away fine, and agreed later it was right. I took Pops to the hospital, and he was pissed at me for the first few days. I'm happy he calmed down, because he never came home.
We may choose to think we're in control. The truth is, I think we are really just along for the ride.
Exactly, despite the best intentions of others, we all need to make our own decisions. It's personal........

HotRod82

Reaction score
So I got that phone call today.
Saw a friend of mine a few weeks ago and commented he looked like crap. Said anxiety was getting to him. Working 7 days taking care of other people. He saw my wife a few weeks ago and she had to settle him down. My wife commented Saturday that she hadn’t heard from Dave in a couple of weeks and that’s not like him.
He had dinner with another friend last week that commented he looks sick and he would take him to the hospital. Insisted but he refused.
I know it was because he had patients to see.
Dave said he always felt bad because a friend passed and he didn’t force him to seek help. He said it haunted him.
This makes several now that wouldn’t accept help or advise from friends.
Dave passed in his sleep Saturday alone.
All the “God damn it I should haves....”
Make them and don’t take no for an answer. I know you can’t help someone that won’t take it and I don’t feel guilty but God Damn it..

Good call sharing this .......it really could save a life.

About 10 years ago I was burning the candle at both ends with my HVAC biz and I was always feeling under the weather. One day my office manager said "you look like death, I'm taking you to the ER." I ended up driving myself, my blood pressure when I got there was 200 something over 100 something. The nurse said hang on a minute and returned with the entire hospital staff in tow. I was immediately treated by at least 6 people. I was in pretty good shape at the time which probably saved my life. The Dr. said I was having a heart attack in slow motion....all stress induced. I recovered and pay closer attention to my body now. So to anyone reading this, if you are not feeling right go get checked out because it can literally save your life.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, but...

Is there a better way to check out than falling asleep and not waking up?? And in your own bed??

Checking out that way sounds about a million times better than being in a hospital.

Don't feel guilty. He did it on his own terms. Doesn't get any better than that.

Peace.

nowski

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, reserve a place in your heart to keep his memory alive...

One of my older sisters had two open heart surgeries 3 years ago at UT Southwestern in Dallas. While at her 6 month follow up the doctors were amazed at how well she was doing and complimented her on how well her heart was performing. A week later before going to bed she made a comment to her husband that she wasn't feeling that good, he immediately said were going to the hospital to get you checked out. She said you heard the doctors this past week stating how well my heart was doing, she went to sleep and never woke up. During my recent visit to Texas to visit my bil, he to has been dealing with that same type of guilt. I let him know that he was the best husband a girl could ever want and was honored to have him as my bil. I also mentioned anytime you feel guilty think of something funny my sister did to put a smile on your face, that's what she would have wanted to get you through the day. He then shared a funny story and we both had a great laugh, he then thanked me for taking the time to visit and to put him at ease. RIP Sandy RIP...

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, its sad that many people won't even go in a check blood pressure, cholesterol, stool sample, simple easy tests on things that can be treated very easily and add many years to ones life. But this is America so its a choice that you really can't force someone to do what they need to do and this is often the story told at the end.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Good call sharing this .......it really could save a life.

About 10 years ago I was burning the candle at both ends with my HVAC biz and I was always feeling under the weather. One day my office manager said "you look like death, I'm taking you to the ER." I ended up driving myself, my blood pressure when I got there was 200 something over 100 something. The nurse said hang on a minute and returned with the entire hospital staff in tow. I was immediately treated by at least 6 people. I was in pretty good shape at the time which probably saved my life. The Dr. said I was having a heart attack in slow motion....all stress induced. I recovered and pay closer attention to my body now. So to anyone reading this, if you are not feeling right go get checked out because it can literally save your life.
That was my point, it could be a wake up call.