WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reality Check - I’m Getting Old

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I went to Home Depot today to get a toilet. It was up on a shelf about 4 feet high, I pulled it off the shelf and slid it out, holy cow! This thing is fucking heavy! I tried to lift it up and into the shopping cart and couldn’t get it up that high. Damn, this sucks, I don’t have the strength I used to. I went and looked for a flat cart that is only 8” off the ground. Ah, much easier. Now getting into the truck - not as bad as I anticipated. I’ll have to wait for my son to get home to give me a hand to get it out and upstairs. I’m gonna be sore tomorrow. This getting old shit sucks.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Right there with you, retiring and new house can not be a two story!
Bought a new vertical compressor last weekend really NEEDED my two boys or it would still be on the trailer!

I just sat down and had a geritol shot!!!

petie6464

Reaction score
If you're doctor says you're able start strength training. .

TrollerDave

Reaction score
This thread is more pleasant than “The Old Man List” thread.
I rented a lawn aerator a month ago. 20, even 10 years ago, I would not have thought twice about picking it up and putting it in the back of the truck. As I was waiting in line to rent it, I kept looking at it. I walked out, came home and told my son he is going to have to help me.
Being a big guy, it is really a damper on the ego.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm a youngster compared to some, and an old man to others here. When I was 28, I was able to benchpress a touch over 400. When I was 28, I also wrecked my truck and broke my neck...very humbling experience, even depressing at times.

I'm now 44. Developed arthritis in my hands, and some days parts of me hurt that I can't figure how I hurt them. The miles and abuse have made me kind of like a rented pontoon: beat to hell, not too pretty and not very fast. Just like that beat to hell boat, I'm still trying to get on the river, and still trying to have fun!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
not as old as some... its not so much the strength, its doing the work and the next day everything being sore. or like a random ass shooting pain in a shoulder or knee for a week.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I put in a heavy ass Kohler one piece in the truck the other day. Lift with the legs and counter balance by leaning back. It was damn heavy. Wife was impressed. Good thing I didn't shit my pants.
This was a Kohler toilet also - I’ve put in quite a few toilets including one-piece ones and never remember them being this heavy.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I -feel your pain. My right thumb has been giving me trouble the last year. My griping strength is no where near what it used to be. Sometimes it is easier to just use my left to open bottles. getting old sucks but to altethat I’ve sucks more. Make the best of what you got!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Or your balls drop to the floor.

I put in a heavy ass Kohler one piece in the truck the other day. Lift with the legs and counter balance by leaning back. It was damn heavy. Wife was impressed. Good thing I didn't shit my pants.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Back in the day I could carry a furnace over my shoulder and could lift a 5ton condenser out of a truck.

Now after sitting behind a desk for 13yrs I had a hell of a time lifting my 35” tires and ligning up the studs. Eff me

JDKRXW

Reaction score
In defense of the guys installing toilets (I've done a few over the last year or so for some reason), the new ones were all waayyy heavier that the ones being replaced. I actually did a Kohler from Home Despot and thought I would need a freaking crane.
......but then again, maybe Chilli and Mandelon are right - I turned 60 this year 🤨

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
For those that know and those who don't - wait til the wear-and-tear catches up with you. One day last year my shoulder started hurting. Bad. And it got worse. When I'd reach with my right/strong arm it would be shooting pain. Finally go to the doctor: Rotator cuff partially torn. Surgery is my last option as I've done the cortisone shot and I will go get another.

Now I'm really limited in my reach strength and I'm doing more and more with my left arm. I have to re-teach my brain to use my left arm before my right arm otherwise I've done something to antagonize my shoulder and shooting pain is the result. Worst thing is it hurts more when I'm in bed than anytime during the day when I'm upright.

I want to take the 5th wheel trailer hitch out of the bed of my truck. For the first time it looks like I'm going to have to ask someone to help me lift something that I used to be able to lift. 😲

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I purposely go to different suppliers for lumber and concrete, because they have people to lift that stuff into the truck or trailer for me. I can still do it, but I CHOOSE not to compress my disks any more than necessary. Work smarter, not harder!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
For those that know and those who don't - wait til the wear-and-tear catches up with you. One day last year my shoulder started hurting. Bad. And it got worse. When I'd reach with my right/strong arm it would be shooting pain. Finally go to the doctor: Rotator cuff partially torn. Surgery is my last option as I've done the cortisone shot and I will go get another.

Now I'm really limited in my reach strength and I'm doing more and more with my left arm. I have to re-teach my brain to use my left arm before my right arm otherwise I've done something to antagonize my shoulder and shooting pain is the result. Worst thing is it hurts more when I'm in bed than anytime during the day when I'm upright.

I want to take the 5th wheel trailer hitch out of the bed of my truck. For the first time it looks like I'm going to have to ask someone to help me lift something that I used to be able to lift. 😲
If you have an engine hoist, it works well for 5th wheel hitches. I have a buddy that builds 4cyl race stuff. He uses a patient lift from a hospital type deal. It will only lift 3-400 pounds, but takes up a lot less room and is easier to handle.

Cdog

Reaction score

This is why I told u to go with the goose box. LOL!!! I'm 44, bench 380 lbs and go to the gym 4 days a week and I'll tell you first hand taking my reece slider out of my truck is a heavy pain in the dick.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
For YEARS, throwing 94 Lb. bags of Portland & Plastic Cement was standard issue all day . . . . now I'll drive 10 miles out of my way for those little 60 lb. bags of Spec Mix. LOL
And now you moan and groan just getting out of the truck BEFORE you’ve even picked up a bag.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
You guys make me feel old - damn
I’m slowing down a bit lately

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
If you have an engine hoist, it works well for 5th wheel hitches. I have a buddy that builds 4cyl race stuff. He uses a patient lift from a hospital type deal. It will only lift 3-400 pounds, but takes up a lot less room and is easier to handle.
Have yet to build it but I've set aside a bar height office type chair with the adjustable gas shock to help me hoist my 5er hitch in/out of truck. It won't lift it by itself but makes the hitch only weigh a fraction with the assist. It'll end up being the mobile storage stand for it as well.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My litmus test is my spare 33’ Kenati tire/fuel rim on the can am.

I take it off the spare rack every week and put it back up. If I drag the tire vs clean lift, need more weight training.
Good tattle tale of my fitness. 52 and holding 🤣
1CF957BD-5ABE-4FF4-A8D8-E2706D199677.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I purposely go to different suppliers for lumber and concrete, because they have people to lift that stuff into the truck or trailer for me. I can still do it, but I CHOOSE not to compress my disks any more than necessary. Work smarter, not harder!
I need to save my ass for coming home to the ranch , today had to take down a 25’ light poll to change out LED pasture light ( got to cold ) it was fun with wifey running the tractor 🤔 she did a great job , she’s not to keen to hand signs 🤬😂 but nobody died ☠️👍

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The arthritis sucks but now is treatable.

Ben Franklin said in the dark all cats are grey and that applies to me still getting laid by a younger attractive girl.
Yeah the John Thomas still stabs.

Starting to make mental mistakes with everything.