WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What tool to use cut opening for Bow Light?

gqchris

Reaction score
Attention Inmates:

What tool do you recommend to cut into the bow to install one of these? A Jigsaw? I think an airsaw would work but I dont have a compressor where I plan to install it.

What say Ye? I have one of those Oscillating Multi tools also. I already have a smaller hole for the OG light, just need to make it bigger.

Thanks!

31HLpAF6DDL._AC_.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Drill and a fine jig saw, and tape the hell out of the area you will be cutting. Its still terrifying no matter how you do it. After I cut my running lights in I just cleaned it up with dremel, sandpaper would work as well.

gqchris

Reaction score
Drill and a fine jig saw, and tape the hell out of the area you will be cutting. Its still terrifying no matter how you do it. After I cut my running lights in I just cleaned it up with dremel, sandpaper would work as well.
Yes I am very terrified lol....Triple Check everything! Thanks Walt.

Nordie

Reaction score
The finest cuts I have ever made is with a multi tool. They cut amazing just take your time. A Jigsaw will work, but there is a lot of bouncing going on, so definitely tape up the work area if you want to go that route. I would use the multi tool over the jigsaw if you have the choice.

Buddy

Reaction score
Is a multi tool the same as the oscillating tool?

OfftheGrid

Reaction score
If its just a circle cut, tape up the area with painters tape (blue or green stuff), mark the area, double check, triple check and then use a hole saw running the drill in reverse. Learned that trick from Phil Bergeron years ago and it works like a champ. When drilling don't apply any pressure, go very lightly and not too fast on the drill.

wzuber

Reaction score
Die grinder with a fine fluted carbide bit. Firm grip and slow feed, light pressure. Ezpz
you can also use a speed control unit to slow the bit speed.of course tape well and draw your template.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Die grinder with a fine fluted carbide bit. Firm grip and slow feed, light pressure. Ezpz
you can also use a speed control unit to slow the bit speed.of course tape well and draw your template.

This.

Nordie

Reaction score
Roto zip? Or Dremel with a spiral blade? I'd test it to see how bad it will maybe chip the gel coat at the edges. Remember to use masking tape.

I didn't even think about a rotozip, not a bad idea actually.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
@gqchris pretty sure recall reading you are in the OC area. I have a Rotozip you can borrow if you don't have one. I'm in West Garden Grove.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If its just a circle cut, tape up the area with painters tape (blue or green stuff), mark the area, double check, triple check and then use a hole saw running the drill in reverse. Learned that trick from Phil Bergeron years ago and it works like a champ. When drilling don't apply any pressure, go very lightly and not too fast on the drill.
that's how I did mine,.. and I always use in reverse, only forward for the pilot hole...

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
When cutting out holes for my 6 1/2 speakers I used a rotozip and tape. Scary as hell.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
If you use a jigsaw. Use a fine tooth down cut blade and make sure it isn't in the "swing mode" use lots of down pressure and yes tape the shit out of the area! Down cut blade is key here. Otherwise gel will blow out.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Yes I am very terrified lol....Triple Check everything! Thanks Walt.

Remember, cracks form at sharp internal corners, to avoid this each corner should be drilled first with the largest reasonable bit, maybe 1/2", and the connected via jig saw.

Last edited:

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Yep , this way

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Drill Bit and a jig saw using masking tape and a pencil to draw the lines.

That is why they invented the bezel.

Finishes the edges with sand paper and seal up the wood and mount properly.

Pre-drill the holes before adding the drywall screws. :p

Water Romper

Reaction score
What's on the bow now? is there already holes from a previous light? is so, this can get a bit more challenging especially if using a hole saw.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Jeez really. How many posts before it actually gets cut.
I used to love people watching me install bow or mooring covers. Do all my tic marks in light pencil. Owner or someone would see me start drilling and come over and comment about putting holes in a new boat.
I’d say you just gotta go for it. Then start “ measuring ” with my fingers and eyeballing it. They would flip out😂

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
You could pre drill a bunch of small holes As close together as possible around your outline and follow with a jigsaw or rotozip or even a small hand saw. I’ve done that for speakers in gelcoat in a tight spot. Having all the small holes helps you turn the tight radius also as your just sawing from hole to hole.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Jeez really. How many posts before it actually gets cut.
I used to love people watching me install bow or mooring covers. Do all my tic marks in light pencil. Owner or someone would see me start drilling and come over and comment about putting holes in a new boat.
I’d say you just gotta go for it. Then start “ measuring ” with my fingers and eyeballing it. They would flip out😂
Awww come on, what else we got to do, if we wait a bit, we can talk him into redoing his interior too (even if he doesn't need it) :D

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I didn't have an actual Rotozip, but discovered the cutting bits fit into my Dremel. It worked well on multiple occasions through fiberglass/wood. I kept a small shop vac running right by the cut and it kept the debris to a minimum.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Well.............. did ya get er’cut???

gqchris

Reaction score
Update? Need a gelcoat repair referral?
HAHHA thanks fellas. All great tips. Ill report next river trip on the cut. I did get the template cut out with Cardboard. Boat is in storage in Needles and Ill do it before I take her out.

I will be sure to report the outcome. Its more of a square cut with an elliptical.

I also found a video: this is exact what I have!

gqchris

Reaction score
@gqchris pretty sure recall reading you are in the OC area. I have a Rotozip you can borrow if you don't have one. I'm in West Garden Grove.

Thanks King, I may take you up on that one! I really appreciate it!

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
HAHHA thanks fellas. All great tips. Ill report next river trip on the cut. I did get the template cut out with Cardboard. Boat is in storage in Needles and Ill do it before I take her out.

I will be sure to report the outcome. Its more of a square cut with an elliptical.

I also found a video: this is exact what I have!
Just like I said in post # 29. LOL

They forgot to add tape and what blade to use. I would go with something about 14/18 tooth per inch. Take your time.
You got this.

Taboma

Reaction score
I didn't have an actual Rotozip, but discovered the cutting bits fit into my Dremel. It worked well on multiple occasions through fiberglass/wood. I kept a small shop vac running right by the cut and it kept the debris to a minimum.

I've never used a Roto-Zip, but I've tried using my Dremel. Holy Jagged Edge Hell, is the secret using a guide ? Because when I've tried it, especially in wood, the varying density causes the tool to wander all over the place. When I've looked at the Roto-Zips I see mental images of it just zipping where it shouldn't be zipping. 😖

gqchris

Reaction score
Come on guys, its not even winter in here! Really was just asking a boating question!

Ill change my prop while Im at it also.

wishiknew

Reaction score
I've never used a Roto-Zip, but I've tried using my Dremel. Holy Jagged Edge Hell, is the secret using a guide ? Because when I've tried it, especially in wood, the varying density causes the tool to wander all over the place. When I've looked at the Roto-Zips I see mental images of it just zipping where it shouldn't be zipping. 😖
Like on the wires in a box when the drywaller uses it to cut out every box in the house