WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Brief Car Story, Lucky Find In the 60's

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is an older gentleman here in town. He has some cars, some are quite valuable, some are just cool. He has one that is both...to the extreme.

He has one of the earliest Ferrari's imported into the States. In fact, the earliest street, non race, Ferrari.
It is a 1949 "Tipo 166 touring". The serial number is 002. Out of respect for him, no pics of it, or the other coolness...but there is a lot of it there.

The gentleman is a really nice guy. He explained that when he bought it, he didn't know how special it was, he just knew it was old. He purchased it from a man who needed it gone from his warehouse, and he didn't know how special it was.

The year was 1965, I believe he said. The owner of this Ferrari was asking a whopping 600$ for the car, covered in dust, and nearly forgotten. A deal was made for 575$. He has kept it since, and in better care and condition than ehen he bought it.

I've heard rumors of the offers he has turned down. Massive, insane amounts of money. I told him that I had heard he'd turned down some good offers. He smiled and replied that he doesn't need the money, it was the best 575$ he'd ever spent. He enjoys having it more than money. His kids or grandkids may sell it, but for now, and the past 50+ years, It makes him happy!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
2L V12....I can't imagine what that sounds like. Cool car. Cool story.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Great story... friend of mine‘s father had one of the Lemans winning Ferraris probably the ugliest Ferrari ever made...
...I can’t remember whether there were three built or two but Enzo crushed one of them and my friends father a Ferrari expert and collector somehow got one...well after Harvey died his wife was selling a Maserati or possibly a 250 GTO that she had and the guy said what are you gonna do with that old Ferrari and she said I don’t know... he bought it for next to nothing...it is now worth millions....

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wow. About 12 years ago I drove what at the time I think was the highest auction price Ferrari. I think it was a GTO swb 250. The clutch as like a nascar clutch. Off or on. Everyone was afraid to move it around a tight shop.
Depending on provenance that thing will bring multiples of tens in millions.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow. About 12 years ago I drove what at the time I think was the highest auction price Ferrari. I think it was a GTO swb 250. The clutch as like a nascar clutch. Off or on. Everyone was afraid to move it around a tight shop.
Depending on provenance that thing will bring multiples of tens in millions.
I don't know squat about Ferrari's...not my wheelhouse what so ever. I had heard about this guy for years before I met him. Very low key, unassuming fellow. The people who told me about him and the car were much higher in the automotive hierarchy than myself. The truth of the matter will be proven or disproven in the coming years. For now, truth or legend, just badass!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
There was a time that used Ferrari's we're just old Italian cars. It's not like the country is known for making reliable transportation. We are probably very lucky the car didn't end up in the scrap yard. It is nice to hear of an owner that simply enjoys the vehicle instead of looking upon it as an investment.

Most collectible art is like that, rarely appreciated contemporarily, but worth huge sums of money later.