WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB Sinks in Florida

Singleton

Reaction score
Haha no shit. With as many super fast DCB’s out there you would think we would have heard about delamanting a long time ago.

Bingo. Strange place for a delam to occur as well, usually on the running surface. The center pod is right at / above the water line when running hard.
I stand by my statement, hit something or drove over something created a hole.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
My comment didn’t contribute anything other than sarcasm, so I edited it out. That doesn’t look like delamination to me. Definitely looks like he hit something.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
They talk about it ~17:50 in this video. Personally I take all of these opinions with a huge grain of salt but that’s just me knowing some of the characters

Seldom take the time for a 30 minute vid. Thanks for posting,awesome. 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, my guess would be hit something as well. I can only think someone is trying to blame it on someone other than themselves, or maybe insurance covers differently.
Either way, the truth will come out. This incident became high profile, and DCB I'm sure will want to know the truth.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Since I live in Florida...... my first inclination is that he hit something.

It is amazing what you find floating in the ocean. Just last week...... a Mine floated up on the beach in Lauderdale by the Sea. Yes..... A Mine, it was inert, but still......WTF.

A friend of mine hit a floating refrigerator heading to the Bahamas.

I have seen logs, docks, and multiple others things floating....... but still no brick fish or square grouper. I’ll keep looking! Lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rough crowd. Hope you guys are a little more compassionate if my boat ever sunk.
fucked up incident. Someone just sank their pride and joy. 😞 I’m sure there’s insurance and all and everyone’s ok reportedly. But still. Lots of stress and disappointment. Suuuuuuucks for the owners. Heard hit something.

View attachment 990853

This.. I haven’t been on rdp since the boat show started.. I wish people were a little more compassionate when it comes to stuff like this.

I heard the guy hit a submerged object of some sort and it ripped a hole in the bottom of it.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Haha no shit. With as many super fast DCB’s out there you would think we would have heard about delamanting a long time ago.
There can be multiple reasons for a boat to delamante, doesn't have to be a manufacture defect, could have hit something two years ago and started the process, could have had water leak somewhere, lots and lots of variables. any boat can have it happen, and actually probably a lot of boats running around that have issues and owner has no idea, i was looking at buying a boat years ago and it looked amazing, no stress cracks anywhere but one whole side had multiple places it was coming apart, the surveyor found it, i never would have known

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This.. I haven’t been on rdp since the boat show started.. I wish people were a little more compassionate when it comes to stuff like this.

I heard the guy hit a submerged object of some sort and it ripped a hole in the bottom of it.
Weird since you said I should have a sense of humor about the lady and her kid getting hit by the street racer.

As a wise man once said.... C’mon man!

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Can someone explain what exactly you mean when you use the term delaminate?

dave29

Reaction score
If this is my old boat, and it may or not be, constructed with carbon fiber and Kevlar.

dave29

Reaction score
When new
35 DCB1.JPG
35 DCB2.JPG
35 DCB2.JPG

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Can someone explain what exactly you mean when you use the term delaminate?
When boats are built the hulls are put together in layers, starting with a mold the first layer applied is gelcoat ( which is actually the outside of the boat) after that its usually multiple fiberglass layers, now it can have different things like kevlar or carbon fiber, after that the bulkheads will be attached. basically fiberglassed to the the other layers.

Not all companies do it the same way but thats basically the idea, its super strong and light

So now imagine if when being put together the person laying the matt down doesn't get all the air out between layers, or the resin involved is defective or not mixed correctly, now instead of having say four strong layers of matt all glued together you have one of those layers that isn't bonded good to the other, thats probably the most common way they come apart.
Another way is say you hit a wave really hard at a weird angle and it twists the boat, breaking loose a bulkhead from the hull, it might break loose with one layer of glass, two, three? well now the boat doesn't have any support in that area, next big wave it breaks the next bulkhead loose etc etc,

Like i said before i looked at a boat that looked perfect but if you pushed on the hull at different spots it would flex meaning that the outside fiberglass layers were no longer connected to all the inside layers and or the bulkheads, i saw pics of the boat a few years later and it had not just little stress cracks but couple big cracks that ran down the inside of the cockpit ,

The $600 i spent on a survey probably saved me $30k it would have cost me to get it repaired correctly.

Now i'm not a boat builder and don't know all the specifics but i believe that is the general idea

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
As a past cat owner my guess is he saw the object in the water at the last second and with a knee jerk reaction figured it would be better if it when down the tunnel...like a mooring buoy or channel marker. There were many times when I was out running and saw a large piece of driftwood at the last second and my options were either turn the boat abruptly or try and shoot it between the sponsons.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
When boats are built the hulls are put together in layers, starting with a mold the first layer applied is gelcoat ( which is actually the outside of the boat) after that its usually multiple fiberglass layers, now it can have different things like kevlar or carbon fiber, after that the bulkheads will be attached. basically fiberglassed to the the other layers.

Not all companies do it the same way but thats basically the idea, its super strong and light

So now imagine if when being put together the person laying the matt down doesn't get all the air out between layers, or the resin involved is defective or not mixed correctly, now instead of having say four strong layers of matt all glued together you have one of those layers that isn't bonded good to the other, thats probably the most common way they come apart.
Another way is say you hit a wave really hard at a weird angle and it twists the boat, breaking loose a bulkhead from the hull, it might break loose with one layer of glass, two, three? well now the boat doesn't have any support in that area, next big wave it breaks the next bulkhead loose etc etc,

Like i said before i looked at a boat that looked perfect but if you pushed on the hull at different spots it would flex meaning that the outside fiberglass layers were no longer connected to all the inside layers and or the bulkheads, i saw pics of the boat a few years later and it had not just little stress cracks but couple big cracks that ran down the inside of the cockpit ,

The $600 i spent on a survey probably saved me $30k it would have cost me to get it repaired correctly.

Now i'm not a boat builder and don't know all the specifics but i believe that is the general idea
Thanks for the info. I assumed it was the parting of fiberglass layers but really had no idea what would cause it. That makes sense.

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm having a real tough time believing this was a build flaw. My previous post is most likely what happened.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Beautifully depicted and described to me as a non educated boat construction guy... I still have trouble understanding these builds & molds as to how it all comes together.... and I've owned three boats .... I've definitely felt that tweak or twist .... as I get air on a bad sideways launch... right when I land crooked the hull twist... ouch call the chiro and get me some ice set up at home!

GRADS

Reaction score
You're going to tell me that the center sponson delaminated at speed when it's not touching the water? I seriously can't add enough of these emojis...🙄

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 8.42.12 PM.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I am looking at the damage and thinking to myself "Hell yes!" I'd do some glass repair, and run that bitch with two small blocks and Alphas.
Only chance I have of owning a DCB...one that's been sunk and pilfered for it's power. At the speed I'm comfortable with, would be pimp.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Weird since you said I should have a sense of humor about the lady and her kid getting hit by the street racer.

As a wise man once said.... C’mon man!

I think maybe ya oughta read what I wrote again.. and if ya come to the same conclusion get someone else to read it for a different perspective because I pointed out what was obvious humor in the guys post.. not about the incident.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That wouldn’t happen to a “non-center pod” boat.
I think maybe ya oughta read what I wrote again.. and if ya come to the same conclusion get someone else to read it for a different perspective because I pointed out what was obvious humor in the guys post.. not about the incident.
no I got it. Some things shouldn’t be joked about. Like a guys boat sinking.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
You're going to tell me that the center sponson delaminated at speed when it's not touching the water? I seriously can't add enough of these emojis...🙄

View attachment 991359
We’ll Stu Jones said it “blew out the tunnel” so apparently it got enough pressure in there to explode the fiberglass...? 🤔😒

Taboma

Reaction score
I'd think when running in rougher ocean conditions, (Not necessarily that day, but over time) that center tunnel would take considerable abuse .
It might ride high and dry at higher speeds, but often in the ocean those speeds aren't possible and I'd imagine that center pod gets hammered.
He certainly could have hit something, or an accumulated stress failure ?

Duramax

Reaction score
I am confused by that picture. At first I thought, no way it delaminated, but then I look at it more.....I have no clue. He would have had to hit a god dam underwater mountain at speed to make it through that boat. It's a kevlar boat to boot, and I'm also sure DCB builds them solid. Strange