WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Army Lt. traffic stop

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
He should have just done what he was told....He created the environment

Not only that being a LT in the Army he should not sit there and question authority like that.

He wasn't scared for his life...."Whats going on? Whats going on? Whats going on?....."

Watched it again and it looks even worse for the LT

Last edited:

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
I may have missed it, but is there some sort of controversy over this stop?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Here's the full video. My understanding is that this was a traffic stop due to the vehicle not having visible plates (it had temporary plates taped to the back window but the window was tinted and they weren't visible at night) and I don't fully understand the policy to have that start off as a felony stop.

Singleton

Reaction score
Saw a related news article. He drove for 2 minutes once the cops turned on the lights for the stop, saying he was scared for his life and wanted to stop in a lighted area. Any cop after having to follow someone for 2 minutes will be on edge and that is the reason it escalated so quickly once stopped. Do I agree with the cops (not sure), but the stress level went up based on the drivers action (driving 2 minutes before stopping).

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Saw a related news article. He drove for 2 minutes once the cops turned on the lights for the stop, saying he was scared for his life and wanted to stop in a lighted area. Any cop after having to follow someone for 2 minutes will be on edge and that is the reason it escalated so quickly once stopped. Do I agree with the cops (not sure), but the stress level went up based on the drivers action (driving 2 minutes before stopping).

Dude is in the Army and should have known that driving an extra couple minutes would escalate the situation. His fear was that he would be beaten or murdered in the street by the cops?

Ok, you made it to a gas station, it is well lit, cameras everywhere. Why not comply at that point? You know you have heightened the cops suspicions, and they already called for backup. It would have been over and done in 2 minutes had he complied. The guy’s demeanor is fine, I don’t believe his fear is justified, but ok, that is how he feels. If he is that scared why have a standoff in the driver seat. Just get out of the car. The cops can shoot you through the window of the car just as easily if you are standing out side of the car. Again, guy is in the Army, he has to know all of this.

Taboma

Reaction score

I've read countless newspaper articles stating doing exactly that, putting on your emergency flashers and proceeding to a well lit area at night, if you feel endangered.
This was especially the case following the murder of a young lady by a CHP officer after a stop in a rural area in San Diego many years ago.

Those cops should be relegated to trash collection, and the Army Lieutenant, isn't very bright, but when I served, that was more the rule rather than the exception. 🥴

I'm just wondering who was filming him inside the Tahoe ? Did it say ?

USMC2010

Reaction score
I've read countless newspaper articles stating doing exactly that, putting on your emergency flashers and proceeding to a well lit area at night, if you feel endangered.
This was especially the case following the murder of a young lady by a CHP officer after a stop in a rural area in San Diego many years ago.

Those cops should be relegated to trash collection, and the Army Lieutenant, isn't very bright, but when I served, that was more the rule rather than the exception. 🥴

I'm just wondering who was filming him inside the Tahoe ? Did it say ?
He probably has his phone on a windshield mount and started recording at the stop. If I don't have my GoPro with me it's what I would do.

Taboma

Reaction score
Dude is in the Army and should have known that driving an extra couple minutes would escalate the situation. His fear was that he would be beaten or murdered in the street by the cops?

Ok, you made it to a gas station, it is well lit, cameras everywhere. Why not comply at that point? You know you have heightened the cops suspicions, and they already called for backup. It would have been over and done in 2 minutes had he complied. The guy’s demeanor is fine, I don’t believe his fear is justified, but ok, that is how he feels. If he is that scared why have a standoff in the driver seat. Just get out of the car. The cops can shoot you through the window of the car just as easily if you are standing out side of the car. Again, guy is in the Army, he has to know all of this.

Army Lieutenants ---- Hmmm, well there's that collegiate factor, either prior or during, many join to get the educational bennies and many Army Lts are not held in high regard by their flock. 😖

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Sad state of current affairs, everyone on high alert understandably.
He should have just done as instructed, no visible plate and 2 minutes before pulling over? Cops have no idea who they are dealing with and want to make it home.

one will be home a little more than what he planned till he finds another job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Thankless, nearly impossible job to make it through a day without some bullshit...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Limo tint on windows blocks out view of temp plates and prevents cops from seeing who is in vehicle.
Guy does not make expedient stop out of fear (irrational but if that is how he feels then OK), cops become more apprehensive about stop.
Now in a well lit public area but still refuses to exit vehicle and cops are unsure about other occupants due to tint.
Guy refuses to comply with Leo directive.
It's amazing that this didn't end up worse.

Regardless what skin tone you are, if you don't want to get fucked up by cops then you should do as requested and 99.999% of the time it will be over in a few minutes without incident or drama.

Singleton

Reaction score

100% agree, driver should of known better and once asked to do something, just do it.
I learned a long time ago, when PD asks you to do something, following directions reduces the time on the side of the road.

reminds me of the time I got pulled over by the police in Rocky Point for speeding. I was doing 20 and passed a car on a dirt road (posted speed was 45). PD pulled over all 4 vehicles that passed the slow car over at gun point. Told us to follow them to station by JJ’s (house we rented was 5 down from JJ’s). At the station they asked if we were speeding; I said I was going apx 20 but should of slowed down more to limit the dust behind me when passing. Drivers of the other cars all argued with the cops. Cops said to me $20 and you can go. I paid and left. 3 hours later we were running into town and the 3 other vehicles were still at the station. Ran into that group the next day, all 3 drivers were detained for 6 hours and had to pay $200. Life is easier if you follow directions

Taboma

Reaction score
Limo tint on windows blocks out view of temp plates and prevents cops from seeing who is in vehicle.
Guy does not make expedient stop out of fear (irrational but if that is how he feels then OK), cops become more apprehensive about stop.
Now in a well lit public area but still refuses to exit vehicle and cops are unsure about other occupants due to tint.
Guy refuses to comply with Leo directive.
It's amazing that this didn't end up worse.

Regardless what skin tone you are, if you don't want to get fucked up by cops then you should do as requested and 99.999% of the time it will be over in a few minutes without incident or drama.

Yet after the fat screaming cop was at his door, this Lt was in a bit of a conundrum --- in order to exit, it would require him a drop a hand to his waist to unbuckle his seat belt. Doing so would have surely caused fat boy to shoot, fat boy wouldn't listen, only kept repeatedly screaming. My point is --- and I've seen this countless times --- maybe the cops need to curtail or tone back the bitch screaming and actually communicate more rationally. Thereby giving this Lt the opportunity to explain --- " Officer I need to remove my belt, don't shoot me "
Dumb fucking cop keeps macing him, the attempts to drag him out while he's confined by the belt -- it was like a fucking Keystone Cops movie.
Dumb, Dumber and Dumber # 2 is what I witnessed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I see 2 police officers that need to be retrained, talk about over reaction

What would you have like to have liked to see happen? That could have been deescalated in 20 seconds had the driver complied.

SUV with no tags and tinted windows, does not pull over for 2+ minutes, and won't comply to get out of the car when asked. The first 2 things are fine, but you are never going to have success adding in the 3rd.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I was at Pomona swap meet one time, 2 Sheriffs walk up next to me on each side, one says come with us...
I ask what’s up?
Real serious, just come with us.
Get over by their car, more Sheriffs, empty your pockets, where did you do time, got any tattoos?
I stayed calm answered the questions, someone had told them I was passing counterfeit money. I wasn’t, they checked my bills, apologized for the drama and cut me loose. They HAD to do their job, I stayed cool no problem. They were different races than me, no problem.
If I had not listened or followed instructions, then it could have gotten real ugly for no reason.
He should have asked permission to release the belt and followed instructions.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
apparently the car had dealer plates

Guy should have gotten out of the car when asked. You always should. The cop doesn't know what you intentions are.

Everyone one of my cop friends would have handled that better.

Very curious - what was the original reason for the stop ?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yet after the fat screaming cop was at his door, this Lt was in a bit of a conundrum --- in order to exit, it would require him a drop a hand to his waist to unbuckle his seat belt. Doing so would have surely caused fat boy to shoot, fat boy wouldn't listen, only kept repeatedly screaming. My point is --- and I've seen this countless times --- maybe the cops need to curtail or tone back the bitch screaming and actually communicate more rationally. Thereby giving this Lt the opportunity to explain --- " Officer I need to remove my belt, don't shoot me "
Dumb fucking cop keeps macing him, the attempts to drag him out while he's confined by the belt -- it was like a fucking Keystone Cops movie.
Dumb, Dumber and Dumber # 2 is what I witnessed.

The screaming could have been avoided had he complied for the preceding several minutes. What is your expectation rolling up on a car with no plates, limo tinted windows, that won't pull over?

The cops may have overreacted, the driver was very calm, but lets be honest, that would have been very easy for the driver to diffuse if he had exited the car after the first command to do so.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The screaming could have been avoided had he complied for the preceding several minutes. What is your expectation rolling up on a car with no plates, limo tinted windows, that won't pull over?

The cops may have overreacted, the driver was very calm, but lets be honest, that would have been very easy for the driver to diffuse if he had exited the car after the first command to do so.

Except for the seatbelt problem - if he dropped his hands he's fucked

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Here's the full video. My understanding is that this was a traffic stop due to the vehicle not having visible plates (it had temporary plates taped to the back window but the window was tinted and they weren't visible at night) and I don't fully understand the policy to have that start off as a felony stop.

Just had time to view this. It is a bummer on all sides. It is sad it had to escalate to what it did. It was nice to see things deescalated and some civil conversation after things calmed down.

Taboma

Reaction score

First off, the proceeding to a well lit area has been recommended numerous times by the media and LEO here in San Diego. I have advised my wife to proceed similarly, do NOT pull over in a rural area, because not all cars with flashing lights are in fact COPS.
The report stated he put his flashers on and proceeded to a well lit area -- I see no problem with that and his intentions were identified and he abided by the law while doing so --- IE, did not attempt to flee.

Cop # 1 is screaming for him to extend his hands where he could see them --- also screaming to exit the vehicle --- OK, well BOTH can not be accomplished simultaneously, it requires him to use ONE hand to unbuckle.

Same happens when fat cop # 2, shows up --- again, screaming like some insane bitch, yet the LT remains calm and attempts to communicate, the fucking cops won't have it.

The LT should have complied, the cops should be fired, they're in the wrong business, and they're damn lucky they didn't shoot the dumb fucking LT.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

The driver was the only calm one there, you are right on the screaming could have been avoided..... if the officers acted like professionals

Bear Down

Reaction score
As with 99% of all LEO use of force incidents....if you just Effen Listen, all this goes away. The Lt. Got exactly what he wanted and by firing the police officer the city admitted some level of culpability. Lt. Had the phone/camera placed perfectly, he didn't look worried/scared or even nervous and the time it took him to repeat "whats going on" he could have been out of the car. He is a smart guy and the result is exactly what he calculated to happen once stopped. Shit like this drives me crazy and the sympathy that is given is mind blowing. Sure you might not like getting pulled over...but don't give reasons to get pulled over if that is the case. The cops were a bit uptight, but from what I read its a pretty small town with a handful of officers, so I am sure they don't get these types of resistant stops often. Wrong way to get paid IMO..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Except for the seatbelt problem - if he dropped his hands he's fucked

Yes.. he was getting a couple mixed signals from the cops. I think the cops could have done better. Had he opened the door when first asked, they could have got a better vantage point and he probably would have been fine. They were going to tazer him, then, not shoot him. Not that the driver knew that in that moment.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The driver was the only calm one there, you are right on the screaming could have been avoided..... if the officers acted like professionals

I think the officers could have handled the first minute a little better for sure.

TrojanDan

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Taboma . One cop is yelling to keep your arms in the air and another cop is yelling get out of the car. Plus he still had his seatbelt on which would have required him to lower one hand back into the car to unbelt. Pretty sure my ass would keep hands in the air so I don’t die unbuckling myself.

Carrera205

Reaction score
This dude is a fukn moron and obviously playing the race card to try and get his payday. Driving in a blacked out suv doesn’t pull over right away then doesn’t comply with officers. Then pulls the “I’m serving the country and this is how I’m treated” bs Anyone can buy a Fukin camo long sleeve and say that shit. He was acting exactly how all the other idiots that resist, don’t comply and then end up pulling a gun out act. So the officers had every right to have their guns drawn. That dude is an embarrassment to the fine men and women of the military.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
These threads always do better in the P&G section, would be nice if this went there.
PD is govt. related 24/7, frees up the lounge for less drama IMHO

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Thanks inmates - no need for me to watch the video when I have your excellent input

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Why the stop in the first place?
Speeding?
Robbery w matching vehicle description 10 min earlier?
Stolen vehicle suspicion?

Or just a dealer plate pull over from a couple of bored guys ?

I can see the cops getting would up tight depending on what the preceding ocirumstace was.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
These threads always do better in the P&G section, would be nice if this went there.

IMO LEO-related topics are not political except in the stories where the LEO are being screwed by the politicians

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Why the stop in the first place?
Speeding?
Robbery w matching vehicle description 10 min earlier?
Stolen vehicle suspicion?

Or just a dealer plate pull over from a couple of bored guys ?

I can see the cops getting would up tight depending on what the preceding ocirumstace was.

Limo tint = no visible registration, they could not see it in the window. Then he didn't pull over for a couple minutes, then the driver said he's not going to get out.

Watching the longer video when they were talking with him towards the end, the cop said that he has no problem with the pulling to a well lit area to stop, but things escalated when he didn't comply to exit the vehicle.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Limo tint = no visible registration, they could not see it in the window. Then he didn't pull over for a couple minutes, then the driver said he's not going to get out.

Watching the longer video when they were talking with him towards the end, the cop said that he has no problem with the pulling to a well lit area to stop, but things escalated when he didn't comply to exit the vehicle.

Car had dealer plates according to the story posted - not " no registration"

On the tint lets walk through this - as the car drove by them on a rural road at night they couldn't see inside and that is a reason to pull them over. hmmmm

On the getting out part we agree - you do WTF the cop asks - expect for those pesky hands.

He's got to drop at least one twice or both once - once to open the door, once to take off his belt.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score

Why, so contributors who aren't agreed with can be humiliated, demeaned and called names with impunity ?
Or perhaps put on the stand by one of our well trained public interrogators ?
That place is nothing but a circle jerk club for some and a masochistic gauntlet for others.
Although, I think Regor is cool. ;)
:rolleyes:

On 2nd thought, sure why not, then maybe my Solar Plumber thread would get more traction with less drama as competition. 😁

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Car had dealer plates according to the story posted - not " no registration"

On the tint lets walk through this - as the car drove by them on a rural road at night they couldn't see inside and that is a reason to pull them over. hmmmm

On the getting out part we agree - you do WTF the cop asks - expect for this pesky hands

He's got to drop at least one twice or both once - once to open the door, once to take off his belt.

The paper reg was behind the glass and couldn't be seen. There was no plate or dealer plate on the car.

Those cops don't come off as racists or bad cops after you watch the 30 minute video. They said they would have told the guy to put the reg where it can be seen like it is supposed to be and he would have been on his way.

DLC

Reaction score
The cops could have communicated ALOT better, they control the situation!

The LT should have rolled down his windows and turned in his interior light

If the 2 Barney’s could see inside the car he probably didn’t need to get out of the car

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The paper reg was behind the glass and couldn't be seen. There was no plate or dealer plate on the car.

Those cops don't come off as racists or bad cops after you watch the 30 minute video. They said they would have told the guy to put the reg where it can be seen like it is supposed to be and he would have been on his way.

Trying to find the description I read earlier, but if there was no plate at all dealer or otherwise it make a ton more sense.

The news headline is whats racist - How did the cops know the race of guy?

"Police Pull Guns On Afro-Latino Army Officer In Traffic Stop"

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
This stop would have ended with zero drama if he simply complied and exited the vehicle. Reeks of a set up for a law suit.

Cops acted accordingly based on every bit of training I ever went through, in fact, they were a bit over cautious which is not really a bad thing on the civil lit side of things.